Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #61 of 143 Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

'Nuff said...

Regards,
Hey don't be shy.
Seriously this could be far more interesting than members arguing about which is better the prequels or the sequels.
Tom Riddle and Cheddarhead like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 6622
Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Hey Ralph....
You must get tired of all the compliments you always receive for your excellent reviews. Darn, your hat size must have grown to be huge over the years. Truly a fine review. You were 13 when you saw the first Star Wars and I was 27. I was shocked and amazed when I saw and heard it in the theater. I was absolutely thrilled by it.
Unfortunately, I am dismayed that, in my opinion, they have ruined and cheapened the franchise for the sake of more dollars in their pockets. Thin story lines, barely visible plots, and superfluous characters have become the mainstay of this series and the action for action's sake is no different to me than gratuitous sex scenes in some films can be. And, I love sex and nudity, but they should be an important part of the story. For the same reasons, I did not like the most recent Mad Max film which was nothing more than one long car chase and crash with barely a story within. The first John Wick film was great...the third was nothing more than one very long and redundant fight scene.

Enough of my disappointed venting...let me add to your hat size and tell you how much I love all your reviews...they are all quality.
Steve
Thank you very much Steve! I wouldn't say that my head size is any larger but, I truly appreciate and enjoy the community here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Hey don't be shy.
Seriously this could be far more interesting than members arguing about which is better the prequels or the sequels.

Perhaps...

Regards,
Dave Vaughn, thehun and Tom Riddle like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #63 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by magi1500 View Post
I can totally understand why folks would prefer these discs to have D Vis. But as a projector user, I am fine with HDR10. I don't think Dolby is ever going to open D Vis to consumer pjs.
I second that.
Ralph Potts and Craig Peer like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5514 Post(s)
Liked: 4616
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Therefore, no Disney 4K movie would ever get above a 90 from me.
I think you are being way over generous. Compared to so many other movies with far, far, far superior sound tracks, no Disney movie would get above a 75. In school that was a "C" (average) and that is all any of them deserve - PARTICULARLY when the really great mixes use more than a 7.x.4 mix (try Hurricane Heist as an example). And, the more I think about, a 75 might be generous.

Disney cares about the masses (TV speakers and soundbars) for streaming - not us!!
post #65 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I think you are being way over generous. Compared to so many other movies with far, far, far superior sound tracks, no Disney movie would get above a 75. In school that was a "C" (average) and that is all any of them deserve - PARTICULARLY when the really great mixes use more than a 7.x.4 mix (try Hurricane Heist as an example). And, the more I think about, a 75 might be generous.

Disney cares about the masses (TV speakers and soundbars) for streaming - not us!!
You make a good point. Many Disney 4K releases have decent audio but I cannot think of a single release from them that has outstanding audio. I love Thor Ragnarok but its pathetic non-dynamic audio is inexcusable, almost criminal.

But that’s the problem when any company knows people will buy their stuff regardless of quality. They half @$$ it and why shouldn’t they.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #66 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I second that.
Dolby Vision has the biggest benefit on screens that have more limitations, and projectors certainly have weak limitations in both black levels and peak light output, so Dolby Vision would help a LOT with projectors, if it were available.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #67 of 143 Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
You make a good point. Many Disney 4K releases have decent audio but I cannot think of a single release from them that has outstanding audio. I love Thor Ragnarok but its pathetic non-dynamic audio is inexcusable, almost criminal.

But that’s the problem when any company knows people will buy their stuff regardless of quality. They half @$$ it and why shouldn’t they.
But here's the thing, half assing it would mean releasing what was in theaters, unaltered. They specifically have to modify the theatrical master to gimp it for the home. It's freaking weird that they would intentionally do this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
post #68 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
pretty decent audio/video for Disney release - watched at +3 -
Movie followed Star Wars formula - I stayed awake thru whole showing so that's a plus -

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #69 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Dolby Vision has the biggest benefit on screens that have more limitations, and projectors certainly have weak limitations in both black levels and peak light output, so Dolby Vision would help a LOT with projectors, if it were available.

