Show me your COMPLETED Theater! - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1651Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1201 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Member
 
JMEANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Noticed this pic posted top of page 40, but no reference to the builder or thread, anyone know who's it is? Would like to learn more, Thx Jim

JMEANS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1202 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sigma722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Noticed this pic posted top of page 40, but no reference to the builder or thread, anyone know who's it is? Would like to learn more, Thx Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
Thanks. The color scheme was based on the bar that I built last year, just outside the HT door...
It looks like it came from Clarence's theater to me.

Edit: here is his theater build:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...uper-bowl.html

I don't think he has a Bar build theater..
sigma722 is offline  
post #1203 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR1 View Post
This forum has provided me with a lot of information and kept me from making a lot of mistakes. Thank you guys.
Room looks great, but I am curious how the center channel sounds that high over the screen. Seems a bit high. What are your thoughts?
akoutin likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1204 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Member
 
JMEANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
It looks like it came from Clarence's theater to me.

Edit: here is his theater build:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...uper-bowl.html

I don't think he has a Bar build theater..
I did check Clarence but no bar build in his thread, interested in this bar build more so than anything, but thanks Jim

JMEANS is offline  
post #1205 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Clarence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: N. Virginia Audio: vinyl!
Posts: 14,812
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 22903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
I did check Clarence but no bar build in his thread, interested in this bar build more so than anything, but thanks Jim
I don't have a build thread on the bar, but I added some notes to the Super Bowl HT build thread in my signature so we don't clutter up this thread.
Clarence is online now  
post #1206 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,351
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
Here is my theater, pretty much finished for now -














Current equipment -




Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material – 50.2 x118 x 128.2 diagonal


Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x122 diagonal
Sim2 Lumis Host projector
Sony VW600ES projector
Denon AVR 4520ci
Emotiva XPA 200 amp – 150 watts x 2 channels
OPPO BD103 Blu Ray player
Toshiba HD A2 HD-DVD player
11.3 Speaker System - Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FXsurrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers ( 2 ) , Motion 4 height channel speakers ( 2) .
SVS 20 – 39 PCI cylindersubwoofer, SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subwoofer , SVS SB1000 subwoofer
PFP M1500 – UPS uninterruptible power supply
Seating width – 14’ ( La - Z - Boy sectional sofa ).
Theater 23’ wide x 17’ 6” ( minus 3’ 3” projector room ) x 11’ tall.
14’ lens to screen. 11’ 6” eye to screen distance.
388 square feet ( excluding projector closet ), 3547 cubic feet
And of course, all your favorite movies on Blu Ray and HD DVD ( just a few left - mostly Blu rays now ) -







JSKMDWK and khactuyen like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1207 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
LGR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Room looks great, but I am curious how the center channel sounds that high over the screen. Seems a bit high. What are your thoughts?
Hey Reefdiver! Actually it is angled down into the viewing area behind the screen. I am running a 7.1 system and it sounds incredible!. When I crank it up to thx reference levels like on "Avatar" it is a great experience. I have the Onkyo 929 and Home episode 700 series speakers/subwoofer. I need some acoustic treatments to finish the room. I am pretty happy with the results of my first theater! Went with the non glare black paint and the viewing of movies is......well incredible.
LGR1 is offline  
post #1208 of 1978 Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
IanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, SK Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just discovered this thread and have enjoyed it very much .. lots of inspiration here ... wish I'd found it before I started. I just finished mine last month after about a 7 mo build in my basement. It was a low budget DIY build and I hesitate somewhat to call it a 'home theater' since I use it more for TV/video than movies so far but it has a number of home theater elements combined with informal media rooms. It's approx 12' x 13' at one end of an approx 12' x 37' multipurpose room with approx 7.5' ceiling height and although I demo'd the existing ceiling before starting, I had to integrate the new ceiling design into the existing room. I did the whole project myself including the 105" wide screen which is MDF with the RS-MM-LL V2 custom mix. The wall panels were inspired by GPowers and are GOM wrapped OC703. Because it was an existing drywalled space, I didn't get into serious sound deadening but put in 2 layers of 3.5" Roxul into the ceiling and valences plus towers of triangular Roxul in the rears of the front speaker enclosures to act as base traps. Also filled the space under the cabinets with sand. Overall, I find the sound to be better than I was expecting for my modest speaker setup. Would like to upgrade to Atmos next year and the rears of my 7.1 setup are already in the ceiling so will probably add two ceiling fronts and run as 5.1.4. I think I'll also go back and re-do the screen to something closer to 115-20 .. I know the Sony HW40ES can handle it with a projection distance of about 160" and main seating at 120".
Other budget A/V equipment - Receiver: Yamaha - HTR6090 Speakers: Andrew Jones Pioneer LCR SP-FS52 & C22s Sides: JBL floorstanding CST55 Rears: Paradigm OM-110s ceiling Sub: single Klipsch KSW10 Sources: Motorolla 3416 PVR; LG BD550 Blu-ray; Apple TV; Popcorn Hour streaming from Seagate NAS Lighting: Insteon-controlled center LEDs and quartz valence pots; also dimmable, color selectable LED strips in valence




