Jumanji: The Next Level Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 6622
Jumanji: The Next Level Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

In this follow up to 2017’s Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Spencer goes back into the fantastical world of Jumanji and, pals Martha, Fridge and Bethany re-enter the game in order to bring him home. But the game is now broken -- and fighting back. Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD Blu-ray Release of Jumanji: The Next Level from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2019
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC @
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio, French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas, Danny DeVito, Danny Glover, Awkwafina, Madison Iseman, Morgan Turner, Alex Wolff
Directed by: Jake Kasdan
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Jake Kasdan, Scott Rosenberg, Jeff Pinkner
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 17, 2020

"Next Level"

Synopsis:

“When Spencer goes back into the fantastical world of Jumanji, pals Martha, Fridge and Bethany re-enter the game to bring him home. But the game is now broken -- and fighting back.” – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

My Take:

Jumanji: The Next Level reunites the four teenagers who survived the trials of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle as they return home to Brantford, New Hampshire from their respective colleges for the holiday break. Now college students, they’re trying to navigate the next level in their individual lives. When Spencer goes missing inside the game ahead of the group’s planned reunion, his friends, along with his grandfather (Danny DeVito) and his grandfather’s friend (Danny Glover), once again inhabit the avatars of Dr. Bravestone (Dwayne Johnson), “Mouse” Finbar (Kevin Hart), Professor Sheldon Oberon (Jack Black) and Ruby Roundhouse (Karen Gillan) to rescue him.

But the game is broken, and is fighting back. Everything they know about Jumanji is about to change, as they discover that there’s more to it than just a jungle; it’s bigger, more dangerous, and has more thrilling obstacles to overcome. This means that anything can happen so expect the unexpected!

I will start off this review with some of my comments from my review of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle:

I am a big fan of the original Jumanji, starring the late great Robin Williams, which is based on the book by Chris Van Allsburg. When I first saw the trailer for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle I was initially put off by the idea of a sequel, but, the trailer looked quite good, and the cast, even more intriguing. Unfortunately, I never got out to see it in the theater, but, heard lots of good reports from friends that had. It arrived the day before street date, and I sat down with my wife to watch it. Yeah, it was worth the wait.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle brings the story up to date, effectively picking up, at the same time frame, as the original ends, then fast forwarding to today. Once game play starts, rather than its elements being brought into this world, the players, like Alan Parrish, are drawn into Jumanji’s world, where we get to see what it must have been like for Alan, including his old shelter. I thought that, among a few other similar things, that were tossed in, was a nice touch, that didn’t feel forced.

Jumanji: The Next Level has much the same feel as the original, as the characters return to the game for more adventure and a few little twists that they clearly didn’t expect. Like the first movie the plot works across the board as the archetypes serving the characters are spot on, and the elements of action, adventure, and humor, work hand in hand, delivering rousing, good natured, fun poking, and well-balanced comedy that doesn’t attempt to reach beyond its limits.

Once again, I really enjoyed the performances by the four primary cast members in Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart and Jack Black, each of whom adds an enriching, and at times hilarious element to the proceedings. Watching Hart and Johnson in their interpretations of Danny DeVito and Danny Glover’s characters is priceless. I could watch Jack Black’s take on the social media teen queen, Bethany, anytime. I am fast becoming a big Awkwafina fan and thought that she added just the right touch to the cast and film here.

The action is fun and the production elements are solid. I found Jumanji: The Next Level to be every bit as entertaining as its predecessor, which in my book, is paying it a very big compliment. All in all, two hours that were well spent.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for adventure action, suggestive content and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

DTS:X Rating: 94

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Jumanji: The Next Level comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS:X/7.1 Master Audio sound.

For its presentation in Ultra HD Jumanji: The Next Level was derived from a 3.4K source, rendered from a 2K DI, and up-converted to 4K. The 1080p transfer for Jumanji: The Next Level looks great and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, emboldened contrast, and a noticeably sharper image. The film has a multitude of sequences containing streaming/cascading light, and mixed light dark elements, that simply look terrific. On occasion this can be a somewhat darkish film, and its low-level sequences had excellent depth and dimension.

Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue, red, and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated. Secondary hues look great as well, especially in the sequences that take place in Brantford. The use of HDR was on the reserved side for the most part. On occasion there was use of interstitial black levels offset by vivid bright elements, such as the scene where Bravestone takes on the multitude of hoods in the village followed by the decimating rocket launcher explosion. The use of shadows mixed with light looked very natural (the scenes that take place in Jurgen the Brutal’s keep for example). The sun splashed sequences in the desert benefitted from the HDR application, appearing vibrant and visually engaging.

