Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 06-15-2020, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 7043
Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Review

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is proud to debut six of the most acclaimed and beloved films from its library on 4K Ultra HD disc for the first time ever, exclusively within the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection. Ralph Potts reviews this highly anticipated Ultra HD Collection from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year:
MPAA Rating: PG, R, NR
Feature running time: 129, 94, 127, 226, 191, 138 minutes
Genre: Drama, Sci-fi, Comedy

Disc Format: BD-100
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 1.37:1, 1.66:1, 2.39:1, 2.20:1, 2.39:1, 1.85:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, English/French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/1.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: James Stewart, Jean Arthur, Claude Rains, Edward Arnold, Guy Kibbee, Thomas Mitchell, Beluah Bondi, Peter O’Toole, Alec Guiness, Anthony Quinn, Omar Sharif, Jack Hawkins, Jose Ferrer, Claude Rains, Arthur Kennedy, Anthony Quayle, Sir Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen, Martin Sheen, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, Trevor Howard, John Mills, Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, Slim Pickens, James Earl Jones, Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna, Lori Petty, David Strathairn, Jon Lovitz, Garry Marshall, Rosie O’Donnell, Tracy Reiner, Bitty Schram, Anne Ramsey, Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr. Rene Zellweger, Kelly Preston, Regina King, Bonnie Hunt, Jay Mohr, Jerry O’Connell, Beau Bridges
Directed by: Frank Capra, David Lean, Stanley Kubrick, Richard Attenborough, penny Marshall, Cameron Crowe
Music by: Maurice Jarre, Ravi Shankar, Hans Zimmer
Written by: Sidney Buchman, Robert Bolt & Michael Wilson, Stanley Kubrick, Peter George, Terry Southern, John Briley, Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel, Cameron Crowe
Region Code: A,B,C

Release Date: June 16, 2020

"Six Classics Get the Ultra HD Treatment "

Synopsis:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is proud to debut six of the most acclaimed and beloved films from its library on 4K Ultra HD disc for the first time ever, exclusively within the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: This award-winning classic is about an idealistic, small-town American senator who heads to Washington, DC, and suddenly finds himself single-handedly battling ruthless politicians who are out to destroy him. Receiving a total of eleven 1939 Oscar® nominations (including Best Picture and Best Director), and winning one (Best Writing, Original Story).

Lawrence of Arabia: Winner of 7 Academy Awards® including Best Picture of 1962, Lawrence of Arabia stands as one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar®-winning director, David Lean, the film stars Peter O’Toole — in his career-making performance — as T.E. Lawrence, the audacious World War I British army officer who heroically united rival Arab desert tribes and led them to war against the mighty Turkish Empire.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb: Nominated for four Academy Awards® including Best Picture (1964), Stanley Kubrick’s black comedy about a group of paranoia-inspired, war-happy generals who manage to initiate an “accidental” nuclear apocalypse, is horribly frightening, delightfully funny and surprisingly relevant to this day. This is the saga of two psychotic generals: Joint Chief of Staff “Buck” Turgidson (George C. Scott) and Air Force Strategic Commander Jack Ripper (Sterling Hayden), who orders a bomber squadron to attack the USSR, triggering a Soviet secret weapon, the “Doomsday Machine”, a diabolical retaliatory missile system. Peter Sellers portrays a trio of men who attempt to avert this catastrophe: British Captain Lionel Mandrake, the only person with access to paranoid Gen. Ripper; U.S. President Muffley, whose best attempt at diverting this disaster depends on convincing a boozed-up Soviet Premier it’s all a silly mistake; and the President’s advisor, Dr. Strangelove, a demented ex-Nazi scientist. Can any one of them possibly save the world?

Ghandi: Sir Ben Kingsley stars as Mohandas Gandhi in Lord Richard Attenborough’s riveting biography of the man who rose from simple lawyer to worldwide symbol of peace and understanding. A critical masterpiece, GANDHI is an intriguing story about activism, politics, religious tolerance and freedom. But at the center of it all is an extraordinary man who fought for a nonviolent, peaceful existence, and set an entire nation free. Winner of 8 Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Director (Richard Attenborough) and Best Actor (Sir Ben Kingsley), GANDHI’s highly acclaimed cast also includes Candice Bergen, Edward Fox, Sir John Gielgud, Roshan Seth and Martin Sheen.

