IT Chapter Two Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
  • 5 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Emaych
  • 3 Post By Mattopotamus
  • 2 Post By Steve544
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 2 Post By thehun
  • 3 Post By Toe
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By Jesuscookies
  • 2 Post By Franin
  • 2 Post By Jive Turkey
  • 2 Post By ramon banaag
  • 4 Post By Dave Vaughn
  • 3 Post By Franin
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By thx_mom
  • 4 Post By Franin
  • 2 Post By Jive Turkey
  • 1 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By Jive Turkey
  • 1 Post By Jive Turkey
  • 2 Post By Toe
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 2 Post By GPBURNS

post #1 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 6385
IT Chapter Two Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Defeated by members of the Losers' Club, the evil clown Pennywise returns 27 years later to terrorize the town of Derry, Maine, once again. Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of IT Chapter Two from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 169 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, Jay Ryan, Jams Ransone, Andy Bean, Jaeden Martell, Bill Skarsgard, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Chosen Jacobs, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff,
Directed by: Andy Muschietti
Music by: Benjamin Wallfisch
Written by: Gary Dauberman
Region Code: A

Release Date: December 10. 2019

"Losers Stick Together"

Synopsis:

“Defeated by members of the Losers' Club, the evil clown Pennywise returns 27 years later to terrorize the town of Derry, Maine, once again.” – Warner Brothers Home Entertainment

My Take:

Twenty-seven years after the Losers Club defeated Pennywise (Bill Skarsgård), he has returned to terrorize the town of Derry once more. Now adults, the Losers have long since gone their separate ways. However, people are disappearing again, so Mike (Isaiah Mustafa), the only one of them to remain in their hometown, calls the others home. Damaged by the experiences of their past, they must each conquer their deepest fears to destroy Pennywise once and for all...putting them directly in the path of the shape-shifting clown that has become deadlier than ever.

I read Stephen King’s novel about twenty years ago now. I can still feel the rippling effect its creepy story had on me at the time. The 1990 TV miniseries based on the book, which starred Tim Curry in the pivotal role of “Pennywise” simply didn’t cut it, proving to lack the palpable elements of horror conveyed by King’s words brought to life within one’s imagination as you read. Fast forward to 2017 and the release of IT’s big screen adaptation. My impression walking away from the film was very positive. I thought that it brought the characters to life extremely well, including Pennywise, played to sheer perfection by Bill Skarsgard. I liked the idea of bringing the time period forward, starting in the mid 1980’s, which will provide a contemporary foothold for the next film’s jump to the next 27 years.

As with its predecessor I took in IT Chapter Two at the theater. Much like the first film I enjoyed its faithful essence, finding its shifting narrative to capture the story’s various elements, character building and incorporation of the details that seemed thematically pertinent. Given the length of the book, there needed to be some trimming, especially when it came to the portrayal of the separate lives of the Losers Club as adults. I was okay with that. The script is far from perfect, featuring a sometime scattershot series of events that are stitched together rather than flowing together. Much like the first film what makes the film tick are the performances by the cast and how well they slip into the skin of these characters. Bill Hader’s turn as Richie is simply fantastic.

As with IT I felt that the film felt more like a thriller with elements of horror, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but there were few times where it was frightening enough to be hair raising. Some of this may have been owed to my being familiar with the story etc. A second viewing didn’t change my initial reaction to IT Chapter Two. I enjoyed it, finding it to be a fair adaptation that didn’t have quite the same depth of the first installment but, had no trouble keeping me entertained throughout.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence/horror, bloody images, some crude sexual material, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 94

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

IT Chapter Two comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray, IT Chapter Two was rendered from a 2.8K/3.4K sources and finished on a 2K Digital Intermediate.

From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in the presentation, which bests the 1080p version, which is no slouch. As with the first film I wouldn’t describe this film as overtly colorful, however, there are elements, such as the wide-angle shots of Derry’s streets, the Chinese Restaurant, the hotel lobby, the forest and the carnival, where the palate of autumn based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing slightly warmer and pleasing to the eye. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper resolvable texture on interior surfaces, clothing, and physical features.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, such as Bill’s trippy experience after being given the hallucinogenic herb drink, or the deadly encounters Pennywise in the funhouse and later in the lair beneath the house on Nieboldt, in the film’s finale. IT Chapter Two contains a host of sun splashed, daytime segments, which appeared more vibrant and tonally gradational compared to the Blu-ray. Low level sequences, such as the one where the Losers Club stand outside of the house on Neiboldt Street and, what follows through to their final encounter with Pennywise had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast.

