Terminator: Dark Fate Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 6388
Terminator: Dark Fate Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

An augmented human and Sarah Connor, along with the help of a familiar and, unlikely ally, must stop an advanced liquid Terminator, from hunting down a young girl, whose fate is critical to the human race. Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Terminator: Dark Fate from Paramount Home Media Distribution.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna, Diego Boneta
Directed by: Tim Miller
Music by: Tom Holkenborg
Written by: David Goyer, Justin Rhodes, Billy Ray
Region Code: A

Release Date: January 21, 2020

"Welcome to the Day After Judgment Day"

Synopsis:

“An augmented human and Sarah Connor, along with the help of a familiar and, unlikely ally, must stop an advanced liquid Terminator, from hunting down a young girl, whose fate is critical to the human race.” – Paramount Home Media Distribution

My Take:

More than two decades have passed since Sarah Connor prevented Judgment Day, changed the future, and re-wrote the fate of the human race. Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes) is living a simple life in Mexico City with her brother and father when a highly advanced and deadly new Terminator travels back through time to hunt and kill her. Dani's survival depends on her joining forces with “Grace” (Mackenzie Davis), an enhanced super-soldier sent back in time, and a battle-hardened Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton). As the Terminator (a model Rev-9) ruthlessly destroys everything and everyone in its path on the hunt for Dani, the three are led to an aging T-800 Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) from Sarah's past that may be their last best hope.

Okay, I completely understand WHY devout Terminator franchise fans would question the decisions behind making Terminator: Dark Fate. The question isn’t why make another Terminator movie, the question is why make a film that is essentially nothing but Terminator and T2 rolled up into one film? The answer is, I couldn’t tell you. Now, as a franchise fan, my curiosity was piqued when I saw that Linda Hamilton was back. Arnold had to be a given so, no surprise there, which is fine with me. Given the other films that I have seen her in, I wouldn’t have imagined Mackenzie Davis in an action role of this caliber.

When Terminator: Dark Fate opened in theaters I was there to see what the story had to offer. I even got my wife to tag along. Seeing what transpired in Terminator Genesys which seemed clearly aimed at telling a Terminator story with an alternate vibe, this one, which sort of kind of tried to change an element here and there, boiled down to nothing more than a rehashing of the foundational plot points in the first two films. The presence of Sarah Connor, her tweaked timeline, how Arnold’s character is worked into the narrative and, their shared history both compliments and, detracts from the present situation. By that I mean there is just a hint too much sentimentality that is occasionally interjected.

Based upon how the concept is handled you could certainly look at Terminator: Dark Fate as an homage to Terminator and T2. If looked at in that light, there is something to be said for the things previously mentioned. If looked at as a straight up sci-fi actioner based solely upon Terminator lore then the film stands on two very weak legs. So, where do I stand in all of this? I like to look at it as more of an homage to the best two films in the franchise. I had a blast watching it in the theater. As a fan I enjoyed seeing Linda and Arnold onscreen together in a Terminator film. I wasn’t crazy about some of the dialog and the explanations regarding how their respective characters arrived at this point but, did the best I could to see past it.

I really liked the concept of Grace’s “enhanced” abilities and how Mackenzie Davis got herself into incredible shape to play the role. It didn’t call for much acting but, she had zero issues handling it and, I liked her portrayal. The weak link in the casting was Natalia Reyes. Her character “Dani” was required to fulfill the film’s elements of human drama but, she just never came across as credible. The production elements, stunts and visual effects were exactly what you’d expect from a Terminator film in 2019. At 128 minutes it runs just a bit overlong but, the pacing isn’t problematic.

Having seen Terminator: Dark Fate twice now, my feeling is the same. On the surface it’s a flawed and unoriginal Terminator film. Taking another look just beneath the top layer, it’s a flashback to those early Terminator films that opened the door to the kind of effects laden sci-fi thrillers that kept us coming back. In that light I am okay with it, warts and all.

Replay Value: 3.5 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence throughout, language and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 100

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Terminator: Dark Fate comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation on Ultra HD Blu-ray, was derived from a 4.5K source and finished on a 4K digital intermediate.

From a cinematic perspective this is a genre film that was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind, and that comes through in the Ultra HD presentation. I wouldn’t describe this film as overtly colorful, although, there are elements, such as the daytime scenes in Mexico, the car factory and wide-angle shots of vehicle chase, where the palate of autumn-based hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red/green benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing vividly pleasing and lifelike. Resolution gets a noticeable boost as well. Close-ups and mid-level shots offer improved refinement and deeper definition that makes textures easier to delineate.

There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant, such as the crackling arcs of light against the dark highway upon Grace’s arrival from the future, the roaring flames from the crippled C5 military plane or the final standoff with the Terminator in the dam. The film contains a host of sun splashed, daytime segments, which appeared more vibrant and tonally gradational compared to the Blu-ray. The film’s plethora of defining low level sequences had excellent depth of field and emboldened contrast.