A League of Their Own: It’s a home run with this hilarious and beloved comedy, starring Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna. With baseball lineups and locker rooms left empty during World War II, the newly-founded All-American Girls Baseball League brought talented women to the big leagues—and brought fans to the stands. The indomitable Dottie Hinson (Davis) finds herself leading a rag tag group of players who end up winning over the heart of their has-been coach, Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks). Lori Petty, Rosie O’Donnell and Jon Lovitz round out the all-star roster. Based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail for generations of athletes. Directed by Penny Marshall.

Jerry Maguire: Tom Cruise stars as a sports agent who’s enduring a crisis of conscience. After he suddenly and unceremoniously loses his job and his girlfriend (Kelly Preston), both his personal and professional careers hit an all-time low. But when a single mother (Renée Zellweger) enters his life and his heart, he finds himself negotiating the biggest deal of his life…for the heart and the hand of the woman that he loves. Cuba Gooding, Jr. (in an Academy Award®- winning performance, 1996, Best Supporting Actor), Jay Mohr, Regina King, Jonathan Lipnicki and Bonnie Hunt co-star in this beloved blockbuster hit from writer/director Cameron Crowe. Nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Picture and Best Actor - Tom Cruise.

My Take:

The six films in this collection should be well known to enthusiasts and are comprised of cinematic works from Sony’s catalog that are either sagas that are epic in scope, edgy satire or well spun social commentary, driven by strong themes and wonderfully endearing characters that have become etched in history or popular culture. I am most definitely a fan of each of these films, for different reasons, with some resonating deeper with me than others. As I worked my way through them during this review, I was reminded why I fell in love with them to begin with and reveled in the experience of watching them back to back.

Lawrence of Arabia simply never gets old despite its long runtime and strict attention to detail. The same is true of Gandi which given the current nationwide situation seems more relevant than ever. A League of Their Own is one of my favorite films and, is just so much fun. Frank Capra was a master storyteller who commonly gravitated toward projects that allowed him to convey his fondness for social commentary, emotive themes and subject matter that more often than not remained close to his heart. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington features superbly written dialog, a masterfully shaped screenplay and the combined talents of a terrific cast, coupled with director Capra’s penchant for capturing the film not only as a whole but, framed in a series of engaging “moments” that are memorably affecting.

Jerry Maguire expertly combines character with story, wrapped in a homogenous package that features a host of fantastic performances. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is rich in social commentary, darkly rich satire and director Kubrick’s knack for visual storytelling.

This Limited-Edition set comes housed in fabulous packaging that is in a sort of book style casing which opens up to reveal the Columbia logo. Three discs (with slipcovers) are housed on each side with the magnetic enclosure keeping it together. The beautiful 80-page hard cover book has its own slipcase storage at the top (running the length of the entire case. The whole package fits together seamlessly, making access to the items within quite easy.

Replay Value: 5 Stars

Parental Guide:

The ratings are for thematic elements, some violent content, sexual humor, language and sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation: 94
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 90

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Dr. Strangelove/Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Only

Audio: 80

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Please note that each of these films has been fully restored and struck from a 4K Digital Intermediate. Four of the six films has received a new Dolby Atmos immersive listening track. I have rated each films audio/video separately (found at the end of my comments for each) and the resulting average is what you see in the overall ratings section of the review.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD Mono Master Audio sound.

Shot in black and white, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington can at times be a somewhat darkish film with many sequences taking place in environs with only artificial lighting. Looking at the film's opening sequence (s), the improvement in definition is noticeable but, not staggering. Images onscreen have noteworthy depth with rendering that draws out discernible levels of delineation. Close ups reveal perceptible detail in the faces, hair and clothing worn by the cast as well as the physical make up of objects/surfaces within the frame which imparts a noticeable sense of dimension.

Blacks have excellent dynamic range and consistency which plays very well against the various stages of white and gray. The film uses key sequences that feature streaming light, shading and mixed content. The level of shadow detail here versus the 1080p rendering is improved, enhancing the variety of lighting schemes, transitions and purposeful shadows utilized in the film. Grain remains perfectly intact, with an even and organic essence that underscores the thematic content.

The addition of high dynamic range added a pleasing visual element that enlivened both brightly lit and low-level images onscreen. I also felt that the cinematography benefited from the application of HDR which emboldened blacks and shadow delineation. In addition to the increase in resolution, this made the differences between the 1080p video and this rendering standout. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture that brings this classic to life like never before.

This Ultra HD presentation improves upon the previous Blu-ray release. I think that due to the innate nature of the source, those differences, depending on your level of interest, may or may not be significant. For me, this is the only way to watch this classic film.