Dolby Vision is unlikely to come to any projectors soon. Also, there are many ways to digitally tone map that do a better job than Dolby Vision does.

Hmmmm, I’m going to disagree with you on that. Yes, projectors don’t have the peak light output of a TV, but in my light controlled room, in pitch black, I don’t need that. Also, my JVC has amazing black levels that rival that of any TV. With my electronic masking system engaged, there are times the blacks blend in to the panels. Also, I much prefer the HDR on my projector then I do on my XBR 75x940C.

I will concede, that’s not the case for every projector, but for mine, the two things you listed are not a problem.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #70 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
So I did re watch this with Atmos sound, and it was very much a disappointing experience for me. Not only it didn't best the lossy Amazon DD+ DSU track I heard a few weeks back, it actually sounded smaller and more screen heavy. Lot of the overhead effects were more "discrete" and pronounced on the DSU mixed DD+ track than on the Atmos, the sole exception was with Palpatine's voice when he first spoke to Ren. Generally speaking playing just the Dolby THD mix with the DTS Neural x upmixer yielded a better more open and atmospheric sound field over the Atmos presentation. I observed this on many titles over the last year or so since I have Atmos, most are from Disney. Pity.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #71 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Sick of Disney getting a pass from reviewers on their audio efforts. Turning up the volume is never an adequate solution. The issues with their soundtracks go far beyond decibels. They're consistently flat and lifeless when compared to big budget films from any other studio. They should be called out for their repeated failures in every review and docked large amounts of points until they get the message.

If they want to gimp the audio for their streaming service in favor of the ipad / soundbar crowd then have at it. But to do so on their blu-rays when we the home theater crowd are already paying a premium is completely unacceptable. Especially when you consider these discs allow for multiple audio tracks. If they're so desperate to bend over backwards for the tv speaker audience then include a flat, ****ty stereo mix on the disc and leave the multi-channel track full throated. Hell, make the ****ty mix the default track. I'll gladly wade through the menu's if it means I can go back to enjoying their releases.

I've completely given up on buying any Disney releases because of their incompetence / apathy towards quality audio. If only reviewers would take off the kid gloves and point out what is glaringly obvious, maybe then we'd see a change.
DesertDog and morphinapg like this.

Last edited by Gouty; 03-29-2020 at 09:21 AM.
post #72 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Got my Best Buy notification that my 4k version will be arriving on Mon. Really excited to watch it in The Force Theater! I thought TRoS was a very fun adventure movie. Curious what will happen during the Emperor's big scene at the end (won't mention due to spoilers) that even pushed the IMAX subs to the limit.
post #73 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5514 Post(s)
Liked: 4616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post
If only reviewers would take off the kid gloves and point out what is glaringly obvious, maybe then we'd see a change.

Short of that happening by all reviewers, nothing will change.
post #74 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Dolby Vision is unlikely to come to any projectors soon. Also, there are many ways to digitally tone map that do a better job than Dolby Vision does.
I'm highly skeptical of that. Dolby does a fantastic job, and it's also dynamic tonemapping.

Quote:
Hmmmm, I’m going to disagree with you on that. Yes, projectors don’t have the peak light output of a TV, but in my light controlled room, in pitch black, I don’t need that.
HDR, with it's bright peak output, is designed to be viewed in a pitch black room. That's what I do, so I'm going to have to say you should absolutely want that.

Quote:
Also, my JVC has amazing black levels that rival that of any TV.
Something tells me they don't rival my OLED 😜

