Gemini Man Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 302Likes

post #211 of 227 Old 04-01-2020, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post
ok thanks for letting me know. but in general do you think if I rip my 4k blue ray movies to .mkv and store then on a PC and watch them using plex could contain a bit of harshness in some areas as a result of ripping process?
No, with digital ripping there is no generational loss or any degradation there can be only errors which manifest itself rather crudely, like pops.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 04-01-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I rented the blu ray because it is an Ang Lee movie and I liked it enough to buy the 4K UHD. Ang Lee experiments with movie making technology and I think the 4K UHD version is significantly better than the blu ray version and is well worth the $20 I payed. I sent the movie on to to the Yamaha AVR and got Dolby Vision. I like the sharp focus now possible with digital recording rather than using film. I thought the fast paced motor cycle scenes were particularly immersive. Also the rapid movement of the actors in action scenes enhanced the science fiction intent. The shallow depth of field which blurred the background produced a 3D effect that I liked.

I do agree that it is not the most convincing science fiction movie and the story line seemed predictable. The movie is not up to the standards of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or the Life of Pi.

But my opinion was that that Gemini Man in 4K UHD deserved better reviews than it got.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 100Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 05-13-2020 at 11:47 AM.
post #213 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I rented the blu ray because it is an Ang Lee movie and I liked it enough to buy the 4K UHD. Ang Lee experiments with movie making technology and I think the 4K UHD version is significantly better than the blu ray version and is well worth the $20 I payed. I sent the movie on to to the Yamaha AVR and got Dolby Vision. I like the sharp focus now possible with digital recording rather than using film. I thought the fast paced motor cycle scenes were particularly immersive. Also the rapid movement of the actors in action scenes enhanced the science fiction intent. The shallow depth of field which blurred the background produced a 3D effect that I liked.

I do agree that it is not the most convincing science fiction movie and the story line seemed predictable. The movie is not up to the standards of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or the Life of Pi.

But my opinion was that that Gemini Man in 4K UHD deserved better reviews than it got.
Postmoderndesigns, what center channel speaker do you have?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.coolfacemasks.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Postmoderndesigns, what center channel speaker do you have?
The center channel speaker is a mid level Klipsch center channel speaker. It is located on a shelf over the oled. I have had it for years. I doubt it was called "reference" but I have always been able to understand dialogue.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 100Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #215 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The center channel speaker is a mid level Klipsch center channel speaker. It is located on a shelf over the oled. I have had it for years. I doubt it was called "reference" but I have always been able to understand dialogue.
I have the 405, the one with the 4 drivers and horn. can you do me a huge favour, I've been trying to get the Gemini Man disc from the library but they are closed for the pandemic. I have the .mkv version of the movie and when CGI Will shoots real Will with the bee venom, he collapses and the Asian guy tell him to breath. Can you go to that scene, put it sort of loud like -20db or louder and listen to that part, specifically when he says "come on!" Listen careful to that word and let me know if you hear a very slight staticy or distortion like sound. I hear it and I'm trying to figure out the movie is just like that or if Klipsch highs are hard rather than soft allowing me to hear this sound. listen very carefully cause if you're not expecting it, you won't notice it. I hear this sound in other movies and its always when someone is talking.

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.coolfacemasks.ca
post #216 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the 405, the one with the 4 drivers and horn. can you do me a huge favour, I've been trying to get the Gemini Man disc from the library but they are closed for the pandemic. I have the .mkv version of the movie and when CGI Will shoots real Will with the bee venom, he collapses and the Asian guy tell him to breath. Can you go to that scene, put it sort of loud like -20db or louder and listen to that part, specifically when he says "come on!" Listen careful to that word and let me know if you hear a very slight staticy or distortion like sound. I hear it and I'm trying to figure out the movie is just like that or if Klipsch highs are hard rather than soft allowing me to hear this sound. listen very carefully cause if you're not expecting it, you won't notice it. I hear this sound in other movies and its always when someone is talking.
I did not hear the staticy distorted sound somewhere between 1:20-1:24 minutes into the film at the end of chapter 13 or 19. But, I would need you in the room affirming I was in the right place in the scene.

post #217 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did not hear the staticy distorted sound somewhere between 1:20-1:24 minutes into the film at the end of chapter 13 or 19. But, I would need you in the room affirming I was in the right place in the scene.
What's your address? as soon as I can get a hold of a disc, i'll play it and see if I can hear it on the disc. thanks for checking.

Www.coolfacemasks.ca
post #218 of 227 Old 05-13-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's your address? as soon as I can get a hold of a disc, i'll play it and see if I can hear it on the disc. thanks for checking.
I have added you as a friend so you should be able to private message me. I have not used this feature for a long time so give it a try and we will see if it works.

post #219 of 227 Old 06-08-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Finally got the chance to watch the entire thing not just a few scenes. For a two hour movie there are not enough action scenes that show off what high frame rate can do, especially in the first and second act.

It's obvious this movie was written in the 90's.

The CGI'd Will Smith is not bad.

