Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Lawman Luke Hobbs and outcast Deckard Shaw form an unlikely alliance when a cyber-genetically enhanced villain threatens the future of humanity. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray Review of Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Universal - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 137 minutes
Genre: Action/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC: Dolby Vision/HDR10 +
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Idris Elba, Vanessa Kirby, Eiza Gonzalez, Cliff Curtis, Helen Mirren
Directed by: David Leitch
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: Chris Morgan, Drew Pearce
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: November 5, 2019

"Brute Force meets Blunt Force"

Synopsis:

“Lawman Luke Hobbs and outcast Deckard Shaw form an unlikely alliance when a cyber-genetically enhanced villain threatens the future of humanity.” – Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

For years, hulking lawman Luke Hobbs and lawless outcast Deckard Shaw have traded smack talk and body blows. But when cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton Lorr seeks to gain control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever, Hobbs and Shaw must partner up to bring down the only guy who might be badder than themselves.

I haven’t been a devout fan when it comes to the Fast & Furious films. I haven’t seen them all but, have definitely enjoyed those that I have. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw is a spin off that is essentially no different, pulling together two series characters, set to an action/comedy theme featuring boatloads of adrenaline. The script, co-written by Chris Morgan, revolves around two plot points, one involving an enhanced villain that seeks to obtain a world threatening bio-weapon and the other involving the sister of Deckard Shaw, an MI-6 agent, that has come into possession of the bio-weapon, who is now on the run from the authorities as well as the bad guy. The last piece of the puzzle is forced pairing of Hobbs and Shaw, whose people have enlisted them to track down the weapon before it winds up in the wrong hands.

Let me start of by saying that my son saw this in the theater and had nothing good to say about it. I am most definitely a fan of the two leads so, I figured when it arrived for review, I would keep expectations well in check and, I did that. Okay, to begin with, there is little here that we haven’t seen from a conceptual standpoint but, I didn’t have a problem with it. The truth is that we really don’t watch franchise films such as this seeking well rounded narratives with deep meaning. We are in it for the high-octane action, and brother, there is plenty to go around.

I must admit that I probably enjoyed Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw more than I should have. I found myself chuckling aloud at the banter and needling between Johnson and Statham, who seem to have excellent chemistry and, marveling at the terrific stunts/visual effects. The plot and its attempts to provide connective tissue to past events were most decidedly contrived but, I went with it just the same. I liked the cameos by Rob Delaney, Ryan Reynolds, Helen Mirren, Eddie Marsan and Eiza Gonzalez too. There are several big-ticket set pieces fueled by superb driving, frenetic pacing, high flying stunt work and top-notch production elements. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs was lots of fun for me. Yes, it’s insanely over the top and a little campy, but who cares!?

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for prolonged sequences of action and violence, suggestive material and some strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 96

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Its presentation in Ultra HD, which is comprised of a mix of 2.8K/3.4K sources, was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

This is an excellent Ultra HD presentation that looks great on my large screen. What struck me from the onset is the lifelike reproduction of the textures captured by the camera's lens. Whether it be the finest minutia in physical features or rough textures on the surfaces of buildings, streets, interiors of offices/warehouses/chop shops, or the vistas of the shooting locations, the imagery is gorgeous. The benefits of high dynamic range and wide color gamut are on display as earth toned colors have an added dimension that enlivens shots where they would normally have blended in, being seen as a less provocative background element that would generally go unnoticed. The first overhead pan of the Samoan Island is breathtaking.

Whites are emboldened, detailed and bright, especially during low level transitions viewed in a darkened environment. Contrast abounds, lending an authenticity that underscores the subject matter, bringing it to a visually rewarding level. There is a great moment later in the film when Hobbs and Hattie are standing outside of the shop on Samoa. It’s in the evening and, the light from shop illuminates them from behind, casting a sepia/golden hue against the dark surroundings. It’s a brief shot but, it looks fantastic.

