Birds of Prey: And the Fantabuolus Emancipation of One Harley Quinn Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 3 Post By Kini62
  • 2 Post By SuperFist
  • 2 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 4 Post By willieconway
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By Emaych
  • 2 Post By Cal1981
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Cal1981
  • 1 Post By erick granato
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By dnoonie
  • 1 Post By trilkb
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Birds of Prey: And the Fantabuolus Emancipation of One Harley Quinn Blu-ray Review

You ever hear the one about the cop, the songbird, the psycho and the mafia princess? "Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" is a twisted tale told by Harley herself, as only Harley can tell it. Ralph Potts reviews the Blu-ray release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2019
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 109 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Thriller/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Margot Robbie, Ewan McGregor, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smolette-Bell, Rosie Perez, Chris Messina
Directed by: Cathy Yan
Music by: Daniel Pemberton
Written by: Christina Hodson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 12, 2020

"Mayhem at its Finest!"

Synopsis:

“When Gotham’s most nefariously narcissistic villain, Roman Sionis (Ewan McGregor), and his zealous right-hand, Zsasz (Chris Messina), put a target on a young girl named Cass (Ella Jay Basco), the city is turned upside down looking for her. Harley (Margot Robbie), Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell) and Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez)’s paths collide, and the unlikely foursome have no choice but to team up to take Roman down.” – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

My Take:

It's open season on Harley Quinn when her explosive breakup with the Joker puts a big fat target on her back. Unprotected and on the run, Quinn faces the wrath of narcissistic crime boss Roman Sionis aka Black Mask, his right-hand man, Victor Zsasz, and every other thug in the city looking to even the score. But things soon even out for Harley when she becomes unexpected allies with three deadly women -- Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya, in an effort to protect a young thief and prevent Roman from obtaining a gem that could make him the city’s richest crime lord.

I am far from being well versed in the characters of the DC Universe. My first taste of Harley Quinn was in DC’s 2016 film Suicide Squad. I did enjoy the role the character played in the film and Margot Robbie’s take. As such, I thought that Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn looked like it might be fun.

I liked the film’s frenetic narrative which places focus on Harley Quinn’s penchant for unscrupulous behavior and narcissistic ramblings. The plot is pretty thin in general but, then again, it serves the rule breaking tone of the story fairly well. There is a guilty pleasure theme that underscores the banality but, I found that to be part of the charm of Birds of Prey. The action is more or less over the top which, worked and, the production elements are spot on.

Margot Robbie owns the character which is a good thing, seeing as she has the lions share of the screen time. The supporting character base was a mixed bag. Ewan McGregor is a great character actor and made the most of what he had to work with here which wasn’t much. I am a big Mary Elizabeth Winstead fan. The Huntress just didn’t get enough screen time to be a factor despite her being the film’s most interesting character behind Harley Quinn. The weakest and most annoying of the lot is the subplot/character of Renee Montoya played by the equally annoying Rosie Perez.

Anyway, despite a few quibbles, I had a good time with Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn and look forward to giving it another spin.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence and language throughout, and some sexual and drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Video: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and overtly glossy video quality. There are instances where brighter colors/elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images lean toward imagery that provides the thematic look intended to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is excellent overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is a solid high definition presentation that looked great on my large screen.

Birds of Prey has a solid 7.1 channel surround track, so I wondered how much the immersive experience would improve upon it. In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made effective use of the platform. Its use of audio objects is a mix atmospherics, discrete effects and ambient music bleed. This creates an appreciable level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events.

Beginning with the film’s opening followed by the destruction of Ace’s chemical plant, there are instances where the mix generates a noticeable improvement in dimension and depth of field as the track conveys the breadth/expanse of interiors/exterior venues, flying debris and nearfield sounds. Things ramp up when the action kicks as the soundstage bristles with enveloping ambience and discretely placed effects. The encounter at the police station and the standoff in the finale are good examples. While these sequences sound very good in 7.1, they are taken to the next level in the Amos mix.

The lossless 7.1 soundtrack has solid dynamic range, detail rich clarity, and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich and, room shuddering bass associated with the action-based sequences. Dialog is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. I enjoyed this audio presentation and thought that it mated perfectly with the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • • Birds Eye View Mode
    • Birds of Prey: Birds of a Feather
    • Grime and Crime
    • Wild Nerds
    • Romanesque
    • Sanity is Sooo Last Season
    • A Love/Skate Relationship
    • Gag Reel
  • DVD
  • Digital

Final Thoughts:

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn isn’t the best film to come out of the DC Film Universe but, it’s not the worst and, features an eclectic blend of action, humor and thrills that kept me entertained. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video, including a solid Dolby Atmos surround mix and a solid supplemental package. Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn is pure popcorn entertainment and is especially recommended for fans of the character as played by Margot Robbie. If you’re curious toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
SuperFist, dnoonie and darthray like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-04-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2945 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
I know everyone's tastes are different but, 3.5 "stars" ?????

