The Old Dungeon Build Begins... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 94 Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

Been checking out this forum for about ½ year now and wanted to join in on the fun of posting my basement / theater build. Ofcourse you all here have some serious skills and have created some masterpieces. But what impressed me the most about your builds here, is how clean you keep your basements or area during the build.
I actually bought most of the 2x4s, DW, OSB, etc prior to starting (big mistake), so it took up a lot of room. So I got junk everywhere. You'll have to excuse all the junk in the pics.

I'm a pretty handy guy, did a lot of construction work back in HS/college and after until I landed a career job.
I'm a total noob to AV stuff and acoustical sound treatments, etc. Never knew a room needed to be treated until I came here and read all the good information.
My last home theater was when I was in HS, living at my parents, my bros and I bought a 36 or 37 tube TV (was considered big at the time), with a Sony hometheater in the box 5.1 system. We set it all up in their basement. We thought it rocked. My buddies back in HS/college all called it the Dungeon. It was an older house, low ceiling basement, concrete floors, had that mildewy smell to it. But it was a good place where we all hung out to pre-game, etc.

Anyway, Did a lot of reading here, learned a lot, so I thought I would share my build.

We moved into a brand new home about 1 year ago. The size of the basement is about 1500 Sqft.
Plans are to:
Add 1 guest bedroom / fitness room, 1 full bath, 2 storage closets, bar, open space theater/family room and fireplace/tv room. Here is a rough layout. (very rough)

The theater room will be open, so you can see it from the bar. I like to have my buddies over for drinks and games and sports watching so I wanted the open look.
Probably not good for acoustics, but that's ok.

For theater equipment I will have:
106 16:9 Elite CinemaTension2 screen (on order)
Denon 4308
PS3
And either the Panasonic AE2000 or
Epson 1080UB
I have Rocket Speakers and MWF 15 sub.

I started this build Aug. 2007. I wanted to finish by June 2008, but that's not going to happen. I try not to overextend myself (hey, I'm Old! )so I don't get completely frustrated with this and drop it all.

Since then, wife got pregnant (# 2 on the way), due in Oct. this year. She quit her teaching job, and will be cutting off the funds the end of this summer, so I need to be done by the end of Aug. it's crunch time!

Anyhow, on with the build.

Hard to imagine, but this was my house a little over a year ago.

I'm building room by room. Starting with Bathroom, Guest room, then area where shuffle board will be, then Fireplace area, then theater area, then Bar area.
Must be done in that order, so no temptation.

Bathroom, needs to be completely finished before moving on, then guest bedroom.
All the other areas will be completed to drywall, then move on to the next room, will do the mud/tape, sand when all DW is up in the whole basement.

I will do DD and GG all ceiling. Also will DD/GG all the walls in the theater room and wall that touches the guest bedroom and stairs. Will have R19 stuffed in the joist, then 1 layer of 30lb roof felt, then. So far I have bought 7 cases of GG, most recently from the soundproofing company. Nice folks.

Actually, for the ceiling instead of DD, I did 7/16th OSB, and than ½ DW.
I hear the OSB is equivalent to ½ DW in weight / mass.
I regret doing this, as OSB is much harder to work with, but at the time OSB was less than ½ cost of DW and I wasn't thinking.

So, don't copy this part. PIA.

Also, no Clips or any necessary sound isolation steps, as I did not know about that prior to finishing framing and some DW. So too late for that. I just found out about GG not too long ago so I ordered that prior to putting up the 2nd layer of DW.
Also use acoustical caulk to seal the gaps around the outlets, edges of the walls, etc. Got this from the soundproof company as well.

We do have Dual Zone HVAC, so sounds from HVAC will not reach bedroom floor. I wrapped duct insulation wrap around the vents anyway.

I don't mind some sound escaping though, just don't want it all to escape.

Anyhow, so I don't bore you with the details of the bathroom or bedroom, here are just a few finished pics:

Shower has dual jets. I love these btw. It's like getting massage when they're on. I need to redo my master bedroom showers to add these!

Ok, moving on.

Here is the room where the shuffle board will be. Added 2 huge closets. It's actually 1 big closet with 2 sets of double doors.
3rd door is for the water pipe. And some storage space.

