Ford v Ferrari Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #31 of 90 Old 02-19-2020, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
This was an amazing awesome movie. I have not seen all of the "Award Show Best Ofs" yet but this one pulled ahead of Once Upon a Time for me.

The character development, script, acting, racing, all of it, best of year for me.

Not sure the names of the actors of Ken's wife and child but thought they were great. In fact the entire cast including the Ford executives were spot on too.

My streaming service allows 48 hours to watch a rented movie. This is the first and only movie of 2019 I watched twice in 24 hours. Hell maybe in years.

This will be a BUY in something like UHD for sure. I don't buy many these days but this one is a must.

Ken's wife was played by Caitríona Balfe who plays in Starz series Outlander.

I agree on the movie...just great on all fronts.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Best Movie Made in a Long Time

This is one of the best movie made in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I cannot wait to watch it again. The movie started out exciting when I heard race cars all around my room including the rear. I have a 7.2 system, and this is one of the few movies that make full use of all rear channels. In addition, when Shelby was flying the plane, I heard it come over my head although I do not have an Atmos setup. My only difference from Ralph's review is that I would have to give both picture and sound a 100 rating. The picture was crystal clear and free of filtering or that stylized picture mode that I dislike in movies. In addition, some of the shots gave me the impression that I was driving the race car. And, again the sound, it completely filled and engulfed my room. What a movie.
post #33 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I watched this is 7.2 as well, Was definitely cool to hear all channels being used clearly!

There was some funky peaky bass in it when they got to le mans. Couldve been my system though.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Right on Ralph, I thought you might like it too, this was easily the best "guy's" movie in a long time that stayed clear from the "modernizing" efforts that plagues many films these days. Bale just gave another stellar performance here. Kudos to the sound team for their well deserved Oscar as well.
Yes buy it!!
I couldn't agree more. My wife actually liked it as much as I did though. Surprisingly, there were a lot of LOL moments.

Of all the "Best Picture" movies, this one is my favorite, but I haven't watched JoJo Rabbit yet (this weekend), Little Women, or Marriage Story. My wife saw Little Women and said it was good, not great, and Marriage Story doesn't appeal to me (looks too depressing). I can see why Parasite won, but I had a much more enjoyable experience with this one.
Ralph Potts, thehun and djoberg like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #35 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I couldn't agree more. My wife actually liked it as much as I did though. Surprisingly, there were a lot of LOL moments.

Of all the "Best Picture" movies, this one is my favorite, but I haven't watched JoJo Rabbit yet (this weekend), Little Women, or Marriage Story. My wife saw Little Women and said it was good, not great, and Marriage Story doesn't appeal to me (looks too depressing). I can see why Parasite won, but I had a much more enjoyable experience with this one.
Greetings,

Awesome Dave. I am so glad that you both (so did we) enjoyed this too.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #36 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5684 Post(s)
Liked: 6268
Amazing!!

Thanks for the review Ralph! This movie was remarkable in every way, the acting, the story, the visuals and the excellent soundtrack. The Steelbook is a real 'looker' too and have it on display.

It was a little tough to not see Matt Daemon the whole time but he did a great job overall. The star of the movie was Christian Bale who very quick disappeared as the actor and became Ken Miles.

we've had 2 viewings and several more lined up this weekend with folks who haven't see it. My faith in the ability to make an A++ movie has been restored!!

Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.
post #37 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks for the review Ralph! This movie was remarkable in every way, the acting, the story, the visuals and the excellent soundtrack. The Steelbook is a real 'looker' too and have it on display.

It was a little tough to not see Matt Daemon the whole time but he did a great job overall. The star of the movie was Christian Bale who very quick disappeared as the actor and became Ken Miles.

we've had 2 viewings and several more lined up this weekend with folks who haven't see it. My faith in the ability to make an A++ movie has been restored!!

I wanted to grab the Steelbook too, but it was sold out at three Best Buy stores that I stopped by. Finally I just settled on the regular UHD.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #38 of 90 Old 02-20-2020, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7784 Post(s)
Liked: 17667
Ordered the Steelbook 2 days ago and it arrived in my mailbox today. That mailman needs to sign up for Le Mans.

So faster than Ken Miles in a GT40, well I move more like Clark Griswold in the Family Truckster, I watched this tonight. Wow! This is one good looking movie. And the audio, those race scenes, oh those glorious race scenes, man were they intense! Just a really great movie, with great acting and a great story.
Spoiler!
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

post #39 of 90 Old 02-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I watched this last night streamed through Apple TV. I'll definitely will purchase this soon. I've made the mistake of buying too many movies before watching some of them and they'll just sit in the closet forever. This one will not. Tremendous movie and I look forward to hearing it without the compress audio. Yes, ATV steams Atmos but it is most definitely compressed! I did hear from the wife upstairs to turn it down a couple of times LOL.