Based upon the excellent quality of the original source the difference between viewing IT Chapter Two in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day, but there is no question that its UHD presentation benefitted from the increase in resolution, and high dynamic range treatment. This is solid rendering that complimented the source material and essentially mimicked the theatrical presentation.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for IT Chapter Two, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference. Both looked terrific, leaving me similarly satisfied with what I saw.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I couldn’t help but think of how much I enjoyed the Atmos mix on IT. From the film’s beginning through until the meeting at the Chinese restaurant there is minimal real use of overhead sounds, which was concerning. Once the Losers Club begin to encounter the evil, first separately, then together, the track comes to life. I was very pleased with the mix in general. The use of overhead sound objects elevates proportional correlation, adding a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low-level detail and seemingly offering broader dynamic range.

The film is loaded with atmospherics, off screen cues and discrete sound effects that when applied using the freedom of object-based placement adds an enriching layer to the soundtrack. I also felt that the Atmos mix, compared to the 7.1 channel track, added a layer to low frequency effects providing improved depth that sounded terrific. All in all, this one delivers a solid home theater experience, exactly of the type you’d expect.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

IT Chapter Two comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. IT Chapter Two looks great on Blu-ray.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD (Atmos core) mix is excellent. This is a dynamically gratifying surround mix that features high level detail, superlative clarity, and rich, room filling surround sound. This is sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Spot on imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. This is not an ostentatious audio presentation but, it produces smooth, palpably rich low frequencies that energize the room. Dialog is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. End to end this is an attention-grabbing home theater presentation that plays perfectly to this film’s thematic tone.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: IT Chapter Two Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: IT Chapter Two Blu-ray
    • Pennywise Lives Again!
    • This Meeting of the Losers Club Has Officially Begun
    • Finding the Deadlights
    • The Summers of IT: Chapter One, You’ll Float Too
    • The Summers of IT: Chapter Two, IT Ends
    • Commentary with Director Andy Muschietti
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Adapted from Stephen King’s horror classic, IT Chapter Two is an engaging sequel that successfully brings the novel’s elements to life. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers sparkling image quality, while invigorating the listening experience with a rousing Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix. Also included is a fair assortment of extras that are worth exploring. IT Chapter Two is an entertaining horror/thriller that closes out the story of Pennywise the clown and the Losers Club of Derry Maine. If you’re a fan it makes for a terrific, and highly recommended purchase on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Same, it was ok but not as good as the first. 20 minutes too long for me.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 306
"Pennywise, played to sheer perfection by Bill Skarsgard."

True that! Just watched the first in UHD -- picked it up over the Black Friday UHD sales bonanza, along with many others. My original viewing was when it was first released, and even though one may not be prone to assess acting skill from a role like this, Skarsgard was utter perfection. -- wholly agree!

Just as with Bryan Cranston, who I'd first seen in MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, really really stood out as someone of exceptional ability, even in that somewhat frivolous turn, meaning I suppose, filled with comedic antics and manner.

Here Skarsgard is operating at the fringe of conventional credibility, but truly imbued with maniacal, malignant menace. Also bought THE SHINING UHD and rewatched it again yesterday. Got to say I think Jack Nicholson's portrayal did not feel completely genuine to me. A bit broadened to the point of caricature, thus less convincing. And even though Pennywise goes through full-on histrionics and extreme manner -- one scarcely thinks to call it comportment, he hits a very persuasive mark.

