War of the Worlds Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #31 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks for the review @Ralph Potts! I watched the BD last night with the LFE track from the DVD remuxed into the BD 5.1 track, courtesy of @SuperFist , holy **** 18"s were pushed to the max, it felt like the foundation of the house was moving!

i'm sure this will get fixed quickly with BEQ and will compare the DVD LFE track vs. the ATMOS BEQ. This is a great time to invest time in the BEQ project. I held off for wayyy too long and now going back and watching all my movies over again. It's like MadVR for subwoofers, inching out every last ounce of performance. It's one of the coolest HT projects i've seen in many years, amazing community effort!
If anything, it will be a great comparison exercise to place the file I made alongside the Atmos track when it's released. It should give us a clear picture of the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Quote:
Thanks for the review @Ralph Potts! I watched the BD last night with the LFE track from the DVD remuxed into the BD 5.1 track, courtesy of @SuperFist , holy **** 18"s were pushed to the max, it felt like the foundation of the house was moving!

i'm sure this will get fixed quickly with BEQ and will compare the DVD LFE track vs. the ATMOS BEQ. This is a great time to invest time in the BEQ project. I held off for wayyy too long and now going back and watching all my movies over again. It's like MadVR for subwoofers, inching out every last ounce of performance. It's one of the coolest HT projects i've seen in many years, amazing community effort!
Greetings,

Awesome Jason! I look forward to hearing the findings of those that use BEQ.

Regards,
carp, SuperFist, zombie10k and 1 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #33 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
If anything, it will be a great comparison exercise to place the file I made alongside the Atmos track when it's released. It should give us a clear picture of the difference.
Greetings,

Exactly. Looking forward to your thoughts/impressions/findings SF..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
Quote:

Newb BEQ question. I assume you need an HTPC to utilize the BEQ mix. Not condoning widespread duplicating of copyright material but does anyone have a physical bluray copy of War of the Worlds with the BEQ track mixed onto the disc that they would be willing to share. PMs welcome

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #35 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Newb BEQ question. I assume you need an HTPC to utilize the BEQ mix. Not condoning widespread duplicating of copyright material but does anyone have a physical bluray copy of War of the Worlds with the BEQ track mixed onto the disc that they would be willing to share. PMs welcome
Two words... MiniDSP HD (or is that one word and an abbreviation?)
post #36 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Do you know if the Blu-Ray included with the 4K disc would retain the original bass heavy track?

I'm debating getting this on disc or Kscape (when available). Knowing I could have the bass demo scenes available would push me to the disc.
post #37 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Thanks for another great review Ralph. Based upon your review of the LFE on this disc, I think that I am going to rent the UHD and then decide if I want to purchase it or not.

Cal68
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Cal68
post #38 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Thanks @Ralph Potts for your review. I guess I will be happy with the Blu Ray that I have, as I am one of those that demo the POD scene, and used that when tuning in my BOSS system.
post #39 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Thanks for the reply big man. Appreciate it. I was under the impression that BEQ was a computer file of the audio track that has been remixed to greatly improve LFE and you needed an HTPC to access the files. I could be way off base.

I am a little familiar with the MiniDSP HD which is improving your overall sound and bass response in the room. I am not saying that wouldn't be a great improvement overall but I have heard ( pun intended) that BEQ will change your life.

I currently only have one PB 16 Ultra so not sure if the mini DSP HD would make for that great an improvement. I did have my audio calibrated by Jeff Meier of Accucal AV before he retired and I am very happy with the improvements he made. Just like all of us nutcases I am always looking to squeeze that last little bit of improvement out of my theater.

post #40 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Do you know if the Blu-Ray included with the 4K disc would retain the original bass heavy track?

I'm debating getting this on disc or Kscape (when available). Knowing I could have the bass demo scenes available would push me to the disc.
Greetings,

Yes, the included Blu-ray is the original 2010 release with the DTS-HD 5.1 MA track.

