The Call of the Wild Movie Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 2 Post By GalvatronType_R
  • 1 Post By Mattopotamus
  • 4 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By rdgrimes
  • 1 Post By dnoonie
  • 1 Post By NCCaniac
  • 1 Post By WOLVERNOLE
  • 2 Post By JeffR1
  • 1 Post By djoberg
  • 1 Post By tjenkins95
  • 3 Post By darthray

post #1 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
The Call of the Wild Movie Review

Adapted from the novel by Jack London, The Call of the Wild tells the story of Buck, a big-hearted dog whose blissful domestic life is turned upside down when he is suddenly uprooted from his California home and transplanted to the exotic wilds of the Canadian Yukon. Blu-ray reviewer Ralph Potts had to opportunity to check out the Digital release and offers his thoughts on the film.

My Thoughts:

Adapted from the novel by Jack London, it vividly brings to the screen the story of Buck, a big-hearted dog whose blissful domestic life is turned upside down when he is suddenly uprooted from his California home and transplanted to the exotic wilds of the Canadian Yukon during the Gold Rush of the 1890s. As the newest rookie on a mail delivery dog sled team — and later its leader — Buck experiences the adventure of a lifetime, ultimately finding his true place in the world and becoming his own master.

If I am being honest, the trailer for The Call of the Wild didn’t leave me hankering to see it. After hearing positive feedback from some that had seen it, my interest level went up and, I am glad it did. This is a fun adventure story that revolves around Buck’s journey of self-discovery as his various encounters lead him to find the place where he was destined to be. I haven’t read Jack London’s novel but, that didn’t prevent me from connecting to the story and enjoying its whimsical and heartwarming tale that is ultimately about two old souls seeking answers.

The Call of the Wild isn’t a perfect film, narratively speaking but, it takes aim at its subject matter and more often than not hits the target. I recall being put off by the obvious use of CGI in the trailer but, after seeing the film, felt that it worked quite well given the nature of the telling. I found the approach to its execution, in Buck’s case, was very interesting (you’ll have to check out the bonus features to see what I mean).

Harrison Ford didn’t have as big a part as I thought but, made the most of it when his character entered the story. I really like Omar Sy and enjoyed his performance, along with Cara Gee’s. The small supporting characters played by Bradley Whitford, Jean Louisa Kelly and Karen Gillan weren’t a factor. Dan Stevens as the heavy/villain during the final act didn’t work at all but, it wasn’t substantial enough to detract that much.

When the credits rolled my wife and I looked at each other said the same thing, “that was better than expected”. The Call of the Wild is solid family entertainment that has a little something for kids and their parents. Easily worth the price of admission.

In light of the fact that this digital version included a Dolby Atmos soundtrack I wanted to offer my thoughts on the sound:

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and music. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. During the first act, there are several instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field.

Beginning with the scene aboard the ship, there are a host of sounds that utilize the overhead channels, creating an involving listening experience. This continues with the film’s action-based sequences, most notably during the avalanche, which conveys the breadth/expanse of the soundstage as the track bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. I also found that this applied to mood setting scenes such as the one at night where Buck and John travel down the calm river.

Overall, I would say that viewing The Call of the Wild via the Dolby Atmos mix definitely heightened the experience of watching the film.

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Digital Code I received for The Call of the Wild wasn’t for Ultra HD. I redeemed it on Movies Everywhere/iTunes which was the 1080p version with Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound. In addition to its engaging sound, I found the quality of the streaming video to be excellent. I am uncertain whether or not the Ultra HD/Blu-ray version will be forthcoming given the current circumstances but, I hope to receive a copy.

The Digital version also included the bonus features which is welcomed. My rating for the film, and bonus content is below.

Film:

Bonus Features:

Blu-ray/DVD Release Date: May 12, 2020

Bonus Features:
  • • A Man and His Dog (Digital Exclusive)
    • Origins
    • The On-Set Experience
    • State of the Art
    • The World of the Wild

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
dnoonie likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Like you, Ralph, the trailer did not motivate me to seek this one out, but glad to hear you enjoyed it so will check it out at some point.

On a different topic...are you not listing overall star ratings on your reviews any more or is there just something preventing that from showing up in the posts?
Ralph Potts likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #3 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Yet another mailed in listless performance from Harrison Ford. He's the in the Bruce Willis phase of his career, collecting paychecks and couldn't care less. Why does he keep getting acting jobs when there are other older actors who still care and take the craft seriously?

Also, PETA should protest that a real dog lost a job and doggie treats to a CGI abomination.
Dave Vaughn and edved1 like this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Like you, Ralph, the trailer did not motivate me to seek this one out, but glad to hear you enjoyed it so will check it out at some point.

On a different topic...are you not listing overall star ratings on your reviews any more or is there just something preventing that from showing up in the posts?
It is below the ATMOS rating, where it normally is above it. He gave it a 3.5.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Greetings,

With the current state of affairs receiving physical media from the studios' fulfillment houses (mostly located in southern California) for review is predominantly on hold. I have been able to get some of the digital versions for coverage which enables me to share them with the community here. Since these are not full/typical A/V Blu-ray reviews I have omitting certain aspects of my standard review template.

If you note there are ratings for the film and bonus material and, if relevant (such as in this case) ratings for the audio (Atmos track).

Any reviews that I post where I have received review physical review product are the same as always. Hopefully things will soon get to a point where physical review product becomes readily accessible.

