Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 6255
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones, the engaging and compelling HBO Series based on the bestselling book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: HBO - 2019
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Feature running time: 425 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Lain, Spanish, Castilian, Polish, Brazilian, Portuguese, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
Starring: Peter Dinklage, Nikolai Coster-Waldau, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Iain Glen, Alfrie Allen, John Bradley, Jerome Flynn, Liam Cunningham, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Conleth Hill, Aiden Gillen, Conleth Hill, Sibel Kekilli, Maise Williams, Gwendoline Christie, Rory McCann
Directed by: Various
Music by: Ramin Djawadi
Written by: ] D.B. Weiss & David Benioff based on the “Song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin
Region Code: A

Release Date: December 3, 2019

"The Conclusion"

Synopsis:

The Eighth and final season of Game of Thrones brings together the shows two primary conflicts: the battle against the Night King and his Army of the Dead, and the long-awaited fight for control of the Iron Throne. The first three episodes involve the convergence and ultimate battle for mankind’s survival at Winterfell and, the final three episodes depict the war for the throne at Kings Landing in an attempt to unseat Cersei Lannister as the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

My Take:

I was late the Game of Thrones phenomenon and didn’t begin watching it until season three. I haven’t read any of the books so my exposure to it going into viewing season three was limited and held only to what I had heard from friends that have been following from the outset. Needless to say, it was a challenge trying to put the various storylines, characters and their correlation or lack thereof together. Once I began putting the pieces and associations in place, I was able to begin absorbing the show’s cache of characters and the multitude of subplots. I have since seen all of its episodes and am completely hooked.

Based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling book series “A Song of Ice and Fire”, Games of Thrones is a compelling and at times shocking experience that over the previous seven seasons has proved to be one of the best series made for television. Last season the continuing story rolled onward playing out with the various narrative threads coming together as reunions, alliances, payback, betrayal, the deaths of key players, and a pretty meaningful revelation, took place, putting the pieces in place for the chess game that will decide the outcome. All of this under the looming threat of the Army of Dead. Each episode proved to be a little better than the next as the engaging character interaction, bold drama, and wonderfully infused action underscored the series excellent thematic elements. The ending was among the series best, leaving the door wide open for the series final season’s key storylines, which were poised to take shape.

The final season brings together the shows two primary conflicts: the battle against the Night King and his Army of the Dead, and the long-awaited fight for control of the Iron Throne. The season is only six episodes in length and opens with Jon Snow and Daenerys arriving in Winterfell to a less than enthusiastic welcome. Over the next three episodes we see the culmination of a series of events, some of which had beginnings that started much earlier in the series. The majority of the show’s living character base find themselves in Winterfell in an effort to thwart the looming threat that is the Night King and his minions. The season’s first three episodes, while not perfect, proved engaging and did a decent job of building upon the foundational blocks of previous seasons.

Episode three, an extended episode called “The Long Night” which depicts the battle against the Army of the Dead is a white-knuckle affair that sees the loss of many, including several long-standing characters. It’s my favorite episode of the season. Episodes four, five and six focus on the quest to unseat Cersei and resolve the question of who will sit upon the Iron Thrown. In my opinion, this is where things go awry in terms of the shaping of the show’s final narrative and outcome for its characters. There is an unexpectedly darker turn that brings into question just how to interpret the mindset of one of the show’s beloved characters.

Things quickly escalate leaving the audience to feel as though perhaps they aren’t watching the same show/characters that they have come to enjoy so much. There is also a noticeable lack of diligence when it comes to fulfilling the promise of some of the show’s smaller supporting plotlines in favor simply bringing everything to a neat, tidy and bloody end. Lastly, the decisions surrounding the outcomes of who lives, dies and comes to power are far from gratifying. When the final credits rolled, I was not only disappointed but, was a little angry, felling as through my investment in the Game of Thrones was not at all brought to a satisfactory conclusion. From what I gather, I wasn’t the only fan that felt this way.

The subject of this review of this review of the Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray, Digital HD, Ultra HD Blu-ray release. I really like the steelbook packaging's handsome exterior with the removable sigil magnet. The interior has two push button placement holders, one on each side, for the discs. My only complaint is that the discs have to mounted atop one another and I occasionally found it difficult to extract the discs by pressing the button.

