Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Steve544
  • 1 Post By Rengozu
  • 1 Post By djoberg

post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Based on the book series by Alvin Schwartz, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark begins on Halloween in 1968, and follows reclusive Stella and her two friends who meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and subsequently uncover a sinister notebook of stories with a dark secret. Check out Ralph Potts' Ultra HD Blu-ray review from Lionsgate Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 108 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC: Dolby Vision
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Zoe Colletti, Michael Garza, Austin Abrams, Dean Norris, Gil Bellows, Lorraine Toussaint
Directed by: Andre Ovredal
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Dan Hageman, Kevin Hageman
Region Code: A

Release Date: November 5, 2019

"Based on the Iconic Book Series"

Synopsis:

“Based on the book series by Alvin Schwartz, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark begins on Halloween in 1968, and follows reclusive Stella and her two friends who meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and subsequently uncover a sinister notebook of stories with a dark secret.” – Lionsgate Home Entertainment.

My Take:

It’s 1968 in America. Change is blowing in the wind…but seemingly far removed from the unrest in the cities is the small town of Mill Valley, where for generations the shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large. It is in their mansion on the edge of town that Sarah, a young girl with horrible secrets, turned her tortured life into a series of scary stories, written in a book that has transcended time. For a group of teenagers who discover Sarah’s terrifying home, the stories become all too real.

I haven’t read he book series by Alvin Schwartz, nor had I heard of it prior to sitting down with Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark but, as a genre fan I had to give it a go, despite the tepid reaction my son had to it when he saw it in the theater. From a conceptual standpoint I really liked this film. The idea that a tortured soul could reach out from the beyond to wreak havoc on the living by bringing to life that which frightened you most via writing it in book/diary, sounds hokey but, it worked pretty well here.

Sort of reminiscent of producer Guillermo Del Toro’s penchant for creating monsters to assist in telling his tales, there are a set of fairly well-designed creepers that serve as the foundation for what frightens the film’s characters. I liked that too. What I found lacking in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark are characters that you care about, especially given how the events unfold. I also found the elements of horror to be too generic to prove hair raising. Lastly, I didn’t find the acting, across the board, to be all that convincing.

The ending, which wasn’t so hot, leaves things wide open for a continuance of the story, so we’ll have to see where that goes. As for this film, I would have to side with my son in that my reaction to it is on the lukewarm side. I will say that if aimed at younger/unseasoned genre audiences, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark would more than likely gain more traction.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for terror/violence, disturbing images, thematic elements, language including racial epithets and, brief sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was rendered from 2.8K/3.4K sources. I wasn’t able to determine whether it was finished on a 2K or 4K Digital Intermediate.

From a cinematic perspective this is a genre film that was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in the Ultra HD presentation. I wouldn’t describe this film as overtly colorful, although, there are elements, such as the wide-angle shots of Mill Valley, and its farm lands, where the palate of autumn-based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing vividly pleasing and lifelike. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper definition that makes textures easier to delineate.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, such as the headlights on the police cruiser cutting through the dark as Ramon attempts to escape his living nightmare. The film contains a host of sun splashed, daytime segments, which appeared more vibrant and tonally gradational compared to the Blu-ray. The film’s plethora of defining low level sequences had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast.

Based upon the excellent quality of the original source the difference between viewing Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day, but there is no question that its UHD presentation benefitted from the increase in resolution, WCG and, high dynamic range treatment.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR10 presentations, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

Dolby TrueHD Multi-Channel Sound:

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialog has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. There are a few sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound. This comes in the form of low frequency effects, atmospheric ambience/directional sounds and musical enhancement.

The decision not to offer a Dolby Atmos immersive mix on this home video presentation is a curious one as given its thematic tone and well recorded elements it would easily have benefited from it.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionssgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video.