Ultra HD Video Rating: 90

DTS-Master Audio Mono:

The monaural soundtrack is presented in DTS-HD Master Audio lossless and while it won’t knock your socks off, I found it delivered the components of the original recording beautifully. The auditory is clean and free of unwanted clicks, pops or background hiss. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent as it is never lost amidst the other sounds coming through the central channel. Purists will appreciate the time and effort that went into maintaining the integrity of this great film’s original elements. The result will allow those seeing it for the first time to experience it as close to if not better than those that saw it in the theater 75 years ago.

Audio Rating: 80

Lawrence of Arabia comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This is a period specific film that strives to recreate the look and feel of director David Lean’s vision. The 2012 Blu-ray rendering offered faithful reproduction and looked excellent in 1080p, but this Ultra HD rendering is something to behold. Lawrence of Arabia is a beautifully crafted film, both in narrative, and scope. The film’s terrific cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and emboldened contrast. The very first shots of the desert landscapes look stunning and provide a glimpse of what lies in store.

Copious amounts of detail can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension. Shot on film, grain and some innate softening are present. Neither are compromising, even during shots laden with minutia, such as those that capture the sun-drenched desert sky where it meets the earth filled with swarming, airborne sand.

The use of HDR is spot on, driving the story’s use of visual cues offset by gleams of brilliant light that illuminate the sun scorched terrain and blue skies. The scene where they arrive at the well (just before the encounter/first meeting with Sharif Ali) looks fantastic. The beautiful use of sepia stands out in stark contrast to the gradational blacks, grays and green, that make up the look of wartime featured in the story.

The elements of rich color such as those seen in in the tent of Prince Faisal, are vividly reproduced. The film’s shadow laden environs/low level sequences, like the scene early in the story where Lawrence and his new guide (on their way to meet with Prince Faisal) lay under the star at dusk, have never looked better, offering increased interstitial details that promote depth of field. Blacks are inky without compromise to fidelity.

As impressed as I was with the restored 1080p rendering of Lawrence of Arabia, I found the Ultra HD presentation takes it to the next level, allowing its attributes to be fully realized in a way that it hadn’t been before. Video enthusiasts are sure to appreciate it.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR10 presentations for Lawrence of Arabia, I found the HDR to be extremely close. In fact, I would go so far as to say they were negligible. Again, I want to emphasize that this film’s predominating elements aren’t necessarily lent to the engaging type of HDR that makes the format shine but, there is no question that the application of high dynamic range added a tangible visual component.

Ultra HD Video Rating:

HDR10 = 100

Dolby Vision = 100

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the new Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I was surprised at how active the mix is. The use of overhead sound objects elevates proportional correlation especially when applied during sequences that involve quick transitions from one perspective to another. When compared to the original 5.1 channel mix the track offers a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low level detail and even simulating broader dynamic range. Maurice Jarre’s music score invigorates the extended sound field as its rousing presence underscores the storyline. The film is loaded with atmospherics, off screen cues and discrete sound effects that when applied using the freedom of object-based placement adds an enriching layer to the soundtrack. This is noticeable right from the opening sequence (motorcycle crash) with noteworthy examples being found throughout (the air raid on the encampment sounds great). There is no question that the new Atmos mix adds a complimentary layer that brings the listening experience up a notch.

Dolby Atmos Rating: 94

Dr. Strangelove comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound.

The use of film stock and black and white perfectly accents this thematic tone and is perfectly rendered in this ultra HD Blu-ray presentation. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is noteworthy. Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual depth but, most reveal subtle degrees of refinement and fidelity is never in question. While the film’s elements aren’t the type to yield razor sharp imagery, resolution is solid, as the blend of interior shots and sets featured in the story offer clarity and dimension that appear faithful to the source. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enlivens bright scenes while gradations of white/gray maintain an appreciable level of visibility and dimension. The video has an undisturbed and visibly grainy texture that occasionally takes on more emphasis but, I never found it bothersome. Other than a hand full of shots where innate softening creeps in this restored video rendering looks solid.

DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio:

This multi-channel mix (there is also a lossless Mono option) does a commendable job presenting the film’s soundtrack. The audio maintains a front oriented perspective with a fairly wide soundstage that exhibits good directional spacing and clearly articulated dialogue that reaches well into the room. There isn’t much in the way of discrete surround sound or extended dynamics however there are a variety of instances where the entire soundstage is put to good use. The auditory is surprising clean and free from strident highs or an edgy mid-range. Based upon the theme of the film and the age of the recording I think this is a complimentary presentation that sounds quite good.