Based upon the excellent quality of the original source the difference between viewing Terminator: Dark Fate in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day, but there is no question that its UHD presentation benefitted from the increase in resolution, WCG and, high dynamic range treatment.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR10 presentations, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. The use of audio objects placed above and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. The film’s active moments, swallow you up as the revolving, rotating and all-encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides. The attention to detail here is noticeably on display, giving you a taste of what is to come early on during the film’s opening encounter at the car factory and finishing things off with the C5 battle/crash, followed by the finale at the dam.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for a fully involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement, which complimented the source material. I had a great time!

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Terminator: Dark Fate comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film’s visual style doesn’t lend itself to eye catching color or infinite levels of dimension but this is a creative decision that doesn’t reflect negatively on its presentation. Resolution is excellent with clearly rendered images that exhibit refined levels of detail during close ups and discernible depth of field in wide angle shots. The chromatic range is purposefully limited to muted primary colors and softer secondary hues. That coupled with the drab lighting schemes and dark cinematography makes for a visually pallid but thematically affecting look. Skin tones among the cast vary and range from Rosy to pale while appearing textural and predominantly lifelike. Blacks are deep and dynamic and shadow detail is excellent. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts in this whistle clean high definition presentation.

The 7.1 channel audio is demonstration quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems near reference. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it penetrates well into the room. Channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds contained in this demanding soundtrack.

At times the listening position is submerged in a 360-degree web of sound that contains a host of discretely placed near field and panning sound effects. The encounter in the car factory, followed by the extended highway chase sound in the film’s opening sound terrific, offering a glimpse of what the track has in store. Low frequency effects are applied with authority and provide room shuddering bass capable of potent impact. This is an involving and noteworthy audio presentation that is guaranteed to rock your home theater.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Terminator: Dark Fate Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Terminator: Dark Fate Blu-ray
    • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    • A Legend Reforged
    • World Builders
    • Dam Busters: The Final Showdown
    • VFX Breakdown: The Dragonfly
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

Terminator: Dark Fate is the sixth installment in the iconic Terminator film franchise. Conceptually speaking it’s an uninspired film that most may dismiss as a simple rehashing of the better films in the franchise. While that certainly may be true, I opted to view it as an homage to those early films, finding parts of the story to be entertaining while reveling in the action and typically fun special effects.

Terminator: Dark Fate comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack from Paramount Home Media Distribution, featuring faithful overall video quality (which includes Dolby Vision HDR) that makes the most of the source material, terrific lossless surround sound, that features a head turning Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a lackluster supplemental package. As a franchise fan, I found Terminator: Dark Fate disappointing given the innate potential of its subject matter. That said, I enjoyed it for its nostalgic feel and entertaining sci-fi action. In that light I urge genre fans to check it out on Blu-ray and see what their findings are.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I seen this in the theater it was ok not great but ok. With that high of atmos rating I will have to check out the 4k version in my home theater. I wonder if the second time through will do any thing for me that the first time didn't. I will give this one a second look and listen .
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Wow, a 100 rating for the Dolby Atmos score makes this movie a no-brainer to put on my UHD rental queue. Thanks Ralph! I did not see this movie in the theaters but look forward to seeing it at home sometime soon.

Cal68
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 592
When i purchase a title i expect all the bonus features. Paramount has made a few extras Digital exclusive including audio commentary by director Tim Miller and editor Julian Clarke.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3657
Thanks for the review Ralph. I have a copy of this on pre-order and it will go on the shelf along with all the other ones. I guess you could say I'm a 'Terminator' completionist.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 39 Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thanks Ralph. I will pick this up for sure. Still waiting for the first Terminator movie to release on 4K disc as well....

Spoiler!
post #7 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Thanks Ralph. I will pick this up for sure. Still waiting for the first Terminator movie to release on 4K disc as well....
100 score for atmos I'm all over this for that alone. Thanks for the review Ralph.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Haven't cared for the Terminator franchise after T2... but I'll pick this up based on the 100 Atmos score.

Thanks for the review Ralph!

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #9 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
This is on my "blind do NOT buy list" , but as always I appreciate your POV Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #10 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I enjoyed this one at the theater and will be adding the 4k to my collection. Granny sure was crabby !!!! Her crabbiness was kind of warranted though!!
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I watched Terminator Dark Fate in the theater. Besides the fact that it rendered the first two movies null and void (just like Genisys did), the most notable special effect was watching Arnold attempting to suck in his gut the entire time he's onscreen. I noticed near the end that due to his ongoing battle against the bulge, they opted to go for high and tight above the waist shots for him.

