Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By mtbdudex
  • 3 Post By morphinapg
  • 3 Post By Craig Peer
  • 3 Post By Dan Hitchman
  • 1 Post By Lurker123
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By GalvatronType_R
  • 2 Post By hk2000
  • 3 Post By morphinapg
  • 1 Post By jonasandezekial
  • 2 Post By Dan Hitchman
  • 1 Post By Lurker123
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 2 Post By Lurker123
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac

post #1 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6204
Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition Blu-ray Review

By Grabthar’s hammer, the intrepid crew of the NSEA Protector is back to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the uproarious classic. Check out Ralph Potts’ review of the Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition from Paramount Home Media Distribution.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1999
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Thermian 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shaloub, Sam Rockwell, Daryl Mitchell, Enrico Colantoni, Missy Pyle, Patrick Breen
Directed by: Dean Parisot
Music by: David Newman
Written by: David Howard & Robert Gordon
Region Code: A

Release Date: October 22, 2019

"Never Give Up Never Surrender!"

Synopsis:

“For four years, the courageous crew of the NSEA Protector -- "Commander Peter Qunicy Taggart" (Tim Allen), "Lt. Tawny Madison" (Sigourney Weaver) and "Dr. Lazarus" (Alan Rickman) -- set off on thrilling and often dangerous missions in space...and then their series was canceled! Now, twenty years later, aliens under attack have mistaken the Galaxy Quest television transmissions for "historical documents" and beamed up the crew of has-been actors to save the universe. With no script, no director and no clue, the actors must turn in the performances of their lives in this hilarious adventure.” – Paramount Home Media Distribution

My Take:

I Reviewed Galaxy Quest when it first released on Blu-ray in 2009. This 20th Anniversary Limited Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition, Collectible Steelbook contains the same 2009 Blu-ray version. Below are my comments from the 2009 Blu-ray review. Note: There are spoilers contained below

Galaxy Quest is a fun sci-fi comedy/spoof about a group of actors that spent 4 years on a popular Star Trek style TV show called “Galaxy Quest”. 17 years after the show’s cancellation their type cast status has relegated them to conventions, and personal appearances to open stores etc. The show’s star Jason Nesmith (Allen) seems to be the fan favorite and generally garners the majority of attention and special appearance requests.

This, and his large ego don’t especially sit well with the rest of the “crew” but, as a group they remain close. While signing autographs at a recent convention Jason is approached by a costumed group claiming to be Thermians from another planet. They request that Jason, the commander of the NSEA Protector, accompany them to help with their plight against an evil space warlord named Sarris. Jason believing it to be just another request for a special appearance goes along with it only to find himself unknowingly transported into space aboard a starship built as an exact replica of the one from the Galaxy Quest TV show.

He and the Thermians are confronted by Sarris and Jason, still believing that what he is seeing is simply special effects, attacks Sarris, catching him by surprise and temporarily subduing him. It is later revealed that the Thermians are able to intercept TV shows broadcast from earth and refer to them as earth’s historical documents, believing them to be real. To better their race they model themselves using the Galaxy Quest show as an example. Afterward Jason discovers the truth, returns home and tries to convince the rest of the cast about what happened. Initially they ignore his outlandish story.

The Thermians show up once again requesting the help of the original crew. This time they are all (plus 1) transported aboard the NSEA Protector and, are unwittingly placed in the middle of a genocidal war between the Thermians and Sarris. Slowly the crew comes to the realization that what they are seeing is real and that as actors they are in no way equipped to deal with it…or are they??

Being a sci-fi, comedy and Star Trek, I was naturally drawn to and curious about Galaxy Quest. I didn’t get around to catching it during its theatrical run but, picked it up as a blind buy when it was released on DVD (can’t believe it has been over 9 years now!). I was instantly hooked and have sat through multiple viewings always finding myself laughing at and enjoying the same moments. It’s a well written and light hearted parody that features great casting, deft humor, and enough action to give it a bit of an edge. It’s great to finally see it come to Blu-ray.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some action violence, mild language, and sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Galaxy Quest: Never Give Up Never Surrender Edition comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound.

