The Angry Birds 2 Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By GalvatronType_R
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By bryantc
  • 2 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By gworrel
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By djoberg

post #1 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 6256
The Angry Birds 2 Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

The flightless angry birds and the scheming green piggies take their beef to the next level when a new threat emerges that puts both Bird and Pig Island in danger. Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of The Angry Birds 2 Movie from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year:
MPAA Rating:
Feature running time:
Genre:

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s):
Subtitles:
Starring: Jason Sudeikis Josh Gad, Danny McBride, Awkwafina, Bill Hader, Peter Dinklage, Sterling K. Brown, Rachel Bloom, Leslie Jones, Eugenio Derbez, Pete Davidson.
Directed by: Thurop Van Orman
Music by: Heitor Pereira
Written by: Peter Ackerman, Eyal Podell, Jonathan E. Stewart
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 12, 2019

"Frenemies Unite"

Synopsis:

“The flightless angry birds and the scheming green piggies take their beef to the next level when a new threat emerges that puts both Bird and Pig Island in danger.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

In The Angry Birds 2 Movie Red, Chuck, Bomb and the rest of their feathered friends are surprised when a green pig suggests that they put aside their differences and unite to fight a common threat. Aggressive birds from an island covered in ice are planning to use an elaborate weapon to destroy the fowl and swine way of life. After picking their best and brightest, the birds and pigs come up with a scheme to infiltrate the island, deactivate the device and return to their respective paradises intact.

I can recall when the Angry Birds app was all the rage. My wife was quite a fan at one point but, the novelty wore off quite some time ago. So here we are with not one but, two entire movies devoted to the Angry Birds and their nemesis, the Piggies. I didn’t find the first film to be all that inspired so, I held out little hope for any truly engaging entertainment from The Angry Birds 2 Movie.

As with its predecessor, I found myself chuckling aloud here and there, but truth be told, the story, while serviceable enough, isn't conceptually strong or original. The various situational gags, banter and character design borrows from better animated films. There is little emotional depth and stirring sentiment to allow for a viable connection to the plot or characters. Some of the humor is a bit off color which is fine I suppose but, again, I felt that a better script would have blended the story’s various elements into something more cohesive and easily digestible for both its target demographic and their parents.

The feelings about The Angry Birds 2 Movie are similar to those of the first film, it isn't bad but, there is little about it that makes it resonate, which in turn makes it feel like a throw away. I guess fans of the first film will get a kick out of seeing the return of its characters/cast in another big screen adventure. As for me, one viewing is plenty.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for rude humor and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

DTS:X Rating: 82

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of DTS:X platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Angry Birds 2 Movie comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio sound.

The Angry Birds 2 Movie in Ultra HD is rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. In terms of resolution the differences are apparent as there is a noticeably finer texture in the minutia, especially in the characteristics/physical makeup of the characters. This also applied to backgrounds which emphasized depth of field. The scenes that takes place at the speed dating location and during the first full meeting of the birds and piggies (before the ice bomb attack) looked nearly 3D at times. The image has lots of pop as the expanded color gamut and emboldened dynamic range draw out the broad chromatic palate, and use of contrast. Whites are gradational and bright and the monochromatic grays, blues and black featured in the sequences that take place in dimly lit environs, look terrific, appearing multi-staged and dimensional.

The application of HDR added a complimentary and defining element that proved eye-catching. As good as The Angry Birds 2 Movie looks in 1080p, the Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch, making for a visually engaging and pleasing video presentation.

DTS:X:

In listening to the DTS:X mix I found it to be of the laid-back variety, which considering the source material, wasn't surprising. More isn’t always better and this soundtrack doesn't contain an overabundance of elements that would allow for a busier object-based mix with respect to the overhead channels. In general, its use of sounds placed above is limited to atmospherics and occasional panning fills. I would say that where applied it's done to good effect, coinciding with the onscreen events nicely.

As an enthusiast I appreciate a well-crafted sound mix that draws me into the onscreen elements, regardless of where the sounds are emanating from. This DTS:X mix is fair, broadening the soundstage and incorporating point by point cues, both on and off camera. While it may have benefitted slightly from more active use of audio objects, I didn’t feel let down by it and ultimately enjoyed the presentation as a whole.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