Regards,
tcramer likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #41 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the reply big man. Appreciate it. I was under the impression that BEQ was a computer file of the audio track that has been remixed to greatly improve LFE and you needed an HTPC to access the files. I could be way off base.

I am a little familiar with the MiniDSP HD which is improving your overall sound and bass response in the room. I am not saying that wouldn't be a great improvement overall but I have heard ( pun intended) that BEQ will change your life.

I currently only have one PB 16 Ultra so not sure if the mini DSP HD would make for that great an improvement. I did have my audio calibrated by Jeff Meier of Accucal AV before he retired and I am very happy with the improvements he made. Just like all of us nutcases I am always looking to squeeze that last little bit of improvement out of my theater.

Greetings,

No problem with a quick query and follow up reply but, let's keep the topic of the review on track guys. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 05-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
post #42 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked: 2403
While I love this movie, and its original 5.1 track, in the last 5 years or so I've found the majority of the P.E. Scene to be a little mundane (compared to the awesome textured base in the pod lasers, etc.). For me, the real show starts when the ground swells, then implodes (the part they showed in the trailer at the bottom of the review). I am totally on board with purchasing this disc and look forward to hearing it in its Atmos glory. In my opinion (and it may be an unpopular one), there are many other bass scenes from movies that have been released in the 15 years since this movie's release that surpass that scene in bass quality and texture and are more wholly satisfying.

Ralph, thanks for giving us the good AND the bad! It's why I've been basing my purchases on the content of your review for 11 years now.
audioguy, Ralph Potts, Toe and 5 others like this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 05-11-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed errant apostrophe from "its" in first sentence.
post #43 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I was so looking forward to this review and, Ralph, you gave it to us. I am deeply disappointed that one of the films highlights, which were its extended bass, was tamped down, but I will still be buying the film. I have the blu ray already but will sell it if anyone around here is interested. Big question though Ralph...now that you know that the bass in those important scenes is not equal to the Blu ray audio, when it is time for you to sit back to watch the film for sheer enjoyment...which will you put in the player, the blu ray with the better bottom end or the UHD with the less than perfect audio?

This brings me to another question...do the studios actually tell you whether a video is remastered or an audio is remixed? If not, is there a way to tell?

Thanks for being so quick on the dime and getting this review out.
Steve

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck

Last edited by Steve544; 05-11-2020 at 12:19 PM.
post #44 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
While I love this movie, and its original 5.1 track, in the last 5 years or so I've found the majority of the P.E. Scene to be a little mundane (compared to the awesome textured base in the pod lasers, etc.). For me, the real show starts when the ground swells, then implodes (the part they showed in the trailer at the bottom of the review). I am totally on board with purchasing this disc and look forward to hearing it in its Atmos glory. In my opinion (and it may be an unpopular one), there are many other bass scenes from movies that have been released in the 15 years since this movie's release that surpass that scene in bass quality and texture and are more wholly satisfying.

Ralph, thanks for giving us the good AND the bad! It's why I've been basing my purchases on the content of your review for 11 years now.
Thanks Matt. I really appreciate that.

When I make reference to the Pod Emergence scene it begins when Ray arrives at the location of the lightning strikes and ends when he gets back to his front door at home. This of course includes the initial rumblings of the pod moving underground, the ground swell/collapse, the pod emergence/foot falls on the surface and the laser blasts. The Atmos track is REALLY good. Yes, there are problems but, there's lots to like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
I was so looking forward to this review and, Ralph, you gave it to us. I am deeply disappointed that one of the films highlights, which were its extended bass, was tamped down, but I will still be buying the film. I have the blu ray already but will sell it if anyone around here is interested. Big question though Ralph...now that you know that the bass in those important scenes is not equal to the Blu ray audio, when it is time for you to sit back to watch the film for sheer enjoyment...which will you put in the player, the blu ray with the better bottom end or the UHD with the less than perfect audio?

