Yesterday Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Cheddarhead
  • 1 Post By BCRSS
  • 1 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By confinoj
  • 5 Post By MattyGS
  • 1 Post By kyzer soze
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 5 Post By avsBuddy
  • 2 Post By GalvatronType_R
  • 2 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By robnix
  • 2 Post By Jive Turkey

post #1 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Yesterday Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Jack’s life is changed forever when he discovers he is the only person on earth who remembers the music of The Beatles and must decide if he truly wants the spotlight, or if all he needs is love, after all. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Yesterday from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC/HDR10+
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Ed Sheeran, Kate McKinnon
Directed by: Danny Boyle
Music by: Daniel Pemberton
Written by: Richard Curtis
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: September 24, 2019

"Everyone in the World has Forgotten The Beatles. Everyone Except Jack…"

Synopsis:

“Jack’s life is changed forever when he discovers he is the only person on earth who remembers the music of The Beatles and must decide if he truly wants the spotlight, or if all he needs is love, after all.” – Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

Jack Malik is a struggling singer-songwriter in an English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie. After a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed. Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, Jack becomes on overnight sensation with a little help from his agent.

I love movies. I love them because they have the power to stir our imagination, invoke emotion and, bring us back to various points in our lives through the stories that remind us what it was like at a particular time. Of course, there is more to it but, you get my meaning. Yesterday at its heart is a romance but, by the time you realize that you have been taken on a journey as seen through the eyes of Jack Malik, an everyman trying to find his niche in the world, who is suddenly faced with a bizarre circumstance that will bring him full circle.

Yesterday asks a lot from the audience as its off-beat narrative and blended themes could prove frustrating for exacting viewers. However, giving in to its whimsical elements and pointed attempts to pay homage to one of music’s most influential bands, you may just find yourself completely taken in by its charm. I watched Yesterday with my wife and son and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The chemistry between Himesh Patel and Lily James is simply wonderful. Patel’s vocals are icing on cake as he delivers the goods via his rendering of the various classic Beatles songs featured in the film.

Is Yesterday perfectly executed? Perhaps or perhaps not but, it’s most certainly a spirited, fun and feel good film that has its heart in the right place. I look forward to revisiting it.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for suggestive content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Yesterday comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Yesterday garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Its presentation in Ultra HD, was rendered from an 8K source/4K DI. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue, red, and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated. Secondary hues look great as well. The increase in resolution is apparent, allowing the detection of minutia, even in wide angle shots, to be appreciable. Close-ups tend to offer better refinement and deeper resolvable textures on surfaces, clothing, and physical features, compared to the Blu-ray.

The same is true when comparing the video's dynamic range. Exterior sequences offer added punch, especially that take place in the light of day, such as the various exterior sequences in England, where the sun reflects off of objects etc. The darkened highlights in the film’s low-lit environs, have appreciable dimension and resolvable detail. I didn’t find that the film showcased high dynamic range as there weren’t any defining visual elements that drew upon its strengths but, in general I thought that the image looked excellent. Viewing Yesterday in Ultra HD wasn't a format defining experience however, I think its improvements makes it an easy choice for UHD fans.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that made effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a blend of atmospherics and discrete effects. When applied it creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. There are a multitude of set pieces that show off the track’s blend of music and, smaller object sounds that create a wonderfully involving listening experience, that broadens the soundstage. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere as well as the integration of discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and drew me into the film when it mattered most.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Yesterday comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent video quality that exhibits high level detail, stable sharpness and revealing definition. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. When called for, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the spectrum of secondary hues.

Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives brightly lit scenes without whitewashing detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which emboldens sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure that enhances depth perception. This is a solid presentation that looked terrific on my big screen.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD surround mix does a great job presenting the track’s recorded elements. This soundtrack runs the gamut between passages of spoken dialog and music to engaging sequences that deliver enriching surround sound. Dialog rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Dynamic range is excellent as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior clarity and palpable deep bass transients.

Clarity is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving as effects are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. I had a great time with this soundtrack and appreciated the attention to detail that went into its design.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Yesterday Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Yesterday Blu-ray
    • Alternate Opening*
    • Alternate Ending
    • Deleted Scenes
    o Corden & Roxanne – Includes deleted performance by Himesh Patel of “Something”
    o Late for School
    o Nutters Italian Ice Cream
    o Sortisimus
    o Moscow Audience
    o Alexa
    o A Gonk
    o W Hotel
    o Jack Calls Ellie
    o Hilary in the Mirror
    o Nick and Carol
    o Hazel's Selfie
    • Gag Reel*
    • Live at Abbey Road Studios - Watch Himesh Patel perform "Yesterday", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and "Let it Be" at Abbey Road Studios.
    o "Yesterday"
    o "I Want To Hold Your Hand"
    o "Let it Be"
    • Ed Sheeran: From Stadium to Screen* - Acting in his first major role, Ed Sheeran reflects on his experiences making the movie.
    • Agent of Comedy: Kate McKinnon* - Kate McKinnon shares how eager she was to play the role of "Debra Hammer" while the cast and crew reflect on the fun and energy that the queen of improvisational comedy brought to the set.
    • A Talented Duo* - Richard Curtis and Danny Boyle, two of the most successful British filmmakers, team up for the first time.
    • Playing for Real* - The re-interpreting of the Beatles songs was a huge undertaking for newcomer Himesh Patel. Learn how he spent months learning to play the songs perfectly as the production decided to take the more challenging route of recording the musical numbers live on set.
    • Soul Mates* - Beyond the music and the laughs, the film is, of course, a love story. This piece looks at the relationship between Jack & Ellie and the actors playing them.
    • A Conversation with Richard & Ed* - Long-term friends Richard Curtis and Ed Sheeran have a funny and informal chat about the making of YESTERDAY.
    • Feature Commentary with Director Danny Boyle and Writer/Producer Richard Curtis
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

Yesterday may not resonate with all audiences, especially those that don’t have an appreciation for its whimsy and musical homage but, I found it to be delightful and fun. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack featuring sparkling overall video quality, excellent lossless sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos sound mix and a fan friendly supplemental set. Yesterday is well worth checking out and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
DesertDog likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Saw this in the theater on a whim, absolutely loved it. A couple of nice scenes for us older Beatles fans ( I won't spoil them here.)