This isn’t a particularly bright film but, it manages to strike a good balance between the use of dark and light elements. Certain scenes are bathed in monochromatic/sepia/blue while others appear to use natural lighting and splashes of color. This seems to mate well thematically, and I found the visual contrast interesting. In most regards both light and dark sequences have above average depth with appreciable shadow delineation. Blacks are gradational with noteworthy depth. Dynamic range is notable as brighter elements tend to have punchy highlights with visible detail. Resolution occasionally fluctuates but in general, detail is clearly resolvable with discerning visual perspective that results in pleasing, multi-dimensional high definition video quality.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Blu-ray
    • “The Bellows Construct” Featurette
    • “Creature from the Shadows” Featurette
    • “Mood Reels” Featurette
    • “Behind-the-Scenes Trailers: Set Visits” Featurette
    • “Dark Tales” Featurette
    • “Retro Horror” Featurette
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book series by Alvin Schwatrz Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a conceptually strong genre entry that would have benefitted from a stronger script and cast but, it stays afloat due to the total sum of its parts. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring excellent overall image quality, solid lossless 5.1 channel sound (no Atmos?) and a fan friendly assortment of extras. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark will probably leave diehard genre fans wanting but, should find an audience with those not looking for a deeper dive. Give it a rent on Blu-ray and see what you think.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
SteveC356 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 231
This one was okay but a bit derivative. The racist high school bully dude was a cliche but I like how he ended up with the scarecrow. The toe in the soup dude was great. The weird contortionist monster in the police station was okay. Whoever wrote this movie probably read a lot of RL Stine’s books, vis a vis, monsters jumping out of the pages of a book.

This movie would have benefited from a little more violence with an R rating but I get that they were going for the teenage checking-phones-instead-the-theater crowd.

But what really bothered me was that teenager who threw the flaming bag of poop on his sister in the beginning. That derpy look he wore throughout the movie gave me the same feeling I had when I ate the Taco Bell meat before they did the nationwide recall.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #3 of 8 Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Another fine review. I am active on several Facebook film sites and I do hope that you don't mind that I often do a copy and paste of your reviews and recommendations to read your reviews.

In this review you wrote "The decision not to offer a Dolby Atmos immersive mix on this home video presentation is a curious one as given its thematic tone and well recorded elements it would easily have benefited from it."

I do not believe it was a decision at all. Too many viewers seem to complain that they do not get the incredible improvement in their videos and, especially so, the audio when after they buy into the 4K formats and start replacing their blu rays with the UDH titles. I do not believe this is a conscious decision by the production houses for any specific film, but a general overall attitude issue by these producers to just be lazy and cheap and simply change the format without re-editing and re-mixing to the new codecs. Without the re edit and mix, all you are getting is the same thing slightly improved in the video only because you are now seeing a greater number of pixels. Unfortunately, without the great improvements that were supposedly promised, the population will steadily move away from paying more and getting less.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Another fine review. I am active on several Facebook film sites and I do hope that you don't mind that I often do a copy and paste of your reviews and recommendations to read your reviews.

Greetings,

Thank you very much Steve. No, I don't mind at all...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #5 of 8 Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Still haven't picked this one up yet, but tired of my Del Toro flicks not coming with Atmos! I think the Hellboy re-release did, but Shape of Water and Pan's were only 5.1, with Pan's Labyrinth not even including the better 7.1 mix that the Criterion release did.
Jive Turkey likes this.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Still haven't picked this one up yet, but tired of my Del Toro flicks not coming with Atmos! I think the Hellboy re-release did, but Shape of Water and Pan's were only 5.1, with Pan's Labyrinth not even including the better 7.1 mix that the Criterion release did.

I agree, though 5.1 sounds pretty good with Dolby surround upmixing.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #7 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Actually watched this in the theater. For me it was disappointing... more of an 'After School Special' film.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
The credits are rolling! I thought this was a decent rent, with fairly good acting on the part of the main female lead. The PQ was also fairly good, with inky blacks and appreciable shadow details, spot on flesh tones, warm and vibrant colors (when primaries were on display), and striking clarity at times (especially in daytime scenes outdoors and in the school).

The Dolby TrueHD was disappointing at times. I had to crank this up to Reference to get the effects one yearns for in a horror movie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page