I mean come on. Netflix can pay millions de-age those old Italian dudes but Paramount wouldn't pay for lipo for Arnold? Couldn't they at least have called Spanx and get a custom made girdle?

Oh, and one more thing. Predator. Aliens. Terminator. What do they all have in common? Franchises bungled and killed by greedy studios and now all three are effectively dead.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #12 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 03:43 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Quoted: 4170 Post(s)
Liked: 6758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I watched Terminator Dark Fate in the theater. Besides the fact that it rendered the first two movies null and void (just like Genisys did), the most notable special effect was watching Arnold attempting to suck in his gut the entire time he's onscreen. I noticed near the end that due to his ongoing battle against the bulge, they opted to go for high and tight above the waist shots for him.

I mean come on. Netflix can pay millions de-age those old Italian dudes but Paramount wouldn't pay for lipo for Arnold? Couldn't they at least have called Spanx and get a custom made girdle?

Oh, and one more thing. Predator. Aliens. Terminator. What do they all have in common? Franchises bungled and killed by greedy studios and now all three are effectively dead.
You can add STAR WARS to that list as well... The latest movie, in fact the entire new trilogy, is garbage, just like this movie

Shame the studios never gave the audiences what they wanted namely Terminator: Future War. You know the seriously cool snippets of the future war, well imagine an entire movie of that

Thank you Ralph for another excellent review. Shame the movie isn't better!

neveser likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-15-2020 at 08:56 AM.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
I'll probably rent first and go from there. Loved 1 and 2, liked 3, loved Salvation and did not like Genisys. Not sure where this will fit in for me.

Excited to hear this audio track!
post #14 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I'll probably rent first and go from there. Loved 1 and 2, liked 3, loved Salvation and did not like Genisys. Not sure where this will fit in for me.

Excited to hear this audio track!
Well without giving away spoilers let's just say that the movie completely ignores Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines, Salvation, and Genisys, whilst also taking a humungous dump on Terminator 1 and 2, which it does within the first 4 minutes of the movie, and then proceeds to beat you over the head incessantly with wokeness and PC. If you like this sort of thing then you will love this movie
Toe, subacabra and thehun like this.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 09:04 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Well without giving away spoilers let's just say that the movie completely ignores Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines, Salvation, and Genisys, whilst also taking a humungous dump on Terminator 1 and 2, which it does within the first 4 minutes of the movie, and then proceeds to beat you over the head incessantly with wokeness and PC. If you like this sort of thing then you will love this movie
You have convinced me to move from my "probably rent first" in my previous post to DEFINITELY rent first! PC stuff drives me nuts these days in particular. Thanks for your thoughts!
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
You have convinced me to move from my "probably rent first" in my previous post to DEFINITELY rent first! PC stuff drives me nuts these days in particular. Thanks for your thoughts!
Irrespective of the fact that the movie itself is garbage with Ralph's 100 Dolby Atmos Score it will be great for audio system demos, so I'm going to pick it up for that
Craig Peer, Toe and thebland like this.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm in perfect alignment with Ralph here. An expertly crafted action movie with some nostalgia sprinkled on top. Yes, PC it was (damn them all), I just had to accept it at this point, but at least this time around it was worth the effort. A net gain, really...
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

Too many to list. ;)
post #18 of 39 Old 01-16-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Nice, candid review, Ralph. I may get it anyway, for nostalgia.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7448 Post(s)
Liked: 9019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Irrespective of the fact that the movie itself is garbage with Ralph's 100 Dolby Atmos Score it will be great for audio system demos, so I'm going to pick it up for that

I’m going to get it and watch it as a double feature with T2 and pretend none of the other movies after T2 even exist. To be honest, I’ve only seen T3 and not the other sequels anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and ARROW-AV like this.
post #20 of 39 Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 3666
First, a small disclaimer. I always enjoyed all the Terminator movies, and T2 been my favourite (especially the extended version).

Just for that reason, I will buy this one as soon it come out
And very glad to see, that "Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger" came back for there original roles as "Sarah Connor and the Terminator".
While been older now, it is nice to see them back in this franchise. As full role, not just a cameo appearance done before by Arnold.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 01-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.
post #21 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Not too surprised on the 100/100 Atmos rating. Terminator Salvation from 2009-2010 was my ultimate reference for surround sound back on blu-ray. Few movies could produce a rumble as deep as that lorry chasing gigantic robot scene. Craaaazy deep bass.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The movie is pretty bad, yet most members here say they will buy the BD, which will in turn encourage the making of yet another pointless sequel, prequel, requel or whatever. We are all home theater enthusiasts, but I like to think we are movie enthusiasts first.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #23 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
The movie is pretty bad, yet most members here say they will buy the BD, which will in turn encourage the making of yet another pointless sequel, prequel, requel or whatever. We are all home theater enthusiasts, but I like to think we are movie enthusiasts first.