Resolution received a boost although the differences between the UHD and 1080p renderings aren’t quite night and day. Close-ups tend to look amazing, with resolvable texture visible in the various interior/exterior sets, physical features, and CGI backgrounds being quite obvious. Having not seen this film’s theatrical presentation, I can’t be certain but, I believe that what we are seeing is a faithful rendering of the film’s elements. Jumanji: The Next Level in Ultra HD presents extremely well and is the best way to experience the film on home video.

DTS:X:

Jumanji: The Next Level has a very solid 5.1 channel surround mix on Blu-ray, so I wondered how much the immersive experience would improve upon it. In listening to the DTS:X surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects, and music. This is applied in an enriching and complimentary fashion, creating a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act, there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field (the ostrich encounter in the desert!).

This continues with the film’s action-based sequences as they convey the breadth/expanse of exterior venues, which bristle with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. The extended battle with the Mandrills on the rope bridges is one of the presentation’s highlights, containing a host of sounds that utilize the entire platform, creating an immersive and fun listening experience.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 96

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Jumanji: The Next Level comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

This film looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent video quality that exhibits high level detail, stable sharpness and revealing definition. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. When called for, colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the spectrum of secondary hues. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives brightly lit scenes without whitewashing detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which emboldens sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure that enhances depth perception. This is a solid presentation that looked terrific on my big screen.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a great job presenting the track’s recorded elements. This soundtrack runs the gamut between passages of spoken dialog and music to engaging sequences that deliver enriching surround sound. Dialog rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Dynamic range is excellent as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior clarity and palpable deep bass transients. The music score is carefully integrated into the sound design and is wonderfully transparent and three dimensional. Clarity is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving as effects are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. I had a great time with this soundtrack and appreciated the attention to detail that went into its design.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Jumanji: The Next Level Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Jumanji: The Next Level Blu-ray
    • Gag Reel
    • “Rhys Darby Wants To Jingle”: How do you top Jack Black and Nick Jonas's unforgettable theme song for the first one? Everyone's favorite Non Player Character, Rhys Darby is ready to take it to the next, next level.
    • “Body Swapping: Snapping Into Character”: “In the latest Jumanji adventure, the avatar roles are turned on their heads with new characters and hilarious performances.”
    • “Back Together: Reuniting the Cast”: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan and Jack Black are back and better than ever as they share their excitement to reunite.
    • “Level Up: Making Jumanji: The Next Level”: From breathtaking scenery, wild adventure, new characters and more- go behind the scenes with the cast and crew as they take Jumanji to the Next Level.
    • “Scene Breakdown: Ostrich Chase”: Jump in your dune buggy and go inside the epic ostrich chase scene as the filmmakers and visual effects team breakdown the creation of this memorable scene.
    • “Scene Breakdown: Mandrill Bridges”: Moving rope bridges, giant mandrills and incredible stunt work make the mandrills attack one of the most adrenaline pack parts of this film. In this scene breakdown, see how they pulled it off.
    • “Awkwafina Cat Burglar”: To prepare for her roles as pick pocket, Ming Fleetwood, superstar Awkwafina got a little too method behind the scenes.
    • “NPC Confessions: Jurgen The Brutal”: Being the bad guy isn't all glory. Jurgen The Brutal gets real in this candid confessional.
    • “Grow Up:” Danny DeVito and Danny Glover help Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart get in touch with their inner grumpy old men.
    • “Telenovela”: Kevin Hart gets lost in translation in this melodramatic promo.
    • “VFX Pre-Vis: Zeppelin Battle”: Compare the detail of the visual effects pre visualization reel and the final picture breakdown of the thrilling Zeppelin battle.
    • “VFX Pre-Vis: Ostrich Chase”: Track the progression from pre-visualization to finished scene in a side by side comparison of the ostrich chase.
    • AR GAME: The 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD include a collectable map that is fully interactive, employing Augmented Reality to bring Jumanji to life through a smart phone, allowing users to create their own 8-bit Avatar, navigate a series of mini games and much more!
  • Digital Code

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book by Chris Van Allsburg Jumanji: The Next Level is a successful and entertaining follow up to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack featuring sparkling Ultra HD video, engaging lossless sound, including a well-crafted Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly assortment of extras, plus a fully interactive augmented reality game experience via smart phone. Like its predecessor Jumanji: The Next Level is a great bit of escapism that has found a place in my video library. I look forward to revisiting it!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Watched the VUDU stream last night and was very impressed with the picture quality. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the original reboot, but still enjoyable. I also could not understand why this time around a few of the characters, when in avatar form, talked with their real world dialect. Jack Black was the only character in the first film that did that, and I found it distracting with Kevin Heart and the Rock doing it this time around.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Saw this in the theaters.