Stay Safe..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4090 Post(s)
Liked: 3407
I have to say that I have zero interest in seeing a CG animal ever again. Makes no difference how good the movie is. Make an animated feature or a live action one, mixing the two just ruins it for me.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Thanks for the review! In my Netflix queue!

I was a fan of the book as a kid and this sounds like a half decent rendering. There is also the complementary White Fang (kind of this story in reverse) that I enjoyed.

John Wick 3 is a good dogs in movie example that shows that live animals in movies can be done well, it's a bit disappointing the animals (some/all?) are CGI but I'll check it out all the same!

Stay well!
Ralph Potts likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)

Last edited by dnoonie; 04-21-2020 at 12:23 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

With the current state of affairs receiving physical media from the studios' fulfillment houses (mostly located in southern California) for review is predominantly on hold. I have been able to get some of the digital versions for coverage which enables me to share them with the community here. Since these are not full/typical A/V Blu-ray reviews I have omitting certain aspects of my standard review template.

If you note there are ratings for the film and bonus material and, if relevant (such as in this case) ratings for the audio (Atmos track).

Any reviews that I post where I have received review physical review product are the same as always. Hopefully things will soon get to a point where physical review product becomes readily accessible.

Stay Safe..
Sure thing, Ralph. Believe me, I was not complaining...just curious. I guess I skimmed it quickly enough to miss that you were reviewing the digital film and not a physical disk. We are just glad you can still do reviews in the middle of all of this. Hope you and yours are staying safe also!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #9 of 19 Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Well I am going to sound like the old geezer that I am now, but I just cannot bring myself to watch a Harrison Ford + some CGI (or whatever they call it) compared to what I considered a classic with Clark Gable and (I think) Loretta Young (a young Young). B&W ? Yes, but the on-screen chemistry plus the acting was something really special.
Hmmm, I may try this, through gritted teeth.
Anyone else recall the old, old version I speak of? An oldie but goodie.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-22-2020, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I found this to be not a bad watch for the middle of the week.
As with some here, I went in a bit apprehensive about the CGI animals, but it was OK, but somehow I felt in doing so, they "insulted" the original and somewhat hammered the credibility if this new one.

Even with that though, I enjoyed the performances of the humans, but honestly I watched it because Harrison Ford was in it, but I realized later that was just a draw to get one to rent it.
After forgiving them that nasty little trick, I sat back and I did enjoy it.
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-28-2020, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
Wait, since when is a streaming portal like iTunes supports lossless tracks like True HD? It had to be DD+/Atmos.

Quote:
The Digital Code I received for The Call of the Wild wasn’t for Ultra HD. I redeemed it on Movies Everywhere/iTunes which was the 1080p version with Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #12 of 19 Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Wait, since when is a streaming portal like iTunes supports lossless tracks like True HD? It had to be DD+/Atmos.

Greetings,

I couldn't say with certainty but, it's a 7.1 channel/Atmos track. I haven't heard of a lossy derivative of Atmos hence my comments in the review. I have covered several other streaming titles that contain Atmos sound as well.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 19 Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I couldn't say with certainty but, it's a 7.1 channel/Atmos track. I haven't heard of a lossy derivative of Atmos hence my comments in the review. I have covered several other streaming titles that contain Atmos sound as well.

Regards,
As far delivering the Atmos metadata it won't matter if it's lossy or not as far as what you would perceive of the sound especially of the rendering, I was just curious since I never heard of any streaming service to use lossless containers like DTHD. DD+ can have up to 7.1 bed channels BTW.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #14 of 19 Old 04-28-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
As far delivering the Atmos metadata it won't matter if it's lossy or not as far as what you would perceive of the sound especially of the rendering, I was just curious since I never heard of any streaming service to use lossless containers like DTHD. DD+ can have up to 7.1 bed channels BTW.

Greetings,

Yes, of that I am aware. I will look into it and if I find out anything worthy of note, I will follow up here. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 19 Old 05-16-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 2369
Thanks for the good review Ralph.

I rented this yesterday and thought it was excellent "family entertainment." The PQ was exceptional...sharp as a tack with plenty of mesmerizing details and appreciable depth. I was distracted by the CGI of the animals when they were running or jumping but it was quite amazing when they were still or hardly moving. All in all, decent rental but I may not buy it.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #16 of 19 Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Thanks for the good review Ralph.

I rented this yesterday and thought it was excellent "family entertainment." The PQ was exceptional...sharp as a tack with plenty of mesmerizing details and appreciable depth. I was distracted by the CGI of the animals when they were running or jumping but it was quite amazing when they were still or hardly moving. All in all, decent rental but I may not buy it.
I tried very hard to like this movie but the GGI version of Buck was too distracting for me. I made it about 30 minutes and had to turn it off. For such a classic tale it is too bad that they did not use real dogs.

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-21-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 2369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post
I tried very hard to like this movie but the GGI version of Buck was too distracting for me. I made it about 30 minutes and had to turn it off. For such a classic tale it is too bad that they did not use real dogs.

Ray
I absolutely agree with you and that's why I'm glad I RENTED it. I will NOT be BUYING it!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18 of 19 Old 06-12-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the CGI. My wife and I lasted about 20 min. I thought I could but...
post #19 of 19 Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 4542
To be honest, I had no intention to get this one and did not buy-it on that day. The next day, my Wife bought it and told me she did not care what I was thinking. Since her intention was watch it with our daughter, and granddaughter when they would come to visit

Well that day did come, and gave away all my sitting position to them. And got myself a kitchen chair, to sit behind.

I most say, that I was wrong. While not while worth a second spin to me, it was enjoyable watch

Darth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page