Doctor Sleep Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Toe:

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, as Jive Turkey stated above, Red Box is solely the theatrical release.

As for the regular blu-ray, I'd say it look s a bit soft, but I sually feel like that with 1:85 aspect ratio presentations. Felt like the same with Jurassic World, even though most everyone said the picture quality was amazing.
Toe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 10:02 AM

Anyone else finding this movie pretty slow? Does it pick up in the 2nd half?
post #33 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by esprague View Post
Yes, it does, and the third act is well worth the wait.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Yes, it does, and the third act is well worth the wait.
Agreed, just more build up than today's typical horror movie. Thanks.
post #35 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by esprague View Post

no, not at all. I found the movie thoroughly engrossing from the start. It gave all the characters room to breath, so everything just meant more in the end
Jive Turkey, mldardy and Ben23 like this.
post #36 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
no, not at all. I found the movie thoroughly engrossing from the start. It gave all the characters room to breath, so everything just meant more in the end
Fair enough. Perhaps I just didn't care for the movie. I did, however, feel it picked up in the 2nd half. I finally got around to seeing IT 2 and felt the same way. I love horror, and this is the golden age for horror; just wish there were more quality films produced. Feel the same way about Sci-Fi.

Also, I thought the Blu-Ray Standard transfer was mediocre. Soft and no pop.
post #37 of 47 Old 02-09-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 2561
This was way better then I expected it to be. They could have cut it down a bit more but I enjoyed it. Captured some of the vibe of Kubrick which I thought was a cool tip of the hat.

I watched the DV stream on iTunes. Looked good overall. Some nice HDR pop in a few of the campfire scenes.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #38 of 47 Old 02-16-2020, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
movie under radar for me - really looking forward to it now with all the stellar audio observations have been reading
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #39 of 47 Old 02-16-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I rented it last night from vudu 4k hdr with atmos. Fantastic picture and sound. There was really good use of atmos as well. My daughter and i really enjoyed the movie. I have been watching horror movies with her since she was 7 and shes 33 now. I really feel old.
Ralph Potts, taz291819 and adpayne like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #40 of 47 Old 02-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Watched the theatrical version last night and really enjoyed the film. Have the directors cut coming and am curious to see how the additional 30 minutes plays in.
post #41 of 47 Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Watched this last night. I thought it tied into the shinning well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.
post #42 of 47 Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
"Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. This film is tailor made for immersive sound as the blend of audio objects placed in the height channels contains atmospherics and discrete effects. At times it creates a tangible level of 3D immersion that is attention grabbing.

The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location. I loved the scene where Rose the Hat makes her way to Abra’s room. Listen right at the 1:18:00 time mark as the various sounds/effects turn the room into a multi-dimensional listening space.

There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments that show off this well-crafted immersive sound design. Everything comes together during the final act’s encounter as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room shuddering bass. I think that it complimented the source material, and made for an entertaining and invigorating listening experience. Hands down this among the BEST Dolby Atmos mixes I have heard. Hats off to the sound mixers at Warner for another winner."

Fully agree Ralph - Incredible mix - I like to rate audio in tiers as outright best is very subjective at times - would rank this very high in my top tier - outstanding
Ralph Potts likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #43 of 47 Old 02-19-2020, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
Watched this last night. I thought it tied into the shinning well.
What flashed through my mind was the Kathy Bates/James Caan movie, but of course that one was called MISERY, also based on a Stephen King novel, and properly speaking, she wasn't really aiming for the shins to my recollect....
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #44 of 47 Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Good Movie, watched The Shining for the first time last weekend and then rented this last night. DVD picture quality sucks, or else my jvc is diming really really bad but the ending had terrible blacks until the lights came on. That part creeped me out more than the entire Shining movie. Loved the throw backs. Since I had never seen The Shining and then getting to see this one a few days later they REALLY did a GOOD job with the last part of the movie and a lot of other hidden throw backs that I caught. Shouldve found the bluray disc to rent, the DVD mightve killed it. I also think they severely over used the thump-thump of a heartbeat in it.
Ralph Potts likes this.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 x jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
post #45 of 47 Old 02-29-2020, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
When I saw they were going to make a movie out of Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining, I decided it was about time I gave the source material a read. I read The Shining over the course of two days and while I enjoyed the novel, I highly prefer the movie. King’s writing style lends itself to some great character insights, but his descriptive style sometimes can run on for many pages too long. As many have noted in the past, the novel and film arrive at a similar result, but have some major changes between the two in the final act.

