Blinded by the Light Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By bobknavs
  • 2 Post By Brajesh
  • 6 Post By DavAbq
  • 3 Post By curtlots
  • 2 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 1 Post By curtlots
  • 1 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 2 Post By DLDukes
  • 2 Post By bobknavs
  • 2 Post By gworrel

post #1 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 6269
Blinded by the Light Blu-ray Review

From Warner Brothers Home Entertainment comes the inspirational drama Blinded by the Light, a joyful story of courage, love, hope, family and the unique ability of music to lift the human spirit, that is set to the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen’s timeless songs. Check out Ralph Potts’ Blu-ray review.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biopic

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital English 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Viveik Kalra, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Ganatra, Nell Williams, Aaron Phagura, Dean- Charles Chapman
Directed by: Gurinder Chadha
Music by: A.R. Rahman
Written by: Sarfraz Manzoor, Gurinder Chadha, Paul Mayeda Berges
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 19, 2019

"Inspired by the True Story"

Synopsis:

“From writer-director-producer Gurinder Chadha (“Bend It Like Beckham”) comes the inspirational drama “Blinded by the Light,” set to the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen’s timeless songs, a joyful story of courage, love, hope, family and the unique ability of music to lift the human spirit.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment.

My Take:

The film tells the story of Javed (Viveik Kalra), a British teen of Pakistani descent growing up in the town of Luton, England, in 1987. Amidst the racial and economic turmoil of the times, he writes poetry as a means to escape the intolerance of his hometown and the inflexibility of his traditional father (Kulvinder Ghir). But when a classmate (Aaron Phagura) introduces him to the music of Bruce Springsteen, Javed sees parallels to his working-class life in the powerful lyrics. As Javed discovers a cathartic outlet for his own pent-up dreams, he also begins to find the courage to express himself in his own unique voice.

Inspired by a true story, based on co-writer Sarfraz Manzoor’s acclaimed memoir “Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N’ Roll,” Blinded by the Light is a coming of age drama/biopic that fires on all cylinders. As a fan of these types of films and as someone that vividly recalls the period in which it takes place. It’s a predominantly light, spirted and tonally engaging film with a feel-good essence that left a smile on my face. It's a personal and explorative story that tells of Javed’s transformative experience after finding a means of expression through poetry and the inspirational music of Springsteen.

The narrative is filled with subtlety, some purposeful, some natural, and a wonderfully balanced story that speaks to the meaningful relationships in Javed’s life, while not giving way to the oft used romance melodrama that can generally be found in a genre piece like this.

Co-writer/director Gurinder Chadha paints in even strokes with respect to setting the thematic tone of the film, the rendering of its characters, their interpersonal relationships and, conflict. She builds upon them well, via engaging interplay and the interwoven music which is quite entertaining. I found Viveik Kalra’s performance to be the foundation upon which the story rests. The remaining members of the cast are solid in their respective supporting roles.

It would be fair to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Blinded by the Light. I appreciated its authenticity, charming performances and fresh essence all of which adds up to a memorable, nostalgic and feel good film that is invigorating, moving and, fun.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material and language including some ethnic slurs.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Blinded by the Light comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is a great looking high definition video presentation from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. Images are resolved with appreciable detail that reveals plenty of discernible texture during close up camera shots. The exterior pans of various shooting locations are clearly rendered while offering lucid long-range visual acuity that allows the physical structure of buildings, streets and objects in backgrounds to be discernible. The film doesn’t utilize an extensive chromatic palette but tonal balance is on the money which leaves colors looking quite natural and pleasing. Fleshtones appear lifelike in depiction. White and black levels are appropriately balanced which provides punchy whites and stable blacks.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, music and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. There are several set pieces that show off the track’s blend of music and, smaller object sounds that create a wonderfully involving listening experience, that broadens the soundstage. For instance, there is some excellent use of the overhead channels during the scene where Javed is at the street market and begins to sing to Eliza along with Springsteen’s music through his headphones. While this isn’t what I would regard as an aggressive Atmos mix I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere combined with discrete object placement. I think that it made for an entertaining listening experience.