Replay Value: 3.0 Stars

Parental Guide:

The show contains graphic violence, language, sexual content, nudity and strong thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 94

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Game of Thrones: The complete Eighth comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from HBO Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K.

Game of Thrones is a period drama that adheres to relatively cooler chromatic schemes, with the exception of sequences that call for richer color to provide thematic emphasis, which doesn't make for especially eye- catching levels of color, but this Ultra HD rendering makes the most of its elements. With a noticeable increase in detail the image appears sharper when compared to the 1080p version. The plethora of close up camera shots reveal plenty of subtle refinement and textures within the image. Primary colors like blue and red are pleasingly rich while whites appear bright and punchy.

The added dimension in the grays, blacks, and shadows gives the image excellent depth. Both interior and exterior scenes during the extended nighttime battle at Winterfell are a good example. The exterior sequences in Kings Landing with their sepia toned aesthetic and razor sharpness looked terrific. The season has a variety of sequences that take advantage of high dynamic range. The contrast between the shadow details and specular highlights during the aforementioned battle at Winterfell gave the image lots of visual pop. I think that Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season benefitted from the Ultra HD treatment. The improvement isn’t a consistently glaring one, however more often than not, it truly shines.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1:

Game of Thrones was the first TV series to incorporate Dolby Atmos. Having seen previous seasons, with Dolby Atmos, and being familiar with this season’s events, I looked forward to seeing what the mix had in store. I found this offering to more active than previous offerings, utilizing the entire soundstage quite nicely. Game of Thrones has elements of action/adventure as well as moments driven almost entirely by dialog. The show features a variety of interior and exterior locations/sequences containing a host of recorded sounds/effects designed to replicate its environs.

The Atmos mix uses the entire soundstage placing audio objects in the form of discrete on and off camera cues, or convincingly replicating the echoed expanse of a great hall, overhead pans, rollicking battleground exchanges, and the howling winds of winter. The music score is beautifully mixed over the platform so as to add natural dimension and prioritization to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the story's thematic details. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized. The Atmos mix retains the soundtrack's essence while adding a noticeable increase in scope.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless sound keeps pace with the video and is quite good. Dynamics are robust and highs are crisp without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with defining tonal expression and room penetrating depth through the center channel. The front soundstage is diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the entire surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving surround mix containing a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides an appreciably tight, and punchy low end.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season comes to Blu-ray Disc from HBO Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This high definition video presentation offers clear, refined images that primarily boast a relatively subdued color palette that is rarely eye catching but, conveys the earth tones and period specific clothing, locals and sullen complexions with aplomb. The rendering of fine detail can range from exquisite to moderate. This leaves certain long range and mid-level shots with less dimensionality but not to the point of appearing soft. Black levels fluctuate however contrast is stable which when coupled along with the prevailing use of low-level lighting mates well with the visual style of the presentation. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts/anomalies and felt that this high definition presentation easily bested the series’ original broadcast quality.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season Blu-ray
  • In-Episode Guides
  • Game of Thrones: The Last Watch: A documentary featured on DVD in two parts by filmmaker Jeanie Finlay chronicling the making of the final season.
  • When Winter Falls: Exclusive 30-minute featurette with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, along with major stars and behind-the-scenes players, breaking down all that went into the colossal filming of the “Battle of Winterfell” in Season 8, Episode 3.
  • Duty is the Death of Love: A compelling look at how the team behind Game of Thrones and its major stars, including Kit Harington, Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke, brought the show to its conclusion in the series finale, “The Iron Throne.”
  • Audio Commentaries: 10 Audio Commentaries with cast and crew, including the show’s creators, Benioff and Weiss, on the final season.
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes: 5 never-before-seen deleted or extended scenes from season 8.
  • Histories and Lore: New animated pieces giving the history and background of notable season 8 locations and storylines.
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

In season eight of the HBO original series Game of Thrones , which is based on the bestselling book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin, we see the series playout to its final conclusion. The season started out well but, unfortunately failed to provide expectant fans with a gratifyingly strong ending, given the wealth of enriching plotlines and characters over the course of the show. The Complete Eighth Season comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from HBO Entertainment featuring excellent overall video quality (which includes Dolby Vision HDR), engaging lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive mix and a fair supplemental package.