Gandi comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Gandi is a visually compelling film that successfully illustrates the look and feel of its period based, biographical story. Like Lawrence of Arabia, this is a beautifully crafted film, both in narrative, and scope. The film’s gorgeous cinematography benefits from the enhanced resolution and emboldened contrast. Copious amounts of detail can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension. The rendering of the finest minutia in the film’s variety of textures are reproduced with stark realism. Captured on film, grain and minor innate softening are present. Neither are compromising save for a handful of wide-angle shots that lack the defining sharpness that pervades the majority of the presentation.

The wide color gamut and crisp, bright, imagery, enrich the sense of realism when looking at the differing environs featured in the story. The use of sepia is beautifully reproduced, while whites, grays and, primary colors show off the video’s superb combination of color and fidelity. Fleshtones are reproduced beautifully throughout the course of the presentation. I found this presentation to be marvelous, bringing this wonderful cinematic gem to light in its finest form.

Ultra HD Video Rating: 96

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the new Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I was surprised at how active the mix is. Similar to the Atmos mix for Lawrence of Arabia, the use of overhead sound objects elevates proportional correlation especially when applied during sequences that involve quick transitions from one perspective to another. When compared to the original 5.1 channel mix the track offers a noticeable improvement by opening up the soundstage, elevating the perception of low-level detail and even simulating broader dynamic range. Ravi Shankar’s memorable music score invigorates the extended sound field as its mood setting presence underscores the storyline.

The film is loaded with atmospherics, off screen cues and discrete sound effects that when applied using the freedom of object-based placement adds an enriching layer to the soundtrack. This is noticeable during the auditorium assembly during the meeting in South Africa (in the first act) with noteworthy examples being found throughout. There is no question that the new Atmos mix adds a complimentary layer that brings the listening experience up a notch.

Dolby Atmos Rating: 92

A League of Their Own comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Reminiscent of recent Ultra HD catalog releases from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, this rendering represents faithful reproduction bumped to the next level. A League of Their Own has never made for a commanding visual experience on home video but, that was more or less a given determined by its terrific cinematography and the elements necessary to convey the film’s tone.

I am happy to report that its primary foundation remains fully intact while revealing layers of seemingly new levels of detail, definition, color delineation, and emboldened contrast that elevate its thematic impact. The first shots of 1943 with its beautiful earth tones and subtle nuance convey the warmth of the suburban vistas. I was impressed with the sharpness and detail in the sequence where Kit, Marla and Dottie arrive at Wrigley Field.

The subtle minutia visible in the period clothing and facial features among the members of the cast was striking. Grain remains perfectly intact, with an even and filmic essence that underscores the thematic content. The color range in the film isn’t broad but, the rendering of primary colors was gratifying and contrastingly vivid. I also found that fleshtones appeared gradational and quite natural.

The addition of high dynamic range added a pleasing visual element that enriched both natural and artificial light. I also felt that the sequences that took place in limited lighting (such as the one as the Suds Bucket saloon) benefited from the application of HDR which emboldened their blacks and shadow delineation. In addition to the increase in resolution, this made the differences between the 1080p video and this rendering standout.

Hands down, this is the best that A league of Their Own has looked on home video. Kudos to Sony for giving this the treatment it deserves.

Ultra HD Video Rating: 92

Dolby Atmos:

The new Dolby Atmos mix uses the entire platform so as to broaden the soundstage. This includes off camera sounds and low-level ambience. The music is mixed over the sound field, adding natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the film’s thematic details. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized. I appreciated the fact that the sound designers didn't go overboard with the freedom of object versus channel-based mixing. The soundtrack retains much of its original essence with the Atmos mix adding a noticeable increase in scope.

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

Jerry Maguire comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This Ultra HD presentation of Jerry Maguire bests the 1080p version in every respect. With a discernible increase in detail and emboldened chromatic highlights the image appears noticeably sharper when compared to the 1080p version. Primary colors such red and blue are pleasingly rich while whites appear gradational and punchy. This film is rarely lent to low lit environs and dark cinematography, but when present, those aspects looked great, featuring added depth in the grays, blacks and shadows. It should be noted that eye straining dynamic bright elements are nowhere to found. The film’s use of natural and artificial lighting appears very lifelike.

Comparing the Ultra HD rendering to the latest Blu-ray release, I didn’t find them to be levels apart but, I think that much of this is lent to the innate quality of the film’s elements. Fortunately, the Ultra HD version enhances the positives, making for a gratifying viewing experience.

