Need motivation? Get "LOGANED" - Page 126 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #3751 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I'm not dead yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Not Dead Yet.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2496380  

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I thought you were dead...

Hahahaha!!!! This is not the first time one of your posts has caused me to spray coffee out my nose holes.

I'm not sure if you owe me coffee, or if I owe you a beer (or several) for the entertainment! Probably the latter
brazensol likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #3753 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's almost Christmas, I'm in a blogging mood...anyone want to hear about my kidney stone?
brazensol likes this.

Tom Logan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Hahahaha!!!! This is not the first time one of your posts has caused me to spray coffee out my nose holes.

I'm not sure if you owe me coffee, or if I owe you a beer (or several) for the entertainment! Probably the latter
Sorry!

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #3755 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
It's almost Christmas, I'm in a blogging mood...anyone want to hear about my kidney stone?
By all means! Most people I know who've had the pleasure of stones said they wished they were dead...
J_P_A likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #3756 of 3770 Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Since you asked...…

Keep in mind that I had NEVER been to or in the hospital. No broken bones, no joint replacements, brain transplants, nothing. You could call me, ummm. virile!

I was home one afternoon last August doing the fan dance. This involved an intricate dance of taking down a fan in the family, installing a new fan there, taking down the fan in the computer room, installing the fan from the family room in the computer room and taking down the fan in the LOGANESS's craft room and installing the fan from computer room. And trashing the fan from the craft room that started this whole mess.

It started out as a nice day so I opened up the windows. As the day wore it on, warmed up, but as you guys know, I was "almost" done and didn't think I needed to stop to close the windows and turn on the AC. I was up and down ladders all day and working up near the ceiling; it was hot. To say the least. Around 2:30 I started sweating. A lot. My back started to ache, I thought from up and down the ladders and working overhead. Anyone have to work overhead while building their theaters? I thought so.

Around 3:00 o'clock I call my son (who was home at the time) to help me attach blades to the second fan install. About 5 minutes after that, I have to sit down because my back is KILLING me. NOW I'm in pain and sweating like crazy and getting nervous, because well, heart conditions run in the family. I say, I'm going to go lie down. I get to the bed, I CAN'T lie down, it hurts too, much. By now I'm moaning in agony. My son comes in and says "do you want me to take you to the hospital." I say "no, take me to the urgent care across the street," which is where my primary care doctor works out of.

So I hobble to the car and I'm moaning and REALLY starting to sweat and the pain is going through the roof. I can tell I'm scaring my son as I'm almost crying. We get there about 3:20 and as we walk in, I can see about 3 people waiting to check in a pretty full waiting room. I let out an F-bomb, apparently louder then I thought because all of a sudden three people came out and took me right in. By now, yeah, I'm crying, yelling, moaning and cussing up a storm it hurts so bad. My blood pressure is through the roof and my arms are going numb. They start an IV and they're asking me questions which I'm doing my best not cuss while answering, but it ain't happening. What my pain level? "F-ing 15 or 20! Jesus it to hurts!"

Doctor comes in and first thing I hear is "call the ambulance." Then, "I'm going to give you something to calm you down." Which kind of works. The ambulance shows up and they get me on the stretcher inside and we're on our way. I have a nice conversation with the crew on the way. "Hey, no lights and sirens?" No, it's safer in rush hour traffic without them. "This is my first time an ambulance. Do I get a pin or something? You know, when I was kid the first time I flew in an air plane I got a pair of wings." No we don't do that. "Then turn on the siren at least" No.

We get to the hospital and things don't seem as dire. THEN they hit me up with the good stuff! After a bout 10 minutes, nurse comes in and asks my pain level now. I say "Zero. It WAS 15 or 30, now it's ZERO." She says that will wear off in about hour, let us know if you need more. I say, "Oh, I WILL. I'm not going through THAT again." So, they rum an MRI and now we're waiting for results.

Now the reason I was home midweek in August is that I was "between jobs." But that's another story. So now it's about 7:00PM and we're STILL waiting for the results and my cell phone rings. I answer it. It's a recruiter. So I do about a 15 minute phone screen. My wife and son can't believe it. I say, "what? it was recruiter." LOGANESS says, "and your in the hospital and high!" Not 10 minutes later ANOTHER recruiter calls and I give HIM a 15 minute phone screen. LOGANEES and Son are rolling on the floor laughing.

FINALLY we get the results. Doctor comes in and explains it like this; stones 1-2mm you can pass, stones 3-4mm you can pass butyou're gonna need some help, 5mm you aren't passing. She says, "you, my friend have an 11." That's right one-one, ELEVEN. Now I'm not so embarrassed for crying like a baby.