post #75 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
So I did re watch this with Atmos sound, and it was very much a disappointing experience for me. Not only it didn't best the lossy Amazon DD+ DSU track I heard a few weeks back, it actually sounded smaller and more screen heavy. Lot of the overhead effects were more "discrete" and pronounced on the DSU mixed DD+ track than on the Atmos, the sole exception was with Palpatine's voice when he first spoke to Ren. Generally speaking playing just the Dolby THD mix with the DTS Neural x upmixer yielded a better more open and atmospheric sound field over the Atmos presentation. I observed this on many titles over the last year or so since I have Atmos, most are from Disney. Pity.
Your thoughts on the DTS Neural up-mixer are dead on. I have a 5.1.2 system with a pair of SVS Prime Elevations set up as Front Heights. I wanted to add another pair of Elevations to the back wall there's no way that I'm going to get anyone to come in and do the wiring through the attic right now. I have Audyssey configurations for the front elevations to be used as Top Fronts and Top Middles as well as Front Heights. My Denon AVR makes it easy to switch back and forth and I haven't settled on which setup I prefer. What I do know is that I often find myself using the Neural:X up-mixer with Dolby audio tracks. I find DTS, in general, to have a few dbs more volume and more a of a dynamic sound than Dolby. Like you I find that Dolby THD with DTS Neural:X can be quite quite a kick in the butt sonically. God willing, we'll all get through this crisis and then I can add the two additional Elevations to get a better feel for all of this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 03-28-2020 at 05:03 PM.
post #76 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
When I read that the the new version of The Last Jedi in the box set was going to be HDR10 only I was surprised at first but then not so much. It appears that Disney wanted all of the versions in the set to be uniform which I understand. I have the original release of TLJ and have watched it in both Dolby Vision and HDR10. I found that while the DV version was brighter, its colors were a bit under-saturated that the HDR10 version was darker but with better color saturation. I ended up boosting the TV's color setting by a number of ticks which made the DV image more pleasing to the eye. It sounds like the version of TLJ in the set has had new new encoding so it will be interesting to see how its HDR10 image compares to the its original release.

In regard to the box set, after watching a couple of the unboxing videos it struck me that while the package is very nice looking, it might have been better to keep the size down a bit. This beastie is 13.5 inches long. It will just fit in the bookcase with my other box/multi disc sets. I doubt that anyone is happy about the sleeves but it doesn't look the discs are that hard to pull out. Just have a microfiber cloth ready at all times to remove fingerprints.
post #77 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't understand the hate I see online. The worse of it by Star War fans. I saw the first 3 in the day. Like a lot of people ,loved them.
But look ,for any fans of Star wars or Star Trek to think these series will be like the ones of the past ,is honestly dumb and stupid. People need to have a open mind .How boring it would be if they tried to reproduce the Star Wars of the iv,v vii. Nobody who writes these screenplays would want to do that. Whenever I hear the hate ,I always say ...write it yourself, direct it yourself and watch the hate when it hits the screen. Everyone has there own take on Star wars Everyone see it different, it means something different to each person. The producers know that and know you won't please every person that see these films. The internet can be a toxic place ,everyone knows better then the next guy. People open minds ,open hearts.
post #78 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I'm highly skeptical of that. Dolby does a fantastic job, and it's also dynamic tonemapping.

HDR, with it's bright peak output, is designed to be viewed in a pitch black room. That's what I do, so I'm going to have to say you should absolutely want that.

Something tells me they don't rival my OLED 😜
You would be surprised at how great the black levels on these JVC projectors. Sure OLED has the best black levels available, but I prefer my setup.

As I mentioned, there are many ways to tone map that rival Dolby Vision and even best it. A Lumagen HDR Process is one, and one that I will add to my setup at some point.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #79 of 143 Old 03-28-2020, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3474 Post(s)
Liked: 2400
I picked up the collection on 4K the other day. Me and my son started on EP3 and going through the whole collection. We watched EP IV ( Havent that one for a long while ) last night but you can see the detail on Vader’s Mask storm troopers etc. Today Empire and we continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #80 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All of my UHD’s arrived yesterday from Disney Movie Club. When I opened the box, I realized I had forgotten to order Return of the Jedi . I went ahead and placed an order for it on Amazon.

I haven’t decided in what order I watch them yet, but I can’t wait!

post #81 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2510 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Apparently the a Star Wars track wasn’t the best possible. I thought it great but lacked the ‘bubble’ of the best Atmos tracks.