The lossless soundtrack is above average for a dialog driven film like this and features lively dynamics, clearly articulated dialogue, in an open sounding and airy presentation. The film’s music is spread over the entire system with primary instrumental focus being delivered by the front three channels with ambient extension bled to the surround speakers. I thought this surround mix was perfectly suited for the film and sounded wonderful.

Bonus Features:
  • Memoir to Movie
  • The Most Crazy Thing
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Inspired by a true story, based on co-writer Sarfraz Manzoor’s acclaimed memoir “Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N’ Roll,” Blinded by the Light is a coming of age drama/biopic that fires on all cylinders, making for a memorable, nostalgic and feel good film that is invigorating, moving and, fun. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video, including a solid Dolby Atmos surround mix and a fair supplemental package. Blinded by the Light is pitch perfect entertainment that is tailor made for genre fans that feed on its subject matter.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
Brajesh and SuperFist like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
An Atmos title that isn't UHD?

May have to get it, if only because of rarity.

(More seriously, I hadn't heard of it, but Ralph's review in enticing.)
DavAbq and Ralph Potts like this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 11-27-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Terrific movie; you'd have to be a curmudgeon not to enjoy it ! Shame no 4K disc as the 4K streaming version on VUDU looks very good (just a tad dark).

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have to say it, this would be my choice for movie of the decade. I think it’s very sad more people didn’t see it because they would definitely enjoy it. I really liked Yesterday, and thought this was much better. Dragged my wife to it and she agreed, as I’m sure friends who come over to watch the BR will. Somehow they just never even heard of it they tell me. Sure, I have the steelbox all of the comic movies and the last two Avengers conclusions exhausted me emotionally, and I like them, but this is just a great human story and entertainment with extremely good directing.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 201
One of the best movies I've seen in a long time! I actually watched it twice in a row, something I can't recall ever doing before.
SuperFist, DavAbq and Ralph Potts like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-20-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Have to say it, this would be my choice for movie of the decade. I think it’s very sad more people didn’t see it because they would definitely enjoy it. I really liked Yesterday, and thought this was much better. Dragged my wife to it and she agreed, as I’m sure friends who come over to watch the BR will. Somehow they just never even heard of it they tell me. Sure, I have the steelbox all of the comic movies and the last two Avengers conclusions exhausted me emotionally, and I like them, but this is just a great human story and entertainment with extremely good directing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
One of the best movies I've seen in a long time! I actually watched it twice in a row, something I can't recall ever doing before.
I couldn't agree with you guys more. I really liked "The Peanut Butter Falcon," but this is the best movie of the year that I've seen. Like DavAbq stated, this may be the best movie of the decade. Wow...what a gem.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #7 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Wasn’t the ‘Born to Run’ sequence powerful enough to make you think about it long time after? Great directing.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Wasn’t the ‘Born to Run’ sequence powerful enough to make you think about it long time after? Great directing.
Yes it was, there's so much in the movie that really hits home. I don't know if it was just me, but there were many sequences in the movie that had my eyes welling up a bit which almost never happens to me.

The movie further inspired me to order Western Stars, and two of his earliest recordings to round out my collection. Hard to believe, but I never had Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ or The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle.
DavAbq likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it was, there's so much in the movie that really hits home. I don't know if it was just me, but there were many sequences in the movie that had my eyes welling up a bit which almost never happens to me.

The movie further inspired me to order Western Stars, and two of his earliest recordings to round out my collection. Hard to believe, but I never had Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ or The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle.
I've never been a big follower of Springsteen's music other than hearing his "popular songs" on the radio. In fact, I didn't know most of the music in the movie and still enjoyed the hell out of it.
curtlots likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I definitely enjoyed it. I thought it could have been edited as some of the dance scenarios seemed a bit forced and over long as well as his monologue near the end. Picture quality and the sound quality were off the charts. During that scene where he throws his writings out the window I just couldn't believe the immersion. Also, I enjoyed Bruce Springsteen's popular songs but really not familiar with all of his works. Honestly Ralph, I don't know how you sit through so many movies!