The Angry Birds 2 Movie comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is a reference quality video presentation that boasts vivacious colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail is superlative as the video has definitive three-dimensional quality with crisp texture and excellent fine articulation. Contrast is strong and well balanced so that whites are crisp and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and enriching gradational highlights. This is a beautiful and pristine quality digital transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio presentation renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialog is delivered with appreciable tonal variation and refinement. The surrounds are active and used to good effect for front/rear channel pans and reproduction of music related ambience. The mix isn’t overly aggressive but does create an enjoyable listening experience that matches the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: The Angry Birds 2 Movie Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: The angry Birds 2 Movie Blu-ray
    • ALL NEW MINI MOVIE! - “Live Stream”
    • DIY Family Fun!:
    o “Hangry Birds: Popcorn Balls”
    o “Smarty Birds: Crafty Volcano”
    o “Crafty Birds: Pig Snot”
    • “Bird Watching”
    • “Meet The New Birds & Pigs”
    • “Hatching the Hatchlings”
    • “Flocking Together: Making The Angry Birds Movie 2”
    • “Happy Thanks-pigging”
    • “Jingle Birds: A Holiday Song From The Cast of Angry Birds 2”
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the most downloaded app of all time, The Angry Birds 2 Movie is the follow up to 2016’s The Angry Birds Movie and, much like its predecessor, is a middling animated tale that has its moments, but ultimately comes up short when compared to the better films in its genre. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent Ultra HD and, standard high definition video, gratifying lossless surround sound, including a fair DTS:X mix, and a fan friendly assortment of extras that are worth exploring if you enjoyed the film. The Angry Birds 2 Movie wasn't my cup of tea but, for diehard Angry Bird fans it may be worth checking out.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Sorry folks, I haven't seen this one yet so I cannot post one of my semi-amusing, semi-literate hate watch rants on the quality of the movie.

But I'll be back. My greatness and genius cannot be suppressed for long.
jherring69 and Ralph Potts like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #3 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Thanks Ralph. I thought the first one was really funny and plan to pick this up sight unseen. I enjoy these animations a lot.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Sorry folks, I haven't seen this one yet so I cannot post one of my semi-amusing, semi-literate hate watch rants on the quality of the movie.

But I'll be back. My greatness and genius cannot be suppressed for long.
Security to Gate 3, security to Gate 3..

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 503
This is supposed to be the first non-documentary IMAX Enhanced disc. Ralph do you have the equipment to try that?
Ralph Potts likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #6 of 15 Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
This is supposed to be the first non-documentary IMAX Enhanced disc. Ralph do you have the equipment to try that?

Greetings,

I don't....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #7 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 2147
I picked this up at Walmart on Tuesday and hope to view part or all of it in the next few days. I have the "first installment" and even though the movie wasn't on par with a Pixar or Dreamworks film, it was "okay." What I really LOVED about it was the amazing COLORS and DETAILS and I am anticipating another "Reference Quality" disc in the sequel.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 11-14-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
for diehard Angry Bird fans it may be worth checking out
There are diehard Angry Bird fans?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-18-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post

Greetings,

Just covering all the bases....

Regards,
gworrel likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 15 Old 11-19-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
I, for one, am not a fan of angry birds. In fact, I often shoot them with a pellet gun!

Seriously though, I don't think the Angry Birds original was as bad as some say. But what really got my attention, and caused me to buy the sequel, was the AMAZING COLORS!! I am a huge fan of Reference Quality PQ and this animated marvel had that in spades.

I'm on a trip right now but when I get back I plan on watching the sequel and then chiming in here.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #11 of 15 Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I finally got around to watching this and if I were to pick one word to describe the PQ it would be: DAZZLING! The CLARITY was simply superb with unbelievable COLORS, DETAILS and TEXTURE! The DEPTH was also amazing at times, along with super-strong CONTRAST. This is "Reference Quality" all the way through.

AQ-wise, I was just as disappointed as Ralph was, especially when it came to explosions that should have produced exemplary bass/LFE. I had the volume at near reference too, so it's obvious the producers/directors chose to limit its capability.

Movie-wise, it was similar with the first installment, with a few good laughs and silly action scenes. Check your mind at the door and you'll be okay!
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Okay, I finally got around to watching this and if I were to pick one word to describe the PQ it would be: DAZZLING! The CLARITY was simply superb with unbelievable COLORS, DETAILS and TEXTURE! The DEPTH was also amazing at times, along with super-strong CONTRAST. This is "Reference Quality" all the way through.

AQ-wise, I was just as disappointed as Ralph was, especially when it came to explosions that should have produced exemplary bass/LFE. I had the volume at near reference too, so it's obvious the producers/directors chose to limit its capability.

Movie-wise, it was similar with the first installment, with a few good laughs and silly action scenes. Check your mind at the door and you'll be okay!

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts/impressions Denny! Have a Happy Thanksgiving..

Regards,
djoberg likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts/impressions Denny! Have a Happy Thanksgiving..

Regards,
And a "Happy Thanksgiving" to you too Ralph! Remember to "push yourself away from the Thanksgiving table" BEFORE you're unable to.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #14 of 15 Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'll give this one a go. Thank you everyone.

Spoiler!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Since it doesn't seem to be on the disc, I just wanted to share this short film that played in front of the film in theaters, Hair Love

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page