Toy Story 4 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
  • 8 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By SnellTHX
  • 1 Post By SnellTHX
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By morphinapg
  • 1 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By morphinapg
  • 3 Post By muffinmcfluffin
  • 2 Post By wkingincharge
  • 1 Post By audiofan1
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6141
Toy Story 4 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

When a new toy called "Forky" joins Woody and the gang, a road trip alongside old and new friends reveals how big the world can be for a toy. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Toy Story 4 from Disney Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney - 2019
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Annie Potts, John Ratzenberger, Wallace Shawn, Laurie Metcalf, Joan Cusack, Estelle Harris, Bonnie Hunt, Jeff Garlin, Keanu Reeves, Christina Hendricks, Keegan Michael Key, Jordan Peele, Tony Hale
Directed by: Josh Cooley
Music by: Randy Newman
Written by: Stephany Folsom, Andrew Stanton
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: October 8, 2019

"The World Just Got a Whole Lot Bigger"

Synopsis:

When a new toy called "Forky" joins Woody and the gang, a road trip alongside old and new friends reveals how big the world can be for a toy.

My Take:

In Toy Story 4, the toys are back and geared up for a whole new adventure. Woody has always been confident about his place in the world, and that his priority is taking care of his kid. Now that Andy has gone off to college, Woody’s loyalty is to Bonnie. As Bonnie gears up for kindergarten on orientation day she’s feeling a little apprehensive and, Woody just has to help, even if it means digging through a trash can to retrieve a few art supplies for his kid.

The effort is a resounding success, but when Bonnie’s beloved new craft-project-turned-toy, “Forky”, declares himself trash and not a toy, Woody takes it upon himself to show Forky why he should embrace being a toy. Woody, Forky and the rest of the gang accompany Bonnie on her family’s road trip excursion, which leads Woody to an unexpected reunion which will impact his world like never before.

I love the first three films and couldn’t help but wonder why the need for another after eight years, especially in light of the events of the last film. As a family we are all fans of Toy Story, its iconic characters and heartwarming tales about the toys we have come to know so well. In this film we get a quick flashback to the time when the toys were still with Andy in order to establish an important plot point. After that it comes to the present where we see Woody struggling to find his place in Bonnie’s imagination as she plays with her toys. His sense of loyalty and duty to Bonnie and his fellow toys in an important element in the film. When they hit the road, Woody suddenly finds himself faced with several decisions that given his new perspective on life, will take him to a crossroads.

As with past Toy Story films Toy Story 4 has a heartwarming essence and spirit of adventure. What I found interesting and extremely well done here was handling of Bo and the role she played in helping Woody to re-examine life as a toy and what that meant on the two sides of the coin. The subplot involving the antique shop and carnival experience was quite good as well. I really did enjoy Toy Story 4 but, not as much as I thought I would. That isn’t to take anything away from it but, I really felt a sense of closure as the last film and, this film just seemed to take closure to an additional level that it perhaps didn’t need. Having said that, I have zero complaints about revisiting the gang and reveling in another story that give me the opportunity to experience their magic.

Toy Story is an endearing, timeless and classic animated saga that can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next. Thank you to Disney/Pixar for bringing us these films with tender loving care.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The film is appropriate for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Toy Story 4 comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

I watched the Blu-ray version of Toy Story 4 first, so going into viewing the Ultra HD presentation it's 1080p video quality was still fresh in my mind. Digital animation tends to look quite good in high definition so I couldn't help but have preconceived notions regarding a positive viewing experience of this film in Ultra HD. This presentation is rendered from a 4K DI and the results are marvelous.

In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia, especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters. The first shots of Bonnie’s room after the opening sequence look stunning. This also applied to backgrounds, such as the structures, mountains, and various objects at the carnival in town, which had excellent depth of field. The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the broad chromatic palate, and use of contrast. The scene where Woody and Bo look out at the chandeliers in the antique shop look fantastic.

Whites are gradational and bright and the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences that take place at night, or with limited lighting, such as the scene Forky and Woody walk along the deserted mountain road, appear multi-staged and dimensional in appearance.

