Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
This is so much more complex than what you are making it to be that I wouldn't know where to start. Do tell, though, what "social justice" has to do with fans lamenting a final season below expectations.
Not sure what the term "social justice" is meant to imply, but societies of persons exist as social constructs and are a fabric of interlocking laws, strictures, conventions, and customs, all of which are subsumed under the broader concept and implementation of "JUSTICE." The cohesiveness of that social fabric relies upon people of good faith and integrity living up to their social contracts which defines their own integrity and makes them worthy to be a thread in a much larger whole.

When fans impart to you their devoted hours and word of mouth, planting your creative efforts in the stream of cultural phenomena, I submit that a bond of trust engages, fiduciary duties and obligations ensue. Of course you can quite legally abrogate that tacit, though no less applicable, fundamental understanding, rendering you a person of low integrity, but of course this defines you as someone not worthy to hold your place in the tapestry of interwoven trust.

Did these writers in the end analysis betray their contract? Did the obligation they had set up prove unwieldy and did it then totally overwhelm them? Did they simply cash in after milking the thing for all it was worth? Was this a more or less classic bait and switch (long reviled as an onerous act)? Many found themselves betrayed in the end. The ultimate legacy of this show, meaning countless hours of a wide swath of persons' lives, not to mention the reputations of the show's creative personnel, now have been harmed.

Not rising to a cause of action through the courts, but I submit, one more instance of the tearing away of the social fabric, which diminishes us, even if not life and death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 12-06-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I'm no SJW by any means. The final two seasons of the show were poorly implemented from a writing standpoint and it was rushed with little care or thought to the fans.
I would say they fell short of their own bar they set on previous seasons. One could also theorize that once they reached the end of the books they started to "clutching at straws" as they were on their own.
Dave Vaughn, jherring69 and ez1dog like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #33 of 49 Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I would say they fell short of their own bar they set on previous seasons. One could also theorize that once they reached the end of the books they started to "clutching at straws" as they were on their own.
Tyrion's character fell apart the last two years, which was very disappointing, since he was always my favorite.
thehun likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 12-07-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Not sure what the term "social justice" is meant to imply
I was referring to his/her use of the term SJW, Social Justice Warriors. Your take on the subject is really interesting, though, and I have to say that I concur in large part.
What I wanted to object to is the equation "people who are not satisfied with something = Social Justice Warriors". The change of pacing alone would be enough, for me, to be left unsatisfied with the final season (although it began in the previous one). And the change of pacing brought a lot of rushed things with it. Characters can change but a narrator needs to show that happening. Show, don't tell.
Dave Vaughn and Emaych like this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #35 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Finally get to see Game of Thrones in proper quality. HBO Nordic's app was 480p, worse-than-DVD garbage. It honestly looked like VHS in 2019. 1973 tech.
post #36 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 05:05 AM
-ZG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
"The Long Night" was disappointing when it was first streamed, primed me for the UHD release despite the non-visual content going downhill.
post #37 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 3666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Well the compression on Xfinity Comcast cable has gotten so bad, HBO especially. It looks like 480p at best, too compressed all kinds of artifacts. Trying to watch that Golden compass series is a nightmare looking forward to getting some of these shows on UHD and giving up on cable. Paying extra for HBO and garbage compression is total slap in the face.
I'm with you on this one!!!

The reason, I do not watch any shows that should be on my big screen on screening services . And do the same with serious music listening, the reason I always buy a hard copy. No matter if it is BD, 4K or CD's.

Darth
post #38 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
A couple years ago I had a dagger made which represents Game of Thrones in my man's cave.

This is one outstanding piece of craftsmanship, your knife maker must be a master in his trade

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 12-09-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #39 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
After Tolkien, I never thought I could enjoy fantasy again. Then I started reading Game of Thrones. I went through all 5 books 3 times, before I could put them down. For me, after the TV show ran past the source material, I began my GOT mantra,"The show is not the book, and that's OK". So, I was much less critical of the last season. It seemed like the creators decided to stick with the epic action (which was truly amazing and will change TV forever) rather than expand the various plot lines. Think of "The Children" Season 4's finale. It was the combination of the action with the emotional impact of the character arcs that made the show special.
Personally, I pray for George's continued health and inspiration, I want to feel the thrill of turning those pages again, never knowing which beloved character would be put to the sword.
Season 8 has a place on my shelf.
Thanks, Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.

Klipsch RB-51II (Mains) Klipsch RC-52II (Center) Klipsch RS-42II (Surrounds)
SVS SB12-NSD / Klipsch KSW-10 (Subs)
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080
Denon AVR-2310CI - Oppo UDP-203 - Roku 3
post #40 of 49 Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
This is one outstanding piece of craftsmanship, your knife maker must be a master in his trade

Darth

Darth

He is. It takes more than a year before a piece is ready and that does not count the time in back and fourth discussing the design, ideas, and drafts.