Ultra HD Video Rating: 92

Dolby Atmos:

The new Dolby Atmos mix, like that of A League of Their Own, uses the entire platform so as to broaden the soundstage. This includes off camera sounds and low-level ambience. The music is mixed over the sound field, adding natural depth to its orchestrated elements while complimenting the film’s thematic details. This is done to very good effect, correlating with the onscreen events quite nicely as the most minute audio cues are fully realized. I appreciated the fact that the sound designers didn't go overboard with the freedom of object versus channel-based mixing. The soundtrack retains much of its original essence with the Atmos mix adding a noticeable increase in scope.

Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

Bonus Features:
  • MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON Disc Breakdown
     4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10
    • 1.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
     Blu-ray Includes:
    • Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
    • Special Features:
    o Audio Commentary with Frank Capra Jr.
    o Frank Capra Jr. Remembers... Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    o Conversations with Frank Capra Jr.: The Golden Years
    o Conversations with Frank Capra Jr.: A Family History
    o Frank Capra: Collaboration
    o The Frank Capra I Knew
    o Frank Capra’s American Dream Feature-Length Documentary
    o Domestic & International Theatrical Trailers

Please make note of the following message from Sony Pictures regarding the bonus features from Lawrence of Arabia:

Due to a manufacturing error, the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection currently includes an incorrect LAWRENCE OF ARABIA special features disc, which does not include the full amount of intended content. This does not affect the 4K UHD presentation of the film itself. The correct special features disc will be available to consumers who purchase the set, whether as a pre-order or as part of a future order, pending the eventual availability of sets that already have the correct disc included. Consumers should receive communication from their retailer about this corrected disc soon, but may contact the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Customer Care team with any questions at [email protected] or 1-800-860-2878.

Note: I have placed an asterisk next to the content listed below that isn’t included with the release as reviewed.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Disc Breakdown

 4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
    o Feature split across two 4K Ultra HD discs for optimal bitrate
    • Dolby Atmos English audio
    • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Special Feature:
    o NEW: Unused International Prologue
     Feature Blu-ray Includes:
    • Special Feature:
    o Secrets of Arabia: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track
     Special Feature Blu-ray Includes:
    • Peter O’Toole Revisits Lawrence of Arabia
    • Making of Lawrence of Arabia Documentary
    * Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates
    *The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on Lawrence of Arabia
    • A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
    • Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (*1963 & 1970 Versions)
    • Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast
    • In Search of Lawrence
    • Romance of Arabia
    *King Hussein Visits Lawrence of Arabia Set
    *In Love with the Desert Documentary
    *Lawrence at 50: A Classic Restored
    *Archival Interviews
    o Steven Spielberg on Lawrence of Arabia
    o William Friedkin on Lawrence of Arabia
    o Sydney Pollack on Lawrence of Arabia
    • New York Premiere Footage
    • Advertising Campaigns
    • Vintage Trailers & TV Spots

DR. STRANGELOVE Disc Breakdown
     4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10
    • Special Features:
    o NEW: “Stanley Kubrick Considers the Bomb” Featurette
    o Mick Broderick Interview
    o Joe Dunton and Kelvin Pike Interview
    o Richard Daniels Interview
    o David George Interview
    o Rodney Hill Interview
    o Archival Stanley Kubrick Audio Interview
    o The Today Show Clips featuring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
    o Exhibitor Trailer
    o Theatrical Trailer
     Blu-ray Includes:
    • 5.1 TrueHD audio
    • Special Features:
    o The Cold War Feature-Length Picture-in-Picture Track
    o Inside Dr. Strangelove
    o No Fighting in the War Room
    o An Interview with Robert McNamara
    o Best Sellers
    o The Art of Stanley Kubrick
    o Split-Screen Interviews with Peter Sellers and George C. Scott

GANDHI Disc Breakdown
     4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative
    o Feature split across two 4K Ultra HD discs for optimal bitrate
    • 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Special Features:
    o NEW: Theatrical Trailers
    • Feature presented in high definition
    • 5.1 TrueHD audio
     Special Features:
    • Introduction & Commentary with Director Richard Attenborough
    • Gandhi’s Legacy: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track
     Special Feature Blu-ray Includes:
    • Sir Ben Kingsley Talks about Gandhi
    • Vintage Newsreel Footage
    • In Search of Gandhi
    • Reflections on Ben
    • Madeleine Slade: An Englishwoman Abroad
    • The Funeral
    • Looking Back
    • Shooting an Epic in India
    • Designing Gandhi
    • From the Director’s Chair
    • The Words of Mahatma Gandhi
    • The Making of Gandhi Photo Montage