Last edited by Hairsonfire; 11-26-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typos
post #11 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairsonfire View Post
I definitely enjoyed it. I thought it could have been edited as some of the dance scenarios seemed a bit forced and over long as well as his monologue near the end. Picture quality and the sound quality were off the charts. During that scene where he throws his writings out the window I just couldn't believe the immersion. Also, I enjoyed Bruce Springsteen's popular songs but really not familiar with all of his works. Honestly Ralph, I don't know how you sit through so many movies!
He's retired...that's how

post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
In a former life, I was a Bruce Bore. That obsessed, obnoxious fanatic who had to have and know all things Bruce. Friends who knew me back then, were shocked that I made no trek to NYC too see the recent broadway show.

We fans are so spoiled now. Now, he's making performance videos/movies, has dozens of top quality live shows available for download, and other people are making movies about "The PROMISE, and the GLORY, of the MAGIC and the MINISTRY" that is Springsteen's Rock N Roll.

I am so glad to read how folks, casual and fanatic, genuinely liked this movie. I thought it had a ton of heart, and of course, identified with those first intense introductions to that nameless joy you feel when you recognize that you are not alone in the world, that someone and sometimes an entire community of someones "Gets It", and thereby Gets you.

Thanks yet again, Ralph, for bringing us your thoughts on two subjects near and dear, Movie's and Springsteen!
D
Ralph Potts and DavAbq like this.

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #13 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 6269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDukes View Post
In a former life, I was a Bruce Bore. That obsessed, obnoxious fanatic who had to have and know all things Bruce. Friends who knew me back then, were shocked that I made no trek to NYC too see the recent broadway show.

We fans are so spoiled now. Now, he's making performance videos/movies, has dozens of top quality live shows available for download, and other people are making movies about "The PROMISE, and the GLORY, of the MAGIC and the MINISTRY" that is Springsteen's Rock N Roll.

I am so glad to read how folks, casual and fanatic, genuinely liked this movie. I thought it had a ton of heart, and of course, identified with those first intense introductions to that nameless joy you feel when you recognize that you are not alone in the world, that someone and sometimes an entire community of someones "Gets It", and thereby Gets you.

Thanks yet again, Ralph, for bringing us your thoughts on two subjects near and dear, Movie's and Springsteen!
D

Greetings,

You are very welcome. The pleasure was mine DLDukes. Thanks as always for sharing..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #14 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
An Atmos title that isn't UHD?

May have to get it, if only because of rarity.

(More seriously, I hadn't heard of it, but Ralph's review in enticing.)
Got it, and watched it.

I admit that I've never been interested in Bruce Springsteen. (I was amazed at the resale ticket prices for his recent Broadway run.)

I barely noticed the A/V aspects of the movie. The performances were strong, especially Viveik Kalra (the lead).

Even though it was more or less a feel-good movie, the script wasn't manipulative. It wasn't a guilty pleasure for me.

If you're looking for a movie for adults (even though it's a coming-of-age movie), without a lot of CGI and a $100M plus budget, give this one a try.

Thanks again for the review, Ralph. I would have missed it otherwise.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I couldn't agree with you guys more. I really liked "The Peanut Butter Falcon," but this is the best movie of the year that I've seen. Like DavAbq stated, this may be the best movie of the decade. Wow...what a gem.
In the last week I watched Yesterday, Peanut Butter Falcon, and now Blinded by the Light. Wow. What a delight. Movies like these are what make movies worth watching. Three of my favorite movies in a long time. My home theater can do explosions with the best of them, but man it sure does sound good with some Bruce Springsteen too.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page