The specular highlights during the encounter at the Ukraine facility followed later by the various explosions and billowing fire in the large-scale battle on Samoa in the finale, look terrific. Shot digitally, this rendering reproduces its elements with aplomb. Looking at the 1080p version, which is solid as well, the difference is noticeable, but not what I would describe as night and day. That being said, there is no question about which of the two makes for the more gratifying viewing experience.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

In comparing the DV and HDR10 renderings I ran the same scenes using my reference Panasonic UHD player (in DV) and Oppo UHD player (HDR10 mode). The title looked terrific on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. While I found that the DV presentation offered slightly better delineation of color it wasn’t enough to warrant a rating difference. Inevitably you can’t go wrong with either but, if pushed, my preference was the Dolby Vision presentation.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act, there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field. There are a host of sounds that utilize the overhead channels, creating an involving listening experience. This continues with the film’s action-based sequences, most notably the extended chase at the Ukraine facility and battle/chase on Samoa, that convey the breadth/expanse of the soundstage as the track bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. While these sequences sound very good in the standard mix, they are taken to the next level in the Amos mix.

Overall, I would say that viewing Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw in Ultra HD with the Dolby Atmos mix definitely heightened the experience of watching the film.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Video quality is solid and delivers images that are highly detailed and artifact free. Detail reproduction is excellent as both people and objects are rendered with crystal clear definition that is at times, meticulously resolved. Long distant camera pans are smooth and three dimensional in perspective with well-articulated minutia. Blacks are stable and deep with appreciable dynamic range. Contrast is emboldened and stable so that colors and whites pop while not appearing overdriven. Fleshtones are lifelike and reflective of the varying complexional types among the cast. The video had a sharp, pristine quality that looked great.

This lossless soundtrack is excellent and features wide dynamic range, superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundstage. Front and rear channel imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable.

The music score, coupled with the integration of discrete and atmospheric surround sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The atmospheric effects associated with the various environments featured in the story sound engagingly real. Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and underscore the audio presentation with aplomb. Its palpable presence is never in question as it renders refined bass quality that kicks nicely and extends deep enough to engage the room.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: F&F Presents: Hobbs & Shaw Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: F&F Presents: Hobbs and Shaw Blu-ray
    • ALTERNATE OPENING*
    • DELETED/EXTENDED/ALTERNATE SCENES
    • JOHNSON & STATHAM: HOBBS & SHAW - Why this film duo works so well together on and off the set.
    • PROGRESS OF A FIGHT SCENE WITH DIRECTOR DAVID LEITCH - From script, to storyboard, to finally arriving on set and working with cast and crew, this piece will illustrate the progression of fight scenes from concept to execution.
    • PRACTICAL ACTION - Any film featuring Jason Statham or Dwayne Johnson is sure to be action packed and feature some over-the-top fight scenes. For the film, each fight sequence was carefully choreographed and shot ahead of time for the actors to use in training and ultimately in shooting the scene.
    • THE BAD GUY* - Fans can explore what makes the ultimate baddie, as well as Brixton’s backstory, casting Idris Elba, special effects for his cyber features and what makes him tick.
    • THE SISTER* - This piece will highlight Vanessa Kirby as Hattie Shaw - she may be Deckard Shaw’s little sister, but don’t be fooled, she’s equally capable of kicking just as much ass as he does.
    • HOBBS’ FAMILY TREE* - This character piece will highlight the extended family of the Hobbs heroes. From Hobbs’ daughter, mother and brothers, take a high-energy, behind-the-scenes look at their time on set.
    • THE MATRIARCH* - With her brief appearance in HOBBS & SHAW, audiences are reminded of the matriarchal might of Helen Mirren as mother Shaw. This piece will feature Mirren in her return to the role.
    • NEW FRIENDS - Featuring hilarious moments with the cameos featured in the film, this piece will showcase some of the best moments from their days on set.
    • ELEVATOR ACTION* - The elevator scene in the trailer – yes, you know the one. This is just one of the crazy stunts in the film – now fans can see how it was done.
    • STUNT SHOW AND TELL* - Along with film clips and stunt vis, this firsthand look at some of the key sequences in the film will peel back the layers of the stunt process.
    • KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY: A CONVERSATION WITH ROMAN AND DWAYNE* - In this intimate conversation, Roman Reigns and Dwayne Johnson discuss their personal relationship, coming from a long lineage of wrestlers, and what it’s like to be working side by side on a project so close to Johnson’s heart.
    • BLIND FURY* - Dwayne reveals the inspiration behind one of the film’s key scenes – his grandfather!
    • DWAYNE AND HOBBS: LOVE AT FIRST BITE* - We know how important family is to Dwayne Johnson, and his French Bulldog Hobbs is no exception. In this fun piece, fans can learn more about Dwayne and man’s best friend.
    • FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR DAVID LEITCH
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw successfully adds another entertaining layer to the popular franchise that continues to prove that in some cases more is better. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment featuring sparkling Ultra HD video (in Dolby Vision and HDR10+ flavors), reference quality high definition picture and sound, including a rewarding Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly supplemental package. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw doesn’t break the mold but, continues to provide the type of adrenaline fueled fun that series fans have come to expect. If it’s your cup of tea, it looks and sounds great on Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 10-30-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 231
First.

