Zombieland: Double Tap Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
  • 4 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By MrKyle
  • 1 Post By Waboman
  • 4 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By MrKyle
  • 2 Post By taz291819
  • 1 Post By Waboman
  • 2 Post By TravisPNW
  • 1 Post By brazensol
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By TheSonyExperience
  • 1 Post By morphinapg
  • 1 Post By CalJake

post #1 of 24 Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Zombieland: Double Tap Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors, and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family. Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Zombieland: Double Tap from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 99 minutes
Genre: Horror/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio, English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Jessie Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin, Zoey Deutch, Rosario Dawson, Luke Wilson, Thomas Middleditch
Directed by: Ruben Fleischer
Music by: David Sardy
Written by: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Dave Callaham
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 21, 2020

"Follow the Rules…Again!"

Synopsis:

“Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors, and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

My Take:

Set one decade after the events of the first film, Zombieland: Double Tap finds Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg), Little Rock (Abigail Breslin), and Wichita (Emma Stone) working together as a well-oiled, zombie-killing machine with a new home in the now-vacant White House. These four slayers must face off against the many new kinds of zombies that have evolved since the first movie, as well as some new human survivors. But most of all, they have to face the growing pains of their own snarky, makeshift family.

I like the original Zombieland. I am not a big fan of zombie movies although I have nothing against them. I generally tend to like spoofs and originally had no expectations for it. Jesse Eisenberg’s dry, nonchalant, Michael Cera type delivery didn’t appeal much but, the presence of Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin gave me hope and, it paid off. Zombieland: Double Tap arrives ten years later and finds the quartet in solid form as they square off against a host of zombies, which they have now classified (you’ll have to watch it to see what I mean).

Very much like the first film, all the requisite bloodletting, funny bone tickling quips, rules and interaction among the principles is present. In addition to that are several well-placed characters that they encounter along the way that add fun to the proceedings. The plot isn’t especially different but, that’s part of the charm of sequels like Zombieland: Double Tap. Honestly, I could watch Woody Harrelson play any character and enjoy it. As with the first film he is a scene stealing machine that makes the most of each moment the camera is on him. Emma, Jessie and Abigail are fine but, are pretty much along for the ride. Newcomer Zoey Deutch comes in a close second as “Madison” the film’s dingy interloper that adds a wonderful touch of comic relief.

So, while Zombieland: Double Tap doesn’t reinvent the wheel, there’s still plenty of mindless, surefooted horror/comedy fun to be had. Just be sure to hang around just after the credits begin to roll….

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for horror violence/gore, language some drug and sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

DTS:X Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Zombieland: Double Tap comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD, Zombieland: Double Tap was derived from 3.4K sources, and rendered from a 2K DI.

The 1080p transfer of Zombieland: Double Tap is a good one and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail and visual depth. This film makes use of a variety of lighting schemes, and when called for, the cinematography makes use of shadows, cascading/streaming light and a mix of light/dark elements. It’s application here is used well drawing upon HDR’s ability to create stark contrast between the two. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural.

The film utilizes various chromatic schemes, with a cooler overall visual aesthetic, that appears faithfully reproduced in Ultra HD. The nature of the photography didn't always allow the wide color gamut to shine, but, scenes like their arrival at Nevada’s “Graceland” mansion, or the grounds at “Babylon” revealed vibrant earth toned hues and lush color. Close ups offer fine detail rendering and, appreciable chromatic delineation in the skin tones and costumes worn by the cast.

The application of HDR appeared noticeably lacking until the final act during the preparation and standoff against the zombie horde. Set against the nighttime backdrop the fireworks, roaring flames and various levels of arcing light looked fantastic.

Based upon the quality of the original source the difference between viewing Zombieland: Double Tap in high definition and Ultra HD isn't night and day but, the upgrade is a discernible one that makes it well worth considering.