She says since you seem to be in no pain, you can go home and well send some percocet, but if it moves, you'll be right back here. I say, "you can bet on that, faster than you know!" One of the treatment options they don't do at that hospital and she says they can move me to the one that does or I can stay and get it lasered tomorrow. I say I'm not ging to another hospital and have to be readmitted and all that crap, so i'm staying.

Next day, up to surgery and by 1:00pm I'm out and I'm home by about 3:30 which is just about 24 hours for the whole ordeal.

I've had three women who have had both given birth and had kidney stones tell me the kidney stones are worse. And I believe them.

But wait....there's more!
Now the stent they have to insert, is another story. Well not the insert part, because, well, I was out of it. It's the removal.
J_P_A and brazensol like this.

Tom Logan

post #3757 of 3770 Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 383
That sounds terrible! 11mm is HUGE!
tlogan6797 likes this.
post #3758 of 3770 Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 573
So.... Did you get the job?!?!?!?!

EDIT:

I mean... Sorry to hear about your ordeal

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.

Last edited by J_P_A; 12-14-2018 at 10:21 AM.
post #3759 of 3770 Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sounds terrible! 11mm is HUGE!
Go big or go home! Picture a square made from 8mm film on all four sides, then BIGGER. Yeah that's me, bigger! Doc said it was 11x7mm.

Quote:
So.... Did you get the job?!?!?!?!
No, not that one, but two weeks later on the day I had the stent removed I DID get an offer and took it.

Tom Logan

post #3760 of 3770 Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had a boss from way back when who described what his kidney stones passing felt like. He mentioned something about a bowling ball with razor blades attached...! My wife had gall stones and she said the pain of passing those was worse than any of her four labor/delivery ordeals.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
tlogan6797 likes this.

Denali Cinema
post #3761 of 3770 Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, that kind of covers it.

Tom Logan

post #3762 of 3770 Old 02-13-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm BAAAAAAaaaaaack!

THIS time with something, and like the summertime blues, I got it bad and there ain't no cure.

UPGRADITIS!

That's right, The Yellow Dog Cinema has been UPGRADED! I came in to a little money and it was burning a hole in my pocket. Then I saw the price drop. Which likely means a newer version is about to be released, but the Panny 4000 bought under those same circumstances served me well.

The Panasonic 4000 is replaced with an Epson 4050U. I don't see the need for the UE wireless connection in the theater since I have conduit. If it was a pre-finished room with no conduit, it would be convenient. And initial reviews were that the wireless was balky. So, I bought the U version, which of course required an upgraded cable (Monoporie Redmere, and ys 50ft which works fine) and a Monoprice 4K capable 4x4 matrix.

So far, the faux-4K picture is stunning, even on my old screen. Being a fan of 3D, also bought new glasses and I find the 3D far superior to anything I've had up to this point. My one complaint is all the hype around the lens memory auto zoom and focus being touted as CONSTANT IMAGE HEIGHT! Every review I read and watched mentioned this. Given that same ability in the Panny 4000, I was sold!

The reality.....there is no auto-switiching between lens memeory settings. So, if you have a 235 screen as I do, you end up not with CIH, but CIW. You set memory pos for 235 to fill the screen and another for 16:9. When you are watching 235 and the AR changes to 16:9 (or whatever that IMAX ratio is), the WIDTH stays the same and the top and bottom are off the screen. You have to hit the Lens Mem button on the remote to call up the 16:9 setting and then back again. Conversely, when set on 16:9 (which does not fill the full width of the 235 screen) and the AR changes to 235, the width stays the same within that 16:9 and shrinks down with black bars at top and bottom, as if it you were watching a TV. AND you get an annoying LENS CHANGING message popup just like the Panny 4000 had, but it was made configurable in the 5000 series.

Come on EPSON! We know auto switching can be done. Pannasonic figured it out (and they don't even make projectors anymore!), you should be able to. AND turn off the lens changing message. I JUST pushed the button, I KNOW it's changing. Send us a FW update!

OK, SECOND complaint. The case is WHITE in the Home Cinema series. You have to go to the PRO series to get black. Oh, well. We sit in fromt of it so it's not really a problem.

A couple of pics.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Epson 5040U.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2525248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson5040 front.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2525250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson4050 back.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2525252  

Tom Logan

post #3763 of 3770 Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Now, the projector had to be hung, which meant taking down the old one. The new one can use the same mount, so it also meant removing the mount arms from the Panny. Anyone ever try this? Can it be done? I spent at least an hour screwing around with it. By the end of the hour, I had broken one. But there were four and I could get away with using three. Ended up breaking ALL of them! Pics are what I ended up with.