For anyone who has read my previous posts for movies that Ralph reviews, this will not come as a shock: I hated this movie. This has to be one of the stupidest most non-sensical and intelligence insulting movies I have ever watched. I literally felt and heard thousands of my brain cells cry out in agony and then die off like Ben Kenobi when Alderaan was blown up. This has to be one of the worst movies in Dwayne’s repertoire and considering he starred in The Tooth Fairy, that’s par for the course.

Scorsese was right, some movies are theme park rides instead of films and this one should include a helmet just like some roller coasters that require protective headgear before riding. This was one of the most excruciating 2.5 hours I’ve ever spent stuck in a room before (and I’ve been water boarded and tased for police training).

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #3 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 570
I really liked all of the fast and furious movies, I have seen them all. I will fess up that I am a car nerd and love anything with cool cars in it. when I first saw the trailer for this movie I was very very skeptical and thought that it looked little over the top, based on your review I think I am going to give it a 4k UHD blind buy. Because it has cars and explosions in it I will most likely like it and your reviews are always solid. If I am not sure about a movie I tend to wait for your review and have not been let down yet with a blind buy. Ralph thanks for another great informative review, keep them coming.

Dave-t
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
First.

For anyone who has read my previous posts for movies that Ralph reviews, this will not come as a shock: I hated this movie. This has to be one of the stupidest most non-sensical and intelligence insulting movies I have ever watched. I literally felt and heard thousands of my brain cells cry out in agony and then die off like Ben Kenobi when Alderaan was blown up. This has to be one of the worst movies in Dwayne’s repertoire and considering he starred in The Tooth Fairy, that’s par for the course.

Scorsese was right, some movies are theme park rides instead of films and this one should include a helmet just like some roller coasters that require protective headgear before riding. This was one of the most excruciating 2.5 hours I’ve ever spent stuck in a room before (and I’ve been water boarded and tased for police training).

Greetings,

I always enjoy reading your posts, whether they coincide with my opinion (they rarely do ) and this one is no exception. I appreciate your participation in the review forum.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Thanks for the review Ralph!

Hmmmm......not sure what to do here. I haven't seen the last 37 Fast and Furious films () because these movies have run their course IMO and I just flat out lost interest. If they had epic bass/sound I could enjoy them from that perspective, but they dont (going off the ones I've seen) I liked the first one and Tokyo Drift was a pretty fun HD-DVD demo back in the day, but they lost me soon after that. The ultra macho BS is WAY over the top which I enjoy in some films (Expendables movies for example), but it's just pure cheese in these FnF films IMO.

Having said the above, seeing that 100 audio score has me tempted to give it a rent. A bit torn on what to do here!
post #6 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph!

Hmmmm......not sure what to do here. I haven't seen the last 37 Fast and Furious films () because these movies have run their course IMO and I just flat out lost interest. If they had epic bass/sound I could enjoy them from that perspective, but they dont (going off the ones I've seen) I liked the first one and Tokyo Drift was a pretty fun HD-DVD demo back in the day, but they lost me soon after that. The ultra macho BS is WAY over the top which I enjoy in some films (Expendables movies for example), but it's just pure cheese in these FnF films IMO.

