1917 Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

post #31 of 97 Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Thanks for this review. I've been very eagerly awaiting this one. This was definitely one of the best films of last year. With some luck, I'll be able to purchase this disc before everything shuts down entirely...
Why do you find it necessary to BOLD the text in all your postings/replies?

...almost as odd as people who reply with ALL CAPS (often regarded as shouting when used online)
Not the fellow that you are addressing, but YOU do not speak for all of us ! I have visual problems (will not go into detail)...but L A R G E print gives me almost no benefit, however bold print is tremendously helpful. I realize that the guy that you are dogging was not purposely trying to help me, but he certainly made at least one section of this uber-readable to this guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 03-20-2020, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
Other than it's visual aspects I found this movie to be average at best, with it's glaring historical inaccuracies and a very simple story line . Nothing special about the sound design which could have been so much better especially since the way it was shot. All in all a rental for me as I don't see this as a high replay value as Ralph does. YMMV.
gbaby and Derek1981 like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #33 of 97 Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 157
"glaring historical inaccuracies"

As I understand it was not intended to be historically accurate. If you want historically accurate there is a series that does just that regarding WWI. I think the guy who did the Tolkien movies did it. Colorized, etc.

They Shall Not Grow Old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 97 Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Saw this a couple weeks ago at the tail end of it's theatrical run. I was just going to wait till it came out on disc and catch it at home but all the reviews I saw said it was a must see in the theaters.

I enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching it again in the home theater. Pre-ordered. Thanks for the review Ralph!

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #35 of 97 Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Not the fellow that you are addressing, but YOU do not speak for all of us ! I have visual problems (will not go into detail)...but L A R G E print gives me almost no benefit, however bold print is tremendously helpful. I realize that the guy that you are dogging was not purposely trying to help me, but he certainly made at least one section of this uber-readable to this guy.
Thank you.
WOLVERNOLE and Tom Riddle like this.

Spoiler!
post #36 of 97 Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Happy to report the uhd disc of 1917 doesn't have any banding in the sky on my 900e like the uhd vudu stream did!
Looks absolutely stunning
Ralph Potts and RagtopFE like this.
post #37 of 97 Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
My copy from Best Buy (which was to arrive tomorrow) was just DELAYED (), so I cancelled it and ordered it from Amazon. It is scheduled to arrive on Saturday.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #38 of 97 Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM
OT7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Did curbside pickup 1917 UHD at Best Buy.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #39 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I watched 1917 last night. Very slow. Long wait between the action. I pressed the fast-forward button several times. Cool cinematography. Impressively long cuts Audio was generally unimpressive. I don’t know if I’ll ever watch this film again.

By way of comparison, after watching 1917, I watched Overload for the first time. Incredible action. Incredible audio. Impressed grin on my face for many scenes. Overlord is a fun audio reference film that I will re-watch several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB Projector, SI Zero Edge 120" Screen, Marantz AV8805, Panasonic DP-UB9000, QNAP 32TB, Apple TV 4K, Microsoft Xbox One X, Emotiva XPA-DR3 Amp, Emotiva XPA-6 Amps (x2), Behringer NX3000D Amp (Buttkickers), Atlantic Technology 8600e LRC Front Speakers, Atlantic Technology 8200e Surround Speakers (x6), Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA In-Ceiling Speakers (x6), SVS PB16 Ultra Piano Gloss Black Subwoofers (x4), full info here
post #40 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
I watched 1917 last night. Very slow. Long wait between the action. I pressed the fast-forward button several times. Cool cinematography. Impressively long cuts Audio was generally unimpressive. I don’t know if I’ll ever watch this film again.

By way of comparison, after watching 1917, I watched Overload for the first time. Incredible action. Incredible audio. Impressed grin on my face for many scenes. Overlord is a fun audio reference film that I will re-watch several times.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Rob. 1917 and Overlord are two completely different films. One being a drama where the action isn't the primary objective and the other being a war based sci-fi action/horror hybrid of sorts.

Regards,
adpayne and TheSonyExperience like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #41 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Rob. 1917 and Overlord are two completely different films. One being a drama where the action isn't the primary objective and the other being a war based sci-fi action/horror hybrid of sorts.
I'm fully aware that they're different films. That doesn't make them incomparable. Both are arguably "war films" where soldiers fire weapons at each other. One was slow with unimpressive audio. And the other fast-paced with incredible audio. I expected more action from 1917. But notwithstanding that concern, even as a drama, it was still very slooooooow most of the time. Plus they missed the mark significantly on audio. It's like a really slow version of Saving Private Ryan with lots less action and fewer main characters.