From Peter (Cineramax) ultra Toomerssive Atmos-o-Phil’s

“ What a great atmos track compared to the star wars. Warner, Sony, Paramount and Lionsgate are the best studios releasing full bandwidth atmos content.” He’s referring to the excellent Atmos track of Birds of Prey.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #82 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7531 Post(s)
Liked: 17143
My Rise of Skywalker disc arrived today. Couple days early. On a Sunday. By FedEx. So that's nice. Saw this in the theater and enjoyed it. JJ had the difficult task of not only wrapping up a saga that began 40+ years ago, but also undoing the mess that is The Last Jedi (I shudder just typing that title. Ugh!) Looking forward to firing this up in the ol' HT soon. Now off to wash my hands.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

Last edited by Waboman; 03-29-2020 at 01:28 PM.
post #83 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
My Rise of Skywalker disc arrived today. Couple days early. On a Sunday. By FedEx. So that's nice. Saw this in the theater and enjoyed it. JJ had the difficult task of not only wrapping up a saga that began 40+ years ago, but also undoing the mess that is The Last Jedi (I shudder just typing that title. Ugh!) Looking forward to firing this up in the ol' HT soon. Now off to wash my hands.

We’re deciding wether to skip that Wabo. We’re up to force awaken just finished watching ROTJ last night.

We might go through the whole marvel after this lol

Dave Vaughn and Tom Riddle like this.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #84 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7531 Post(s)
Liked: 17143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
We’re deciding wether to skip that Wabo. We’re up to force awaken just finished watching ROTJ last night.

We might go through the whole marvel after this lol

I say skip it, Franin. It'll take the fun out of watching the movies with your kids. In fact, I sold my copy. Since I've purged TLJ from my SWU I figured I know longer need the disc. It was like trying to get rid of the bad luck tiki idol Bobby took when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii.
Dave Vaughn and RagtopFE like this.

post #85 of 143 Old 03-29-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I say skip it, Franin. It'll take the fun out of watching the movies with your kids. In fact, I sold my copy. Since I've purged TLJ from my SWU I figured I know longer need the disc. It was like trying to get rid of the bad luck tiki idol Bobby took when the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii.

Ha ha we watched that episode of the Brady Bunch a month Ago. Poor Greg could of drowned.

Yeah regarding TLJ im trying too convince my son in skipping it.

Dave Vaughn and RagtopFE like this.

God Bless!
post #86 of 143 Old 03-30-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:

My son is wise for a 12 year old he actually told me we should skip TLJ.
Dave Vaughn and Tom Riddle like this.

God Bless!
post #87 of 143 Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Picked up my copy via. Best Buy Curb Service.

Love the visuals, sound and story.

A great way to end the saga.

LG OLED55B7A
Samsung HT-BD2ST (7.2 Channels)
Xbox One X 1TB
DirecTV Genie HR54 & Genie Client C61K
post #88 of 143 Old 03-31-2020, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5616 Post(s)
Liked: 6084
Thanks for the review @Ralph Potts !! We just finished 2 back to back viewings and thought the visuals and audio track were great overall. The JVC did a great job digging deep in the low APL scenes with good shadow detail and the end battle scene was an HDR feast!!

The ATMOS track was excellent as well, great overall use of the overheads and surrounds and the bass hit hard when needed with very nice enhancements from the Bass EQ folks here on the forum. MiniDSP HD is my new HT best bud.

I saw this as a kid in 1977 and glad to see the finale after all these years. I know it's not for everyone but personally enjoyed it quite a bit and will definitely watch it again soon. Rogue One UHD is next!! love that movie!

post #89 of 143 Old 03-31-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Thanks Ralph. This is another great review. I purchased this today at Target, but I have since found out it was in 3D so I am going to take my blu-ray back and order the 3D version. I can't wait to watch it.
Ralph Potts and Tom Riddle like this.
post #90 of 143 Old 03-31-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Thanks Ralph. This is another great review. I purchased this today at Target, but I have since found out it was in 3D so I am going to take my blu-ray back and order the 3D version. I can't wait to watch it.
Having seen both, the HDR is probably better, but the 3D is pretty good too

Tom Riddle likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page