Doctor Sleep Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 6917
Doctor Sleep Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Years following the events of "The Shining," a now-adult Dan Torrance must protect a young girl with similar powers from a cult known as The True Knot, who prey on children with powers to remain immortal. Check out Ralph Potts’ Ultra HD Blu-ray review of Doctor Sleep from Warner Bros. Home entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 152/180 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, Kyliegh Curran, Cliff Curtis, Carl Lumbly, Zahn McClarnon, Emily Alyn Lind, Bruce Greenwood, Jocelin Donahue, Henry Thomas, Jacob Tremblay, Robert Longstreet, Violet McGraw
Written & Directed by: Mike Flanagan
Music by: The Newton Brothers
Based on the Novel by: Stephen King
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 4, 2020

"The Next Chapter in the Shining Story"

Synopsis:

“Years following the events of "The Shining," a now-adult Dan Torrance must protect a young girl with similar powers from a cult known as The True Knot, who prey on children with powers to remain immortal.” – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

My Take:

Still irrevocably scarred by the trauma he endured as a child at the Overlook, Dan Torrance (Ewan McGregor) has fought to find some semblance of peace. But that peace is shattered when he encounters Abra (Kyliegh Curran), a courageous teenager with her own powerful extrasensory gift, known as the “shine.” Instinctively recognizing that Dan shares her power, Abra has sought him out, desperate for his help against the merciless Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson) and her followers, The True Knot, who feed off the shine of innocents in their quest for immortality.

It goes without saying hat The Shining is one of the most haunting and timeless of iconic author Stephen King’s literary works to be adapted for the big screen. When Doctor Sleep was announced I was truly intrigued and had every intention of seeing it in the theater. It just didn’t happen so I eagerly awaited its home video release. I haven’t read Stephen King’s novel but, then again, I have never read The Shining either (I know I know…!). Having recently reviewed the Ultra HD Blu-ray release of The Shining it was fresh in my mind going into viewing this “next chapter”.

I am a big fan of writer/director Mike Flanagan’s Netflix series “The Haunting of Hill House” so I was comfortable that this source material was in capable hands. Doctor Sleep is most definitely a sequel in that it continues the story of Danny Torrance, bringing him full circle. Having said that, I found that the story stood quite well on its own without necessarily focusing on the events of The Shining but, using them as a springboard to tell this one. Of course, there are essential elements taken from The Shining that establish the primary foundation of what transpires, especially later in the film but, I liked the sort of direct sci-fi/horror/thriller tone that underscored the film’s second act.

The third act masterfully segues into the moody atmosphere found in The Shining while delivering on dark thematic aspects that underscore the context of both films. There is as stylish essence to the storytelling and production design that I found invigorating. Make no mistake there are several dark/chilling moments that steadfastly keep Doctor Sleep in the realm of horror. While not as outwardly haunting as its predecessor I did find myself thinking about well after the credits rolled. The cast does a fantastic job. Ewen McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson and young Kyleigh Curran handle the lions share but, there are several well-played supporting performances that are worthy of note. Jacob Tremblay’s scene as one of the victims of “The True Knot” is simply fantastic, leaving an indelibly disturbing impression.

Doctor Sleep doesn’t have Stanley Kubrick’s eerily defining competence when it comes to balancing story with visual stimuli but, I don’t believe that was the intention. I believe that it aptly strikes the mark when and where it intended, giving us an engaging the befitting finish to a terrific story. I had a blast…

It should be noted that the Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the theatrical version in Ultra HD and the director’s cut on Blu-ray.

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for disturbing and violent content, some bloody images, language, nudity and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 92

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 100

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Doctor Sleep comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Doctor Sleep was rendered from a 6.5K source and finished on a 4K DI.

From a cinematic perspective, this film was shot with a specific visual aesthetic in mind and that comes through in this presentation. At times the image is nearly devoid of color, while at others, has a pleasingly diverse palate, that sets the mood of a scene. Shot digitally the image has a smooth aesthetic, with clean delineation that draws out plenty of detail, in both close-up and wide-angle camera shots. Blacks are deep without compromise to fidelity, as the layers of detail seen with them is readily apparent. Contrast abounds as the richness of the depth seen in grays, whites and mid-tones pops in the film’s variety of low-level sequences. Fleshtones adhere to the film’s visual aesthetic and appear consistent throughout the presentation.