I next started on Doctor Sleep. At 500 pages, the task didn’t seem too daunting to knock this one out in a couple of days, but it took me nearly a month to read the whole thing. I read the first 300 pages in no time, but then I petered out and would come back to it in spurts, finally finishing it in an airport in Minneapolis on my way back from a work trip. There was a lot to like about Doctor Sleep. It had a cool new foe, that was utterly fascinating and explored more of the supernatural element at that were introduced in The Shining. Unfortunately, King’s descriptive style was on high gear throughout, which made the read cumbersome at times. There were details upon details that would take up near chapters. At points I just couldn’t take it anymore and had to put it down. I left the experience satisfied, but didn’t feel the sequel captured the terror of The Shining. I’ve decided that Stephen King, while an undeniably great writer, has a style that I’m just not fond of.

I was still quite excited to watch Doctor Sleep and finally got around to it last night. My wife had never seen The Shining - I know, that’s just crazy - so of course we had to pos that in first. My wife was sure glad we did, as she would have been completely lost throughout Doctor Sleep. I found the movie to be much more satisfying than the book. It touched upon all the high points of the book, while removing some of the needless elements and redundant characters. I also enjoyed the final act of the movie much more than the book. The final act of the movie really brought the two movies together and brought s nice level of terror that was reminiscent of the original. I’m excited to watch the Director’s Cut on this one, although I wish it had been provided via seamless branching in 4k, but I guess the Blu-ray will have t do.

From and A/V standpoint, there isn’t much else to say that Ralph hasn’t covered. I enjoyed the picture, but the real showstopper was the Atmos track. Holy bass! I enjoyed the application of object placement throughout, with many sounds appearing all over the room. This one was an absolute treat and the bass hit hard! Thanks for providing another great review, Ralph!

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #46 of 47 Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the need to watch 'The Shining' first before watching Dr. Sleep. If someone had not read or watched the Shining, they would miss a great many references made in Dr. Sleep to its predecessor The Shining. I watched with my friend who probably hasn't read a book in the last 50 years and had no recollection of The Shining. I am positive that so many of the references to it were completely missed by him and I really didn't want to stop the film every few minutes just to explain the origins of many of the scenes. He even missed Redrum...which many people also did when The Shining first came to the theaters.

On another note, while Ralph made mention of the difference between the UHD and the Blu Ray with only the Blu Ray having the extended cut, I wish my senile old mind had paid closer attention. If I had, I would have just bought the blu ray and watched only the extended version.
However, I thoroughly enjoyed Dr Sleep as did my friend. I will wait awhile before I go back and watch the extended version.
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #47 of 47 Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the need to watch 'The Shining' first before watching Dr. Sleep. If someone had not read or watched the Shining, they would miss a great many references made in Dr. Sleep to its predecessor The Shining. I watched with my friend who probably hasn't read a book in the last 50 years and had no recollection of The Shining. I am positive that so many of the references to it were completely missed by him and I really didn't want to stop the film every few minutes just to explain the origins of many of the scenes. He even missed Redrum...which many people also did when The Shining first came to the theaters.

On another note, while Ralph made mention of the difference between the UHD and the Blu Ray with only the Blu Ray having the extended cut, I wish my senile old mind had paid closer attention. If I had, I would have just bought the blu ray and watched only the extended version.
However, I thoroughly enjoyed Dr Sleep as did my friend. I will wait awhile before I go back and watch the extended version.
It was mentioned in my post above. My wife hadn’t seen the original, so it was a must watch before we dove into Doctor Sleep.
Ralph Potts and Steve544 like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page