Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278Likes

post #91 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked: 4390
After shoveling my self out, of 10" of snow. I went to get my 4K copy, and to my pleasantly surprise. All Star Wars movies, were available in 4K (with the exception of the "The Last Jedi" and "Solo" and will buy them when available) with Atmos to boot. So I rebought the whole the series, with the exception of the prequel. Walk in to buy one movie, and walk out with six of them

I love how this last chapter of this Saga, come to a close. And must point out, to fully comprehend this one since all things come together. Watching the last Jedi is a must, as it is big part of this story closure.
No complain at all, about the Story/Sound (including the bass) and picture Quality. And hope all the other ones, have the same remastering quality.

As the show "Forged in Fire" would say, this movie will Please

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 04-02-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Having seen both, the HDR is probably better, but the 3D is pretty good too

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
Your television has both HDR and 3D? The only reason I refuse to go 4K is I like 3D, most times.
post #93 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7705 Post(s)
Liked: 17490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
My son is wise for a 12 year old he actually told me we should skip TLJ.
Wise beyond his years, your son is.

Advertisement

post #94 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
So I did re watch this with Atmos sound, and it was very much a disappointing experience for me. Not only it didn't best the lossy Amazon DD+ DSU track I heard a few weeks back, it actually sounded smaller and more screen heavy. Lot of the overhead effects were more "discrete" and pronounced on the DSU mixed DD+ track than on the Atmos, the sole exception was with Palpatine's voice when he first spoke to Ren. Generally speaking playing just the Dolby THD mix with the DTS Neural x upmixer yielded a better more open and atmospheric sound field over the Atmos presentation. I observed this on many titles over the last year or so since I have Atmos, most are from Disney. Pity.
Maybe your expectation of ATMOS is too great. I watched Saving Private Ryan again last night, and I have not heard an ATMOS soundtrack to equal its 5.1 DTS-HD sound. I will never own ATMOS as I don't believe in the object based philosophy because it does not mimic reality in my humble opinion. Plus, I would never sell a 10k processor just to get ATMOS. The clarity of the sound is more important than the number of speakers in your system.
darthray likes this.
post #95 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3641 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The force is strong with the young padawan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
darthray and Tom Riddle like this.

God Bless!
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work.
post #96 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have one waiting at Best Buy but not sure if they are open. They didn’t answer the phone preCOVID.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #97 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
The force is strong with the young padawan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LOL

While "The Last Jedi" could have been so much better, I still enjoy-it for what it was.
And like my previous said, this movie is a big part of this story. For the way all the main character story, end-up in this last chapter of the Saga.

Darth
Tom Riddle likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 04-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.
post #98 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Definitely agree the best looking SW film on disc
Ralph Potts, gbaby and tenthplanet like this.
post #99 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Your television has both HDR and 3D? The only reason I refuse to go 4K is I like 3D, most times.
Yes it does (LG C6), but I saw the 3D in the theater. I ordered both but it'll take a while to receive the 3D one since I have to import that and international orders are delayed due to this pandemic right now.

Looks like I gave the 3D an 8, and the HDR a 9 for this one. Most of the time I prefer 3D as well, but not this time.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #100 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtomp View Post
Definitely agree the best looking SW film on disc
I would say The Force Awakens slightly beats TROS in terms of HDR.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #101 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I would say The Force Awakens slightly beats TROS in terms of HDR.

I look forward to that experience. My reference was to R. Potts review in regards to the filmmakers choice of models and special effects.
morphinapg likes this.
post #102 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2836 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musty Hustla View Post
I have one waiting at Best Buy but not sure if they are open. They didn’t answer the phone preCOVID.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-glo...t1584713369767

They claim to offer a curbside service. Haven't tried it.

If I understand correctly, you could just drive up, and an employee would bring it out.

If you try it, please let us know.
doni01 likes this.
post #103 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musty Hustla View Post

I ordered online with curbside pickup option. It was great. Website said in stock, placed my order, had a pick up confirmation at 8:30am. Store didn't open until 10. Showed up, gave my name and what i was picking up, they said "hold on". I chatted with the curbside person, then someone exited behind them with my order. I offered my trader joes bag for them to place the product and bob's your uncle.
Ralph Potts and Craig Peer like this.
post #104 of 186 Old 03-31-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
... If you try it, please let us know.
I used it today. There is a link in the email that they send you to inform you that your order is ready to pick up. You just pull in to one of there numbered spots. Click the link and tell them what spot you’re in. Then bingo they produce your item and you’re on your way.