Despite being disappointed by the series final three episodes Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season has a place in my collection alongside seasons 1 through 7. It’s presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray look and sound terrific so, in that regard feel free to pick it up.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 12-03-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks for the review. Season 8 is destined to be a let down no matter what. The build up of the conflicts are always more interesting than their resolution. My problem with the Night King is that it took 7 season to build up the fight in Ep3. The showrunner simply made the Army of The Dead too strong, too incredulous and too numerous to any human armies. As if that wasn't enough already, they even gave the Night King a dragon at his disposal. That led to the resolution of the battle very unsatisfactory to me.
Ralph Potts, dnoonie and carp like this.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Ralph - thanks for the review. In the UK GoT is on Sky and I watched on their streaming platform and it wasn't good. I'm waiting for this to delivered and I am hoping both the image and sound will be much improved from my original viewing - George
Ralph Potts likes this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Best Buy opens in another hour. I'll be in line to purchase.

Started re-watching the series from Season 1, Ep 1 in November. Finished Monday night, picking up Season 8 today. Can't wait.

Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #5 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Is this a typo or is there a new version that I did not know about?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I loved this whole series. I dont get the extreme hate for the way it ended. It's not your story to tell...the authors are welcome to tell their story as they please.

Anyway, it there any chance of being able to actually see anything in the 3rd episode? The broadcast was horrible on HBO
Ralph Potts, tjenkins95 and SinGA like this.
post #7 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Is this a typo or is there a new version that I did not know about?

Greetings,

Typo..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan69666 View Post
I loved this whole series. I dont get the extreme hate for the way it ended. It's not your story to tell...the authors are welcome to tell their story as they please.

Anyway, it there any chance of being able to actually see anything in the 3rd episode? The broadcast was horrible on HBO

Greetings,

Those issues with crush aren't a problem on the UHD or Blu-ray versions.

Regards,
mik2h, VooBass, twan69666 and 4 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Thanks Ralph for the review, was waiting to see what you had to say regarding this one. When watching the 8th season live through our provider (Bell in Canada for us), the night scenes were practically unwatchable. I know both my wife and I were terribly disappointed with the quality of the video. Really looking forward to watching the UHD version along with the Atmos soundtrack, I have a feeling the experience will be night and day (literally and figuratively).

For any Canadians on here, Walmart has the UHD version for 59.98

Sony XBR75x940D, Denon X4400H, Monolith 5X, PSA S3000i, Axiom M100s, VP180, QS8s, Klipsh R12SW, Polk MC60s, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro
post #10 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
I loved this whole series. I dont get the extreme hate for the way it ended.
Same. It was with the 7th season that I started to really taper my expectations. You could tell the writing was getting really rushed, so I felt in terms of "quality" the 8th season was on par with the 7th. As far as Daenerys, if you can't accept that she had poor motivations from the get-go (at least in terms of conquering Westeros), or that she was essentially an evil character (in at least some ways), well that inability to change your perspective based on new evidence, or maybe "blind loyalty", is how we get Nazis. That element is one (of the few) that I think was rather brilliant about the ending to the show (I also loooved Bran's development). It ended up being a lot like the (massively underrated) Starship Troopers, where, if you can't accept that the "heroes" (as portrayed by the film's POV) are the actual bad guys, YOU'RE A NAZI. (this is hyperbole, no need to feel like this is a personal attack on anyone.)
twan69666 and mik2h like this.
post #11 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Quote:
When the final credits rolled, I was not only disappointed but, was a little angry, felling as through my investment in the Game of Thrones was not at all brought to a satisfactory conclusion. From what I gather, I wasn’t the only fan that felt this way.
So was I Ralph...extremely disappointed and angry. My copy arrives tomorrow from HBO (there was a clerical screw-up on their end), but I will rewatch it and see if I enjoy it more the second time through (I have my doubts).