As I alluded to earlier Doctor Sleep isn’t a predominantly colorful film however its cooler chromatic hues, sepia tones and variants of blue/red benefited from UHD's wider color gamut, appearing warmer and pleasing to the eye. There is intermittent use of visual elements that utilize high dynamic range. I wasn't especially impressed with its application although some of that may be owed to the nature of the photography. There were instances where bright elements looked appreciably vibrant but, none really stood out.

Stylistically speaking, Doctor Sleep isn’t the type of film that is going to dazzle with its use of eye scorching dynamism or vivid color. There is no question that its Ultra HD presentation appears faithful and makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Doctor Sleep, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be identical. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to bright color and vibrant highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR10 renderings, any minute differences were negligible and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that makes effective use of the platform. This film is tailor made for immersive sound as the blend of audio objects placed in the height channels contains atmospherics and discrete effects. At times it creates a tangible level of 3D immersion that is attention grabbing.

The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location. I loved the scene where Rose the Hat makes her way to Abra’s room. Listen right at the 1:18:00 time mark as the various sounds/effects turn the room into a multi-dimensional listening space.

There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments that show off this well-crafted immersive sound design. Everything comes together during the final act’s encounter as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room shuddering bass. I think that it complimented the source material, and made for an entertaining and invigorating listening experience. Hands down this among the BEST Dolby Atmos mixes I have heard. Hats off to the sound mixers at Warner for another winner.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Doctor Sleep comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film has an intentionally stylized visual design that utilizes a monochromatic color scheme that works aesthetically well for the film’s theme and setting. The color range is limited to shades of gray, teal and black with splashes of crimson, blue, sepia, and a variety of secondary hues. Fleshtones hold up fairly well against the de-saturated chroma and don’t appear unnatural. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are punchy and grays are multi-staged and deep. I find the quality of the video to be high. It’s cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement and delineation that enhances depth and reveals fine detail in objects, clothing, and physical features.

Blacks are gradationally revealing which combines with excellent detail in low light and shadowy backgrounds to provide a strong sense of dimension. All in all, this is an excellent high definition rendering that looked great on my large screen.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 sound is reference quality and sounds superb. This film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialog within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialog is distinctly perceptible and well-articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable.

Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. This creates an immersive, active and involving soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to room energizing dynamism.

Low frequencies underscore sound effects and reinforce the dynamic impact of the audio. Response is authoritative, clean and on occasion prodigious as it fills the room with deep, tactile, low level bass energy. I found this to be a superlative mix that creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that all of the elements inherent in the recording can be realized.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1 Doctor Sleep Ultra HD Blu-ray (Theatrical Cut)
  • Disc 2: Doctor Sleep Blu-ray (Director’s Cut)
  • Return to the Overlook
  • The Making of Doctor Sleep: A New Vision
    [*[From Shining to Sleep
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Stephen King Doctor Sleep is an engaging and multi-faceted film that while not as well-rounded and eerie as its predecessor, makes for a sturdy and complimentary follow-up that didn’t leave me wanting. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Combo Pack that delivers excellent image quality, while invigorating the listening experience with a head turning Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix. Also included is a fair assortment of extras that are worth exploring. Doctor Sleep is an entertaining horror/thriller that closes out the story of Danny Torrance and the Overlook Hotel. If you’re a fan it makes for a terrific, and highly recommended purchase on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Just preordered. Glad to hear the Atmos mix is among the best. I only first watched The Shining a few months ago and am looking forward to this.

Thanks for the review Ralph!

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #3 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Spot on review Ralph, that's exactly how I felt about it as well.