Not remotely as good as the previous one, which was genius. I barely laughed, and it drug on.

Interesting idea twist on the last one character wise, but it didn't pan out. This needed another six months of writing.
TheSonyExperience likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Fun movie. The cussing to get the PG-13 was out of place.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Ralph, your review is much better than the movie. I thought it was very elementary with very poor unconvincing acting. I saw it last night, but turned it off before I finished watching it as it was getting on my nerves. I must be getting too old. For the rest of you, watch at your own peril.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #6 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 520
This third installment in the series was amazing and full of laughter... Nothing will be better than the first, the original but I have to say this was even better than the second movie. Absolutely loved it! Looking forward to the 4th film.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #7 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Odd. On Kaleidescape this was in DolbY Atmos and lit up all channels (I like Disney’s Rise of Skywalker mix).

The DTS soundtrack sounds better than the Atmos one. It was an odd soundtrack. Subdued with great primal effects but decent bass - not exceptional.

Anecdotally, I find the DTS mixes weightier and generally better than the Atmos ones - though Rise of Skywalker was pretty, pretty good.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quick question about sound. I bought the 4k disk. It doesn’t show Atmos. But does the DTS mean the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
Quick question about sound. I bought the 4k disk. It doesn’t show Atmos. But does the DTS mean the same thing?

No. Completely different codec.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Saw this in the theaters.

Not remotely as good as the previous one, which was genius. I barely laughed, and it drug on.

Interesting idea twist on the last one character wise, but it didn't pan out. This needed another six months of writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
Fun movie. The cussing to get the PG-13 was out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I didn't think it was nearly as good as the original reboot, but still enjoyable. I also could not understand why this time around a few of the characters, when in avatar form, talked with their real world dialect. Jack Black was the only character in the first film that did that, and I found it distracting with Kevin Heart and the Rock doing it this time around.
I'm with you on all of that. I only enjoyed the bit at the end where all the animals come back.

Spoiler!
post #11 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
No. Completely different codec.

Thank you I juts read up on the difference. I think My question should of been does DTS use the overhead speakers. Which it does. So that answers my question. LOL.

post #12 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
Thank you I juts read up on the difference. I think My question should of been does DTS use the overhead speakers. Which it does. So that answers my question. LOL.

That would be DTS:X. There are non-3D DTS codecs.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-18-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
That would be DTS:X. There are non-3D DTS codecs.

Thank you for the clarification

post #14 of 34 Old 03-19-2020, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I managed to get the IMAX Enhanced to work for the sound, I actually thought the Dolby Atmos sounded better in the original. But as for the picture, I thought the drawer of IMAX Enhanced was the picture too, I still had 2 huge letterbox bars. I thought it wasnt supposed to be like that or am i missing something?
post #15 of 34 Old 03-20-2020, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 633
No, IMAX enhanced is a DTS X thing. It gives the immersive IMAX audio experience. You're referring to IMAX releases of movies, which usually have varying aspect ration - the IMAX scenes are full screen, while the 35mm parts are still letter boxed. There isn't a movie that was filmed 100% using IMAX cameras, but there are a few where a good majority was.

Yes, it also means the theatrical IMAX showing will switch aspect rations between the IMAX scenes and regular filmed scenes.

It also means there can be IMAX releases feature regular audio, while regular releases can have IMAX enhanced DTS x audio.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-20-2020, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, IMAX enhanced is a DTS X thing. It gives the immersive IMAX audio experience. You're referring to IMAX releases of movies, which usually have varying aspect ration - the IMAX scenes are full screen, while the 35mm parts are still letter boxed. There isn't a movie that was filmed 100% using IMAX cameras, but there are a few where a good majority was.

Yes, it also means the theatrical IMAX showing will switch aspect rations between the IMAX scenes and regular filmed scenes.