I still want a HFR TV show with lots of action that is the primary advantage of HFR video. The less dialog the better. Explosions, fast moving objects, etc. Maybe a HFR version of Generation Kill, Fast & Furious, sci fi with space ships, etc.
Or martial arts. The "boxing" scene in the catacombs looks very nice IMO. Interpolation can't match real frames.

Most TVs can do 60Hz so it should not be an issue.
Tom Riddle likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 06-08-2020 at 06:16 PM.
post #220 of 227 Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Finally got the chance to watch the entire thing not just a few scenes. For a two hour movie there are not enough action scenes that show off what high frame rate can do, especially in the first and second act.

It's obvious this movie was written in the 90's.

The CGI'd Will Smith is not bad.

I still want a HFR TV show with lots of action that is the primary advantage of HFR video. The less dialog the better. Explosions, fast moving objects, etc. Maybe a HFR version of Generation Kill, Fast & Furious, sci fi with space ships, etc.
Or martial arts. The "boxing" scene in the catacombs looks very nice IMO. Interpolation can't match real frames.

Most TVs can do 60Hz so it should not be an issue.
I’m 100% with you on the action scenes! Give me an action film with hardly any dialog and nonstop action! That may allow me to not be distracted by the HFR.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.2.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I & TV3612 Subwoofers
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #221 of 227 Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2620 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Personally, I felt the slower scenes looked bad in HFR and the action scenes looked even worse

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #222 of 227 Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I’m 100% with you on the action scenes! Give me an action film with hardly any dialog and nonstop action! That may allow me to not be distracted by the HFR.
Don't know if you saw it, but Midway was very action packed, with little talk, unlike Pearl Harbor (2001) which was not a bad movie, but still.

Airplanes, explosions, and bullets would look great in HFR. The minigun scene was awesome.

post #223 of 227 Old 06-08-2020, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Don't know if you saw it, but Midway was very action packed, with little talk, unlike Pearl Harbor (2001) which was not a bad movie, but still.

Airplanes, explosions, and bullets would look great in HFR. The minigun scene was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubbffFfsScA
I’ve got the UHD of Midway, but haven’t watched it yet. I need to since I heard it has great bass and I just added a second PSA sub - a TV3612 to go with my V3600I.

My wife and I watched Pearl Harbor Memorial Day weekend. It’s truly a good movie, but I wish that had focused more on the historical facts and less on the love triangle. It made me wonder what ever happened to Josh Hartnett. I really liked him in The Faculty, but don’t really remember many good ones besides that and Pearl Harbor.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I & TV3612 Subwoofers
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #224 of 227 Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
Finally watched this one last week via 4K HDR Amazon stream with rental credits accrued.

I enjoyed it as a scifi-action flick. The action was well choreographed with an Asian martial arts style I liked. Yes, there could have been better pacing.

Recognize that both Ang Lee and Will Smith are controversial love 'em/hate 'em film personalities- whether due to personal business issues and/or artistic styles.

I see what Ang tried to do re: put the clone issue in the Real World, and I felt the emotional and physical issues were handled realistically- how would you fare against your ~30 year younger self in a battle of wits, physical ability? I took it as a cool geek thought experiment. Younger version more agile/flexible, but older version heavier/weight advantage in close fighting, experience, wisdom, less reactive.

Whatever your opinion of Smith, he does emote well with down to earth reactions, and is in great physical shape. Didn't think I'd try another film of his following After Earth, but gave this one a try.
The de-aged version looked spot on and real most of the time for me, only a few moments where the uncanny valley reared its head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Don't know if they de-aged him directly or put his de-aged face on another stand in actor, but generally done well.

Image looked great on my NX7. I'd pick up the 4K disc on sale/bargain bin at my sight-unseen price of ~$5/disc (or ~$10 for a standard 2 disc 2K/4K set), of course even better for less.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #225 of 227 Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 4684
Quote:
I’ve got the UHD of Midway, but haven’t watched it yet. I need to since I heard it has great bass and I just added a second PSA sub - a TV3612 to go with my V3600I.

My wife and I watched Pearl Harbor Memorial Day weekend. It’s truly a good movie, but I wish that had focused more on the historical facts and less on the love triangle. It made me wonder what ever happened to Josh Hartnett. I really liked him in The Faculty, but don’t really remember many good ones besides that and Pearl Harbor.
Still going strong. Currently has four projects completed and/or in post-production. His contributions to Black Hawk Down (2001) and Sin City(2005) do it for me.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #226 of 227 Old 06-29-2020, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Still going strong. Currently has four projects completed and/or in post-production. His contributions to Black Hawk Down (2001) and Sin City(2005) do it for me.
Yeah, he was great in both of those, but completely underutilized in Sin City. One of the best opening scenes in the history of cinema and then no more of his character.
Panson likes this.

post #227 of 227 Old 07-03-2020, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Yeah, he was great in both of those, but completely underutilized in Sin City. One of the best opening scenes in the history of cinema and then no more of his character.
He was great in Penny Dreadful as well as Mel Gibson's Payback.
Tom Riddle likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page