Glad it comes across on the UHD presentation. Definitely adding to my collection.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Anything to do with "The Beatles" I am in.
Thank Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Thanks for bringing another little known movie to my attention Ralph. This one is definitely going on my rental queue immediately! As the previous posters have said, I love the Beatles and this movie is bound to bring back lots of great memories of my youth!

Cal68
Ralph Potts likes this.

Cal68
post #5 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
When I first saw this trailer I couldn’t wait to see it. The critics didn’t like it so much from what I had read but my wife and I loved it. A unique and very entertaining movie. And all that Beatles music! Can’t wait to watch it again. Just bought the disc + digital UHD on Vudu.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #6 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
I'd like to see what the MCU and Kevin Feige can do with this film.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #7 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I was dragged kicking and screaming to the theater to watch this movie. Did not like it at all. I'm waiting for a two hour refund of my life.

I found it maudlin, manipulative, trite, and insincere. It was a thinly veiled excuse to showcase Beatles songs and maybe increase some downloads. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that I DESPISE the Beatles and their songs and every time I hear John or Paul's voices or hear Imagine, I want to go out and punch someone in the mouf.

One good note is that the lead has a great singing voice that somewhat improves sickening and appalling songs.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #8 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I was dragged kicking and screaming to the theater to watch this movie. Did not like it at all. I'm waiting for a two hour refund of my life.

I found it maudlin, manipulative, trite, and insincere. It was a thinly veiled excuse to showcase Beatles songs and maybe increase some downloads. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that I DESPISE the Beatles and their songs and every time I hear John or Paul's voices or hear Imagine, I want to go out and punch someone in the mouf.

One good note is that the lead has a great singing voice that somewhat improves sickening and appalling songs.
Yet you felt the need to share this. Smh.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that I DESPISE the Beatles and their songs and every time I hear John or Paul's voices or hear Imagine, I want to go out and punch someone in the mouf..
Perhaps lol???

Anyways I’m looking forward to seeing this, big fan of Danny Boyle.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #10 of 21 Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I liked the movie a lot. I wish they would have went full MammaMia mode and given us full songs sung by him in context of the movie. They could have done it on this release but chose not to. Oh well.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
I watched this last night and went into it with zero expectations. I felt very engaged for the first hour of the film, but the second half it lost me a little. Maybe I was expecting some soft of payoff? Decent movie, and I would watch it again for the music. The video is razor sharp and the audio is fine.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
This idea would have made a great Monty Python movie. Of course it would be Eric Idle as the only man who remembered "The Beatles". It's probably better that Danny Boyle got ahold of this. Thanks for the review Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #13 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
I'd like to see what the MCU and Kevin Feige can do with this film.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Only Ant Man can remember the Beatles...

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #14 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Not a Beatles fan but I found “Yesterday” to be kind, entertaining and well made musical. Instead of forcing songs to fit plot, like most musicals do, music here is presented completely organically and is well sang. While my wife was completely underwhelmed by La La Land, she loved Yesterday and believed characters on screen. Highly recommend for a relaxing movie night.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Not a Beatles fan but I found “Yesterday” to be kind, entertaining and well made musical. Instead of forcing songs to fit plot, like most musicals do, music here is presented completely organically and is well sang. While my wife was completely underwhelmed by La La Land, she loved Yesterday and believed characters on screen. Highly recommend for a relaxing movie night.
Very much agree as a musical, but not in the stereotypical break out into song and dance.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

perhaps? As if that is a question :P
post #17 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
perhaps? As if that is a question :P
I was waiting for Yoko Ono to show up and ruin everything. Again.
Reddig and Hairsonfire like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #18 of 21 Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Absolutely loved it. A fun way to spend two hours. Great review Ralph...totally agree on the A/V!
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #19 of 21 Old 09-20-2019, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 6100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Absolutely loved it. A fun way to spend two hours. Great review Ralph...totally agree on the A/V!
Greetings,

Definitely. Thanks for chiming in Dave!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn and tenthplanet like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #20 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Can we talk about what a consistently great director Danny Boyle is? Film releases alone he's got a nice little catalog built up of films that vary across genres. Imagine the guy that directed the horrific and violent 28 Days Later also directed the utterly charming and quirky Yesterday.

Yesterday
T2 Trainspotting
Steve Jobs
Babylon
Trance
127 Hours
Slumdog Millionaire
Sunshine
Millions
28 Days Later...
The Beach (ugh)
A Life Less Ordinary (ugh)
Trainspotting
Shallow Grave

There's really only two there that I would consider bad, the rest are very good to great to genre changing classics. Add to this his TV work, the Olympics opening ceremony, and his DJing gigs, he's quite the chameleon, and deserving of more accolades and recognition than I think he gets.
Ralph Potts and Emaych like this.

Looky here!
post #21 of 21 Old 09-29-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 461
We had two sets of guests over on Friday and Saturday nights, both of which wanted to see this in our Theater. I watch many movies over again (and again), but not usually two nights consecutively (or anywhere close to). I enjoyed the second viewing more, and I'm not quite sure why.

Beatles fan.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 09-30-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page