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN Disc Breakdown
     4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative
    • Special Features:
    o Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    o NEW: 5 International Teasers & Trailers
    • Special Features:
    o NEW: 3 episodes from the 1993 TV series, “A League of Their Own”
    o Feature Commentary with Director Penny Marshall and Actresses Lori Petty, Tracy Reiner, and Megan Cavanagh
    o Nine Memorable Innings Documentary
    o Deleted Scenes
    o The Enduring Legacy of A League of Their Own
    o “This Used to Be My Playground” Music Video by Madonna

JERRY MAGUIRE Disc Breakdown
     4K Ultra HD Includes:
    • Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, fully restored from the original camera negative and approved by writer/director Cameron Crowe
    • Special Feature:
    o NEW: “The Fast Times and Long Career of Cameron Crowe” episode of the “Here’s The Thing” podcast, hosted by Alec Baldwin and produced by WNYC Studios
    • Special Features:
    o Feature-Length Picture-in-Picture Commentary with Cameron Crowe, Tom Cruise, Renée Zellweger & Cuba Gooding, Jr.
    o Jerry Maguire: We Meet Again 3-Part Documentary
    o Nearly 1 Hour of Deleted & Extended Scenes
    o Behind the Scenes at the Video Commentary
    o The Making of Jerry Maguire
    o Photo Gallery
    o “My First Commercial” by Rod Tidwell
    o Drew Rosenhaus: “How to Be a Sports Agent”
    o Original Deleted & Alternate Scenes
    o Rehearsal Footage
    o “Secret Garden” Music Video by Bruce Springsteen
    o Theatrical Trailer
  • Digital Codes
  • Collectible Packaging
  • 80 Page Hardcover Book
  • Columbia Classics Bonus DVD:
  • Excerpts from the 50th Anniversary TV Special
  • Mr. Attenborough & Mr. Gandi Documentary

Final Thoughts:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is proud to debut six of the most acclaimed and beloved films from its library on 4K Ultra HD disc for the first time ever, exclusively within the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection. This highly anticipated Ultra HD release is a class act from top to bottom. The newly restored video presentations, sound mixes and oodles of bonus material are a fans delight. Add to that, a beautiful keep case and collectible hardcover book and this one is a no-brainer. The omission of the correct bonus feature disc for Lawrence of Arabia has been addressed and should be provided as denoted. If you’re a film enthusiast the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection is simply a must have. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 06-15-2020, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 282
This is a very interesting collection. From an epic, to a drama, a bio pic, a reg comedy, a dark comedy...has it all apparently. And embarrassed to say I've only seen half of 'em.

I'm most interested in A League of Their Own. The BD I have was a bare release. And surprised there was a TV show. I don't remember that! Hoping that comes out on its own UHD Disc.
Ralph Potts likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #3 of 60 Old 06-15-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
I was a bit reluctant to buy the box set but when a I thought about the collection, I figured that Lawrence of Arabia was no brainer. Ghandi is worth it for Ben Kingsley's spectacular performance. A League of Their Own is a favorite that holds up after multiple viewings. Jerry Maguire, while not exactly a "classic" is, nonetheless, a very good movie with excellent performances by the entire cast. Dr. Strangelove remains a dark cautionary tale. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a classic but it's in the old Academy standard 4:3 aspect ratio. My Oppo-203 has a number of zoom options and the 1.3X zoom does a very good job of expanding 4:3 movies with little distortion. I really like the fact that each movie has its own case and slip cover so if the box doesn't fit on your shelf, you can stash it someplace and put the individual movies out. So plunk down some coin of the realm I did and should have the prize on Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Thanks Ralph - you have been busy
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #5 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
This is a very interesting collection. From an epic, to a drama, a bio pic, a reg comedy, a dark comedy...has it all apparently. And embarrassed to say I've only seen half of 'em.

I'm most interested in A League of Their Own. The BD I have was a bare release. And surprised there was a TV show. I don't remember that! Hoping that comes out on its own UHD Disc.
IIRC, Jerry Maguire and A League of Their Own were voted on by fans. That would explain the odd mix of movies.
tenthplanet and gossamer88 like this.
post #6 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 571
At first I thought I only wanted Lawrence and Strangelove but I've reassessed. Thanks Ralph.