DTS:X:

In listening to the DTS:X soundtrack, I was happy with the application here. When applied, the use of overhead sound objects elevated proportional correlation. When compared to the 5.1 channel mix on the Blu-ray, the immersive sound offers a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low-level detail. During the various encounters/interior/exterior venues featured in the film, the track brims with atmospherics which adds an enriching layer to the soundstage. This is noticeable right from the beginning, with examples being found throughout (listen for the falling Tower if Pisa!). When called for the mix took a subtle or more active approach while adding a complimentary element. I enjoyed this audio presentation and had a good time listening to Zombieland: Double Tap.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 94

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Zombieland: Double Tap comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This is an excellent high definition rendering that sports plenty of fine detail and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective. Colors range from warm and vivid to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide-angle shots of the landscapes featured in the film look terrific. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Zombieland: Double Tap looks great on Blu-ray.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack (as well as the 7.1 Master Audio core on the UHD version) feature crystal clear dialog, robust dynamics and when called upon, an engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension, and directional effects. This worked hand in hand with a resonating and potent low end, and rousing music, that underscored the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be an involving audio presentation that complimented the video resulting in an entertaining viewing experience that enhanced the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Zombieland: Double Tap Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Zombieland: Double Tap Blu-ray
    • Extended Bloopers & Outtakes
    • Alternate & Extended Scenes
    o “The Beast is Gone”: Tragedy falls upon Tallahassee.
    o “Van Rides”: A vehicle says a lot about a person.
    o “Would of Never Met”: Wichita and Columbus discuss what their lives would have been like if not for the zombie apocalypse.
    o “In Bed”: Tallahassee’s still got it!
    o “Breakfast at Babylon”: Cruelty-free breakfast and conversation.
    o “Car Ride”: Road trips were made for family bonding.
    o “Melting Gun”: Tallahassee says goodbye to another friend.
    o “There’s a Party Tonight”: I don’t want to hang out with a bunch of hippies.
    o “Alternate Proposal”: Love is the perfect mix of cool and uncool.
    • “The Doppelgangers”: From stunts to special effects, this in-depth piece breaks down doppelgangers Flagstaff and Albuquerque and comes complete with interviews, demonstrations, and multiple cameras to snag all the action in their wild scenes.
    • “The Rides of Zombieland”: From the Beast to Big Fat Death (and a hated Pontiac Trans Sport in between) this short focuses on the rides that get our main characters around Z-land.
    • “Rules of Making a Zombie Film”: It takes a lot of rules and a lot of people to make a zombie film!
    • “Making Babylon”: Explore the climactic third act location in the film known in Zombieland as Babylon. Part fortress, part freshman dormitory, Babylon is the safe-place for a generation of misguided peace-loving retro-hippies.
    • “New Blood”: Rosario Dawson, Zoey Deutch, and Avan Jogia join our zombie-slaying cast.
    • “Single Take Doppelganger Fight”: Ruben Fleischer shares the camera monitor during the Doppelganger fight sequence.
    • Commentary with Director Ruben Fleischer
    • “Zombieland Ad Council”
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

As with its predecessor Zombieland, Zombieland: Double Tap[/i] is an entertaining and well executed horror/comedy that hits the target via its likeable characters, well placed humor, and clever integration of its thematic elements. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack that features excellent overall video quality, engaging lossless surround, including DTS:X immersive sound and a fan friendly supplemental package. If you’re a fan of the original film Zombieland: Double Tap is a solid sequel with very much the same feel. Take it for a ride on Blu-ray and enjoy!.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
The application of HDR appeared noticeably lacking until the final act
:/

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #3 of 24 Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
hmm no atmos in this one but a 4 for replay might be worth checking out. I did not get a chance to see this one in the theaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Did you happen to test the IMAX enhanced audio/video?
Think this is the first UHD BR that isn’t a documentary

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / ATV4K
Klipsch RF-7 iii - RC-64 iii - 4x CDT 5650 II - 2x R-5800 W II
2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 / miniDSP 2x4HD

Bedroom - 65VT30
post #5 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 8049 Post(s)
Liked: 10609
I’ve got this one coming. Thanks for the review - I’m looking forward to watching it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
I wasn't planning on picking this up, but I have always found DTS:X to sound better than ATMOS so probably will.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Did you happen to test the IMAX enhanced audio/video?
Think this is the first UHD BR that isn’t a documentary
Greetings,

No, I am not currently set up for IMAX Enhanced. I am planning on a pre/pro upgrade this year which will almost definitely incorporate IMAX Enhanced.

Regards,
MrKyle likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #8 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

No, I am not currently set up for IMAX Enhanced. I am planning on a pre/pro upgrade this year which will almost definitely incorporate IMAX Enhanced.