The wife and I were pleasantly surprised with this film, and as I said in the other thread, it may be one of the best "sequels" I've seen.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Saw this one in theaters, it's a memorable one for sure. The wife and I absolutely loved it! Warner Bros has some excellent sound engineers in their studio, and watching this in XD was a treat for sure! Typically, from my experience Sony and Warner Bros usually have the home runs in the home media department. Great review, thank you again!
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

Onkyo TX-RZ920
SVS Prime Bookshelfs
SVS Prime Center
SVS PB13 Ultra
Klipsch KG1.0 & KG1.2
post #5 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Thanks Ralph. Wasn't sure if this was a simple money grab from the studio, but it sounds like it is a legit movie in its own right. I will give it a try.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb
post #6 of 51 Old 01-29-2020, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 6229
Ralph, hi thanks for the great review! We watched this last night, I hadn't even seen a trailer and a big fan of the original movie & book.

I thought it was fantastic!! excellent performances from the cast, Rebecca Ferguson was especially convincing and was genuinely scary.

I am still talking about the movie and recommending it to all friends and coworkers who may have missed it. 100% worth seeing !
Ralph Potts and taz291819 like this.
post #7 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 134
So which is better, the theatrical version or the extended version?
post #8 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Better than the book!

This movie was great. I went in with low expectation since after I read the book last year I wasn't too thrilled. First Stephen King book I read that I didn't really care for... he sort of wimped out ... especially with the happier ending.
This will be the first time I think I've ever liked a movie better than a book I've read.
Two thumbs up all the way. I really like how it tied in to the events of 'The Shining' movie better than the book did as well.
Ralph Potts, SuperFist and Panson like this.
post #9 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
This movie was great. I went in with low expectation since after I read the book last year I wasn't too thrilled. First Stephen King book I read that I didn't really care for... he sort of wimped out ... especially with the happier ending.
This will be the first time I think I've ever liked a movie better than a book I've read.
Two thumbs up all the way. I really like how it tied in to the events of 'The Shining' movie better than the book did as well.
Sold! I'll get the BD.
Ralph Potts and lordhutt like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #10 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
So which is better, the theatrical version or the extended version?
Most people that have seen both have said the director's cut is superior. I started with the director's cut and loved it but will check out the theatrical version on disc when I receive it.
post #11 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 234
This was so good. Terrible title and probably why it do not do well at the box office. Rebecca Ferguson was downright scary and this. Anybody recognize who played Jack Torrance?

Spoiler!

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #12 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
"...the Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the theatrical version in Ultra HD and the director’s cut on Blu-ray."

How about the Atmos soundtrack? Is that available on the director's cut?
Steve544 likes this.
post #13 of 51 Old 01-30-2020, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Nice Ralph Im excited to pick this up now!!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #14 of 51 Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 3104
Hi Ralph

Bingo big time! Very nice and highly accurate review. I'm just gonna copy my take from the preview thread but quite simply this is just a must own

Quote:
Can't wait for the official review but after a recap with the well done 4k version of the" Shinning" Last night we settled in for "Dr. Sleep" 4k digital stream with that swanky Home Atmos mix and it was just incredible and studio mixers will do well to follow this blue print. The movie itself casting, acting,music score all just outstanding. As mentioned above it does very,very well as stand alone film (rare) and as a bridge from the shining it was near flawless
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by audiofan1; 01-31-2020 at 01:12 AM.
post #15 of 51 Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post
Quote:
"...the Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack contains the theatrical version in Ultra HD and the director’s cut on Blu-ray."

How about the Atmos soundtrack? Is that available on the director's cut?
Greetings,

As stated in my review:

Quote:
Doctor Sleep comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Regards,
Jess Sayin likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #16 of 51 Old 01-31-2020, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
This was so good. Terrible title and probably why it do not do well at the box office. Rebecca Ferguson was downright scary and this. Anybody recognize who played Jack Torrance?

Spoiler!
Greetings,

YES! Caught that right away. The same actor was in director Mike Flanagan's "The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix. Highly recommended...

Regards,
Jive Turkey and audiofan1 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 51 Old 01-31-2020, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

YES! Caught that right away. The same actor was in director Mike Flanagan's "The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix. Highly recommended...