The application of HDR added a complimentary and defining element that proved eye-catching. The scene where the fireworks go off above the carnival and its twinkling host of lights looks dazzling against the night sky. Duke Caboom’s long motorcycle jump in the final act looked every bit as good too.

As good as Toy Story 4 looks in 1080p, the Ultra HD rendering takes it to another level, entirely, making for a visually engaging, faithful and, gratifying video presentation. Wow!

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, music, and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location.

There are ample times where near field objects, and multi-staged atmospherics places you inside the scene as sounds rotate and revolve around the sound field from both above and at ear level. While this is not what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix, it is an active one, that complimented the source material.

** It should be noted that a few additional turns of the volume knob is required to achieve the best listening results. I didn’t have any issues with dynamic range.**

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Toy Story 4 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts vibrant colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail rendering is terrific as the video has three-dimensional quality with crisp texture and excellent fine articulation. Contrast is boldly applied, whites are crisp, and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and enriching gradational highlights. This is a beautiful and pristine quality digital transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack makes effective use of the surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, and crystalline dialog reproduction. This mix doesn’t bombard you with aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with supporting ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack’s elements. Dynamic range and bass response is appropriate, adding thematic emphasis and resonating punch when called upon. This is a solid audio presentation that mates well with the source material.

** It should be noted that a few additional turns of the volume knob is required to achieve the best listening results. I didn’t have any issues with dynamic range.**

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Toy Story 4 Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Toy Story 4 Blu-ray
  • [b]Disc 3[/i]: Blu-ray Bonus Disc (BD-25)
    • 'Toy Stories - The Toy Story 4 cast and crew share their love of toys!
    • Woody & Buzz - Take a look at the relationship between these two legendary characters.
    • Bo Rebooted - Discover how Team Bo reimagined all aspects of Bo Peep's identity to arrive at the fully realized character seen in the film.
    • Toy Box - Enjoy a collection of mini-docs on the film’s memorable new characters, featuring the voice actors, director Josh Cooley and Pixar artists talking about the many elements that make these characters fun and lovable
    • Let’s Ride With Ally Maki - Ally Maki, voice of Giggle McDimples, learns all about Pixar’s dialogue recording process from director Josh Cooley and his team.
    • Deleted Scenes introduced by director Josh Cooley including:
    o Scamming Playtime
    o Bo Knows Hippos
    o Desperate Toys
    o Knock-Offs
    o Recruit Duke
    o She’s The One
    • Audio Commentary, Trailers and more!
    Digital Exclusive:
    • Anatomy of a Scene: Prologue - Filmmakers and crew review key scenes of the movie and dissect the practical and technological methods used to bring them to life.
    Additional Deleted scene - Bonnie’s Playtime
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Toy Story 4 follows in the footsteps of its predecessors and features a context rich narrative that includes complimentary new characters while infusing a contemporary and, stirring story that proves rewarding, especially if you’re a devoted fan. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Disney Home Entertainment featuring top notch Ultra HD quality, sparkling high definition video, gratifying lossless surround sound, including a solid Dolby Atmos mix, and a fan friendly assortment of extras that are worth exploring. Toy Story 4 is pitch perfect family entertainment that comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Great review Ralph. I agree with your assessment of the film and the presentation.
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #3 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2247
I watched this on VUDU in Dolby Vision. It was stunning. Really a fantastic movie too. Ending was a bit of a tearjerker, lol, but maybe it opens up other arcs.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Wow, so it truly is a 4k DI?
post #5 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Hey Ralph, are you solely using your JVC RS2000 to review all your UHD discs or a flat panel as well ?
post #6 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 3591
Great review Ralph, thanks! Looking forward to checking this out.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Excited for this. Toy Story 3 was still my favorite but if this home release looks anything like that then I'll be happy.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
post #8 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Hey Ralph, are you solely using your JVC RS2000 to review all your UHD discs or a flat panel as well ?
I believe Ralph uses a TCL LCD to assess the differences between HDR and Dolby Vision, but other than that the JVC RS2000 for general judgement of picture quality?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Finally a 4K DI from an animated movie. Does this mean CGI rendered in true 4K?