4 zone lighting in this room.
One is for stairs, one is for when the main basement light is turned on, this will rarely be used, 1 for shuffle board, when in use, and one for that room.

Understairs will also be a storage closet. Can't have too much storage.

Fireplace TV room.
I bought a 36 natural gas FP.
Bought some CSST and ran the lines from the manifold to the FP. Had the pros do the connection, as you need to be trained and certified to do this. After watching the guy hook it up, it didn't see hard at all, but better to not play with gas yah know.

Called up a guy to give me a quote on cutting a hole through the poured concrete for the exhaust and he wanted $200. that sound reasonable to me, but instead I decided to do it myself.
I bought a cheap concrete drill from harbor freight tools. There is one near my house and I never buy tools from there, except for the use it one time only type tools. This thing drilled through 8 poured concrete like nothing! Amazing.

That is one of 2 tools that I purchased for the basement build.

Drilled a bunch of holes and pounded it out.

I used my old air hammer/chisel to clean it up and it broke about 1/2 the way through! Argghhh. Oh well, it's about 10 yrs old anyway. Good thing this new drill has a chisel feature, so I used that.

FP is in, tested it, it works, fan blows serious heat, etc, all is good.

Ran some 14-2 inwall speaker wires for future inwall speakers, for 5.1 system in the future. Also ran 2 component, 2 HDMI, Cat5's and RG6 as well. You never know. It will be many years before I actually have a flat screen in this room, but just thinking ahead.

This room will also have a ceiling fan..

Now, the theater room.

I added a bulk head to one side to mirror the other side that houses the HVAC trunk.
But in this one, will hide a 3 conduit pipe that will go to the projector. I have a built in projector housing, instead of using a mount. Figure it's easier this way.
Will use a Panamax inwall outlet surge thingy.

Btw, All Can lights in the basement are IC Air Tight.
4 - 6 cans in this room and 6 - 4 cans. I put 2 4 can in each left/right soffit and 2 up front to aim at the screen wall.

5 zone lighting in this room.
1 for main ceiling lights.
1 for screen wall lights
1 for soffit lights
1 is hooked up to the outlets in the soffit for future star ceiling
1 is hooked up to out let on screen wall incase I run some light back there.

The curved soffit will have veneer stone on it as well. This soffit is to hide the tension screen housing behind it. It also hides a 2 conduit that runs to the bar TV.
I will also put base traps on this screen wall. Only about 2' wide and 6 thick, from stage floor to ceiling on each left/right side.
I have purchased 3 cases of 1 2x4' OC703 for the wall treatments for the rest of this room. The wall will be covered in GOM fabric. Purchased the 703 from a Bryan Pape of Sensible Sound Solutions, good guy, very knowledgable.

This room is wired with 12-2 inwall speaker for 8.2 setup, if there ever will be such a thing.

I also included various speaker/sub outlets in various locations just incase I want to put something somewhere or hook up future butt shakers, etc.

I would like to do star ceiling panels one day, so I wired a couple outlets in the projector housing soffit.

These are the columns, I will put stone veneer on the columns. The back ones will hide a set of Dipoles I have.

Here is a small stage. I filled with sand and put double OSB and routed the edge round.

The two closets to the left/right measure about 24 x 26. The one on left will house the AV and the right is to mirror the look. Will probably house various equipment, boxes, etc.
I plan to build stone veneer doors to complete the dungeon look in this room.
The equipment closet has a bathroom exhaust fan that will exhaust air on the side where the screen is. I bought the cheapest quiet one I could find. It will be triggered by an temp guage I bought from HD. I want to thank China Dog for posting a link to this.

No raised back seating or anything as my wife is totally against that. She wants a more versatile room, so she wins.
I may build like a mini bar that will have 3 bar stools. This will be behind the main seating and should add more seating room.

This is where I'm at for now. I am finished drywalling this room, so now I will move on to the bar / pool table area.

4 zone lighting in this room.
1 for pool table
1 for main area
1 for bar
1 for Dart board.

