Jack Daniels Theater Construction - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 212 Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have visited this site numerous times over the last year. I have approximately 98% of the basement framed. (except for soffits) I need help/input on my dedicated HT and game rooms.

The theater is approximately 13' x 16'9". I have a riser built in place that is
13' x 62" x 7". This equals out to the seating being 16.5 feet from the screen on the rear row. The front row would be 10.5-11' from the screen. I plan on putting in a 110" screen. I am wondering if these dimensions are good or is the front row to close???

I will be purchasing Berkline 090's or 091's. My seating setup would be 3 seats in each row. This works well considering I would have space on each side of the rear row to put an audio cabinet on each side.

I'll give some other thoughts on my next post and some pics to help out. I need to finalize this because the more I look at it, the more I think I need to make changes. If you guys could help on ideas and different posts, I would appreciate it. Like I always say, It is, what it is!!:
Also, I've attached some pics but does anyone know how to place them directly into the text post??
LL
LL
LL

Jack Daniels Theater Construction

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 212 Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM

Nice is there a door down there?

If not looks like it will be a pain to get furniture down those steps and around the bend.
post #3 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Hello and welcome to the forum! As far as the photo question you can use an image hosting site such as photobucket and then link to the image there and the image would show in your post with out having to click on a link. You have to use the "Go Advanced" option while posting and you'll see all of the options for you to do this.

One suggestion I would make regarding the audio cabinets is to keep as much gear together ie. one wider/taller one on one side vs. two separated buy your seats. Having audio/video gear separated by say 13 feet my leave the room more balanced looking but will in the long run possibly cause you more expense (additional cables between components) and more headaches in wiring and planning. Just my .02

Your room dimensions are very workable and using a 1080p projector at 10.5-11 feet you should be Ok however some projectors have a more visible pixel structure than others.

Good Luck and enjoy building your theater.

Regards

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi there.
I can make a suggestion...normally it is preferred to build the riser and stage after the Dwall is in place. Can't tell by the photo but the riser shouldn't be coupled (nailed or screwed) to the walls. Looking good!
J

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #5 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yea the basement is a walkout. Forgot to mention. It will be a breeze to bring in bulkier items. As far as the cabinets, i like the balanced look of most rooms and the only reason I think I am going to place one on each side is the right side would be all audio. This would make it easy to access since I will have a storage closet in the rear of the theater. The left side cabinet would strictly be for DVD's, Controllers, and what ever else "junk wise" that we would have in there. If I were not to use that I also thought of placing a 2'x2'x10' cabinet under the screen in the front. I thought this would cost me more in the long run due to cable prices. Suggestions???
As far as the HT room dimensions the HT store I recently visited said that your eyes would constantly be turning side to side watching the screen sitting any closer than 14feet. I told them I didn't believe it.

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #6 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided the soffits in the HT are two-fold.
1. Hiding pipes. (hated these)
2. I installed 4" recessed cans.
***I don't know if I should install two over the screen or is this a waste?***
3. It gives it more of "theater" look and a trey ceiling look.

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #7 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #9 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Bear with me, I just figured out how to post pics in the post thanks to RTROSE. Thanks a lot. Now I can really get on with the build.

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #10 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 14
Also from experience I hate having my entrance right on the front wall as I want to go wider with the screen and it pushes the side speakers in the entrance path or if I were to build out and put the speakers behind the screen it would bump out in the path. So if at all possible relocating the door would be my suggestion.

Nate

www.NastyPerformance.com

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #11 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #12 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #13 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

The sports lounge will have an air hockey table on the left side of the room with a flat screen above for viewing from the booth. On the right will be a 10' wide by 5' deep restaurant style booth that I will build after DW stage.

Final details to come later on that. I thought of closing the room in but I think I like the "open" feel of the entire area. It could still change. If I did that than I could enlarge the HT on the other side of the steps by 3' longer. This would make the HT 13' x 19'9".

Only problem I see is making the Sports Lounge real small. I don't know until I get further along.

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #14 of 212 Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Welcome to the Forum! You are going to find a lot of really great information and help here. A couple of suggestions. You can edit your photos in in photobucket to re-size them for message boards so they are easier to view for curmudgeons like me.

Is sound isolation a concern of yours? Keep in mind that it is more than keeping the audio in the room from going into the rest of the house. It is even more important to keep outside noise out of the HT while you are watching movies, sports, etc. If you do want to isolate the room, you will want to get the drywall, green glue, etc installed before you build the riser and soffits.

Good luck and have fun with the process.

Chris

My Build Thread
Starting Drywall

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
post #15 of 212 Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseal View Post

This equals out to the seating being 16.5 feet from the screen on the rear row. The front row would be 10.5-11' from the screen. I plan on putting in a 110" screen. I am wondering if these dimensions are good or is the front row to close???

10.5-11 will be just fine for a 110 diagonal inch screen

However a 62 inch deep riser will be very tight for berkline recliners. I have the berkline 099s. I just measured and it takes a full 68 inches to recline the chair. Add to that your feet hanging off the end. My riser is 80 inches and I wouldn't want it any smaller.
post #16 of 212 Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've decided to move the HT wall back. It will be nice having that 3 additional feet. Now all I have to do is re-frame the Sports Lounge steps. No biggie just a couple of hours of work with a J.D.

For all of you drinkers out there that is what I decided to name the HT. For one, it's the family name, two; I love me some bourbon.