If so there's no wonder is receives a coveted '100 score'
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
I believe Ralph uses a TCL LCD to assess the differences between HDR and Dolby Vision, but other than that the JVC RS2000 for general judgement of picture quality?
Jeff, SnellTHX is right on the money....

Regards,
JeffR1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
Great review @Ralph Potts, I saw on Vudu, and am now looking forward to 4K disc. Great wrap up statement "
Toy Story is an endearing, timeless and classic animated saga that can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next. Thank you to Disney/Pixar for bringing us these films with tender loving care." I watched my daughters laugh and cry, and get caught up in the thrill of the chase. Great flick.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Great review Raplh!

As a huge Pixar fan it was a must that my wife and I see this in theaters and we were not disappointed at all! It was fantastic, beautiful, and moving. Im heading out the door as I speak to go pick it up on UHD. So excited to watch it again!

Edit: my only disappointment was that for the first time, a short was not in front of the Pixar movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku

Last edited by Reddig; 10-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
Thanks for your usual EXCELLENT REVIEW Ralph! I just picked this up at Best Buy today and hope to view it sometime in the next few days. I am expecting a real contender for one of the best animated UHD marvels!!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #14 of 26 Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Thanks for your usual EXCELLENT REVIEW Ralph! I just picked this up at Best Buy today and hope to view it sometime in the next few days. I am expecting a real contender for one of the best animated UHD marvels!!
Greetings,

Sweeeeet! Be sure to post back after you've seen it Denny.

Regards,
djoberg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 26 Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
The "credits are rolling" so I'm checking in to say I was VERY IMPRESSED!! The PQ is "Reference Quality" all the way through. Having said that, the Dolby Atmos mix was VERY DISAPPOINTING (I listened to it near reference and the Bass/LFE was almost non-existent).

Here is the review I just posted on the Blu-ray PQ Thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post58666564
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 10-09-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-13-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I was just mulling around with the settings on my projector and I was using Toy Story 4 as reference video.
I was looking at the credits and noticed who voiced Duke Caboom _ Keanu Reeves.
I suppose it seemed only fitting that he get that part, but what really tickled me was the roles he plays in John Wick are so light years away from Toy Story 4 !

He comes across as being such a serious actor; I guess there's a bit of a marshmallow side to him in there somewhere.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Was anybody else disappointed with the HDR of this? Like... I read this review and others like it, and I bought the movie expecting great things, and I don't think it really is a good presentation at all. Don't get me wrong, the movie itself looks good, but it looks good in a way that looks like good SDR. So for me, this is another example of a "good grade / bad HDR" release. By bad HDR, what I mean is, it's not much of an upgrade over SDR. At the most, the colors may be subtly better, but even then I wasn't 100% convinced. Nor was I convinced about the claim of a 4K DI, because it looked too soft for that.

I genuinely feel like a lot of what people like about this release has nothing to do with the 4K or HDR, but just of the movie's general graphical quality and visual aesthetic. To me it basically looks like good SDR in an HDR container.

At this point I kind of regret buying the 4K and not just waiting for the 3D, which I remember was definitely a better upgrade than the HDR was here.
abinav555 likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #18 of 26 Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Excellent review Ralph... this one just arrived. I own all of them in 4k, but the first one is the only one I've watched.

Looking forward to 2,3,4 in that order.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #19 of 26 Old 10-19-2019, 01:52 AM

Marathoned all 4. Why is this picture just softer than 3? The sound was poor as expected but why? And the sudden switch to letter box format? Toy Story 4 is still a decent film, even if it is entirely unnecessary.
morphinapg likes this.

Spoiler!
post #20 of 26 Old 10-19-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Marathoned all 4. Why is this picture just softer than 3? The sound was poor as expected but why? And the sudden switch to letter box format? Toy Story 4 is still a decent film, even if it is entirely unnecessary.
Why was it expected that the sound was poor? Because the review, you mean?

I'm not sure about the softness in general, but Pixar plays with focus and materials so much that it's just an illusion of softness and really is as high of definition as you can obtain. I'm not saying this is the case, but look at movies like WALL-E and Inside Out as examples. Not everything is just super contrasted and sharp-edged there. Maybe this movie shares the same kind of visual appearance.