Here are my bar/kitchen cabs. I will be replacing the wall cabinet with glass doors

I got about 2months to be completed, so wish me luck
Old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck!
post #3 of 94 Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
quite and undertaking, gonna look very nice I bet.

Only thing I might have done a bit difference is the screen size. From the diagram, it looks like your main seating will be 13' - 14' away or so. That distance could have easily handled a 126"+ screen and you'd be able to see it better from the bar/etc.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 Old 06-23-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Thanks for the advice. Yes, we'll be sitting about 14' from screen.

I was thinking the same and was looking into electric tensioned AT screens, and they were over double the price. The problem is, my floor, center and sub will be on the front wall, and the screen will come down and I can't have the screen block them, so I had to opt for the smaller screen. One day perhaps. thanks.
post #5 of 94 Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Excellent build.

Great progress thus far...

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #6 of 94 Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Moving on, working on the bar side.
Hung the can lights in their location, extended two 6" HVAC vents, stuffed r19 in the joist, and installed the Microwave vent to exhaust to the exterior of the home.

should be able to start drywalling the ceiling soon...

Old
post #7 of 94 Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked: 5411
Great looking build. Couple of questions.

The tar-paper, Purpose?
Did you really run compressed air lines into your house? First time I've seen that.
post #8 of 94 Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Hi Big, Thanks.
Also, i want to mention that your basement theater/bar, etc, is absolutely gorgeous!! I am very impressed.

Tar paper is b/c a while back when I was researching sound proofing techniques, I read that the poormans method was to use a couple of layers of 30lb roof paper. As I mentioned, I bought a lot of materials ahead of time and that was one of them. (I had a 10% off coupon from Lowes and HD and bought most of the materials with when using it)
I figure it can't hurt. it's not too difficult to do and cheap, so I went with it.
If it provides absolutely no help, than Dammit!

Yes to the compressed air.
I have a large Ingersol Rand AC in the garage.
I have a reel in the garage, basement and also future shed/workshop area under the future deck (what I mean by that is I have the copper line extended to where the workshop will be already to go).

Basically what I is did is was made some copper tubing runs the location and and attached a shut off valve at the end (and also one in the garage).
There is a quick release coupling at the end as well.
When done, I will put one of those Oatey's Access Panel in place incase I need to get to it again.
post #9 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Old

thought I would throw an update.

since last post, I have finished the Drywall, painted, layed Tile in the bar area and back door area, setup the bar cabinets.
I had my wife, mother in law, and 3 yr old son help out with the painting, so it went quick.

here are a few pics:

here is the equipment closet vent and conduits. the big one (3") goes to the projector and the little one (2") goes to the bar TV.

Daddy's little helper

It was funny, my wife said "Smile for the camera" and he said "I can't, I'm busy painting right now"

I wish he is still enthusiatic about helping his old man when he's older and more capable

Old
post #10 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Old

here are pics of the bar area:

I just realized I have not uploaded the pics of the completed bar area with all the cabinets in place, etc. I'll have to get that in and will post later.

Tiled entrance door area:
post #11 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Old

for the GOM Fabric Frames, I have 4x8 sheets of 1/2" MDF.
Plan to cut those into 2.5" lenghts.

I plan to staple/glue two of them together and to equal 1" and wrap the GOM fabric over that.

Anyone think doing it this way is a bad idea?

here is the GOM Fabric, I bought Black and Bone color and will do the two tone in the theater room.
will use OC 703 behind it.

got the GOM from Fabricmate.
Parts of the Bone color got rubbed up with black marks on it that blead through.
Fabricmate are going to ship me 1 yard free of charge.
the 1 yard is usuable so I'm ok with that.
post #12 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Looks really good, and you have great fabrication skills. Kudos on the tile work too, it looks GREAT!

When ppl are using GG and double drywall, how do you account for the added thickness? Do you space out the outlet boxes and ceiling cans or what?

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods
Javadoc's Theater Build
post #13 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Love that cabinet color. What brand wine fridge is that?
post #14 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc View Post

Looks really good, and you have great fabrication skills. Kudos on the tile work too, it looks GREAT!

When ppl are using GG and double drywall, how do you account for the added thickness? Do you space out the outlet boxes and ceiling cans or what?