I own Galaxy quest on DVD and always found its quality to be pleasing which gave me high hopes for this Blu-ray presentation. I wasn’t disappointed as high definition detail is noteworthy, with firmly resolved images that exhibit definitive sharpness and two-dimensional depth. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation, tonal warmth, and vivid textures. Contrast is strong which enlivens colors and enriches sequences containing both light and dark elements. This is readily apparent during the sequences that take place aboard the NSEA Protector as well as the shots of outer space. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with good dynamic range. This is a great looking catalog release from Paramount that easily bests the DVD and results in an excellent presentation on Blu-ray Disc.

The lossless audio soundtrack renders clear, well-articulated dialogue, and appreciable depth and dimension. The recorded elements are dynamically enriching which provides full bodied sound and fairly robust bass. This film doesn’t rely on heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does effectively use the entire soundstage when appropriate. The mix excels at reproducing sounds at the right levels and accurately placing them within the sound field. Detail is rendered with aplomb which attenuates slight environmental cues and augmented the subtle texture of voices and sound effects.

Bonus Features:
  • Steelbook Collectible Packaging
    • Galactopedia—On-screen information about characters, ships, aliens and more
    • Historical Documents: The Story of Galaxy Quest—Cast and filmmakers discuss how the film came together
    • Never Give Up, Never Surrender: The Intrepid Crew of the NSEA Protector—Celebrates the incredibly talented cast
    • By Grabthar’s Hammer, What Amazing Effects—Explores the effects by ILM and Stan Winston
    • Alien School—Creating the Thermian Race—Actor Enrico Colantoni’s process of developing the voice and manner of an alien race
    • Actors in Space—Delves into the psyche of the cast
    • Sigourney Weaver Raps— Needs no further explanation
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite parody’s and is a film that for me never loses its comedic edge. I recall looking forward to its original release on Blu-ray Disc. It’s hard to believe it has been 20 years since its theatrical release and 10 years since its first release on Blu-ray. Paramount Home Media Distribution celebrates Galaxy Quest with this 20th Anniversary Limited Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition, Collectible Steelbook. While it contains the same previous Blu-ray release, it does make for a nice collectible for diehard fans of the film.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
SteveC356 and Manni01 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
Hmm, while I liked the movie, I've seen it literally 20's if not 30's to 40's of times on cable.....
Not sure why'd I buy a blu-ray of it, curious why they could not go 4k UHDBR?
post #3 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 1945
Great movie but I already own this on blu. I'm hoping for a 4K release in the future, and hopefully a Director's cut at some point which is slightly more adult oriented in themes and dialogue. Supposedly R rated, even, but I have my doubts on that.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
Check out my video game movie edits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8423
Great movie. I have the older Blu-ray - I need to watch this again soon ! Thanks for reminding me Ralph !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #5 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4686 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Damn! No 4k Blu-ray. A hard pass.

Thanks for the review, though!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #6 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
I Reviewed Galaxy Quest when it first released on Blu-ray in 2009. This 20th Anniversary Limited Never Give Up, Never Surrender Edition, Collectible Steelbook contains the same 1999 Blu-ray version. Below are my comments from the 2009 Blu-ray review. Note: There are spoilers contained below
1999 Blu-ray version? I'd love to own a copy of that one!!! I'm sure you meant contains the same 2009 version.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker123 View Post
1999 Blu-ray version? I'd love to own a copy of that one!!! I'm sure you meant contains the same 2009 version.

Greetings,

Yeah, that's what I meant! 1999 Blu-ray would definitely be a collector's item.

Regards,
tenthplanet likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 29 Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Great movie. I especially love how Tim Allen's character was so pompous and how much his cast mates hated him (likely based on a somewhat portly Canadian who does spoken word albums) played for comedic effect.

One of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen but I'll hold out for 4K.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #9 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 AM

Liked: 36
Everybody's clamoring for a "4K" version, why? What is it that the 4K is going to show that you can't see on the Blu-Ray? I just don't get it, I have a few 4K disks that I watch on a Sony 65" 4K TV and I have their HD counterparts that I watch on a 1080P 120" projector screen, and I'm yet to note one occasion where I feel I'm missing any details on the bigger, lower resolution screen. I for one, won't be paying any extra for a 4K version of anything I already own.