If I owned it already I'd probably watch it again today!
Ralph Potts and RagtopFE like this.

Living Room | Marantz SR6011 | Samsung LNB467500 | Oppo BDP 103|B&W CM8S2 (L/R) | B&W CM Centre S2 |B&W ASW 608 Sub Family Room | Denon x4300h | Samsung UN55KS8000| Marantz CD6006 | Panasonic DMP UB900 | B&W 707S2 (L/R) | Golden Ear INVISA HTR7000 (LH/C/RH) | Golden Ear INVISA MPX (LR/RR) | Golden Ear Forcefield 4 Sub | Control 4 EA-1 Controller | Definitive Technology AW6500 (outdoor - Zone 2).
post #40 of 90 Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I couldn't wait for the price drop so I got this on Netflix as a BD...

It's great, not what I was expecting but better than expected, a well balanced story very well told. I look forward to viewing in HDR! I'm suspicious that the sound may have been tampered with on the rental since, although really great in that it sounded authentic (I have seen and heard these cars for real), is lacked impact.

For the sound I put the dialog at a comfortable listening level and expected the cars to be loud, they were not, the mix on the rental (DTS-HD MA) may suffer from some dynamic range compression.

After watching the movie one of the first questions I had was did Peter Miles take up racing, he did, off-road racing, https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/...-son-peter.php

Here's another good article I found, https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckta.../#5eb39bfb4af5

This article is okay too, https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...nfight-1252141

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 02-23-2020 at 04:06 AM.
post #41 of 90 Old 02-23-2020, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Amazing soundtrack. Great film. Watched last night with some AVS friends. Awesome awesome!

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #42 of 90 Old 02-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The Adam Carolla documentary on Carroll Shelby adds a great deal to the movie. Free to watch.
dnoonie likes this.
post #43 of 90 Old 02-23-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post

To me, this film really made Lee Iacocca look like a huge dick!

I’m not sure I understand this comment. I think maybe you confused Iococca with Leo Beebe.

As for the movie. Watched it 3 times already. I can’t tell you the last time I did that. It’s easily the best movie I’ve watched in years. They get a few things wrong...but overall just excellent all around. And, man the audio is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Vaughn likes this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #44 of 90 Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
I’m not sure I understand this comment. I think maybe you confused Iococca with Leo Beebe.
You are correct - Leo Beebe was given control of the company’s racing program, and they clashed in the pits and the Ford racing development program.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 02-24-2020 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Added Spoiler Tags
post #45 of 90 Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

That's the way you tell a story.

That's the way you build characters. Lots of them.

That's the way you mix sound. All the way around, even the simple stuff.

That's the way you shoot a film. In tight, up top, all around with pageantry and rich color. A perfect portrait of the time period and subject.

That's the way you pace a film. Good movies are never too long, and bad ones always are.

And that's what happens when terrific direction and fantastic actors meet with superb editing.

Do all that, and you get Ford vs. Ferrari. A truly epic and masterful film.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights

Last edited by Erod; 02-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #46 of 90 Old 02-24-2020, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
This is one of those films that looked interesting to me from the trailers, but not something I wanted to see in the theaters or preorder. However, once I saw the review on this forum, as well as the many glowing comments about the film and its A/V on other threads, I decided to pick it up.

Boy, am I glad I did. This is one of the best films of 2019 and I’m not at all surprised that it was nominated for Best Picture and won for best Sound and Film Editing. Quite honestly, I’m surprised it didn’t win more awards and that neither of its stars were nominated for an Oscar. Christian Bale’s performance was truly amazing, once again proving that he is one of the greatest actors of his time. I was also extremely impressed with Matt Damon’s performance was also something to behold. He really nailed the accent (I’m from Texas, so I hear it all the time), as well as the general demeanor of a man that loves his cowboy hat. It was a great nuanced performance, and in my opinion, one of the best of his career.

On a technical aspect, this is by and large one of the best looking films I’ve ever scene. Not only does it nail the general aesthetic of its time, but it does so without sacrificing fine details. There are many shots that are simply breathtaking. In fact, the opening frames that take place at night time are a good example of what is to come. As for audio, forget about it! Again, from the opening frames, this mix is alive and present throughout the soundstage. It gets loud, but never sacrifices sound clarity. You truly feel as if you are part of the race, as the sound brings the personality of the cars to life.

Another great review, Ralph!