Thank you.

for the DD and GG, for the outlets, I used an adjustable one for Carlon. you can find these at HD. they're about double the cost of the regular, but makes it easier.

or you can get a regular box and pound it in an extra "x" amount you need for the added thickness.

for the cans, I did not space them out. I put them normally. The trim has springs that will adjust to the added height.

Old
post #15 of 94 Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Love that cabinet color. What brand wine fridge is that?

I think the brand is Little Chef. You can get these at HD. They are very inexpensive. If I recall, I think they went for $349 each, and I had a 10% coupon.

I haven't powered them up yet, but as long as it keeps the beers cold, I'm happy.
Old.
post #16 of 94 Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc View Post

+1!!

I didn't see this thread the first time - thanks for posting an update.
post #17 of 94 Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Old

ok, here are the up to date pics of the bar area.

I'm thinking of either doing solid granite, tile granite or combination of solid granite for the countertop part and wood for the bar counter part.

I'm getting quotes on the solid granite part, so we'll see how much more costly the solid route will be and that will be the deciding factor which way to go...
post #18 of 94 Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Taking the night off from working on the basement, so thought I update this thread. Lots happen since last time.

It was time to hang the GOM and linacoustic in the theater room. I was checking out fabric frames from fabric mate and the price for them was just way out of my range. I decided to use strips of MDF.
I had 4 - 4x8' sheets of 1/2" MDF that I bought a year ago and was going to use it for soffits and roll wood veneer, etc. I scrapped that idea many months ago. So I decided to use them to build my fabric frames. I cut them 2.75" strips by 8' long. I stacked all 4 sheets and ripped them with a circular saw at the same time. MDF cuts easy so the saw had no issues. I cut 15 strips equaling 45 total 1/2 strips.

I then glued and stapled two of them together. Since the strips were cut at the same time, they mated well.

putting them together, I used my old biscuit jointer and glued them together clamped them down overnight.

then painted them a dark color.

Painted the walls the same dark color so the frame won't bleed through.

A couple fo them would butt up togther, so I routed the edges 45degrees to give it a better look when butted up together

And wrapped them in GOM fabric. I tell yah, this GOM FR701 stuff is pretty stretchy. this part was a 2 man operation. I wanted it tight as possible, so my bro pulled as hard as he could and I stapled them down. this worked out well, ended up being super tight.

I hung the linacoustic in place. i lightly screwed them in place using drywall screws. (only 2 per sheet).

(I had to remove the top cotton batting b/c the white just blead through. I figured it served very little purpose anyway)
then placed the GOM framed over it and nailed them in place with a finish nailer.

Old
post #19 of 94 Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Now I need to get ready for the veneer stone.

I placed an order for some Eldorado Stone, about 2000 lbs worth! It should be here by this Monday.

so to prepare for it, I applied a scratch coat over the wonderboard of the fireplace, columns doors and soffit.

Now I'm ready to apply the stones. Can't wait.

oh, btw, my wife gave me the green light to build a false wall on the stage and make that a screen wall. So that way I can hide my speaker on the stage and have a 120" wife 2.37 AT screen.
I just purchased the fabric for the screen on ebay. Man, I'm so excited.
My wife is like due in 1 to 2 weeks, and I guess I kinda took advantage of her during her weakest hours. I kept "begging" her I wanted a screen wall and she just said whatever, do what you want

so my next update will probably be after we have our new one in this world. Obviously I'm not going to make the deadline, but oh well, I'm getting close to completion and that is all that matters.
Old
post #20 of 94 Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Another update.
Well, I did not meet my deadline. I'm about 1.5 to 2 months off.
My daughter was born on Oct. 5th at 4:30am. it was a quick delivery. we arrived at the hospital at 3am and out she came at 4:30am. Mom and baby are healthy and doing well.

anyhow, took a break from the basement for awhile, but thought I post some update of where I'm at.

The veneer stones arrived a few days before my daughter was born, so I started applying the stones. I went with Eldorado Stone, Country Rubble in Capri color with Earth tone accents.
I ordered about 30more sq/ft of stone b/c I decided to stone the bar area as well.
Also decided to go with solid granite countertops for the bar. You guys will be amazed at the deals you can get in today's economy. Not too much more if I did myself with granite tiles with the profiled edges.