And I get what you say about TS4 being unnecessary, but I don't agree. TS3 may have ended in a good place with Andy's story, but TS4 is here to end Woody's story. This is, after all, called Toy Story.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the 3D version to arrive at my doorstep by Wednesday.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000

Last edited by muffinmcfluffin; 10-19-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #21 of 26 Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
I don't think Woody needed any more of an ending than he got in TS3. While it's fine to see where things went afterwards, it feels less like an ending and more like an epilogue that wasn't quite necessary. A decently made epilogue, but one that is not really up to the same standards as any of the others in anything but visuals.

And also, what the heck is up with Buzz in 4?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
post #22 of 26 Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I don't think Woody needed any more of an ending than he got in TS3. While it's fine to see where things went afterwards, it feels less like an ending and more like an epilogue that wasn't quite necessary. A decently made epilogue, but one that is not really up to the same standards as any of the others in anything but visuals.

And also, what the heck is up with Buzz in 4?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
There were definitely epilogue feels, but since I already saw two episodes of TS after 3 with Toy Story of Terror! and Toy Story That Time Forgot, I was more than willing to see what they would do afterward.

I can't agree with you more about Buzz, though. His character always had ancillary mishaps to advance the plots in the first three films (specifically a different Buzz in TS2 and reset/Spanish Buzz in TS3), but he was just plain stupid in this one and his voicebox ex machina was running full-force here. Definitely the eye-roll/facepalm of the film for me.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #23 of 26 Old 10-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This was a ok movie.

The 4K looked flat on this mostly compared to others animated films meaning it felt more 1080P to me.

The Audio had a few moments that offered some discrete Atmos effects but mostly it was front channel driven and even then it seemed less dynamic. The LFE was not satisfying enough as I felt there were so many missed opportunities. Turning up the master volume a few db's did not really change my opinion.

The story was slow to start but eventually picked up and Duke was the highlight for us. Storyline had a fair ending but I think this story has run its course.

Last edited by wkingincharge; 10-20-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Why was it expected that the sound was poor? Because the review, you mean?

I'm not sure about the softness in general, but Pixar plays with focus and materials so much that it's just an illusion of softness and really is as high of definition as you can obtain. I'm not saying this is the case, but look at movies like WALL-E and Inside Out as examples. Not everything is just super contrasted and sharp-edged there. Maybe this movie shares the same kind of visual appearance.

And I get what you say about TS4 being unnecessary, but I don't agree. TS3 may have ended in a good place with Andy's story, but TS4 is here to end Woody's story. This is, after all, called Toy Story.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the 3D version to arrive at my doorstep by Wednesday.
It was just my experience. Toy Story 3 was, to me, the best in the series and the sharpest home release picture. It was a definitive ending for most of the characters in the series, complete with a cheerful ending for almost everyone. 4 really wasn't necessary at all. Most of the toys sat in an RV most of the film and after Woody left all it did was leave a huge gap for whatever they are plotting next. There's so many toys and kids out there that this can be dragged on forever. 4 wasn't bad just completely unnecessary. And its home release was just really lackluster, especially after just watching Toy Story 3.

Spoiler!
post #25 of 26 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 2924
Hi Ralph

Just want to start by echoing that "WoW" on the 4k HDR ! As I was watching ,over and over in my head I kept saying "this is just flat out perfect use of the format" the lighting just looked real! It was simply a pleasure to watch and well deserving of the 100 for the HDR presentation. The audio only need a little volume as you mentioned and was fine. The story? Well let's just say they kinda tugged a heart string or two.

Dead on my friend
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #26 of 26 Old Today, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph

Just want to start by echoing that "WoW" on the 4k HDR ! As I was watching ,over and over in my head I kept saying "this is just flat out perfect use of the format" the lighting just looked real! It was simply a pleasure to watch and well deserving of the 100 for the HDR presentation. The audio only need a little volume as you mentioned and was fine. The story? Well let's just say they kinda tugged a heart string or two.

Dead on my friend

Greetings,

Awesome! So glad you really enjoyed Toy Story 4 overall Jeff. It's always great to hear from my friend.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page