BTW, love the movie, and I'm a StarTrek fan too, it doesn't bother me like it bothered some ST fans.
BuddTX and Ralph Potts like this.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk2000 View Post
Everybody's clamoring for a "4K" version, why? What is it that the 4K is going to show that you can't see on the Blu-Ray? I just don't get it, I have a few 4K disks that I watch on a Sony 65" 4K TV and I have their HD counterparts that I watch on a 1080P 120" projector screen, and I'm yet to note one occasion where I feel I'm missing any details on the bigger, lower resolution screen. I for one, won't be paying any extra for a 4K version of anything I already own.

BTW, love the movie, and I'm a StarTrek fan too, it doesn't bother me like it bothered some ST fans.
I couldn't care less about the 4K part of 4K Blu-ray. It's the HDR that completely changes the experience when you have a set good enough to take advantage of that, and a movie that handles it well. If there's ever a chance that the UHD will be a significant upgrade, I'll always be pushing for that version wherever possible.

Manni01, Ralph Potts and AlanAbby like this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Atomos Ninja Inferno
post #11 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe it's time to upgrade to blu-ray and retire my ancient DVD. But NO steelbook please. I never understood the sudden collectible hysteria around the silly steelbook releases.

Oh, and if you're a fan of this movie like me, I recommend the equally hilarious documentary called Trekkies. It's REAL people that are Star Trek fans, and the outrageous lengths they go to express their fandom. There's a kid in there EXACTLY like the character Brandon in Galaxy Quest!
Funny stuff.
BuddTX likes this.

Last edited by jonasandezekial; 10-16-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Oh, boy... where to begin? There are other things besides 4k resolution that can be a benefit that you may not see on a projector, especially a 1080p one without HDR and true wide color gamut support.

Plus many studios will stick Dolby Atmos or DTS: X on the 4k disc and not the regular Blu-ray.
darthray and AlanAbby like this.

post #13 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Quote:

I couldn't care less about the 4K part of 4K Blu-ray. It's the HDR that completely changes the experience when you have a set good enough to take advantage of that, and a movie that handles it well. If there's ever a chance that the UHD will be a significant upgrade, I'll always be pushing for that version wherever possible.
The major issue will be the CGI sources causing problems for a 4K transfer, never mind the HDR part. I doubt in 1999 CGI accounted for HDR.

I too am a ST fan, and yet I appreciated their lampooning of various ST memes. Made me laugh more than I probably should have.
dnoonie likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Oh, boy... where to begin? There are other things besides 4k resolution that can be a benefit that you may not see on a projector, especially a 1080p one without HDR and true wide color gamut support.

Plus many studios will stick Dolby Atmos or DTS: X on the 4k disc and not the regular Blu-ray.
4K/HDR can be overrated for some movies, but Dolby Atmos/DTS:X are a simple thing that should just come standard on BD these days IMNSHO.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
4K/HDR can be overrated for some movies, but Dolby Atmos/DTS:X are a simple thing that should just come standard on BD these days IMNSHO.

It's called incentivizing. Most want you to gravitate to the "premium" format... others just don't want to bother remastering both a 4k and Blu-ray disc, so the 4k gets the new audio.

post #16 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
It's called incentivizing. Most want you to gravitate to the "premium" format... others just don't want to bother remastering both a 4k and Blu-ray disc, so the 4k gets the new audio.
Oh, I know, but it'd be nice if they just offered it when they redo their masters for 4K anyways. As it is, you can pull the soundtrack off the 4K and drop it on the BD track, as long as the movies are the same. I'm in a strange spot where my media room is still 1080P (so BD max) but my secondary is 4K. Maybe this weekend I'll compare the two, and see whether it's time to do an upgrade in the media room.
post #17 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 132
While a great parody of Star Trek (the original series), it was also such a love letter to Star Trek as well as having a stellar (no pun intended) cast of Oscar and Emmy nominees and winners! I mean, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, Tony Shalhoub and Tim Allen? And nobody can deliver a line with as much despair and derision as Alan Rickman, with just the right timing of the pause...

"By Grabthar's Hammer..............what a savings."
Ralph Potts likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #18 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
While a great parody of Star Trek (the original series), it was also such a love letter to Star Trek as well as having a stellar (no pun intended) cast of Oscar and Emmy nominees and winners! I mean, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, Tony Shalhoub and Tim Allen? And nobody can deliver a line with as much despair and derision as Alan Rickman, with just the right timing of the pause...