I thought the first two episodes were good, not great, but things went quickly downhill from there and left a sour taste in my mouth. I was talking to an owner of a collectible shop (something akin to Think Geek) and he said the GOT merchandise lost a lot of value after Season 8 and people aren't inquiring about memorabilia at nearly the pace or enthusiasm as before Season 8.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #12 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
Ralph is rockin' it again with a great review! I did order the standard BD set though since the 1-7 I have are just standard BD as well and I didn't want to have an oddball, I'm weird that way. You do us a great service here Ralph, thank you!
dnoonie, Ralph Potts and darthray like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #13 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well the compression on Xfinity Comcast cable has gotten so bad, HBO especially. It looks like 480p at best, too compressed all kinds of artifacts. Trying to watch that Golden compass series is a nightmare looking forward to getting some of these shows on UHD and giving up on cable. Paying extra for HBO and garbage compression is total slap in the face.
darthray likes this.
post #14 of 40 Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Ralph is rockin' it again with a great review! I did order the standard BD set though since the 1-7 I have are just standard BD as well and I didn't want to have an oddball, I'm weird that way. You do us a great service here Ralph, thank you! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
You can get the first season and UHD as well.
post #15 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2259 Post(s)
Liked: 3535
Thanks for the review Ralph. I'll pick this up after the holidays when money won't be flying out the door.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #16 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkoSoze View Post
Thanks for the review. Season 8 is destined to be a let down no matter what. The build up of the conflicts are always more interesting than their resolution. My problem with the Night King is that it took 7 season to build up the fight in Ep3. The showrunner simply made the Army of The Dead too strong, too incredulous and too numerous to any human armies. As if that wasn't enough already, they even gave the Night King a dragon at his disposal. That led to the resolution of the battle very unsatisfactory to me.
You're 100% right... but they could have easily come up with something a little less dissatisfying. Instead of the sudden ending, why not let more of the main characters play a role in making it happen.

Personally I was hoping for the Dead to win, with a handful of the living retreating, but with some kind of plan to take out the NK somehow later in the season.

Quote:
Of course fans weren't owed any particular kind of ending, and I would have no objection for any kind of outcome they want to create (including the outcome they went with). But after years of buildup, the final part of the story to reach that outcome needs to make sense, instead of having characters make choices that are out of character or have no explanation, just because the story needs to head that way for the ending.

As for the complaints about it being too dark... it looked fine to me, and it was supposed to be dark and not have everything visible to the viewer. Maybe it would have been nice to see a little more, but I didn't mind the artistic choice to keep visibility low.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I thought the first two episodes were good
I loved them, especially the second one, it set the tone perfectly for the upcoming battle.

Quote:
I was talking to an owner of a collectible shop (something akin to Think Geek) and he said the GOT merchandise lost a lot of value after Season 8 and people aren't inquiring about memorabilia at nearly the pace or enthusiasm as before Season 8.
That's interesting... I'm not surprised. In other forums I've seen people who were addicted to this show talk about always going back to rewatch episodes, to find things they missed or enjoy cool moments again, or having it on in the background while they're doing other things. Some have said they haven't ever touched the show again since the ending and don't know if they will again. I mostly agree... but I have seasons 1-7, so I'll probably complete my set.

Anyway, thanks to Ralph for the review. It's good to see that the 4K Blu-rays are high quality. Even when the quality of the writing went downhill, the acting/costumes/scenery/special effects and especially the music were all amazingly good all the way through season 8, and it sounds like these discs were produced with the same care.
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho Cobo View Post
Of course fans weren't owed any particular kind of ending, and I would have no objection for any kind of outcome they want to create (including the outcome they went with). But after years of buildup, the final part of the story to reach that outcome needs to make sense, instead of having characters make choices that are out of character or have no explanation, just because the story needs to head that way for the ending.
Of course fans are owed. Not legally, though I'm sure some might favor justice through the courts.

Rather, I would submit this is a moral and ethical obligation. Fans are owed some due diligence and care in the final act to reward loyal viewers with a conclusion that feels satisfying, enriching, and justifies the steadfast support and many hours invested over years, to make this show what it became -- a success.

Betrayal of this solemn duty is perhaps exponentially worse than refusing to pay off money loaned from a friend, simply because the scale of the breach is so much greater in scope (---well, depending upon the amount of money loaned, I suppose...)
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Last edited by Emaych; 12-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is what some guy wore to Comic Con in San Diego this year. I thought it summed it up pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23552.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2649188  

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #19 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho Cobo View Post
That's interesting... I'm not surprised. In other forums I've seen people who were addicted to this show talk about always going back to rewatch episodes, to find things they missed or enjoy cool moments again, or having it on in the background while they're doing other things.
I've tried to rewatch S1 with ATMOS a while back but I couldn't continue. The show is exciting and intriguing but there's no joy nor love. It's 8 season long of scheming, backstabbing, betryal just to list a few. Viewers are hooked to find out what is going on but once they've learned about the outcome, IMHO, the rewatch value is not there anymore. For example, why would anyone want to subject themselves to re-watching again Ned Stark being beheaded at the end of S1?