Easy as pie.
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #105 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it does (LG C6), but I saw the 3D in the theater. I ordered both but it'll take a while to receive the 3D one since I have to import that and international orders are delayed due to this pandemic right now.

Looks like I gave the 3D an 8, and the HDR a 9 for this one. Most of the time I prefer 3D as well, but not this time.
There is something wrong with me as I ordered the Last Jedi in 3D, and I had to cancel it once I realized it was the wrong disc. My mind must be playing tricks on me. Regardless, I cracked open the blu-ray I purchased from Target, and watched this last night. Since I had a hard time following the story, I concentrated on the picture and sound quality. My opinion of this disc is that it had a very balanced sound and picture. In fact, I found the sound to be both smooth and powerful. As noted by Ralph, you had to crank it up slightly, but you are rewarded with an excellent overall sound devoid of any distortion. I also thought the picture quality was excellent throughout with the blacks being very black without that dark crush. Colors were accurate looking too.I can't say that this is the best looking Star Wars without a direct comparison, but while viewing it, I kept thinking this may be the best looking Star Wars movie. Its as if every flaw from past Star Wars movies was corrected in this film. The sound also manifested discreet rear action that sometimes get lost in other movie soundtracks. Overall, this was a stellar picture and soundtrack. Now, I will have to view it again so I can understand the movie with all its different sub plots.
post #106 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
Quote:
Maybe your expectation of ATMOS is too great.
or maybe you just didn't get the meaning of my post.
Quote:
I watched Saving Private Ryan again last night, and I have not heard an ATMOS soundtrack to equal its 5.1 DTS-HD sound.
That's because you never owned one such set up.
Quote:
I will never own ATMOS as I don't believe in the object based philosophy because it does not mimic reality in my humble opinion.
It's not a philosophy and requires no believes.
Quote:
Plus, I would never sell a 10k processor just to get ATMOS. The clarity of the sound is more important than the number of speakers in your system.
Oh the truth comes out isn't there, you believe in "other philosophy's that do require a real faith and devotion: audiophilia nervosa.
Noted.
Tom Riddle likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #107 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
or maybe you just didn't get the meaning of my post.

That's because you never owned one such set up.

It's not a philosophy and requires no believes.

Oh the truth comes out isn't there, you believe in "other philosophy's that do require a real faith and devotion: audiophilia nervosa.
Noted.
Hun, I don't think I misinterpreted your post. What you were saying is that the Atmos soundtrack was not good. Regardless, while I don't own Atmos, I have several friends who own it and I still regularly visit home theater stores that feature high end Atmos. I just don't like sound coming from the ceiling so Atmos does not impress me. Its a gee wiz effect to me especially when I see action on the ground level horizontally but sound is coming from the ceiling. Its a personal thing. And, you are correct, replacing a 10k processor to get a new codec that doesn't impress me is a non starter for me. Also, I like music sound over movie sound so Ill just keep my Bryston SP3 for music and enjoy its 7.1 sound which suits me fine. Rather than even consider ATMOS, I invested in a Bryston BDP3 digital audio player and a Bryston BDA-3 D/A converter. I couldn't be happier.
post #108 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked: 1855
Quote:
Hun, I don't think I misinterpreted your post. What you were saying is that the Atmos soundtrack was not good. Regardless, while I don't own Atmos, I have several friends who own it and I still regularly visit home theater stores that feature high end Atmos. I just don't like sound coming from the ceiling so Atmos does not impress me. Its a gee wiz effect to me especially when I see action on the ground level horizontally but sound is coming from the ceiling. Its a personal thing. And, you are correct, replacing a 10k processor to get a new codec that doesn't impress me is a non starter for me. Also, I like music sound over movie sound so Ill just keep my Bryston SP3 for music and enjoy its 7.1 sound which suits me fine. Rather than even consider ATMOS, I invested in a Bryston BDP3 digital audio player and a Bryston BDA-3 D/A converter. I couldn't be happier.
You’ve been the through the wrong stores or have the friends with poor set ups.