A remarkable talent, to be sure.
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2119 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
I liked this just as much if not more than the first. It felt very true to the books, very dark. I watched the digital a few weeks ago and was blown away by the quality. About half way through my wife goes, "wait, this is a stream"?!
post #5 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Another in a very long line of superbly thorough reviews. Like you, Ralph, I remember reading the novel so long ago and loving it all....except the ending which seemed like a cop out of sorts. A big spider? Oh come now. I do wish there was some kind of backstory to Pennywise who is really that spider.
I personally enjoyed the made for TV version with Tim Curry who I thought did an excellent job...all good except that ending again with the silly spider.
I haven't seen IT 2 yet but it is certainly on my list to get for Xmas. When I get it, I will be sure to watch IT 1 again before putting on 2.

Thanks again for the great review.
Steve
Ralph Potts and mik2h like this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #6 of 29 Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 3642
Thanks for the review Ralph. I actually like this more than part one. Oh course if one is so dedicated watch both parts at one sitting, you are allowed an intermission after part one, but remind your guests after 20 min everybody must be back in their seats.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
I had a real hard time watching this, I was rooting for the clown, yes really. I was ok with the first one because they were just kids, but man some of them grown up to be some real "losers". Ben, Bev, and Mike were ok though. The horror stuff was more puke inducing than scary. Sound was good though but won't earn a repeat viewing still. YMMV.
GPBURNS and Dave Vaughn like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #8 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 06:00 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
Great review Ralph, thanks! This will be a very safe blind buy for me considering how much I really enjoyed the first film all around (movie, audio and video) and have watched 3 or 4 times so far. Looking forward to a double feature when I get part 2!
post #9 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Great review Ralph, thanks! This will be a very safe blind buy for me considering how much I really enjoyed the first film all around (movie, audio and video) and have watched 3 or 4 times so far. Looking forward to a double feature when I get part 2!
Greetings,

You're welcome Todd. Hope you enjoy it!

Regards,
tenthplanet and Toe like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #10 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks for the review Ralph! This is on my list :-)
post #11 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Thanks Ralph will definitely picking this up, I haven’t seen it yet but my daughter has and she thought it was great.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #12 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Nice review Ralph! I saw Part 2 at the theater and was happy to not have been disappointed after liking Part 1 so much (and having read the book so long ago). Bill Hader was the standout character portrayal to me.

I can't wait to pay full price on Tuesday for the UHD disc.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #13 of 29 Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great review, on list to acclimiate fiancee to suspense/horror
post #14 of 29 Old 12-08-2019, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Great review Ralph. Got to watch it tonight all alone since my wife is out of town. That means I got to listen at a higher than usual volume because "she who must not be crossed" wasn't complaining about the volume I really loved the bass response and the active use of the soundstage. Definitely an audio demo and the video looks outstanding as well. As others have said, it's a bit too long at nearly 3 hours...I think a few subplots could have been cut and some scenes condensed and still had the same emotional impact. This is generally not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed both chapters of this film.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #15 of 29 Old 12-08-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Great review Ralph. Got to watch it tonight all alone since my wife is out of town. That means I got to listen at a higher than usual volume because "she who must not be crossed" wasn't complaining about the volume I really loved the bass response and the active use of the soundstage. Definitely an audio demo and the video looks outstanding as well. As others have said, it's a bit too long at nearly 3 hours...I think a few subplots could have been cut and some scenes condensed and still had the same emotional impact. This is generally not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed both chapters of this film.

Just Finished Chapter 1 cant wait to watch Chapter 2

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #16 of 29 Old 12-08-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Greetings,

"She who must not be crossed" . I hear ya buddy. Glad you were able to give this one a spin unabated . Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Dave!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn and tenthplanet like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 29 Old 12-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the review. Just bought! I’ll have to watch it alone since the fiancée hates scary movies, I don’t hate them but also get scared lol.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 29 Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Waiting for the inevitable extended cuts. I just don't know if they'll make it to physical media or not.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #19 of 29 Old 12-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Watched Chapter 2 the other night, fantastic !! Really enjoyed it. A number of jump moments there for me. I found it more gruesome than the first. Pq and AQ top notch

God Bless!
post #20 of 29 Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Enjoyed it very much at home, having seen it at the Theater. Great sound and picture on the 4K UHD. I suspect Steve King liked where 1 went and 2 was slated to go production wise, or he wouldn't have cameoed. These two films had a nice mix of scares and dry humor to them (thank you Bill Hader) to make them accessible to many.

