War of the Worlds Ultra HD Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #61 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 7529
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
But more to the subject of most of the posts in this thread: Why would a studio go to the trouble or re-doing a movie and improve the video resolution, improve the color gamut and add 3D audio only to cripple one of the better sound tracks out there? I just don't understand.
I honestly don't think they feel they're crippling the soundtracks these days... I just feel like either they don't have the equipment capable to attain, or appreciate, ultra frequency levels and/or they just don't feel it detracts from the sound mix.

I believe our very own FilmMixer said that there's no industry standard when it comes to mixing these audio tracks as there are just different sound designer preferences, like artists and their interpretations of mixes... and then the studios just sign off on it (I'm paraphrasing, obviously).

Last edited by SuperFist; 05-15-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4873
After someone gets this movie and creates some PEQs to fix the bass (BEQ), this might be a reason to try BEQ. I will probably not cancel my pre-order to be able to just compare the two mixes. And if push comes to shove, do what someone else recommended and mix the video from this disc with the DTS audio from my Blu Ray and use my DTS:X Pro up-mixer to get the best of both worlds.
post #63 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Quote:
Not as far as I'm concerned. I didn't spend the money I did on subs to just reproduce the sound track. I want enough headroom so that I can play as loud as necessary and never have to worry about compression and I want to be able to compress the air in our theater so that I can hear and feel the bass.

But more to the subject of most of the posts in this thread: Why would a studio go to the trouble or re-doing a movie and improve the video resolution, improve the color gamut and add 3D audio only to cripple one of the better sound tracks out there? I just don't understand.

I can only imagine how they might completely screw up the up-coming 4K re-release of Top Gun!!
I have very read several favorable reviews of the Atmos mix for TOP GUN 4K. I am looking forward to a review from @Ralph Potts

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Why would a studio go to the trouble or re-doing a movie and improve the video resolution, improve the color gamut and add 3D audio only to cripple one of the better sound tracks out there? I just don't understand.
I've been asking that question for a few years. Some think immersive audio mixes are getting better but I've become a skeptic, no need to rehash the details. We all know which studios have not been doing great mixes.

Quote:
After someone gets this movie and creates some PEQs to fix the bass (BEQ), this might be a reason to try BEQ.
Agreed! I've not jumped onto the BEQ bandwagon yet but I'm willing to try it if it saves this title. I also still have it on pre-order and like the film a lot being a huge scifi fan so not cancelling. I'll learn the ropes of BEQ if that's what it takes to fix what should otherwise be a great immersive mix.

Gimped Atmos mixes remind me of how studios removed film grain with so much digital NR. I still have the 1st BD release of Patton...George C Scott's face looked like plastic To do that to a classic like Patton is a cardinal sin. Sony seems to have more of their act together on Atmos & 4K so I have my fingers crossed on Lawrence of Arabia in their upcoming box set.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 05-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.
post #65 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7037
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I have very read several favorable reviews of the Atmos mix for TOP GUN 4K. I am looking forward to a review from @Ralph Potts

Greetings,

Here you go :

Top Gun Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Regards,
carp and lizrussspike like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #66 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Here you go :

Top Gun Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Regards,
Now that's what I call service My day is now 10x better. Thanks Ralph!

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #67 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4873
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post

I just read the Top Gun 4K review on BluRay.com and he loved it. So I'm hopeful.
ss9001 likes this.
post #68 of 139 Old 05-12-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Thanks for the review Ralph. I will NOT be updating to this version having the low end chopped off like that. Thanks for the warning. Ill hold on to my BD.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #69 of 139 Old 05-13-2020, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227

Spoiler!
post #70 of 139 Old 05-13-2020, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
It looks like this Dolby Vision release will initially retail at around £20.00 here in the UK, so I'll wait a few months before taking a punt...

Sufficed to say... If I get around to backing-up the movie I'll probably add the 5.1 DTS-HD MA audio stream from the 2K Blu-ray to the 4K UHD movie

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #71 of 139 Old 05-13-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I streamed this movie twice in 4k this week once through apple tv and the other through roku 4k.. I watched this movie a thousand times when i was a kid used to love the horn sound the pods used to make.. I can tell you for sure on the stream it did not sound as good as when i was a kid.. I think either the base on the horns was lower or they just lower the overall sound to the pods.. The movie was awesome i hadn't seen it in 10 or more years and it felt amazing.

Going to order the blu ray version so i can get the pods horn sound again..
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #72 of 139 Old 05-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
I streamed this movie twice in 4k this week once through apple tv and the other through roku 4k.. I watched this movie a thousand times when i was a kid used to love the horn sound the pods used to make.. I can tell you for sure on the stream it did not sound as good as when i was a kid.. I think either the base on the horns was lower or they just lower the overall sound to the pods.. The movie was awesome i hadn't seen it in 10 or more years and it felt amazing.

Going to order the blu ray version so i can get the pods horn sound again..
Streaming audio is always less dynamic and way less punchy LFE. I am not saying the 4k version will match the Bluray but I would not judge it based upon streaming. Video is much closer between 4k disc and streaming but the audio is still worlds apart IMHO.

post #73 of 139 Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for the "par for the course" excellent review! I was a bit disappointed when it came to your analysis of the audio mix (especially the "pod emergence scene") but after reading what other reviewers (such as DoBlu.com and HiDefDigest have said about the Dolby Atmos mix, I'm all in. Fact is I probably would have bought it in spite of the "taming down of the LFE" because of the amazing PQ. I have watched my 1080p Blur-ray at least 3-4 times and I've always been discouraged by the PQ, most notably the less-than-stellar black levels which resulted in a lack of details and depth in very dark scenes, but from what I've heard the Blacks/Shadow details are spectacular! So, I just ordered a copy from Amazon and I was thrilled that the "price was right" too.