I've never seen Gandhi or Mr. Smith, classics in their own right.
I saw League in the theater and vaguely remember it.
Same with Maguire except I do remember it well.
Some great moments but the love story element with the adorable, bespeckled toy boy is a bit much for me.
When I ordered from DD a week ago it was listed as in-stock.
Checked today and it's back ordered. Hopefully it was truly in-stock when I ordered.

post #7 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4100 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
I find the presentation of the data very confusing, and would have much preferred to see each movie have a separate thread. As it is I can't tell what ratings go with which movie. I do appreciate the amount of work that went into this, but I gave up trying to sort it all out. I get the impression that none of the films were a big let-down?
post #8 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I find the presentation of the data very confusing, and would have much preferred to see each movie have a separate thread. As it is I can't tell what ratings go with which movie. I do appreciate the amount of work that went into this, but I gave up trying to sort it all out. I get the impression that none of the films were a big let-down?
Greetings,

Sorry to hear that it's confusing to you. Each film's title in the audio/video comments section (beginning with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) is highlighted in bold, followed by my comments, first for the video, then the audio, with a numeric rating (highlighted in my usual color scheme depending on where it falls) at the bottom of each. Below is an example:

Quote:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD Mono Master Audio sound.

Shot in black and white, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington can at times be a somewhat darkish film with many sequences taking place in environs with only artificial lighting. Looking at the film's opening sequence (s), the improvement in definition is noticeable but, not staggering. Images onscreen have noteworthy depth with rendering that draws out discernible levels of delineation. Close ups reveal perceptible detail in the faces, hair and clothing worn by the cast as well as the physical make up of objects/surfaces within the frame which imparts a noticeable sense of dimension.

Blacks have excellent dynamic range and consistency which plays very well against the various stages of white and gray. The film uses key sequences that feature streaming light, shading and mixed content. The level of shadow detail here versus the 1080p rendering is improved, enhancing the variety of lighting schemes, transitions and purposeful shadows utilized in the film. Grain remains perfectly intact, with an even and organic essence that underscores the thematic content.

The addition of high dynamic range added a pleasing visual element that enlivened both brightly lit and low-level images onscreen. I also felt that the cinematography benefited from the application of HDR which emboldened blacks and shadow delineation. In addition to the increase in resolution, this made the differences between the 1080p video and this rendering standout. The result is a more vibrant and detail-rich picture that brings this classic to life like never before.

This Ultra HD presentation improves upon the previous Blu-ray release. I think that due to the innate nature of the source, those differences, depending on your level of interest, may or may not be significant. For me, this is the only way to watch this classic film.

DTS-Master Audio Mono:

The monaural soundtrack is presented in DTS-HD Master Audio lossless and while it won’t knock your socks off, I found it delivered the components of the original recording beautifully. The auditory is clean and free of unwanted clicks, pops or background hiss. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent as it is never lost amidst the other sounds coming through the central channel. Purists will appreciate the time and effort that went into maintaining the integrity of this great film’s original elements. The result will allow those seeing it for the first time to experience it as close to if not better than those that saw it in the theater 75 years ago.

The audio/video rating found in the rating section at the top is the overall average. To answer your question, yes, I thought that they all looked/sounded great.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #9 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Thanks for review Ralph.

God Bless!.
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work
post #10 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I would buy Owrence of Arabia by itself tho I have the 4k version from iTune store .
Ralph Potts likes this.

HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, , Panasonic UB820. Denon X6500. Def Tech X9080 series . BR: OnkyoTX696 , LG OLED 65 8 series , Def tech 9020 5.2 .
post #11 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you Ralph for your exhaustive review. Now that you've seen these movies in 4K stop whatever your doing and ship the box set to me. There will be no questions asked.
post #12 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
Thank you Ralph for your exhaustive review. Now that you've seen these movies in 4K stop whatever your doing and ship the box set to me. There will be no questions asked.

Greetings,

hmmmmm NOPE!

Regards,
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #13 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Awesome review(s) Ralph! You put a lot of effort into them, thank you!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
I echo what others have said Ralph....you put a lot of work and hours in viewing and reviewing this set...and I THANK YOU! There are only "three out of the five" that interest me (I won't say which three though Lawrence of Arabia is one of them!), so I may just wait for their single releases.

Denny

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Panasonic DP-UB820...LG UHD UBK90...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-17-2020 at 04:26 AM.
post #15 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I would buy Owrence of Arabia by itself tho I have the 4k version from iTune store .
"Owrence", it's ironic because earlier I was telling my wife about the Arabs calling Peter O'Toole "Owrence" instead of Lawrence because of their accent.
I bit the bullet and bought the whole "shebang." I hope it gets to me this coming Saturday.
Soccerdude and Ralph Potts like this.

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
post #16 of 60 Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
"Owrence", it's ironic because earlier I was telling my wife about the Arabs calling Peter O'Toole "Owrence" instead of Lawrence because of their accent.
I bit the bullet and bought the whole "shebang." I hope it gets to me this coming Saturday.
Congrats . I just bought Owrence again along with the rest Columbia titles from iTune store for 49 bucks. They all look great in 4k .

HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, , Panasonic UB820. Denon X6500. Def Tech X9080 series . BR: OnkyoTX696 , LG OLED 65 8 series , Def tech 9020 5.2 .
post #17 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Do you know when/if this collection will be available in Europe?
post #18 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Congrats . I just bought Owrence again along with the rest Columbia titles from iTune store for 49 bucks. They all look great in 4k .
Is the iTunes version of Owrence in 4K with Dolby Vision or just 4K?
Soccerdude likes this.
post #19 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
A cautionary note. If you order the box set from Best Buy (only available for home delivery) don't count on having your delivery date met. My set was supposed to be delivered today but there was never any tracking information. Sure enough this morning the BB web site had changed the delivery status to Delayed with a "If you don't get a delivery by June 26th, blah, blah". I was not willing to roll the dice on this and cancelled the order. I put in a new order with Amazon with a Friday delivery date (hopefully). There have been a lot of complaints about BB's home deliveries (some problems are understandable in this time of Covid) so the best bet is to get curbside delivery if it's available or if your local BB is open and has a product in stock go in and buy it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb595 View Post
Is the iTunes version of Owrence in 4K with Dolby Vision or just 4K?
Nope just 4k and it looks darn good awesome . Owrence was on sale $4.99 last yr in 4k at iTune store but now the Columbia collection is on sale for $49 which's a steal of a deal .
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Soccerdude; 06-17-2020 at 10:08 AM.
post #21 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Excellent review, Ralph. A lot of work

If I had not just purchased the complete series of McLeod's Daughters that plays in the U.S., I would get the whole collection. But if I could pick up Lawrence of Arabia in 4K by itself, I would go for it.
Ralph Potts and djoberg like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 8 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Sony XBR-75Z9D,. LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans
post #22 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 4433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
At first I thought I only wanted Lawrence and Strangelove but I've reassessed. Thanks Ralph.

I've never seen Gandhi or Mr. Smith, classics in their own right.
I saw League in the theater and vaguely remember it.
Same with Maguire except I do remember it well.
Some great moments but the love story element with the adorable, bespeckled toy boy is a bit much for me.
When I ordered from DD a week ago it was listed as in-stock.
Checked today and it's back ordered. Hopefully it was truly in-stock when I ordered.
Mine shipped yesterday and I pre-ordered it back on April 20th. When did you order yours ?

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #23 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the review Ralph. I had the set on pre-order (comes tomorrow), but I'll always read what you review.
Ralph Potts and RobKnapp like this.

post #24 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I echo what others have said Ralph....you put a lot of work and hours in viewing and reviewing this set...and I THANK YOU! There are only "three out of the five" that interest me (I won't say which three though Lawrence of Arabia is one of them!), so I may just wait for their single releases.

Denny
I think the future of physical disc reissues of catalog material is cloudy. One reason I ordered this set is some of titles may never be offered separately, the market is just not there. You'll see 4k discs of new movies, but catalog titles..that ship is sailing away.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #25 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 212
+1. I was disappointed with both Jaws and Top Gun 4k. BR was fine for me. As for Lawrence of Arabia, not going to quadruple dip on this one, Laser, DVD and BR. Enough is enough. Blade Runner was the only one so far I've spent the money on, still not impressed with with Blade Runner 4k; they are old issues. Same goes with the Sean Connery 007 4k.
post #26 of 60 Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dog gone you, Ralph

A few posts above I mentioned that I had just spent a lot of money on a series from Australia and would only pick up Lawrence of Arabia if it were in 4K.

Now I find myself thinking I might get the Columbia Classics.

Now my question to you: If my weak body succumbs to your review, can I send you the bill?
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 9 Noctua cooling fans

Last edited by JimShaw; 06-17-2020 at 05:54 PM.
post #27 of 60 Old 06-18-2020, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Dog gone you, Ralph

A few posts above I mentioned that I had just spent a lot of money on a series from Australia and would only pick up Lawrence of Arabia if it were in 4K.

Now I find myself thinking I might get the Columbia Classics.

Now my question to you: If my weak body succumbs to your review, can I send you the bill?
Greetings,

Sure Jim, send the bill. I am not promising that it get paid though..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #28 of 60 Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sure Jim, send the bill. I am not promising that it get paid though..

Regards,

Ralph

Thank you

At least you've given me hope.

post #29 of 60 Old 06-18-2020, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2957
Well done Ralph.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #30 of 60 Old 06-19-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Well done Ralph.

Greetings,

Thanks buddy..

Regards,