It also means there can be IMAX releases feature regular audio, while regular releases can have IMAX enhanced DTS x audio.
So I took that to be the case when reading Ralph's review, and since he did not mention anything other than 2.39:1, I assumed this one does not feature shifting aspect ratios -- that is usually the first thing I check with his reviews. But just to affirm, this one is a constant 2.39:1 (thereby rendering it less desirable, at least for me)?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #17 of 34 Old 03-20-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
While it wasn't as good as the first reboot of the Jumanji movies I like this one. The principle cast did a nice job with the gender and age bending of the main roles. I rate it as solid disc or digital rental for a first look.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 03-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 03-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
This third installment in the series was amazing and full of laughter... Nothing will be better than the first, the original but I have to say this was even better than the second movie. Absolutely loved it! Looking forward to the 4th film.

I need to second this. Went and saw the third installment in the cinemas before watching the 2:nd movie at home.
In this sequence the 2:nd movie felt like a drag. I can highly recommend to see the third movie straight ans skip 2:nd movie unless you saw it already.
post #19 of 34 Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked: 4154
Been a fan of the two previous ones, I already bought this one

Darth
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Been a fan of the two previous ones, I already bought this one

Darth
Just a follow-up

While it was an enjoyable movie, it was not as good has the previous remake and still had a few good laugh. I also found the bass to be on the weak side, but could be attributed not listening near reference level (-12dB on this one). Or due to my subs tweak, and still playing with them. But on the good side, all speakers were very active with a very nice picture.

So in this case, my personal impression of the movie itself not for it's bass content.

Darth
m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 03-22-2020 at 05:13 PM.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
I am a big fan of the 2nd Jumanji and really enjoyed the outstanding bass, having seen that movie many times now as it has great replay value in our home. I enjoyed the 3rd Jumanji but it severely lacked bass for most of the movie and don’t see myself watching this one very many times.
darthray likes this.
post #22 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Just streamed this one so don't want to comment too much on the audio but the movie itself was very enjoyable and had me laughing quite a few times. Solid thumbs up from me
Ralph Potts likes this.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #23 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 3
is this disk indeed an IMAX ENHANCED title?
post #24 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I think 4 stars was a little generous for this Ralph, 3.5 would have been a better fit in my opinion.

Even though it was fun to see familiar characters again and fairly intense situations, I found it to be a rehash of the second one, nothing new had not really been added.
I feel like the writers were holding back to make sure not to use all the best stuff so another installment could be made, and I think they held back a little too much.
It was just lacking expansion in the story for me, there is so much to work with here and it wasn't taken advantage of.

They gave a hint that Jumanji was going to come into the real world at the very end, just like the first one with Robin Williams, and with today's CGI, it should be great and I am looking forward to that, assuming that is where it's headed, and it's that sort of evolvement that this one needed.

I'll see what the future brings, but I hope it's not going to milked to death and become watered down until the cash cow runs out of money, like so may of these.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #25 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
is this disk indeed an IMAX ENHANCED title?
Greetings,

Yes.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #26 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
(snip)

I'll see what the future brings, but I hope it's not going to milked to death and become watered down until the cash cow runs out of money, like so may of these.
If memory serves, "Welcome to the Jungle" grossed over $1B.

The cow is likely to be seriously overworked.
JeffR1 likes this.
post #27 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Ralph,

Finally got around to watching this last night on UHD (thanks for the recommendation). The entire family enjoyed it...I would have rated it 4 stars as well. I didn't have any issues with the presentation and found the bass response accurate, but not over the top.
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #28 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Ralph,

Finally got around to watching this last night on UHD (thanks for the recommendation). The entire family enjoyed it...I would have rated it 4 stars as well. I didn't have any issues with the presentation and found the bass response accurate, but not over the top.
Greetings,

Sweet! I am so glad that you all enjoyed it buddy. Thanks for chiming in!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #29 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I watched this with IMAX enhanced on and off. I have a Denon AVR-X4500 which supports IMAX Enhanced. It could be that my IMAX settings on the Denon were wrong, but IMAX Enhanced made the voices sound "muddy" and the bass seemed "bloaty". As soon as I turned IMAX enhanced off and just listened to the DTS X track normally, then it sounded much better.

Main Room: 65'' Samsung Q90R; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; AMP: Monolith 3-Channel Amp; Center Channel: KEF R2C; L/R Channels: KEF R3; Atmos: KEF R8A; LFE: SVS-PB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K Secondary Room: 49'' Samsung MU7000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; IEMs: Shure 846, Shure 535; DAC/Amp: Dragonfly Cobalt, JDS Labs C5D
post #30 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

Ah, I actually watched an imax promo video on YouTube and they were promoting the fact that it would fill the screen, as it does in the theater. So they can label it imax enhanced even if it's just the audio. That's a shame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page