This brings me to another question...do the studios actually tell you whether a video is remastered or an audio is remixed? If not, is there a way to tell?

Thanks for being so quick on the dime and getting this review out.
Steve
Thanks Steve. For sheer enjoyment, I would probably reach for the Ultra HD disc. The video combined with the Atmos track, even without its splendidly hot bass track, makes for a solid overall viewing experience. In most instances the studio will reveal whether a release has been remastered for video/audio.

Regards,
SuperFist and Steve544 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #45 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 2953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I read that. I can't speak for what he observed or what gear he is using. I have been in touch with @david Vaughn who has the disc and confirms my findings.

Regards
I concur with Ralph. It's almost like there's a LFE filter in the 28-35Hz range that takes away the low-end PUNCH that the Blu-ray exhibits. The Atmos track is very immersive and if you didn't have the BD to compare the bass to you'd think it was acceptable, but listening to the Atmos right after the DTS-MA HD track, you can certainly feel the difference. Each track is the same volume, but the Atmos track lacks the intensity that so many bassheads love about this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstg View Post
Well it looks like the reviewer uses an Atmos sound bar so his comments on LFE doesn’t hold much weight.
How anyone can review movies on a soundbar is beyond my comprehension. I guess it is better than using the built-in speakers in a flat panel, but not by much.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #46 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have a controversial comment.

While I am the first to complain about modern dynamic range limited discs (looking at you, Disney), I always kind of wondered if the BD of WOTW had a messed up LFE track. The bass is just TOO heavy in that lightening scene. My four 15" subs sound great in every other movie, but when I play WOTW BD, I'm afraid I'm going to blow them out! If I turn the level down so that I don't have this fear, the rest of the movie is too quiet.

So this one time, I am more interested in this new 4K disc because it sounds like my fear of blowing out my subs will be eliminated!
post #47 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I concur with Ralph. It's almost like there's a LFE filter in the 28-35Hz range that takes away the low-end PUNCH that the Blu-ray exhibits. The Atmos track is very immersive and if you didn't have the BD to compare the bass to you'd think it was acceptable, but listening to the Atmos right after the DTS-MA HD track, you can certainly feel the difference. Each track is the same volume, but the Atmos track lacks the intensity that so many bassheads love about this movie.

How anyone can review movies on a soundbar is beyond my comprehension. I guess it is better than using the built-in speakers in a flat panel, but not by much.
Dave thanks for confirming Ralph's observations. Much appreciated.

Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.
post #48 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:

Thanks for chiming in Dave. Yes, I agree that had one not been familiar with the original track, you might find less of an issue with the Atmos track's bass. Again, as noted in my review, the track as a whole is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magi1500 View Post

While I am the first to complain about modern dynamic range limited discs (looking at you, Disney), I always kind of wondered if the BD of WOTW had a messed up LFE track. The bass is just TOO heavy in that lightening scene. My four 15" subs sound great in every other movie, but when I play WOTW BD, I'm afraid I'm going to blow them out! If I turn the level down so that I don't have this fear, the rest of the movie is too quiet.

So this one time, I am more interested in this new 4K disc because it sounds like my fear of blowing out my subs will be eliminated!
I don't find your comment controversial. The LFE track on WotW is mixed aggressively which augments its dips into ultra low frequency territory. I have played it at high levels and never felt as though it was going to harm my subwoofers. The bass is powerful but clean. You may very well find that the new Atmos mix is to your liking. There is nothing wrong with that..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #49 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 03:59 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Quote:

Cant agree with you here, but if you think the BD had too much bass, you would hate the DTS track on the old DVD from 2005 (I believe?) as the bass is even more pumped up objectively speaking looking at the graphs.

I have to agree with BrolicBeast though in that there are many bass tracks that I find overall superior to WotW these days. WotW will always be a bass classic obviously, but I quit using it for demo purposes long ago in favor of other scenes that I find better overall like the opening ~12 minutes of Overlord for example.