Regards,
No worries! Didn't think you had from looking at your setup but was curious. I think I'll pick it up and see how it looks/sounds!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Bedroom - 65VT30
post #9 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7776 Post(s)
Liked: 17648
Slummed it with the lowly 1080p version, still looked and sounded quite good. As for the movie, I enjoyed it. Tallahassee cracks me up. Loved the Columbia pictures opening logo scene too.

Ralph, I could have sworn you had the 8805, which is IE.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #10 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Slummed it with the lowly 1080p version, still looked and sounded quite good. As for the movie, I enjoyed it. Tallahassee cracks me up. Loved the Columbia pictures opening logo scene too.

Ralph, I could have sworn you had the 8805, which is IE.

Greetings,

I was seriously considering it but, decided to wait until I see the HDMI board upgrade included. I had the 8802 (a) and didn't much care for sending it in for the board upgrade. We'll see how things look soon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #11 of 24 Old 01-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I avoided the first one for so long because I thought it would be awful and I finally watched it on Netflix and it was great lol. Went out on picked it up last Black Friday on 4K disc. Wonderful review. Will blind buy this one for sure.

Spoiler!

Last edited by TheSonyExperience; 01-25-2020 at 12:54 AM.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 PM

Picked this one up the other day and watched it tonight on my IMAX Enhanced setup (x4500h / 77A9G)

Picture looked great, as noted by Ralph there weren't a ton of areas where HDR was fully utilized outside of the Nevada/Hotel intro scene and the final set piece at Babylon - but those scenes looked amazing with the bright neon lighting/explosions against the dark/night settings.

The IMAX Enhanced DTS:X mix was great as well, best way I could describe it is a more powerful sounding mix compared to other Atmos/DTS:X content I've listened to.

Will have to go back and watch it again in standard HDR/DTS X and see if I can notice differences
Ralph Potts likes this.

Bedroom - 65VT30
post #13 of 24 Old 01-25-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The wife and I watched this last night. If you liked the first one (which we did), you'll like the this one as well.

And I agree, Harrelson stole every scene he was in.
MrKyle and Ralph Potts like this.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #14 of 24 Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7776 Post(s)
Liked: 17648
Quote:
Greetings,

I was seriously considering it but, decided to wait until I see the HDMI board upgrade included. I had the 8802 (a) and didn't much care for sending it in for the board upgrade. We'll see how things look soon.

Regards,
Yeah, I hear ya. Sending stuff back in isn't any fun.

After renting the 1080p BD, I went out and bought the 4K UHD disc. And I thought the regular BD looked good. Noticed a difference right away. Plus, it's my first IE disc that's not a nature doc.

Ralph Potts likes this.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Blind buy along with the first one. I've seen neither. Plan on back to back viewing soon.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
Ralph Potts and morphinapg like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #16 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
Then how did you watch it? I could not find any other English language options besides DTS:X.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelValade View Post
Then how did you watch it? I could not find any other English language options besides DTS:X.

Greetings,

IMAX Enhanced at its core is DTS:X which is the track that I listened to.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #18 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 690
It is on the way!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #19 of 24 Old 03-28-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
I avoided the first one for so long because I thought it would be awful and I finally watched it on Netflix and it was great lol. Went out on picked it up last Black Friday on 4K disc. Wonderful review. Will blind buy this one for sure.
The first one was great

This second one, while been good. Is not to same standard, for me. Just my two cents

Darth
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
The first one was great

This second one, while been good. Is not to same standard, for me. Just my two cents

Darth
I agree. It doesn't have quite the same magic as the first one but I still didn't mind it.
darthray likes this.

Spoiler!
post #21 of 24 Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
It's very close for me, but I think the freshness of it all just makes the first edge it out, but if this was the first movie, I probably would have liked it just as much.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #22 of 24 Old 06-03-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Mindless fun, a couple of times the actors said something that had me burst into laughter. If i was putting together a double feature, this would be second on the bill with Tremors leading off.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Like others have said, if you liked the first one, you'll like it, if for no other reason than nostalgia since so much time has elapsed from the first. I viewed the Blu-Ray from Netflix, and as mentioned in Ralph's description, was disappointed it was only DTS 5.1. The extras were entertaining. Surprise - no script for the Bill Murray cameo

Not as new, fresh, and novel a take on the tired zombie movie genre as the first, which I think is one of the reasons I liked it so much, but then it really couldn't be. Still entertaining though.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-07-2020, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 4544
Thinkin' Tallahassee in 4K UHD is overkill. Waitin' for grab-barrel DT DVD.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page