Flashdance: Paramount Presents Edition Blu-ray Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Ralph Potts
  • 1 Post By wxchaser

post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 6923
Flashdance: Paramount Presents Edition Blu-ray Review

A young Pittsburgh woman with two jobs as a welder and an exotic dancer wants to get into ballet school. Ralph Potts reviews the Blu-ray release of Flashdance from Paramount Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1983
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Jennifer Beals, Michael Nouri, Belinda Bauer, Lilia Skala
Directed by: Adrian Lyne
Music by: Giorgio Moroder
Written by: Tom Hedley, Joe Eszterhas
Region Code: A

Release Date: May 19, 2020

"When the Dancer Becomes the Dance"

Synopsis:

“A young Pittsburgh woman with two jobs as a welder and an exotic dancer wants to get into ballet school.” – Paramount Home Entertainment

My Take:

The music, the dancing, the romance, the leg warmers...oh, what a feeling! Get ready to re-experience all the drama as Alex (Jennifer Beals) bravely fights her way out of the welding gear, off the stripper pole and onto the dance-school floor. Flashdance, the pop-culture phenomenon of the 80s, is back and flashier than ever with brand-new featurettes exploring the history, the look, the music and much more! Academy Award®-winner for Best Song, Flashdance…What A Feeling! The hit film that inspired a generation.

Flashdance starring Jennifer Beals as the fiercely determined 18-year-old welder by day, exotic dancer by night, with one all-consuming dream, to study at the Pittsburgh Conservatory of Dance, was quite the hit back in the day. I remember the fervor over the dance sequence where Alex (actually Beals’ dance double Marine Jahan) is on stage at the club, with her silhouette illuminated by front stage lights, and pulls the chain releasing the water which douses her. If no one remembered what the film was about, they could tell you that scene was memorable.

Personally, I never got around to seeing Flashdance in its entirety. The subject matter never appealed to me and I was totally over hearing the two hit songs “Flashdance…What a Feeling” and “Maniac” which got endless airplay on the radio. As a guy that came of age in the 80s I figured it was time to give Flashdance its due when it shoed up on my doorstep in this Blu-ray release from the Paramount Presents line.

For me, Flashdance still doesn’t have an audience. I didn’t really connect with its drama, dance numbers and, least of all, campy romance. Jennifer Beals isn’t much of an actress in my opinion although, much of that in this case is owed to the writing. Perhaps had I seen this film when I was in my late teens, I may have felt more connected to it. As it stands now, even the nostalgia associated with the time period didn’t resonate. Oh well, I can now say that I have had the opportunity to experience Flashdance and that my initial reservations about it were founded.

Fans of the film have reason to be excited about this new release that includes newly remastered video from a 4K film transfer supervised by director Adrian Lyne and, collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the original movie poster and interior artwork featuring key movie moments. Bonus features include a new Filmmaker Focus with Lyne, as well as previously released featurettes on the look of the film and the phenomenon it became.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, sensuality and thematic content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Flashdance comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

According to Paramount Home Entertainment’s press documentation Flashdance, under the supervision of Adrian Lyne, recently underwent a restorative process and the results are excellent. This film’s 1.85:1 framed high definition video presentation on Blu-ray looks very good on my 100-inch screen. Colors are tonally balanced with inviting primaries, clean rendering and delineated secondary hues. Fleshtones are appreciably lifelike with discernible texture and natural depiction. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is noteworthy.

Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual depth but most reveal subtle degrees of refinement and fidelity is never in question. While the film’s elements aren’t the type to yield razor sharp imagery resolution is excellent as the blend of interior shots and sets featured in the story offer clarity, detail and dimension that appear filmic and rewarding. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enlivens bright scenes and colors while maintaining an appreciable level of visibility and dimension during darker segments. Grain is present and appears undisturbed. Paramount is to be commended on this excellent and faithful high definition presentation that is sure to please even discerning fans.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA 5.1 channel mix does a terrific job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has appreciable vocal character and above average room penetration. This is a predominantly front oriented presentation that delivers a rewarding audio experience. The surrounds are occasionally utilized for atmospheric extension while appropriately applied dynamics and mid to upper level bass combine to provide solidity that enhances effects/music without sounding unnatural or over processed. In general, I was pleased with the outcome of this audio presentation.

Bonus Features:
  • NEW Filmmaker Focus: Director Adrian Lyne on Flashdance
  • The Look of Flashdance
  • Releasing The Flashdance Phenomenon
  • Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

Upon its release Flashdance was a hit movie that became a cultural sensation. While it didn’t resonate with me, I can certainly appreciate its appeal and place among the iconic films of its heyday. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment’s Paramount Presents line featuring beautifully restored video, crystal clear lossless sound and a mix of new and legacy supplements. If you’re a fan this offering comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
hifiHigh, afelcandy and mik2h like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
So does this mean Paramount finally has a "Presents" disc they didn't DNR into oblivion?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2020, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
While it didn’t resonate with me
Do you have something against exotic dancers who get plastic surgery done and are nearly unrecognizable, Ralph?!

What is telling is how low the audio scoring was.

Quote:
As a guy that came of age in the 80s
Had to give you a hard time - definitely not one of my favorite movies.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page