For those reasons, I would recommend 1917 as a streamer. So for people looking to save money right now, that would be my recommendation and one that I wish I had prior to buying 1917.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB Projector, SI Zero Edge 120" Screen, Marantz AV8805, Panasonic DP-UB9000, QNAP 32TB, Apple TV 4K, Microsoft Xbox One X, Emotiva XPA-DR3 Amp, Emotiva XPA-6 Amps (x2), Behringer NX3000D Amp (Buttkickers), Atlantic Technology 8600e LRC Front Speakers, Atlantic Technology 8200e Surround Speakers (x6), Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA In-Ceiling Speakers (x6), SVS PB16 Ultra Piano Gloss Black Subwoofers (x4), full info here
post #42 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
I'm fully aware that they're different films. That doesn't make them incomparable. Both are arguably "war films" where soldiers fire weapons at each other. One was slow with unimpressive audio. And the other fast-paced with incredible audio. I expected more action from 1917. But notwithstanding that concern, even as a drama, it was still very slooooooow most of the time. Plus they missed the mark significantly on audio. It's like a really slow version of Saving Private Ryan with lots less action and fewer main characters.

For those reasons, I would recommend 1917 as a streamer. So for people looking to save money right now, that would be my recommendation and one that I wish I had prior to buying 1917.

Greetings,

Thanks Rob. Expectations can most certainly have an impact on one's perceptions, as appears to be the case here. I knew going into viewing 1917 that it was a war drama centered around a personal story that would contain elements of war, given its setting, but that wouldn't be its overall focus. I didn't find it to be slow at all. Sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Catch you on the next one.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #43 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Lightbulb

I viewed this movie last night and I thought it was a fairly good movie, but it definitely was not a great movie. As someone wrote on this forum, there have been much much better war movies than this one. I consider this on the low end of them. In fact, I would not consider this your typical war movie. It somewhat imitated Dunkirk particularly with some of the sound in tense moments. But, Dunkirk was so much more superior as a movie, that I'm almost ashamed to mention Dunkirk in the same thread as this movie. While some marveled over the picture quality, I beg to differ. I saw no need for the stylized filming that muted the colors and affected the overall resolution and clarity of the movie. i guess the film makers were trying to make the movie look like the period of 1917 when film may have looked like it. But, with modern technology, I see no reason to make films look dated when film technology has advanced to where we are now. Certainly, in the reality of 1917, the earth didn't look dated, but look like it looks now. The picture quality of a movie should reflect current film technology. Film was dated looking in 1917 because that was the film technology of that time. So, why in 2019 when the movie was filmed, should it look dated. The sound was okay, but it was devoid of nuances that the sound should have in a movie of this caliber. If I had to grade it, I would give it a C. I'm sorry but these are my sentiments on this movie.
Emaych, Steve544 and RagtopFE like this.
post #44 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 938
I didn't know Woody from Toy Story fought in WWI.

Woody Scofield

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #45 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Long time since i was startled by a detonation - this movie had it. Surpasses the Ml6 explosion in Skyfall.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #46 of 97 Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Long time since i was startled by a detonation - this movie had it. Surpasses the Ml6 explosion in Skyfall.

this was the first movie we watced with the new rythmik sub, and i must admit...that scared the crap out of my wife and i lol.

pretty good movie. wife even liked it and she isnt a fan of war/gore movies

Ralph Potts likes this.

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #47 of 97 Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
While some marveled over the picture quality, I beg to differ. I saw no need for the stylized filming that muted the colors and affected the overall resolution and clarity of the movie. i guess the film makers were trying to make the movie look like the period of 1917 when film may have looked like it. But, with modern technology, I see no reason to make films look dated when film technology has advanced to where we are now.

***Certainly, in the reality of 1917, the earth didn't look dated, but look like it looks now. The picture quality of a movie should reflect current film technology. Film was dated looking in 1917 because that was the film technology of that time. So, why in 2019 when the movie was filmed, should it look dated. ***
Yes! Concur wholeheartedly! Whatever intrinsic messaging inherent to baking in the muted colors is hopelessly muddled by the very fact that these are post-production techniques. They are intentionally altering the way things appear, presumably for an effect. What is that effect? To hold us at further remove from immersion into the time and place? Inescapably remind us, moment to moment, that we are not there, never were.

One might think that given the multi-generational remove from the bygone era of 1917, films targeted to replicating the moment in time might be much better served by ultra-realism -- the better to promote our identification and projection of ourselves into time and place, the better to make palpable the reality of these events to us. If replicating the look of film, actually the film technology of the time was black and white and silent -- wasn't until the later 20s that sound was introduced. So, if that were the objective, this movie should have been black and white and silent.

Sepia, earth tones, denatured hues possibly harken to photography of the 1800s (and beyond), but then there is no evading the moment to moment awareness that we are less involved, standing outside the action presented, as if shuffling through old west or portraiture photography.