Two twisted, decomposed thumbs up from me!
Ralph Potts and Dave Vaughn like this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 12-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #21 of 29 Old 12-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Enjoyed it very much at home, having seen it at the Theater. Great sound and picture on the 4K UHD. I suspect Steve King liked where 1 went and 2 was slated to go production wise, or he wouldn't have cameoed. These two films had a nice mix of scares and dry humor to them (thank you Bill Hader) to make them accessible to many.

Two twisted, decomposed thumbs up from me!
Just arrived... and didn't catch it in theaters.

I heard a lot of people say it was too long. Still not enough to warrant passing on adding it to the collection. Will watch in the coming days.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #22 of 29 Old 12-18-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Just arrived... and didn't catch it in theaters.

I heard a lot of people say it was too long. Still not enough to warrant passing on adding it to the collection. Will watch in the coming days.

Thanks for the review Ralph!

Yes, it's long. Seems a lot of folks think they shouldn't had spent time with the characters on their individual journeys, but they all did have to collect their memory artifacts for......oops, almost went too far without a spoiler tag.
TravisPNW likes this.

See ya. Dave

post #23 of 29 Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My neighbor, whose wall is 10' of airspace away from mine, said she could hear and feel the bass from this one. I told her good thing I don't play this stuff at 11:00 at night, eh?
Ralph Potts likes this.

See ya. Dave

post #24 of 29 Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Yes, it's long. Seems a lot of folks think they shouldn't had spent time with the characters on their individual journeys, but they all did have to collect their memory artifacts for......oops, almost went too far without a spoiler tag.
I didn't think it was too long (I could've watched a whole 'nother hour myself), but for cinematic's sake I do think it was "time wasted."

Spoiler!

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #25 of 29 Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
Did a double feature with this movie and the first IT a few nights ago and it was awesome! I thought the sequel was on par with the first and happy to have both in my collection.

PQ on the 4k disc was incredible! All those carnival shots at night were jaw dropping I thought.

Audio was excellent besides the dialogue level which was noticeably lower and a bit buried in the mix vs part 1. I watched right at reference so the track was more than loud enough otherwise. Still a great track overall though.
GPBURNS and Ralph Potts like this.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-03-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Did a double feature with this movie and the first IT a few nights ago and it was awesome! I thought the sequel was on par with the first and happy to have both in my collection.

PQ on the 4k disc was incredible! All those carnival shots at night were jaw dropping I thought.

Audio was excellent besides the dialogue level which was noticeably lower and a bit buried in the mix vs part 1. I watched right at reference so the track was more than loud enough otherwise. Still a great track overall though.
Greetings,

Sounds like pure gravy Todd! Glad to hear you enjoyed it...

Happy New Year!

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #27 of 29 Old 01-04-2020, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The bonus features disc on Chapter 2 are definitely worth the time.

See ya. Dave

post #28 of 29 Old 01-07-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Fun disc - Really nice audio/video - soundtrack really picked up last 1/2 of film -
those jump moments are great when rocking the volume -
Toe and Ralph Potts like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #29 of 29 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 781
We finally got around to watching this tonight and while I liked it, I didn’t feel that it captured the same sense of horror the first film achieved. My wife, who doesn’t care for horror films at all, remarked that it wasn’t scary at all when the credits rolled. Sure there were some intense scenes, but I just didn’t find it all that scary. Maybe I should do a double feature and watch the films as they were meant to be, together. The film put together a perfect cast and you could really feel they bond they had with each other and the fear they held for Pennywise.

As for the picture quality, wow, just wow! I loved every aspect of the cinematography with each detail being rendered with perfect clarity, regardless of the lighting conditions. The audio end was just as impressive with effects that filled the entire soundstage. This is the epitome of an object based audio mix with sound coming from everywhere in the room. The LFE is particularly hefty in the mid-range packing a powerful punch and filling the room with bass. Things could have been a little bit better at the lowest hz, but this is just a minor quibble.

Overall, this was a good watch that I would recommend. I’m sure as time goes by I will come to like this film more, but this is my initial impression.

Great review again, Ralph! I really appreciate the detail you put into each category.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page