I give it 0 "stars". Easily the worst movie I've seen in the last 5 years. I lost interest in the first 5 minutes and it went downhill from there. I thought I was into the movie for at least an hour, paused it and found I was only 15 minutes in.

The only good thing about the movie was that it eventually ended.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 7493
Thank you for your review, Ralph!

I appreciate your enjoyment of this movie, though I didn't share your feelings about it. However, since it was the Dolby Digital version, I might want to give this another whirl with the Dolby Atmos presentation. And I would like to add that sometimes our mood and the time of day affects our enjoyment and/or lack of enjoyment of a film or series. I will say my mood has gotten harder to please since the quarantine.

Proofreading:

2nd paragraph under "My Take": Mt first taste...

I believe "Mt" should be "My".
Ralph Potts and dnoonie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Thank you for your review, Ralph!

I appreciate your enjoyment of this movie, though I didn't share your feelings about it. However, since it was the Dolby Digital version, I might want to give this another whirl with the Dolby Atmos presentation. And I would like to add that sometimes our mood and the time of day affects our enjoyment and/or lack of enjoyment of a film or series. I will say my mood has gotten harder to please since the quarantine.

Proofreading:

2nd paragraph under "My Take": Mt first taste...

I believe "Mt" should be "My".
Greetings,

Thanks for catching that typo SF. It reads correctly now..

As for the film, yes, sometimes ones mood can make or break the enjoyment of a film. We each have a threshold level for certain types of guilty pleasure movies. I can appreciate everyone's point of view but, generally have a harder time when someone takes issue with a film that they haven't seen.

Anyway, catch you on the next one..

Regards,
SuperFist and Dave Vaughn like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #5 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I rented this on digital a few weeks ago. It's good fun and doesn't take itself seriously. Also, the marketing is pretty accurate. There shouldn't be any surprises in terms of the kind of movie you're getting.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #6 of 22 Old 05-04-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 4542
post #7 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,
We each have a threshold level for certain types of guilty pleasure movies.
Regards,
Thanks for the review, as always, Ralph!
Have not seen this one yet, but one observation you made sharply diminishes my anticipation to see it:

Quote:
This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and overtly glossy video quality.
My threshold for inanity I would characterize as fairly low, but sometimes it is all about the execution. Just watched LUCY again (probably fifth time or so) in fabulous 4K! In a somewhat similar vein to the present effort, inasmuch as it revels in larger-than-life distaff super-capabilities. The electric vibrancy of the image quality in LUCY might be just one pronounced difference.

Without your review, just judging from the cover art, one might think BIRDS was replete with gushing saturated color bursting forth from the screen, but here is where we all salute you for giving good guidance!

I don't know that I would call LUCY a guilty pleasure, as I will confess quite candidly that I find it brilliant, but have always recognized that the plot is quite absurd. Even within the framework of the conceit, for her to now instantly be able to decipher Chinese characters after her "enhancement" is patently ridiculous -- there being quite a definitive, distinct and unambiguous, difference between intellectual capability versus acquired learned knowledge of the world, of course.

But the PQ and AQ (!) of LUCY, the pacing, acting... in short, the execution, make this movie one of my perennial favorites. On the acting front, just this last dip into this cosmos created by legendary Luc Besson, I was struck by the perfection of the rendering of Richard, Lucy's one week (only) companion -- was intrigued to look him up. Absolutely did not recognize him as the main baddie of OVERLORD, which I've also freshly rewatched anew. What an impressive character range!