Anyhow, here are some pics.

loaded up the stones in the garage. each box hold about 10sqft.
veneer stone weighs between 10 to 15lbs a sqft.

Fireplace:

the mantel is a solid 12" x 48" x 2" concrete with rebar, that I had to custom cut down to size to fit the opening. This thing weighed atleast 100lbs. Extremely tough to balance and cut on the wet saw.
The Heatherstone were solid 20" x 20" x 2" concrete that I cut down to size to fit the steps. Easier to cut than the Mantel, b/c of the size, but still weighs a ton.

Not completely done with the stone. still a few stones to add and also grout. Will go with an overgrout technique to give it more of the "old world" look.

Columns, doors and arch:

Still not done here either. Have a few stones to add and also grout.
The doors, when closed, looks like it's just part of the support post holding up the arch and not doors at all. These doors probably weight between 150lb to 200lb? I used 3 heavy duty hinges per door. They open and close extremely smooth.
I will build a false wall with a DIY 2.35CIH 117.5" x 50" AT screen under the arch.

The bar, ready for stone:

The haze look you see on top of the granite is from the sealer they applied. It is much shinier and darker when clean.
Old
post #21 of 94 Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Looks great!

I love the look of stone -- whether it's granite, marble, etc.

John
post #22 of 94 Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Looks great!

I love the look of stone -- whether it's granite, marble, etc.

Thank you. Although using Marble stone as a countertop is a big no-no. too pourous. that's just my opinion ofcourse.

Old.
post #23 of 94 Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 14
Very nice looking build.

What brand wine and beverage cooler are those? and where did you find that sink? I am doing my bar now and that looks to be a perfect fit.

Nate

www.NastyPerformance.com

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #24 of 94 Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty N8 View Post

Very nice looking build.

What brand wine and beverage cooler are those? and where did you find that sink? I am doing my bar now and that looks to be a perfect fit.

Nate

Thanks.

The wine/beverage coolers are Little Chef brand, which can be purchased at HomeDepot. I bought them for $349 each, with a 10% off coupon.
I have not used it yet, but as long as it keeps the beer cold, I'm good.

The bar sink is an D shape undermount stainless steel sink. It came with the granite countertop, but you can purchase them seperate virtually anywhere, like: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

Old
post #25 of 94 Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates? This looks great!
post #26 of 94 Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWolf View Post

Any updates? This looks great!

Thanks for the compliments. I am actually about 95% Done. All the stone work is completed, backsplash for the bar is completed, the false screen wall, with base traps, etc is completed, the DIY AT 2.35 screen is completed.

My projector, receiver and Pool table just got delivered the other day as well, so it's all coming together.

Carpet just went in yesterday, which was basically the last major step. I'm just so glad I don't have to deal with all that dust down there anymore.

I just have a few things left to do before I can really enjoy it.

I should be viewing my first Projector movie this Thanksgiving.

I have some pics in my camera, but have not downloaded them yet.

I should have that done by Monday and will post the follow up.

Old
post #27 of 94 Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Old

I'm not Finished, but I'm done (there is a difference )

ok, just wanted to close out this thread by posting my completed for now pics.

Just have minor finishing stuff to, that will probably never get completed since I already plugged in the projector and setup the pooltable

I put in some serious overtime into this basement the last 2 weeks to get this done by ThanksGiving.

ScreenWall: False wall frame is wrapped with black GOM FR701. The stage has 8lb padding with black carpet (that I installed myself). Screen is a DIY At 2.35, which is 125" wide (diagonal). Material is from Danzian, it's not their Celtic Cloth, and is 1.0 grain, I wrapped 3 1/4" MDF moulding with Velveteen for the borders. I view the projector in Eco Mode and it's plenty bright for me. Projector sits 15' 6" from the screen and only a about 4" from the ceiling. All ceiling is white with brighter color walls and carpet.
Bass traps on the corners using OC703 (cut in triangles, then wrapped in black GOM), and 1" linacoustic the wall and ceiling.