Sorry .. I was too busy building to take pictures or start a build thread but I did post more details here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...edia-room.html
GetGray, Djoel, 4AlexF and 3 others like this.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
IanR is offline  
post #1209 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
absoultly gorgeous!!
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #1210 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sacramento Delta
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Pretty cool it's multi functional. Nice job.
Doradoguy is offline  
post #1211 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,062
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Ian: That's an AWESOME room. Exactly what I'll be going for down the road. You should be very proud of that room (well done)

Ron
rboster is offline  
post #1212 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
IanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, SK Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Tks very much guys for the kind comments. It's comfortable but certainly not in the same league as some of the ones in this thread .. but from experience, it can sometimes be tough to find examples of low budget ones which is partly why I posted.

From a size and style perspective, I think my space is more like snowkarver or fresman .. not the traditional HT style with a stage; curtains; fancy chairs; a riser; a star ceiling; etc. Not saying that there's anything wrong with those features .. just that I couldn't get it past the WAF. The love seat on the left is left over from the previous setup which was diagonal across the room. I'm thinking that it the room gets enough use, I might move it behind the other one and build a platform.

Speaking of ceiling, I had to match ceiling tiles and height with the rest of the room but I didn't have enough and they're no longer sold so I created the funny 'floating piece' in the center where I put some add'l downlights .. just in case someone wonders what the heck that thing is.

...Ian

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
IanR is offline  
post #1213 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Romans828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naboo
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
I just discovered this thread and have enjoyed it very much .. lots of inspiration here ... wish I'd found it before I started. I just finished mine last month after about a 7 mo build in my basement. It was a low budget DIY build and I hesitate somewhat to call it a 'home theater' since I use it more for TV/video than movies so far but it has a number of home theater elements combined with informal media rooms. It's approx 12' x 13' at one end of an approx 12' x 37' multipurpose room with approx 7.5' ceiling height and although I demo'd the existing ceiling before starting, I had to integrate the new ceiling design into the existing room. I did the whole project myself including the 105" wide screen which is MDF with the RS-MM-LL V2 custom mix. The wall panels were inspired by GPowers and are GOM wrapped OC703. Because it was an existing drywalled space, I didn't get into serious sound deadening but put in 2 layers of 3.5" Roxul into the ceiling and valences plus towers of triangular Roxul in the rears of the front speaker enclosures to act as base traps. Also filled the space under the cabinets with sand. Overall, I find the sound to be better than I was expecting for my modest speaker setup. Would like to upgrade to Atmos next year and the rears of my 7.1 setup are already in the ceiling so will probably add two ceiling fronts and run as 5.1.4. I think I'll also go back and re-do the screen to something closer to 115-20 .. I know the Sony HW40ES can handle it with a projection distance of about 160" and main seating at 120".
Other budget A/V equipment - Receiver: Yamaha - HTR6090 Speakers: Andrew Jones Pioneer LCR SP-FS52 & C22s Sides: JBL floorstanding CST55 Rears: Paradigm OM-110s ceiling Sub: single Klipsch KSW10 Sources: Motorolla 3416 PVR; LG BD550 Blu-ray; Apple TV; Popcorn Hour streaming from Seagate NAS Lighting: Insteon-controlled center LEDs and quartz valence pots; also dimmable, color selectable LED strips in valence




Sorry .. I was too busy building to take pictures or start a build thread but I did post more details here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...edia-room.html
Looks great!
Romans828 is offline  
post #1214 of 1978 Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,351
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
Tks very much guys for the kind comments. It's comfortable but certainly not in the same league as some of the ones in this thread .. but from experience, it can sometimes be tough to find examples of low budget ones which is partly why I posted.

From a size and style perspective, I think my space is more like snowkarver or fresman .. not the traditional HT style with a stage; curtains; fancy chairs; a riser; a star ceiling; etc. Not saying that there's anything wrong with those features .. just that I couldn't get it past the WAF. The love seat on the left is left over from the previous setup which was diagonal across the room. I'm thinking that it the room gets enough use, I might move it behind the other one and build a platform.

Speaking of ceiling, I had to match ceiling tiles and height with the rest of the room but I didn't have enough and they're no longer sold so I created the funny 'floating piece' in the center where I put some add'l downlights .. just in case someone wonders what the heck that thing is.

...Ian

My theater doesn't have those either, but frankly I was more interested in putting the money those would have cost into a better projector.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1215 of 1978 Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
...not the traditional HT style with a stage; curtains; fancy chairs; a riser; a star ceiling; etc. Not saying that there's anything wrong with those features...

Same here.

The whole stage thing just doesn't work with how our family uses the room.