Having said the above, seeing that 100 audio score has me tempted to give it a rent. A bit torn on what to do here!
Viewed tonight - definitely cheese on cheese - It's hard to describe -kinda like porno plot (from what I've been told) - like they think of the craziest 8/10 actions scenes and then need to fill in some dialogue/story - don't even remember what it was exactly😁
you get the picture - Far from a good movie- but you have great audio/video system which helps - give it a rent - imagine be one and out but have couple beers and turn it up- Picture and sound are decent - not a top tier audio track but good-

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #7 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Viewed tonight - definitely cheese on cheese - It's hard to describe -kinda like porno plot (from what I've been told) - like they think of the craziest 8/10 actions scenes and then need to fill in some dialogue/story - don't even remember what it was exactly😁
you get the picture - Far from a good movie- but you have great audio/video system which helps - give it a rent - imagine be one and out but have couple beers and turn it up- Picture and sound are decent - not a top tier audio track but good-
Ok, between you and Ralph, I'm sold on a rent. I'll grill up a steak, have a few beers, crank it up and make the most of it.
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.
post #8 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
First.

Lol

Spoiler!
post #9 of 55 Old 10-29-2019, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
First.

Have you ever seen the 2002 Vin Diesel movie XXX? (Its title, only; it was rated PG-13.)

I watched it with friends years ago. My reaction after it was over was that it was really, really stupid.

How does this compare? (I'd guess that it has higher production values, at the least.)
post #10 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from XXXX featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless XXX that has an average bitrate of XXX Mbps.

[/b]
Also why the atmos receive a 100 on the bluray release and "only" 96 on the uhd.
It's not the same track?
post #11 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassem77 View Post
Also why the atmos receive a 100 on the bluray release and "only" 96 on the uhd.
It's not the same track?
Greetings,

The ratings for Atmos and the standard 7.1 channel mix (Atmos core in this case) use different parameters. I include both so that readers (including those that aren't set up for immersive audio) have some insight into what the track sounds like as a whole.

Yes, both versions have the same track.

Regards,
jherring69 and SteveC356 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

The ratings for Atmos and the standard 7.1 channel mix (Atmos core in this case) use different parameters. I include both so that readers (including those that aren't set up for immersive audio) have some insight into what the track sounds like as a whole.

Yes, both versions have the same track.

Regards,
I rarely post here as english is not my primary, but i am an absolute fan of your reviews and my choices are often based upon your opinion.
Thanks for the reply.
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.
post #13 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
We're big fans of the F&F franchise, particularly the first and Tokyo Drift. The last few not so much. Also really enjoyed Vin's XXX. We did see Hobbs & Shaw in the theater and overall also very much enjoyed it. You just don't get much more screen presence these days than Statham and Johnson, particularly Statham. Forget reading a phone book, I could watch an hour of Statham sneering at a phone book. Add Vanessa Kirby, who essentially steals the show, and it was a good watch. The theater experience itself was pretty underwhelming so we're looking forward to watching this again at home.

SPEAKERS: 7.1 Def Tech Mythos ST L/R | Mythos 10 C | Mythos Gem XL S/R
SUB: SVS PB4000

RECEIVER: Cambridge Audio 751R
DISPLAY: Sony 75" XBR900E SOURCES: Sony UBP-X800 4K disc player, PS3, PS4
MISC: Harmony Elite remote
post #14 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Have you ever seen the 2002 Vin Diesel movie XXX? (Its title, only; it was rated PG-13.)

I watched it with friends years ago. My reaction after it was over was that it was really, really stupid.

How does this compare? (I'd guess that it has higher production values, at the least.)
Not nearly as nausea inducing and bowel damaging as XxX but that is solely due to Dwayne having a tiny bit more acting ability than Mark Vincent. But both are hazardous to your mental, emotional and intellectual health.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #15 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
First.