Denny
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #74 of 139 Old 05-14-2020, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for the "par for the course" excellent review! I was a bit disappointed when it came to your analysis of the audio mix (especially the "pod emergence scene") but after reading what other reviewers (such as DoBlu.com and HiDefDigest have said about the Dolby Atmos mix, I'm all in. Fact is I probably would have bought it in spite of the "taming down of the LFE" because of the amazing PQ. I have watched my 1080p Blur-ray at least 3-4 times and I've always been discouraged by the PQ, most notably the less-than-stellar black levels which resulted in a lack of details and depth in very dark scenes, but from what I've heard the Blacks/Shadow details are spectacular! So, I just ordered a copy from Amazon and I was thrilled that the "price was right" too.

Denny
Greetings,

Hey Denny, yes, as I stated in the review the Atmos mix is killer, as is the video quality. As a whole the audio presentation isn't "bad", it's just that if you compare it to the original track, the difference in low frequency detail/depth is quite obvious. Those that aren't familiar with or don't have systems capable of rendering the infrasonic bass on the 5.1 track probably won't even notice it.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Dave Vaughn and djoberg like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #75 of 139 Old 05-14-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Hey Denny, yes, as I stated in the review the Atmos mix is killer, as is the video quality. As a whole the audio presentation isn't "bad", it's just that if you compare it to the original track, the difference in low frequency detail/depth is quite obvious. Those that aren't familiar with or don't have systems capable of rendering the infrasonic bass on the 5.1 track probably won't even notice it.

Enjoy!

Regards,
I just went back and read your comments on the Dolby mix and yes, you did "sing its praises" except for the bass/LFEl My bad!!

Again, I have LOVED the movie ever since its release but was let down by the PQ in areas, most notably the black levels and then some scenes where the "heavy grain" looked like "noise." The audio mix had always drawn me in and I've used the "pod emergence scene" to show off the depth of my subs and it's never failed to disappoint. That will be a bummer now but I can't wait to see the "night and day" difference in PQ!
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #76 of 139 Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The only problem with this movie was the girl screaming it drove me nuts.

Last edited by jsil; 05-14-2020 at 08:04 PM.
post #77 of 139 Old 05-15-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
The only problem with this movie was the girl screaming it drove me nuts.
Think of what it was like for Tom Cruise...yet he retained his "sanity"....or did he? He's seems SANE in his movies, but offstage...not so much!!

post #78 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
You weren't kidding about the LFE!

thehun, gbaby, SuperFist and 3 others like this.
post #79 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post

If there was ever a time to use this, it is now...

geocab, Emaych, serith and 3 others like this.
post #80 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Am I correct in reading the above chart that we'd ideally want higher signals below 30Hz for optimal bass? And what's the difference between the top vs. bottom graph? I've read @PioManiac 's explanation here, but some of it's still over my head--looking for a simpler read .

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #81 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
Just as I suspected...a 30Hz filter. SMH.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #82 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 7529
I respect the fact that people needed confirmation of the neutered LFE with a graph since this is the AV Science Forum, but I honestly didn't need it, as the way Ralph put his experience into words, I knew he was being very honest and accurate.
post #83 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I respect the fact that people needed confirmation of the neutered LFE with a graph since this is the AV Science Forum, but I honestly didn't need it, as the way Ralph put his experience into words, I knew he was being very honest and accurate.
Ralph and I spoke on the phone specifically about this and we both said the same thing--some type of roll-off at 30Hz or so. Like you said, we didn't need the measurements to come up with the assessment--our ears (and lack of foundation shaking frequency response) told us all we needed to know. I'm glad someone confirmed it scientifically though

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #84 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 270
does anyone have access to the dolby mastering suite? with that we could swap lfe tracks.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #85 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post

Greetings,

Thanks as always for your support SF...

Regards,
SuperFist likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #86 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Ralph and I spoke on the phone specifically about this and we both said the same thing--some type of roll-off at 30Hz or so. Like you said, we didn't need the measurements to come up with the assessment--our ears (and lack of foundation shaking frequency response) told us all we needed to know. I'm glad someone confirmed it scientifically though
Greetings,

Agreed Dave. There was no question as soon as I went into viewing that something was amiss. Our discussion confirmed that it wasn't isolated. The confirmation provided by the measurements puts it into perspective.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #87 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Agreed Dave. There was no question as soon as I went into viewing that something was amiss. Our discussion confirmed that it wasn't isolated. The confirmation provided by the measurements puts it into perspective.

Regards,
At least we know our "old fart" ears are still working properly (at least for a few more years )

post #88 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 425
My heart sank as soon as I saw: The Good. I immediately knew what The Bad would be.

I have to say, being a WOTW fan since I was a kid watching the original on TBS, I was not enamored of this remake. The bratty kids ruined it for me..

That said, like everyone else, I loved those demo scenes! What a shame..
Ralph Potts and Jive Turkey like this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
post #89 of 139 Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
I for one appreciate the graph not just because I favor objectivity but it also stops any speculations or accusations of regarding equipment set ups and ears.
Frankly I can't stand this movie so I wasn't gonna get it anyway [have it on BD]but with the neutered bass it just made that much more sure that I won't bother with it. As always thanks for the review though Ralph.
Dave Vaughn and Ralph Potts like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #90 of 139 Old 05-18-2020, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post

Lol what?

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links