Properly set up, the spatial effects, pans, and ambiance is superior to 7.1 in every way. More channels equals more precision in the sound field. It’s pretty simple math.

The Bryston a great SSP but until you’ve heard it properly set up, you don’t know what you’re missing.

.... but ignorance is bliss!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #109 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Properly set up, the spatial effects, pans, and ambiance is superior to 7.1 in every way. More channels equals more precision in the sound field. It’s pretty simple math.

The Bryston a great SSP but until you’ve heard it properly set up, you don’t know what you’re missing.

You are correct ignorance is quite blissful. I'm blissful knowing that my small room serves as s home theater and listening room, and I don't have speakers hanging in the ceiling aesthetically screwing up my living room and ceiling. It depends on how big is your room. Again, you can keep Atmos. I'm fine. You have to draw the line. I can enjoy vicariously through you knowing at some point you will post how you have 20 speaker up and down the room so you can hear sound all the way around. Better you than me as I have other interest.
post #110 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtomp View Post
I ordered online with curbside pickup option. It was great. Website said in stock, placed my order, had a pick up confirmation at 8:30am. Store didn't open until 10. Showed up, gave my name and what i was picking up, they said "hold on". I chatted with the curbside person, then someone exited behind them with my order. I offered my trader joes bag for them to place the product and bob's your uncle.

I decided to drive over since I was already out. They were open and curb pickup was smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #111 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

+1

I sold my previous AVP, that cost me $4000. To get one with Atmos/DTS:X, and never did regret my decision.
While some movies are better, than the other for Atmos content. I always those, that are done properly. Fury been the best one, so far;
https://www.avforums.com/reviews/fur...y-review.14959
The battle scenes, put you right in the middle of the action. With my 7.1.4 (two subs), also know as 7.2.4

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 04-01-2020 at 04:26 PM.
post #112 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 7196
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
+1

I sold my previous AVP, that cost me $4000. To get one with Atmos/DTS:X, and never did regret my decision.
While some movies are better, than the other for Atmos content.

Personally, the difference from 7.1 to 5.1.2 for me was like going from stereo to surround sound!

And I only have upfiring speakers!
post #113 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
After shoveling my self out, of 10" of snow. I went to get my 4K copy, and to my pleasantly surprise. All Star Wars movies, were available in 4K (with the exception of the "The Last Jedi" and "Solo" and will buy them when available) with Atmos to boot. So I rebought the whole the series, with the exception of the prequel. Walk in to buy one movie, and walk out with six of them

I love how this last chapter of this Saga, come to a close. And must point out, to fully comprehend this one since all things come together. Watching the last Jedi is a must, as it is big part of this story closure.
No complain at all, about the Story/Sound (including the bass) and picture Quality. And hope all the other ones, have the same remastering quality.

As the show "Forge in Fire" would say, this movie will Please

Darth
Ah, but will it kill, and what about the sharpness test.
darthray and Rob Greer like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #114 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Received the Skywalker Saga today. Watched The Rise of Skywalker this evening.

It was less twisted than The Last Jedi, although the writing wasn't the best. The audio was OK, although as Ralph already remarked, I had to turn up the gain a few dB to achieve a normal level.

The one thing I really hated was the packaging of the set. The disks fit tightly in cardboard sleeves. I had to haul them out by grabbing the edge of the disk between thumb and forefinger. That's no way to treat a shiny disk. I also expected the disks to come in two packages. Instead, they came in a double-length box that won't fit in standard storage. I guess that the boxed set is supposed to have pride of place. Pfui. Makes me wish I'd purchased the disks individually. I could live without the bonus disks (which are BD only).

The UHD disks now reside in spare CD low profile jewel cases.
Ralph Potts and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 04-01-2020 at 09:38 PM.
post #115 of 186 Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought The Rise of Skywalker in 4K at BestBuy yesterday and I thought the movie was great, the audio was really good but I think they definitely miss used the low frequency effects. Some scenes I thought for sure my sub will be getting a workout only to be disappointed. I thought they did a good job with the film overall.