Last edited by GekkoSoze; 12-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #20 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
This is what some guy wore to Comic Con in San Diego this year. I thought it summed it up pretty well.

Greetings,

That's pretty funny Dave!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 235
My big takeaway from season 8: I wonder how the thrones nerds who named their daughters after a dragon lady who mass murdered women and children with fire feel about that now?

I guess sort of the same as the laser sword nerds who named their sons after an unstable bipolar teenager who murdered younglings because he wanted an evil old white wizard to save his booty call.

As such, I’ve decided to name my kids after the Night King.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #22 of 40 Old 12-04-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 484
A couple years ago I had a dagger made which represents Game of Thrones in my man's cave.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191122_1548010012.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2649438   Click image for larger version

Name:	61-draco-dagger-daggers-featured-1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	2649440  
Ralph Potts, darthray and Emaych like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans

Last edited by JimShaw; 12-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #23 of 40 Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here is a copy of the comments I made this past Saturday on the LG C8 forum. I too have the Steelbook edition.....

.....Just watched The first 3 episodes of GOT season 8 on UHD Blu-ray 4K with DV. What a tour-de-force for this TV and OLED in general. Finally, one is able to see the excellent night scenes with subtle shadow detail. The 3rd episode ‘The Long Night’ was just stunning, especially the shots showing the battlefield just before the attack started. Definitely great demo material. Turned the back light off in a darkened room and was able to see all the fine near black detail. If you are on the fence about getting this season on disc, don’t hesitate, buy it!
Ralph Potts, VooBass and MBullen like this.

LG 55”C8 OLED Oppo BDP-103 Sony X800m2
Denon X3300W 5.2.2 PSB/M&K speakers
Samsung 55HU8550/SEK-3500U
Sonos 5.1 Playbase/sub/surrounds
CalMAN Home Enthusiast/i1display pro oem/i1 pro 2/Videoforge HDMI-2 TPG
post #24 of 40 Old 12-05-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:

As did this woman's Halloween costume:

https://imgur.com/a/3nyz7ce
thehun and Dave Vaughn like this.

Denon X-4300 | Onkyo M-282 | Audio Technica AT-LP3 | HTPC |
Polk RTiA3 x 6 - RTiA6 x 1 - Polk Atrium 5 x 4 | PSA 15s | PSA XS30
Epson HC 2100 | 100" Elite Screen |
post #25 of 40 Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
You can get the first season and UHD as well.

Yeah, I know, but I started collecting before the UHD versions were available, and I just didn't want the one oddball UHD season....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #26 of 40 Old 12-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Poor SJW’s didn’t get the ending they wanted. Awwe
post #27 of 40 Old 12-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Although I will always watch the 4k Dolby Vision, yet, it does not include the IN-EPISODE GUIDE on the 4K Discs...on the BD discs yes. Bit I sold the BD DIscs to help pay for the $50 4k Steelbook version...DISAPPOINTING
post #28 of 40 Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post
This is so much more complex than what you are making it to be that I wouldn't know where to start. Do tell, though, what "social justice" has to do with fans lamenting a final season below expectations.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #29 of 40 Old 12-06-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post
I'm no SJW by any means. The final two seasons of the show were poorly implemented from a writing standpoint and it was rushed with little care or thought to the fans.
jherring69 and thehun like this.

post #30 of 40 Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm no SJW by any means. The final two seasons of the show were poorly implemented from a writing standpoint and it was rushed with little care or thought to the fans.
The ending was rushed in a sense that the writers tie everything up too nicely. The gathering of almost all characters with just semblance of importance in the North at the beginning of S8 is just too contrived and convenient. In the ensuing 4 episodes (Ep 3 to Ep 6), the writers dealt these characters their faith after trotting most of them alone for long 7 seasons.

The biggest downfall is the writers left no tales to tell anymore or so it seems at the end when the show started with many old tales and folklore. As such I felt there'll be no stories to tell in Westeros anymore since everyone is destine to go on and live their merry lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page