I'd love to think BIRDS OF PREY fit the LUCY mold -- just one more variant of delicious, but am sufficiently disabused of the notion to hold out until Black Friday -- see if that discount might be more commensurate with the offering, and/or my (adjusted) interest level....
VooBass likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 369
^^^Well, actually perhaps I would be forced to wait anyway.....So Ralph, are you hearing any good insider intel about disc manufacturing -- are they not generally even making the discs anymore? I believe you've previously commented on "fulfillment centers" being shuttered -- maybe just the distribution network?
post #9 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
^^^Well, actually perhaps I would be forced to wait anyway.....So Ralph, are you hearing any good insider intel about disc manufacturing -- are they not generally even making the discs anymore? I believe you've previously commented on "fulfillment centers" being shuttered -- maybe just the distribution network?
There does seem to be some disruptions in the distribution chains. I had an order for Mask of Zorro 4K due for curbside delivery today from BB and got a notification that it wasn't available for said pickup. When I looked at changing the order to home delivery, the date was pushed back to June 9th. I cancelled and ordered it from Amazon for delivery on May 13th (hopefully). It's hard to tell whether it's the disc manufacturing or if retailers are giving movies on disc a lower priority or both. Amazon certainly is, rightfully giving higher priority to necessities during the current crisis.
Ralph Potts and Emaych like this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
There do seem to be some disruptions in the distribution chains. I had an order for Mask of Zorro 4K due for curbside delivery today from BB and got a notification that it wasn't available for said pickup. When I looked at changing to order to home delivery, the date was pushed back to June 9th. I cancelled and ordered it from Amazon for delivery on May 13th (hopefully). It's hard to tell whether it's the disc manufacturing or if retailers are giving movies on disc a lower priority or both. Amazon certainly is, rightfully giving higher priority to necessities during the current crisis.
Things are unpredictable. I ordered "The Gentlemen" on 4/21. Its original delivery estimate was 5/15. It was delivered yesterday, 5/4. Best of luck.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Things are unpredictable. I ordered "The Gentlemen" on 4/21. Its original delivery estimate was 5/15. It was delivered yesterday, 5/4. Best of luck.
Enjoy it. If you are into Guy Ritchie's films about the world of British criminals, you will love this one.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
post #13 of 22 Old 05-06-2020, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Looks ridiculous from the trailer, I think I will pass on this one. Forgive me if this has been already explained, but why no 4k review?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-06-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
Looks ridiculous from the trailer, I think I will pass on this one. Forgive me if this has been already explained, but why no 4k review?

Greetings,

I am waiting on the 4K disc which I am told is forthcoming.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #15 of 22 Old 05-06-2020, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Greetings,

I am waiting on the 4K disc which I am told is forthcoming.

Regards,
10-4, thanks Ralph.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-06-2020, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Nice review Ralph. Despite the heavy criticism all around the media I am excited to pick this one up! I love Margot!
Ralph Potts likes this.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #17 of 22 Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
This was the first review I read that was positive, it was universally dished by many however as you might know from my signature I favor true diversity and it's always nice to see "dissenting" opinions.Since I haven't seen this yet I can't form one just yet but at least it might gives a renewed slight interest to seek this out based on it.....and that ain't nothing.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #18 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Birds of Prey...Thanks for the review!
I went back and reread your Suicide Squad (and mine, I didn't like SS) review and I think I might give this a spin, low priority though, like @SuperFist I think my enjoyment of this movie will be dependent on my mood.
SuperFist likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #19 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Watched this last night. Meh. not great, not bad. Kept my interest but the sound was not great. I watched it on bluray and the 2 best parts were the preview for tenet, it has super bass and great sound lol, and the other was when huntress appeared and I was like oh! Mary Elizabeth Winstead! YES! Shes my favorite now I think. They could make a movie of her watching paint dry and id watch it, and she would rock that role too lol.
Ralph Potts likes this.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
post #20 of 22 Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Watched this last night. Meh. not great, not bad. Kept my interest but the sound was not great. I watched it on bluray and the 2 best parts were the preview for tenet, it has super bass and great sound lol, and the other was when huntress appeared and I was like oh! Mary Elizabeth Winstead! YES! Shes my favorite now I think. They could make a movie of her watching paint dry and id watch it, and she would rock that role too lol.

Greetings,

I couldn't agree more!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #21 of 22 Old 06-08-2020, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
well I tried to watch it more than once and eventually reached the one hour mark along with the end my tolerance of really crappy entertainment. This movie is just a mess there is just no redeeming quality for any aspect of it [writing,acting,directing,production].If you're Margot fan there are plenty of better choices out there. Highly NOT recommended! YMMV
Emaych likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #22 of 22 Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Got the 4k version on sale (at Target, no less).

It has car chases, explosions, and partially naked women. However, its sensibilities seem to be quite different from your usual comic book action movie. Maybe due to having a female director (Cathy Yan) and producer (Margot Robbie). (Do I get called sexist for that? Not that I care, much.)

According to the credits, Robbie (Australian) and Ewan McGregor (Scottish) shared the same dialog coach. (Not to be chauvinistic, but will American lead characters ever again be played by Americans? Sheesh.)

I'm not one of the DC Comics cognoscenti, but this one wasn't the best of the lot (Wonder Woman), or the worst (maybe Green Lantern, with Batman vs. Superman a strong contender). I didn't think that it was terrible, but it was out of balance: it was too much dominated by Harley (Margot). Robbie is a fine actress, but she didn't pull it off at the same level as Joaquin Phoenix in Joker. (Probably an unfair comparison. Joker was very dark; this one was largely a comedy.)

The Atmos sound track wasn't seismic, but it was enjoyable.

I actually liked the pet hyena (named Bruce).
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page