And we had to run the new cable. Into empty conduit. Well, mostly empty, I needed it to run the IR eye from the projector back to the IR/RF converter. It's a tiny little wire in BIG conduit. I had to remove the entire mount from the ceiling in order to access the end of the conduit. I have my son helping feed the cable through from the back of the room and I'm pulling it from the ceiling. Pretty straight forward UNTIL.....

I can't find the end of the cable. I can tell it's right there, but I can't see it. While building, I had cut a couple of large holes in an old work outlet box, pulled the wires through, installed the box and added some putty inside the box to help seal the large holes. FINALLY I get to where I can see it, but I can't get a hold of it to pull it through the box. It's RIGHT THERE. I tried everything I had around to try to grab it. I got a REALLY good look at it and I could see the conduit wasn't lining up with the hole in the box and that's what was hanging it up. So I try futzing around moving the conduit and trying to grab hold, but no luck. So I say I'm going to remove the box. It's old work; should come right back out. Loosen it up, but can't get it out. I'm thinking maybe I ran a screw through to attach to a joist. I pull out all the still tacky putty, no screw in there. So I can see a little ridge of plastic where the hole is and I say if I can cut that out, I'll have a BIGGER hole and I can grab the cable. Decide I don't want to risk cutting it and nicking the expensive cable. So I do what anyone would do.

I grab my trusty pliers and figure if I can break the little bridge, I can twist the little piece out the rest of the way. I break it, no problem. As I'm twisting, the whole box comes out! So NOW it's easy-peasy to grab the cable and pull it through. FINALLY, it was just a matter of putting everything back together.

And a run to BB Magnolia to get a NEW mount with new arms. I really only needed the arms, but what are you gonna do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old mount 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2525260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Panny.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2525262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old mount 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2525264  
rfbrang likes this.

Tom Logan

Last edited by tlogan6797; 02-14-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #3764 of 3770 Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
...but what are you gonna do?
Well....

...sir...

...you're uh...

You're gonna get Loganed, sir.
post #3765 of 3770 Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Well....

...sir...

...you're uh...

You're gonna get Loganed, sir.
I don't think you quite understand. I am so far from being LOGANED that I'm now in Dimension Y

And I can tell you, it's lonely here in Dimension Y.

Tom Logan

post #3766 of 3770 Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, and a little tidbit I forgot to mention while pulling the new cable.

i actually remembered to tie some string onto the heavy duty pull string so that I could, you know, pull the heavy duty string BACK through. On the last pull to try to get it into the old work box, BOTH strings came off. no problem still had plenty of the light string to pull it back through. After I got done pulling the cable and remounting the old work box, I realized that light string had come off of the heavy string and the heavy string was lying on the floor. So I say to my son, "Now all I we have to do is pull this back through. Go on back there." I bend down to pick up the heavy string to tie it to the light string, I look up and the light sting IS GONE and my son is happily pulling away.

So an argument over what was said ensued. I don't care what HE says, I NEVER said to start pulling. I'm just sayin.

I say it's OK we can fix this. Go ahead and pull it all the way through and we'll do the "tie it to a plastic bag and vacuum it through" trick. I tie it to a bag, start feeding it through and turn on the vac and it goes about 5 feet and stops. Back it out, TAPE the vac to the conduit to make sure it has enough suction, try again and it goes about 5 feet and stops. I give a tug to back it out AND THE BAG RIPS AND THE STRING COMES OUT BUT NOT THE BAG.

NOW I have a big ol' conduit with a plastic bag stuck in it about 5 feet in. at this point, if I EVER have to run a new cable, I guess it's the ol' "use the old cable to pull the new cable and hope the bag comes with it" trick.

Welcome to Dimension Y.

Tom Logan

Last edited by tlogan6797; 02-14-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #3767 of 3770 Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 1799
What is this???? Well thought-out plans...completed upgrades...rising above and solving construction challenges on-the-spot...timely and well-documented posts???

It's like everything I thought I knew in life was built on a lie.

Unsubscribing....for my own safety!

PS- nice work! Glad you are enjoying the upgrades.
chirpie, tlogan6797, BllDo and 1 others like this.
post #3768 of 3770 Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Awww, the old gang is coming back! First log-in in a while!

Sorry about the stone! They suck...been through that, too. Taking the stent out is no fun.
tlogan6797 likes this.

John
post #3769 of 3770 Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
Taking the stent out is no fun.
You can say that again!

Tom Logan

post #3770 of 3770 Old 02-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Nice upgrade. I remember stalking the forum before you completed your space, dang time flies.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page