Not to mention I think I'm over WotW in general and not sure I can watch it in full again. I just threw on the DVD a few weeks ago and honestly lost interest and turned it off. I've just seen it way too many times at this point and for me it's really only good to hit those big bass scenes which again I turn to other films for these days anyway.
post #50 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

I made a similar comment on another sites thread.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Emotiva 5175/ Emotiva A-300/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PC-2000 Pro/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #51 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much bass? I have 6 subwoofers in my room...the more bass, the better

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #52 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much bass? I have 6 subwoofers in my room...the more bass, the better
I just upgraded my subs so I definitely want as much as I can get.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

OLED65B7P/ OPPO UDP-203/ DENON X4300H/ Emotiva 5175/ Emotiva A-300/ Klipsch RP 440c/ Klipsch RP 250f/ Klipsch RP 240s x4/ Klipsch RP 140sa/ Dual SVS PC-2000 Pro/ Auralex Mopad riser for center channel/
post #53 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I read that. I can't speak for what he observed or what gear he is using. I have been in touch with @david Vaughn who has the disc and confirms my findings.

Regards
Have Dave send that disc my way and I’ll A/B it vs the DTS disc. My subs will te the the truth. .

That being said, my money is on Ralph’s interpretation. Moreover, I’ve found many Atmos tracks don’t stack up to the DTS ones...
Ralph Potts, geocab and gbaby like this.

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #54 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Have Dave send that disc my way and I’ll A/B it vs the DTS disc. My subs will te the the truth. .

That being said, my money is on Ralph’s interpretation. Moreover, I’ve found many Atmos tracks don’t stack up to the DTS ones...
I agree....I think there's something with the Atmos encoder that is doing something (negative) the overall bass response. Heck, just listen to most Marvel films from the last five years compared to the ones mixed in the first five years.
geocab, gbaby and GoCaboNow like this.

post #55 of 139 Old 05-11-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I agree....I think there's something with the Atmos encoder that is doing something (negative) the overall bass response. Heck, just listen to most Marvel films from the last five years compared to the ones mixed in the first five years.
Fully agree.
geocab likes this.

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #56 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Additional note: This movie contains the 2005 "Visual Effects Shot of the Year," as awarded by the Visual Effects Society. It's the one where the camera orbits continuously around the minivan as Tom Cruise and the kids drive down the road weaving through wreckage. It was filmed with a giant circular greenscreen around the van and gimbal-mounted camera, and the surrounding imagery was later composited in Shake.
aaronwt, geocab, Emaych and 1 others like this.
post #57 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 AM

Actually. I just downloaded this new 4K / Atmos version from Kaleidescape. So, I have both versions on my server.

I’ll compare and contrast but Drats! I know we all wanted Atmos and the big bass!

post #58 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5861
disappointing that the audio seems like a step down...this should have been a reference Atmos track...are the 4K DV visuals a major step up from the Blu-ray?...the review makes it sound better but night/day better or just slightly improved?...I'm debating whether to pick this up or maybe wait for a price drop...
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #59 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Good review Ralph. While I will not be buying this one due to owning the original, your comment on the Atmos should serve notice to everyone that Atmos isn't everything.
post #60 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked: 4881
Quote:
Seriously, is there such a thing as TOO much bass?
Not as far as I'm concerned. I didn't spend the money I did on subs to just reproduce the sound track. I want enough headroom so that I can play as loud as necessary and never have to worry about compression and I want to be able to compress the air in our theater so that I can hear and feel the bass.

But more to the subject of most of the posts in this thread: Why would a studio go to the trouble or re-doing a movie and improve the video resolution, improve the color gamut and add 3D audio only to cripple one of the better sound tracks out there? I just don't understand.

I can only imagine how they might completely screw up the up-coming 4K re-release of Top Gun!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page