Regards,
Haunting of Hill House was awesome. And casting him as the younger version of the Timothy Hutton character was genius.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #18 of 51 Old 02-01-2020, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7700 Post(s)
Liked: 17466
Just watched the 4K DV directors cut. It adds 30 minutes to the movie bringing the runtime to 3 hours!😳 Looked and sounded really good. Excellent use of the surrounds to create a creepy environment. I can't say if the directors cut is better than the theatrical cut as I have not seen that. But I quite enjoyed this movie.

Just a FYI, Vudu has the directors cut in both DV and Atmos. iTunes has the directors cut in DV but not Atmos. The theatrical version is available on both sites in both Dolbys.

Shine on.

post #19 of 51 Old 02-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 3379
An FYI:
The 4K UHD disc set has the theatrical version only on 4K disc. The standard BD has the director's cut.
The included MoviesAnywhere redemption code gets you the Director's cut in AND Theatrical cut in both 4K and DV.
thehun, TravisPNW and Ben23 like this.
post #20 of 51 Old 02-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Does the Blu Ray Directors cut come with an Atmos audio mix? We know that the 4K has Atmos but what of the BR extended directors cut? Someone else asked this but no one answered.

Steve

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #21 of 51 Old 02-05-2020, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Does the Blu Ray Directors cut come with an Atmos audio mix? We know that the 4K has Atmos but what of the BR extended directors cut? Someone else asked this but no one answered.

Steve

Greetings,

I quoted and answered this question in post # 15 of this thread Steve.

Regards,
Steve544 and TravisPNW like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #22 of 51 Old 02-05-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This was actually my favorite movie I saw in theaters last year. I am really excited to watch the Director's Cut as soon as I can 3 hours. I wish the DC was on the 4 disc though...I'll never understand why they do this kind of thing.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 51 Old 02-06-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
This was actually my favorite movie I saw in theaters last year. I am really excited to watch the Director's Cut as soon as I can 3 hours. I wish the DC was on the 4 disc though...I'll never understand why they do this kind of thing.

Greetings,

Great to hear from you @Stormshadow4life . I totally agree regarding not including the DC on the 4K disc.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
Has anybody rented the blu ray from Redbox or Netflix and if so does the rental contain the extended directors cut?
post #25 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Toe, I rented this today. I'm putting it on as soon as I finish the Blu-Ray of IT 2, which I'm totally not impressed with. I didn't care much for the first one, but this is pretty terrible. I'll let you know about Doctor Sleep later.

Erik
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.
post #26 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked: 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by esprague View Post
Toe, I rented this today. I'm putting it on as soon as I finish the Blu-Ray of IT 2, which I'm totally not impressed with. I didn't care much for the first one, but this is pretty terrible. I'll let you know about Doctor Sleep later.

Erik
Good deal Erik! I really appreciate it!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #27 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Has anybody rented the blu ray from Redbox or Netflix and if so does the rental contain the extended directors cut?

Redbox is the Theatrical release with Dolby Atmos. Loved the book, love the movie. It was fun to spot all the similarities between the two, and when the movie diverged, fun to see how where they took it to.

Rebecca Ferguson. Perfect Rose the Hat and extremely easy on the eyes.
Ralph Potts, Toe and taz291819 like this.

See ya. Dave

"The Blues ain't nothin' but a botheration on the mind." Otis Spann
post #28 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Dang this was so good AV wise. I actually thought the HDR was splendid. Some of the outdoor shots and the glint in the eyes was really nice!

Sound was crazy. Probably my fav atmos track ever. It was mixed SUPER hot though. We’re talking bladerunner 2049 hot. We watched -5db than normal and it still shook the house. VERY dynamic track for sure.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #29 of 51 Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7700 Post(s)
Liked: 17466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Rebecca Ferguson. Perfect Rose the Hat and extremely easy on the eyes.
Yeah, I'd give ol' Becky the best 10 seconds of steam she's ever had.
Jive Turkey likes this.

post #30 of 51 Old 02-09-2020, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2406
With all those Bloody Mary's come out like Popcorn Suttons finest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page