(very poor/dark screen shot)

Equipment Rack:I have a Buffalo IR system hooked up and have 3 receiver placements, so I can control the equipment in there without seeing it. One at the screen, one upstairs and one at the bar. my upstairs TV, Bar TV and projector is all hooked up to the equipment in there. I also have a Component Distribution Amp and Octava HDMI distribution amp (splitter) 3In, 4 out) to go out to those displays as well. So i can use the PS3 blueray down stairs and display it at the bar and upstairs tv. it works flawlessly.

the only problem I had is the HDMI cable from the AV rack to the bar tv is 75' long and it litterally takes about 10 to 20 seconds to finally display it. The component is also that long but takes no time at all to display cable from the HD cable box.
Oh, btw, the AV rack is also a DIY rack that took about 1/2hour to build. It's ugly, but it serves it's purpose, as it can roll in and out, so I can access behind it, and it's adjustable, with 8 shelves in there now, but can add up to 2 more.

as you can see all those cable bunchings towards the bottom is the access cable, which allows me to pull the av rack out far enough to get behind it without having to disconnect any cables.

Projector: Panasonic AE3000. have not tweaked it or done anything to it yet. Just played it out of the box and it's amazing!! it's my first projector ever, so take that anyhow you want to. I did change it to Eco Mode for the lamp though and it sits 15' 6" from the screen.

Fireplace: I'm from MD and we have cold winters here. I have the equivalent of R24 insulation behind the walls (R11 + R13), and some DD in some locations and it certainly keeps the basement well insulated and is usually warmer than the upstairs floor (probably b/c of the high ceilings and open foyer design, etc of the upstair floors)
But I haven't opened up any of the HVAC vents yet and it keeps a consitant temperature of 66 (with outside temps at mid 30s and 40s right now). when i turn the FP on and the blower kicks in and turn on the ceiling fan (in reverse) in Low II, it pulls enough heat out into the adjacent room to raise the room 9 degrees after 30 or min of being on. FP in a basement is totally worth it and necessary IMO ( have the thermostat in the adjacent room.)

Pool Table / Bar. My friends and I put this together in one evening and started enjoying it. it has 1" slate, which weighs about 600lbs total (just for the slate). This view is from on the theater stage.

Bar: I finally get to drink a cold one out of the fridges in the bar.
The bar has a dishwasher, stove top, microwave, 32" HD TV, and 2 beverage coolers. basically like a mini kitchen. the backsplash is slate. I still need to install the glass into the top doors. (I should've cleaned off the bar top before taking these pics, but...)

I still need to get some theater chairs (plan to get 6), shuffleboard table, bar stools (6), and a sofa or two down there. Also need to cover the surround speakers so they're not visable.

I can honestly say that my sound proofing efforts have paid off. I GG, DD the entire ceiling and GG, DD the walls in the theater room and walls bordering the bedroom and did not decouple the frame to the ceiling and have can lights everywhere, and even though the theater is an open design, you can not hear it on the bed room floors. My bedroom is directly 2 floors up above where the theater is and my wife (and 2 kids are super light sleepers), tells me she cannot hear anything and I have one serious subwoofer. Also, I have not swapped out the basement hollow door for a solid one yet either. I was afraid without the clips and the open design, my efforts would be wasted, but fear no more.

We watched Hulk the other night (latenight), which this movie is all bass, and she did not hear a thing in the bedroom. I thought she would hear something, considering I could literally feel the bass move me on some scenes.

Lastly, I want to thank all posters of this site. I learned a lot. A year ago, I had no idea about acoustical treatment,(bass traps, etc), or sound proofing, and knew very little about AV stuff, but am glad that I was able to learn everything from here. thank you again.
Old.
post #28 of 94 Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Place looks great.... Nice to see new ideas on how a screenwall can look. You have a one of a kind beautiful screen wall. Time to quit working for a while and sit back and enjoy that new projector.

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #29 of 94 Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Absolutely beautiful job. The space looks awesome!
post #30 of 94 Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I absolutely love the stone work. Looks fantastic!

I'm also lovin' the AE3000 with it's out of the box settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page