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.2.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I & TV3612 Subwoofers
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #47 of 90 Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Again @Ralph Potts, another stellar review. The Atmos IS incredible on this one. What a great movie, with replay value. Great actors, great story, great Atmos, and LFE.
post #48 of 90 Old 02-24-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
You are correct - Leo Beebe was given control of the company’s racing program, and they clashed in the pits and the Ford racing development program.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #49 of 90 Old 02-25-2020, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked: 2607
Bought this on a blind buy, I’m glad I did. What a fantastic film. Will have replay value at home

God Bless!
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work.
post #50 of 90 Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Bought this on a blind buy, I’m glad I did. What a fantastic film. Will have replay value at home
Couldn’t agree more. One of the best films I’ve seen all year and I liked it even more than The Joker. Perfect pacing and it really captured the essence of the characters.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I & TV3612 Subwoofers
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #51 of 90 Old 02-26-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Couldn’t agree more. One of the best films I’ve seen all year and I liked it even more than The Joker. Perfect pacing and it really captured the essence of the characters.
If I were an Academy voter, this would have received my vote for Best Picture.

post #52 of 90 Old 02-26-2020, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
If I were an Academy voter, this would have received my vote for Best Picture.
Completely agree. At the time of the Oscars I hadn’t seen it, so The Joker made sense. After seeing Ford vs Ferrari, I think they completely missed the mark. Not the first or last time that will happen.

post #53 of 90 Old 02-28-2020, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I had a blast going through all of the extras. Never has a film ever made me care about cars in the slightest except this one. This is my personal best picture worthy film of 2019.

Spoiler!
post #54 of 90 Old 03-05-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
I echo the sentiments of my fellow AVS members who loved this film and extolled the virtues of the story, acting AND the amazing PQ/AQ. I concur with your analysis 100% Ralph...spot on review!

Here is what I said about it in a short review on the "PQ Thread":

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post59331946

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 03-05-2020 at 08:46 AM.
post #55 of 90 Old 03-30-2020, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5684 Post(s)
Liked: 6268
The UK release showed up today, I forgot I ordered it over 6 months ago. Does anyone know why they titled it 'LE MANS '66' in the European territories?

We had 6 showings of this before the recent events, what a remarkable movie!!

post #56 of 90 Old 03-30-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The UK release showed up today, I forgot I ordered it over 6 months ago. Does anyone know why they titled it 'LE MANS '66' in the European territories?

We had 6 showings of this before the recent events, what a remarkable movie!!

No idea why it's called that, but it is my favorite movie from last year (which is saying something considering how many truly great movies there were in 2019).

post #57 of 90 Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 680
I think it's because the Le Mans race wasn't as well known in North America around the time - but was very well known to Europeans. Thus in North America we'd be more familiar as it's was when an American car company competed on a European race and won (hence Ford vs. Ferrari). But Europeans would know it much better as when those Americans had the gall to compete and win and making it an infamous Le Mans race.

It's really a cultural thing. Europeans will probably realize it's about that race with the current title, while Americans will recognize both Ford and Ferrari in he title and be intrigued on multiple levels
SuperFist and dnoonie like this.
post #58 of 90 Old 04-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Was only going to rent this, but after all the glowing praise, you guys twisted my arm and I ordered the BBY Steelbook.

Same here Just went to BestBuy and bought it based on the reviews here lol

Home Theatre: Marantz SR7012 | Emotiva BassX A-300 | Ascend CMT-340 SE Front L/C/R | Klipsch R-14S Surround Side L/R | Klipsch R-41M Surround Rear L/R | Klipsch CDT-3650-C ii Atmos | Dual Monolith 12 Subwoofers | Sony BDP-S6700 | Minix NEO U9-H |

Music: Denon AVR-S910W | Klipsch RP8000F | Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer |
post #59 of 90 Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just finished watching it. Unbelievable!! One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Thanks Ralph for the review. Glad I bought it!

Home Theatre: Marantz SR7012 | Emotiva BassX A-300 | Ascend CMT-340 SE Front L/C/R | Klipsch R-14S Surround Side L/R | Klipsch R-41M Surround Rear L/R | Klipsch CDT-3650-C ii Atmos | Dual Monolith 12 Subwoofers | Sony BDP-S6700 | Minix NEO U9-H |

Music: Denon AVR-S910W | Klipsch RP8000F | Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer |
post #60 of 90 Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Just finished watching it. Unbelievable!! One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Thanks Ralph for the review. Glad I bought it!
Glad you and so many others here enjoyed it so much. I wish it got more attention with the academy but that's alright I suppose.
Ralph Potts and Tom Riddle like this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page