Yeah we're all movie enthusiast, but for me a movie is more than just the story and how it's told. For me a movie is a total package that consist of the story and how it's told, the picture quality and the audio quality. A bad story can suddenly become tolerable if the PQ and AQ are outstanding.

I grew up watching movies at home with good stories and bad PQ and bad AQ because they were viewed on a small TV with TV speakers, but I still enjoyed the movies even though the PQ and AQ were bad. As an adult I now watch in a dedicated theater on a 120" screen, with an 11 speaker Atmos system and dual 15" subs.

So if the story is bad but the PQ and AQ are outstanding, I'm still in for one heck of a ride on the audio and visual side so the bad movie suddenly isn't so bad anymore and can often be worth buying.

I own lots of movies that don't have a good story, but are still one heck of a ride. If it was only about the story then I would still be watching movies on a small TV with TV speakers.
Ralph Potts, Toe, Emaych and 3 others like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 01-17-2020 at 03:02 PM.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

I personally don't purchase any disc just because of the picture or audio quality. This was a flawed film but I still enjoyed it. Every movie enthusiast likes a film they even they admit is "bad." Even so, how does a studio releasing another sequel that you won't purchase affect you in ANY way?

Spoiler!
post #25 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
I personally don't purchase any disc just because of the picture or audio quality. This was a flawed film but I still enjoyed it. Every movie enthusiast likes a film they even they admit is "bad." Even so, how does a studio releasing another sequel that you won't purchase affect you in ANY way?

There are some bad movies which I enjoy, but there’s something interesting in the way they are bad, it’s a different and “worthier” kind of bad. But to answer your question, it doesn’t affect me more than it affects everyone else; it keeps artistic standards low for everyone. But that’s a cultural subject matter that’s probably out of place in this forum. I’ll just point you to that South Park episode called “Raising the Bar”.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #26 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Thanks @Ralph Potts , and a great score for Atmos Will have to give this disc a spin!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 05:48 PM
Toe

Quote:

Here are my thoughts in a nutshell on this....

A movie can be good for a few different reasons.

1. Good story, script, acting, etc....
2. Amazing Audio/Video. The great thing about movies in today's world with how far A/V has come and how much both of those contribute to the experience is the A/V experience alone can make a movie "good" for many of us A/V nuts myself included. I'm sure that amazes movie purists here, but it's just the reality for many of us like myself. I mean the reality is when I look at my movie collection, I wouldn't own ~75% of the movies I own if not for the A/V/3d equipment I own (mostly audio for me).

I'm completely OK not being a film purist but instead more of a HT enthusiast.

Having said the above, of course the ultimate is when you have it all. Awesome story/acting, and killer audio/video.
Legairre, Emaych and Ralph Potts like this.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:

2. Amazing Audio/Video. The great thing about movies in today's world with how far A/V has come and how much both of those contribute to the experience is the A/V experience alone can make a movie "good" for many of us A/V nuts myself included. I'm sure that amazes movie purists here, but it's just the reality for many of us like myself. I mean the reality is when I look at my movie collection, I wouldn't own ~75% of the movies I own if not for the A/V/3d equipment I own (mostly audio for me).

I'm completely OK not.being a film purist but instead more of a HT enthusiast.

Having said the above, of course the ultimate is when you have it all. Awesome story/acting, and killer audio/video.
My thoughts exactly Toe. You just said it better than I did.
Toe and Ralph Potts like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #29 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm completely OK not being a film purist but instead more of a HT enthusiast.

Oh, it doesn’t amaze me at all that many people - most people, probably - prefer great production values to actual substance. I believe most of the movie industry relies on that. Even I can appreciate great A/V on an otherwise mediocre movie, but just in a short span, because it will lose impact very quickly if the artistic direction/writing is poor. For me this applies to any art form, even though I can understand your enthusiasm from a purely technical point of view.

Toe likes this.

post #30 of 39 Old 01-17-2020, 06:41 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
My thoughts exactly Toe. You just said it better than I did.
Thank you, but your post was excellent as well!

Two great examples for me are two of my absolute favorite films, but for very different reasons.

1. The Big Lebowski. One of my all time favorite movies as far as the writing and acting. I've watched this countless times. ZERO A/V factor though.

2. Aquaman. One of my all time favorite films because it is SO MUCH FUN watching this right at reference level with 4 subs, buttkickers, big projection screen, 3d, above reference level bass with my house curve while the rest of the audio is right at reference, etc......but without all this HT gear, this would have been a one and done watch for me. With the HT gear though it is one of the most fun, intense HT rides in my collection! I've watched this 5 times now IIRC and it floors me every time! Killer movie in a high octane HT!

To keep this on topic though, I am still excited to check out Dark Fate mainly for the A/V experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page