Nothing wrong with The Tooth Fairy, it's good family movie. As for Hobbs and Shaw, seriously what were you expecting?
post #16 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

XxX...lol. I've been seeing an used 4K copy of it laying in a local thrift store for over a year for $5, nobody wants to touch it with a 10-foot pole.

I guess common despise for XxX is universal, so there's not much of a baseline to be drawn from that, lol. but I have no problem sticking a "stupid, fun" sticker to F&F:H&S. It's stupid, for sure. Whether it's fun or not for you, I think it largely depends on if you liked other Dwayne Johnson movies (which I do, he just works for me). His character John Hobbs is more in-line with his other typical roles: charismatic action hero with a warm heart, than the John Hobbs originally introduced in the F&F franchise, I remember along the lines of "Old school. Old testament. Bullets and the wrath of God." A far character departure, but just happens to suit my taste.

Let's assume if you didn't, then you will absolutely be driven complete bunkers by watching 2 fully grown adult action stars: Dwayne Johnson and Jason Stathom, constantly bickering back and forth with jabs, insults and one-up-man-ships like some prepubescent teenage boys (that, somehow, worked for me too) The other "stupid" element with the movie plot elements, feels more suited for a G.I.Joe movie than a F&F derivative. I'm pretty certain the F&F moniker and familiar character names are only there to serve marketing purposes, and nothing more.

I might actually pickup this UHD.
Craig Peer likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)

Last edited by ian c 2; 10-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #17 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
First.

'Stupid' seems like an odd criticism to level at a movie since almost all movies contain details that are basically dumb. Can you give me a few examples of movies you don’t consider stupid?
Craig Peer likes this.

SPEAKERS: 7.1 Def Tech Mythos ST L/R | Mythos 10 C | Mythos Gem XL S/R
SUB: SVS PB4000

RECEIVER: Cambridge Audio 751R
DISPLAY: Sony 75" XBR900E SOURCES: Sony UBP-X800 4K disc player, PS3, PS4
MISC: Harmony Elite remote

Last edited by VooBass; 10-30-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #18 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Thanks again for a good review, Ralph. Based upon your review and the comments from the posters before me, I think that this will be a UHD rental for me and then I'll decide whether to purchase it (only if it is a Black Friday special of course!) or not.

Cal68
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Cal68
post #19 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5099 Post(s)
Liked: 3951
I purchased the entire F&F film set when they came out in 4K/HDR. Some were worse than others, but except for one, I enjoyed them all. Any attempt a following a plot is a complete waste of time. Just sit back and enjoy the audio and video and car races and chases and forget all of the world's problems. I suspect this one will be not one bit different and I have already ordered it. Two hours of escape from reality.

Today, there are so few really serious films with superb plots, that I watch what is available and enjoy, at some level, almost all of them -which is exactly why I "invested" what I did in our theater (and to watch college football on weekends).

Thanks for review Ralph.
Ralph Potts and coxy2416 like this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater Of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin ][Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #20 of 55 Old 10-30-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
You can take the man out of 'The Transporter' but you can't take 'The Transporter' out of the man. Statham delivers in this and Elba as a bad guy is different. I liked it, I'll buy a copy when the price drops. Thanks for the review Ralph.
Ralph Potts and Craig Peer like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #21 of 55 Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Another great review, Ralph!

I have this on preorder and can’t wait until it comes in. Mindless action movies are my guilty pleasure!
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #22 of 55 Old 11-01-2019, 12:58 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Not nearly as nausea inducing and bowel damaging as XxX but that is solely due to Dwayne having a tiny bit more acting ability than Mark Vincent. But both are hazardous to your mental, emotional and intellectual health.