Does anyone know whats a reasonable pair of front speakers going for via the net? I'm thinking of building a cavity beside the screen now to house them. INPUT

I've tried to edit these pics in photobucket. They continue to have Microsoft errors when I click resize to web size. I'll keep trying. For now they will still be full size so be patient. http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...April08020.jpg

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #17 of 212 Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bar

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #18 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

I'm thinking of building a cavity beside the screen now to house them.

I don't mind the full size pics at all it shows more detail.

As for speakers keep in mind that placing a speaker in a cavity is generally not recommended unless the crossover has been designed for in-wall mounting.

Also don't forget about locations for the center and sub(s).
post #19 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

For all of you drinkers out there that is what I decided to name the HT. For one, it's the family name, two; I love me some bourbon.

I wondered about that. I'll have to show the wife this one. She loves that sippin whiskey. I don't mind it and I also like Crown."

This space for rent!
post #20 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

BigmouthinDC, Where do you suggest would be the best possible place to locate the sub? I will have the audio cabinet in the rear of the HT or I could build an entire cabinet on the screen wall underneath the screen. I have thought of the pros and cons of both. The rear cabinet would give me easier access. The front would give me a better line of sight for equipment, hidden behind the possibilty of a smoked glass.

The HT we just finished in my cousins basement had the in-wall speakers in the wall not in a cavity. More ideas on the front speaker location might have to be thought of???

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #21 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I need to spend a day to clean up the mess so far. Tired of walking over trash.

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #22 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

BigmouthinDC, Where do you suggest would be the best possible place to locate the sub? I will have the audio cabinet in the rear of the HT or I could build an entire cabinet on the screen wall underneath the screen. I have thought of the pros and cons of both. The rear cabinet would give me easier access. The front would give me a better line of sight for equipment, hidden behind the possibilty of a smoked glass.

I would flip the location of the door so it opens further back in the room then build a modified version (not as deep) of BritinVA screen wall and stage. In that case all speakers and sub are hidden behind the acoustically transparent fabric.

Read through Brits thread if you haven't already to get ideas for your front end. Also ChinaDogs.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...82#post7972682

Here is ChinaDogs:

Here it is covered with fabric and carpeted peaking through the door, his door is just about where yours would be:

Now you need to think about room acoustics and wall treatments and how the door effects the first reflection points. An acoustic panel can be mounted on the door, but not if it's a pocket door.

But you need to develop an acoustic plan for the entire room.

Put the equipment in the rear.
post #23 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some say that for their "viewing experience" having the equipment up front with all of the lights blinking and showing is bothersome. I have elected to have my equipment rack in the back of the theater so as not to have any issues with equipment up front.

As for the sub placement there are may opinions about the best place but the actual answer is "it depends". I am not an expert on sub placement however I have planned for four different sub locations in my own HT. Two up front by the screen in the corners and two locations along the side walls. My plan is to sit in my preferred seating location and try my sub in all of the locations and "see" what hears best to me and that is where I will locate my sub. Not the most scientific mind you but pretty silly simple.

I do remember reading somewhere that the corners of the room my actually give you increased bass response however that may not be necessarily a good thing in HT applications.

Now that I have throughly confused you someone else can chime in and give you better info.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #24 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I need to spend a day to clean up the mess so far. Tired of walking over trash.

I know how you feel. I need to do this myself however I'm holding off until I have all of my electrical done. No need to clean up wood shavings several different times. My wife doesn't share this view howver!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #25 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Good places to try the sub out are 1/3, 1/5, 2/5, 1/7, 2/7, 3/7 of the rooms width from either side wall along the front wall on a sand filled stage.
post #26 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the input. I forgot to mention or surely you noticed that the door is actually going to be a pocket door. I couldn't pass up on the good deal, plus I already have a solid core door to fit it. My dilemma is that I will probably have to put a sweep on the bottom. I actually moved that front wall back 3 feet tonight and now the room dimensions are 19'9" x 13'. I really like the difference it makes. What's the pros and cons of a front stage? just for asthetics or does it serve a purpose. I've seen both, never asked anyone at those home shows.

According to what I'm reading,I should wait until after drywall to build the stage and the speaker areas?

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #27 of 212 Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

If you could, what are average depths and dimensions on a typical HT stage?

Electrical Stage
Odds and Ends
post #28 of 212 Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

What's the pros and cons of a front stage? just for asthetics or does it serve a purpose. I've seen both, never asked anyone at those home shows.

To stage or not to stage that is one of the top questions bantered about. Just like electric or manual reclining seats.

Here is a recent thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rpose+of+stage

Also be sure to go through the show me your screen wall and stage threads for ideas on stage.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=show

https://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=994029

Dimensions are totally discretionary but should be big enough to hold the speakers.

this is my favorite. It makes a statement that "this is a serious theater, I know what I'm doing, don't mess with me!!!"

post #29 of 212 Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The sports lounge will have an air hockey table on the left side of the room with a flat screen above for viewing from the booth. [SNIP]

Are you building the air hockey table? I was just curious what the table was in this pic??? Those are some healthy legs on that table.

Joe V
Time > Money

V-T Theater 2.0
V-T Theater 1.0
post #30 of 212 Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Well, I've decided to move the HT wall back. It will be nice having that 3 additional feet. Now all I have to do is re-frame the Sports Lounge steps. No biggie just a couple of hours of work with a J.D.

Good deal - I think this is a good choice. I also like the larger size pictures.

Keep up the good work,

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page