To the Atmos debate - if I had a HT room its an easy decision to set it up for atmos with height speakers but in a living room HT its hard to justify height speakers because how it looks in the room, a really good 5.1 set up delivers a great movie experience.
gbaby likes this.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR
Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds
Rythmic E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung HU8550

Last edited by Wade.; 04-01-2020 at 09:06 PM.
post #116 of 186 Old 04-02-2020, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Received the Skywalker Saga today. Watched The Rise of Skywalker this evening.

It was less twisted than The Last Jedi, although the writing wasn't the best. The audio was OK, although as Ralph already remarked, I had to turn up the gain a few dB to achieve a normal level.

The one thing I really hated was the packaging of the set. The disks fit tightly in cardboard sleeves. I had to haul them out by grabbing the edge of the disk between thumb and forefinger. That's no way to treat a shiny disk. I also expected the disks to come in two packages. Instead, they came in a double-length box that won't fit in standard storage. I guess that the boxed set is supposed to have pride of place. Pfui. Makes me wish I'd purchased the disks individually. I could live without the bonus disks (which are BD only).

The UHD disks now reside in spare CD low profile jewel cases.
Yeah, I’m not a fan of those types of packaging. I had the Skywalker set on preorder, but cancelled it in favor of ordering them as individual releases through Disney Movie Club. I ended up saving quite a bit, as I got each disc after the first at half price.
darthray likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #117 of 186 Old 04-02-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Ah, but will it kill, and what about the sharpness test.
While the picture was nice to look at, it could have been sharper. Mostly due, for the choice of film during filming. And therefore, the transfer cannot be blame.

The overall volume did had to be raise, since the movies was recorded on the low side. Ralph @Ralph Potts , mention that he had to raise his main volume by 4dB. And came to the same conclusion, since mine was +5dB. Once the level was raise, it was perfect for overall balance between all the speakers and sub/s level. There was one scene, near the water. Where the Death Star had fallen, after been destroy in Episode IV. That will give your subwoofer/s, a good work out.

Overall, well done

Darth
tenthplanet likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 04-02-2020 at 06:17 AM.
post #118 of 186 Old 04-02-2020, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-glo...t1584713369767

They claim to offer a curbside service. Haven't tried it.

If I understand correctly, you could just drive up, and an employee would bring it out.

If you try it, please let us know.
Hi Bob,
You stand correct on the curbside service. I tried it yesterday. Purchased Ford vs Ferrari on line and it was ready in store within 30 min. Drove to the store ( Meriden ) and someone from the store was waiting outside with my movie in hand. Showed my ID and picked up the movie. Great movie by the way
bobknavs likes this.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR7012 | Emotiva BassX A-300 | Ascend CMT-340 SE Front L/C/R | Klipsch R-14S Surround Side L/R | Klipsch R-41M Surround Rear L/R | Klipsch CDT-3650-C ii Atmos | Dual Monolith 12 Subwoofers | Sony BDP-S6700 | Minix NEO U9-H |

Music: Denon AVR-S910W | Klipsch RP8000F | Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer |
post #119 of 186 Old 04-02-2020, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Hi Bob,
You stand correct on the curbside service. I tried it yesterday. Purchased Ford vs Ferrari on line and it was ready in store within 30 min. Drove to the store ( Meriden ) and someone from the store was waiting outside with my movie in hand. Showed my ID and picked up the movie. Great movie by the way
Thanks for your post.
post #120 of 186 Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Yeah, I’m not a fan of those types of packaging. I had the Skywalker set on preorder, but cancelled it in favor of ordering them as individual releases through Disney Movie Club. I ended up saving quite a bit, as I got each disc after the first at half price.
I was unaware of the existence of the Disney Movie Club.

I see that its function is like that of the book clubs I recall from the 80s, where the club would send you a book every month unless you actively refused each book. (Book club books were also more cheaply made than regular hardcovers.)

That'd be a lot less annoying these days because I presume that the communication would be online rather than by US mail.

I doubt that I'd join the Disney Movie Club, but thanks for letting us know of its existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page