Here is a silver cane he produced. The silver section is the handle. It's called The Pole Dancer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	628-pole-dancer-cane-canes.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	2651864  
Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans

Last edited by JimShaw; 12-09-2019 at 10:35 PM.
post #41 of 49 Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Watched the first 2 eps in 4K Dolby vision and atmos on my LG C9. It is like watching a different show. I first watched this on a NOW TV stream which was a poor 720p. But this disc is incredibly cinematic - the shadow detail is immense and not forgetting the sound - the whoosh of the dragons in ep. 1 was awesome and brought a smile to my face. Whatever you thought re the GoT plot lines - this disc is definitely the way to watch it. Over the next few days I’ll watch the other eps - george

Spoiler!
post #42 of 49 Old 12-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I passed on UHD and went with season 8 on BR disc... just like seasons 1-7.

IMHO the GoT series on BR is the best looking 1080p content I've seen on my OLED and the Atmos just makes it that much more amazing.

The fact that ALL the seasons aren't yet available in UHD is another reason I passed... although honestly I don't know if I'll ever make the purchase even if a UHD set is released because the BR discs are just too good even without HDR.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts, SteveC356 and Panson like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #43 of 49 Old 12-25-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the last two weeks, since the release of the last chapter of this series. I was honestly bum, not for the show itself been disappointed for many fan's. But not having any 4K versions, only a ton of BD one's.

Well today at Christmas, my wife had one in my stocking. A 4k one to boot
Looking forward to watch, and as usual will make my own mind. If I like the Chapter or not.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Darth
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-28-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #44 of 49 Old 01-01-2020, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So far we watch the first 5 episode, of this last chapter of the series.

While there was many left curve, and not going what I would excepted. Or the type of ending I would have prefer so far.
I will say, while others were disappointed in this last chapter. My Wife and I, very enjoy-it so far. And cannot wait to see the last Episode.
After all, it is nice once in a while. To end a show, not for what is prefer and hope for.

Darth
SteveC356 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 01-01-2020 at 06:37 PM.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I went to watch the first episode yesterday and put in the fist disc and it started to load and stopped saying invalid format I tried again same error. I was about to try the disc in another player and noticed that the disc had two scratches all along the whole outside edge. Today I exchanged it for another copy which is scratch free and I’m looking forward to starting season 8 for the first time today. On the upside I now have a second digital copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #46 of 49 Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I passed on UHD and went with season 8 on BR disc... just like seasons 1-7.

IMHO the GoT series on BR is the best looking 1080p content I've seen on my OLED and the Atmos just makes it that much more amazing.

The fact that ALL the seasons aren't yet available in UHD is another reason I passed... although honestly I don't know if I'll ever make the purchase even if a UHD set is released because the BR discs are just too good even without HDR.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
That's good to know, depending on BD and 4K UHD box price differences, and review differences, when 4K UHD does arrive. Looking months ahead, still no sign of it.
TravisPNW likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #47 of 49 Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
That's good to know, depending on BD and 4K UHD box price differences, and review differences, when 4K UHD does arrive. Looking months ahead, still no sign of it.
My local wall mart, also had a ton of BD. Thanks to my Wife, she got me one of the very few 4K version.
What I find odd, since that show was so popular. You would think, that more 4K would be available

For the price difference, it was only $10 more in Canada

Darth
Panson likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 01-07-2020 at 07:52 AM.
post #48 of 49 Old 01-12-2020, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Today we watch the last episode, of the last season.

While others were disappointed with this season, I must my wife and I both enjoyed it. The lower bass frequencies on the 4K, was very aggressive. I little bit too much for, even without any increase from the calibration level. The Atmos were nice and very well done

Unfortunately on the last episode, the 4K version froze on us (between chapter 4 and 5). And after trying to get going, we both knew that we have miss a big part of the story once going.

So I switch to the BD version. The good was the picture look also very nice, the bad would be been an non Atmos soundtrack. Was not as good for the ceiling duty speakers, and the bass was a lot more subdue

Anyone else with the 4K version, found the lower frequencies to be on the heavy side?

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 01-12-2020 at 07:22 PM.
post #49 of 49 Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Thanks for the review!
I picked up the UHD Steel Throne...oops...Book version earlier this week.

Humm....
I found this season very much similar to previous seasons, note that I'm likely more of a casual viewer of the series and certainly not a die hard fan.

Some people change/grow/develop (for better, for worse), some people confirm that they are the same.

Lot's of people die, characters I'll miss even though they were nasty people and characters I'll miss that were half decent folks (very few, one or two, don't have blood on their hands).
The production value continued to expand infringing into movie territory for certain, of particular interest are the number of episodes over an hour and fifteen minuets.
Stories untold that I'd like to know about, from North to South just for grins...
Spoiler!

Cheers,
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; Yesterday at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page