I am definitely with you gbaby! Thanks for articulating this POV!
gbaby likes this.
post #48 of 97 Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
My copy from Best Buy (which was to arrive tomorrow) was just DELAYED (), so I cancelled it and ordered it from Amazon. It is scheduled to arrive on Saturday.

Ironic!

My Amazon order (from months ago) was delayed as well. Just delivered today. I think this is something we have to adjust to until things get back to normal.
post #49 of 97 Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This was the first time pre ordering a movie. I figured with what’s going on in the world it would be wise. Still Hasn’t shown up and I drive by 2 best buys everyday on the way home from work. I’m finding it harder not to just stop in and just buy it. LOL.

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #50 of 97 Old 03-26-2020, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Just received the 4K disc and can't wait to watch it. I've been waiting for this one for so long...typically great review by Ralph but I knew he would like this one.
Ralph Potts and Craig Peer like this.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #51 of 97 Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Hi Ralph, I just finished watching it. I don’t like it. The video and audio are not even close to the score. Sorry this one is not my type.
gbaby likes this.
post #52 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Sorry I don't understand the idea that since its a WWI movie it should look like WWI video technology?

Is that what some think?
gbaby likes this.
post #53 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Disappointing soundtrack.... for what should’ve been epic.

I watched last night and found it more of a slice of a story compared to Saving Private Ryan. I have 8 subs and they got a rest during this film

Yet I liked the story very much though it fell short compared to other war films. I liked the characters.

Sound wise, the surround and ambient effects were excellent. HOWEVER, the musical score overtook this soundtrack. I found the bass lean and unimpressive throughout. There was no ‘Saving Private. Ryan’ like war sound low end or impact. Even the scene where he’s running across the front line bomb blasts near the end left of the film me surprised at the muted quality. But I think it was the sound design - as the musical soundtrack never creased as he was running.

It almost seemed like bass was muted from the ultra low frequencies like you might see in a human interest story. I might’ve been fooled by the previews that this would be more ‘war like’. In my room, 2 stars in the bass.

The video on the other hand was great with great detail.
thehun and Craig Peer like this.

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!

Last edited by thebland; 03-27-2020 at 08:29 AM.
post #54 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Disappointing soundtrack.... for what should’ve been epic.

I watched last night and found it more of a slice of a story compared to Saving Private Ryan. I have 8 subs and they got a rest during this film

Yet I liked the story very much though it fell short compared to other war films. I liked the characters.

Sound wise, the surround and ambient effects were excellent. HOWEVER, the musical score overtook this soundtrack. I found the bass lean and unimpressive throughout. There was no ‘Saving Private. Ryan’ like war sound low end or impact. Even the scene where he’s running in the front line comb blasts near the end left me surprised at the muted quality. But I think it was the sound design as the musical soundtrack Never creased.

It almost seemed like bass was muted from the ultra low frequencies. In my room, 2 stars in the bass.

The video on the other hand was great with great detail.
Totally agree, a war film where the only decent explosion was caused by a rat. What i also found somewhat lacking was suspense halfway into the movie. If the actor carrying the letter were to die halfway - we have no movie!
thebland and gbaby like this.
post #55 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 128
to me, I think it is mostly just one or two men show. It is not the war movie I expected. The cover said it is one of the best war movies all time. It just didn't click on me.
gbaby likes this.
post #56 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Finally got this disc from Vudu. Gonna fire this one up tonight.

Spoiler!
post #57 of 97 Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Just watched a blu ray rental and thought it was excellent all around. Movie had me engaged from the beginning and never let me go!

Audio was excellent and supported the film perfectly. Yeah sure, not a bass demo disc, but the film doesnt call for that type of audio aggression as the focus was clearly meant to stay within the characters head space and an all out audio/bass assault would have acted as a distraction from that.

Video was phenomenal!
post #58 of 97 Old 03-28-2020, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Just watched a blu ray rental and thought it was excellent all around. Movie had me engaged from the beginning and never let me go!

Audio was excellent and supported the film perfectly. Yeah sure, not a bass demo disc, but the film doesnt call for that type of audio aggression as the focus was clearly meant to stay within the characters head space and an all out audio/bass assault would have acted as a distraction from that.

Video was phenomenal!
Greetings,

Great! Glad to hear that you enjoyed 1917 Todd..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #59 of 97 Old 03-28-2020, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 7529
I thought this movie was actually really good. I enjoyed the storyline, the characters and the long, continuous shot that almost had me feeling like I was there. I understand all of the gripes, but this is mostly what happens when you go into anything with expectations. I find the more I actively don't do that, I have a much better time than if I did.

Great review, Ralph!
post #60 of 97 Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Video was phenomenal!
Thanks Todd for the encouraging analysis of the movie and its PQ/AQ. My UHD copy arrived late yesterday and I'm watching it tonight. I have every reason to believe I will have the exact same experience that you did.
Toe likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page