I cannot find a link to it, but I remember reading years ago a serious article which the author of must have had a man crush on Vin Diesel in XxX claiming he was the next most dedicated to his craft actor since Robert De Niro. It was a head scratcher. Until I thought, well hell, I felt similarly that Kate Beckinsale in Underworld or Salma Hayek in From Dusk Til Dawn would be the next Meryl Streep.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #23 of 55 Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsum View Post
Nothing wrong with The Tooth Fairy, it's good family movie. As for Hobbs and Shaw, seriously what were you expecting?
A semi-sensical plot would be one. Well done CGI would be another. Acting that doesn’t irritate my small lower intestine would be the third.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.

post #24 of 55 Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 5660
Quote:
First.

Awesome!

Though I enjoyed this movie, and my buddy thoroughly concurs with you in abundance regarding Fast & Furious as well as the Transformers franchises, the funniest comment that I've read, and love repeating, regarding these nonsensical spectacles is... "Even the entire Star Wars franchise is more believable than this movie!" LMAO!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by SuperFist; 11-01-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #25 of 55 Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
I cannot find a link to it, but I remember reading years ago a serious article which the author of must have had a man crush on Vin Diesel in XxX claiming he was the next most dedicated to his craft actor since Robert De Niro. It was a head scratcher. Until I thought, well hell, I felt similarly that Kate Beckinsale in Underworld or Salma Hayek in From Dusk Til Dawn would be the next Meryl Streep.
Well, I have to say I like the majority of his movies with the Riddick series being my favorites. In the action world, he is definitely up there with the best of them. With that said, I don’t see any Oscars in his future. In my opinion, that’s okay.

With all that said, Robert De Niro he is not.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #26 of 55 Old 11-02-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
A semi-sensical plot would be one. Well done CGI would be another. Acting that doesn’t irritate my small lower intestine would be the third.
I think everyone has those movies or actors that they will watch even though they are bad movies. Reading your responses has been hilarious for me since The Rock's movies are usually quite bad. The previews for this movie had me cringing each time. I felt the way you do "Skyscraper" as you did with this one. But even the premise of this movie was enough to turn me away and I'm a big fan of this franchise.

Spoiler!
post #27 of 55 Old 11-02-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Yeah this movie would be "stupid" in normal times, but in the age of wokeness it's effing brilliant!!!
It's an unapologetic "guy movie" so if one use dumb qualifiers like : "I identify as" , "my preferred pronouns", or simply afraid of urinals, might wanna look elsewhere for one's entertainment!

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #28 of 55 Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah this movie would be "stupid" in normal times, but in the age of wokeness it's effing brilliant!!!
It's an unapologetic "guy movie" so if one use dumb qualifiers like : "I identify as" , "my preferred pronouns", or simply afraid of urinals, might wanna look elsewhere for one's entertainment!

Greetings,

Couldn't have said it better..

Regards,
thehun, jherring69 and SteveC356 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 55 Old 11-02-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perfect statement!

Bring on the action and cheese! On a related note, I just got around to watching A Good Day to Die Hard, which I dismissed for a long time due to the negative reviews. What a mistake that was! Sure, it’s not the best movie in the franchise, but what a thrill ride!

When it comes to action movies, I don’t need a rock solid “sensical” plot with great character development. Not, I just need some thrilling action scenes, some of which may defy the laws sense and physics!

Also, speaking on Skyscraper: The Rock, Skyscraper, an underrated Neve Campbell, crazy plot to steal something that requires a multi-layered nonsensical plot with bad guys that have a strange sense of humor, police unsure of who the baddie is, a room made up of thousands of televisions creating a 3D space, lots and lots of explosions and action sequences; what else could you ask for I a movie. I mean, did I mention The Rock! Keep it up, Rock! You deserve and Action Oscar! Hmmm....maybe AVS needs to sponsor some kind of Action movie Oscars where movies people will actually watch again can get awards.
jherring69 and SteveC356 like this.

post #30 of 55 Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Toe

Quote:
Who are you speaking too exactly in this thread with this statement?

Definitely NOT that simple. My collection is full of check your brain at the door "guys movies" that I have watched multiple times and thoroughly enjoy. Just because I find this particular series of films to have run their course and to have lost my interest doesn't put me in the "afraid of urinals" camp. Just because someone doesnt like one type of "guys movie" doesnt mean they can't like others.

Last edited by Toe; 11-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page