"By Grabthar's Hammer..............what a savings."

Greetings,

So true. I really MISS Alan Rickman. He was one of my favorite character actors.

Regards,
Tim Glover likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #19 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another interesting factoid is before Rickman's passing, there were very preliminary plans for a sequel, but losing him put it all on hold.
Too bad.
post #20 of 29 Old 10-16-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Greetings,

Yeah, that's what I meant! 1999 Blu-ray would definitely be a collector's item.

Regards,
Well, it was on DVHS, so you could have had it in HD. As we all know, 1080i is the same as 1080p.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #21 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Thanks for the review...AND the reminder that I really like this movie!

Quote:
The major issue will be the CGI sources causing problems for a 4K transfer, never mind the HDR part. I doubt in 1999 CGI accounted for HDR.

I too am a ST fan, and yet I appreciated their lampooning of various ST memes. Made me laugh more than I probably should have.
Good points! On my purchase list! Particularly now that Netflix only has in on SD DVD.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #22 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And yet The Matrix looked fantastic in 4K and HDR

post #23 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
And yet The Matrix looked fantastic in 4K and HDR
The Matrix was a different beast, broke new ground in special effects, and also had 50% more budget to play with. GQ is one of the few movies I watched the extras on, and I will admit they can do wonders with post processing CGI, because the initial shots in the extras were.... visually bad. I'm not saying they couldn't rework those scenes, just that they would have to, and that might be a stumbling block in cost. The Matrix was bound to recover their investment. GQ? I'm not sure a large enough audience would purchase the 4K version to make the investment worthwhile.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Greetings,

So true. I really MISS Alan Rickman. He was one of my favorite character actors.

Regards,
Alan Rickman's depth of ability was truly amazing. Whether the callous evil villain (Die Hard, of course) or the tender emotional trainwreck he delivered in Truly Madly Deeply showed the range and breadth of his abilities early on. The rest of his roles fitted in between those extremes and allowed for extensions into other areas, such as comedy in GQ. His treacherous and dislikable Snape was perfect in the Potter series ending with his noble sacrifice and having you follow the ups and downs of his character throughout 8 movies, never truly knowing what he was going to present, even if you'd read the books.

Very few actors of his caliber exist. He leaves a void yet to be filled.
Manni01 and Ralph Potts like this.
post #25 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Indeed. Even some of the great deep cut episode references, e.g. (Arena), Tim Allen's character fighting the rock monster with the crew watching from the ship and Tony Shalhoub's character says, "Maybe he can construct a rudimentary lathe...."
Ralph Potts likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #26 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Well, it was on DVHS, so you could have had it in HD. As we all know, 1080i is the same as 1080p.
I actually PREFERRED the DVHS version, over the current/old bluray version. Less digital noise than the bluray. I can't speak for the sound though. Thanks for the review Ralph Potts; I know this is a favorite of yours, and mine as well. A true 'sleeper classic' in my book.
post #27 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Matrix was a different beast, broke new ground in special effects, and also had 50% more budget to play with. GQ is one of the few movies I watched the extras on, and I will admit they can do wonders with post processing CGI, because the initial shots in the extras were.... visually bad. I'm not saying they couldn't rework those scenes, just that they would have to, and that might be a stumbling block in cost. The Matrix was bound to recover their investment. GQ? I'm not sure a large enough audience would purchase the 4K version to make the investment worthwhile.
It's clear you don't watch many special features because all movies are like that with unfinished CGI. It looks bad because that allows them to render it quick for a preview of how it fits with the footage. Even The Matrix has behind the scenes footage with bad CGI like that.

post #28 of 29 Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
It's clear you don't watch many special features because all movies are like that with unfinished CGI. It looks bad because that allows them to render it quick for a preview of how it fits with the footage. Even The Matrix has behind the scenes footage with bad CGI like that.

I saw the Matrix's extras also. They weren't the same kind of bad.
post #29 of 29 Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post
Another interesting factoid is before Rickman's passing, there were very preliminary plans for a sequel, but losing him put it all on hold.
Too bad.
Only on hold?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page