Your room looks absolutely stunning. Very tranquil. The decorations all give a harmonious vibe. Great work!!
rms8 is offline  
post #1216 of 1978 Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Member
 
sinisanav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Tale of two theaters

Hello to all HT afficionados,this place helped me a lot years ago when I started the quest for building a home theater, so finally, after 7 years of laziness I finally got to organize some pictures of our first attempt at a home theater. HT was focal point of the big basement space that was about 25ft wide and from 27-32 ft deep, but uneven dimensions including the "play area" for kids. You will see that surround speakers were far from ideal position, given constraints of the space and Auddysey did the best it could. This HT was of the "unfinished" as I never got to purchasing and setting up any kind of acoustical treatments. The ceiling was heavily soundproofed with double helping of Roxul and 5/8 drywall, doing really good job of insulation. All of the equipment was in the space understairs and controlled by Harmony One. Lighting was done with Lutron Radio Ra, 4 different scenes. Screen was Carada 120 inch 2.35:1 Classic Cinema White. Projector was Panasonic PT-2000AE ( which succumbed to surge spike 8 months ago...), with Panamorph wide lens on a track. Speakers Def Tech BP7001 SC towers with built in 1500W subs ( decided to go without the separate sub, initially was thinking of Trinity or SVS), CLR 3000 Def Tech center and 4 BPVX/P surrounds ( all with built in powered subs), so full range all around. That was powered with Sunfire Grand Cinema 5.1 amplifier and two Outlaws fr back surrounds, going through Onkyo PR-SC885 preamp. At that time had Oppo BD-95 DVD player and used good old PS3 for Blu-ray. Escient Fireball MX-100 with Sony 400 DVD/SACD changer associated with it for my DVD and SACD collection. Xbox 360 and Wii for playtime. All that connected to Panamax MX-400 power conditioner.
Now, all that was enjoyed for 7 years until we moved 8 months ago. So, that is why this is tale of TWO theaters.Luckily the new house had an unfinished 14x16 ft room in basement that was waiting to be made into our second HT . I am at the finishing phases of setting it up and will have GIK acoustical panels placed within next 2 weeks and then I will post pics of the new space, with list of the few updates as far as components go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lampa 001.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	588618   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 003.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	588634   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 002.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	588642   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 005.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	588690   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 006.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	588698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 007.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	588706   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 008.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	588714   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 004.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	588762  

Change is the only constant.

My HT: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
sinisanav is offline  
post #1217 of 1978 Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
JSKMDWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
Hello to all HT afficionados,this place helped me a lot years ago when I started the quest for building a home theater, so finally, after 7 years of laziness I finally got to organize some pictures of our first attempt at a home theater. HT was focal point of the big basement space that was about 25ft wide and from 27-32 ft deep, but uneven dimensions including the "play area" for kids. You will see that surround speakers were far from ideal position, given constraints of the space and Auddysey did the best it could. This HT was of the "unfinished" as I never got to purchasing and setting up any kind of acoustical treatments. The ceiling was heavily soundproofed with double helping of Roxul and 5/8 drywall, doing really good job of insulation. All of the equipment was in the space understairs and controlled by Harmony One. Lighting was done with Lutron Radio Ra, 4 different scenes. Screen was Carada 120 inch 2.35:1 Classic Cinema White. Projector was Panasonic PT-2000AE ( which succumbed to surge spike 8 months ago...), with Panamorph wide lens on a track. Speakers Def Tech BP7001 SC towers with built in 1500W subs ( decided to go without the separate sub, initially was thinking of Trinity or SVS), CLR 3000 Def Tech center and 4 BPVX/P surrounds ( all with built in powered subs), so full range all around. That was powered with Sunfire Grand Cinema 5.1 amplifier and two Outlaws fr back surrounds, going through Onkyo PR-SC885 preamp. At that time had Oppo BD-95 DVD player and used good old PS3 for Blu-ray. Escient Fireball MX-100 with Sony 400 DVD/SACD changer associated with it for my DVD and SACD collection. Xbox 360 and Wii for playtime. All that connected to Panamax MX-400 power conditioner.
Now, all that was enjoyed for 7 years until we moved 8 months ago. So, that is why this is tale of TWO theaters.Luckily the new house had an unfinished 14x16 ft room in basement that was waiting to be made into our second HT . I am at the finishing phases of setting it up and will have GIK acoustical panels placed within next 2 weeks and then I will post pics of the new space, with list of the few updates as far as components go.
Nice first space. I will be going through the same thing myself soon hopefully. In the process of selling current home (the theater helped with that significantly) and looking for our next home theater/house.

New theater build thread

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? -- My first theater in print -- My first build- Mocha Theater Construction
JSKMDWK is offline  
post #1218 of 1978 Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Member
 
sinisanav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKMDWK View Post
Nice first space. I will be going through the same thing myself soon hopefully. In the process of selling current home (the theater helped with that significantly) and looking for our next home theater/house.
One thing I can tell you is to look for houses with an unfinished room of reasonable size

Change is the only constant.

My HT: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
sinisanav is offline  
post #1219 of 1978 Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker Build Finished

Here are a few pics of my completed build. You can see a ton more in my build thread (link in sig below).




arttu, JSKMDWK, sinisanav and 10 others like this.
rms8 is offline  
post #1220 of 1978 Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Cool pics!! That stoned entry way are the steps heading into the theater? Can't really tell. Looks great!!
dlbeck is offline  
post #1221 of 1978 Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Cool pics!! That stoned entry way are the steps heading into the theater? Can't really tell. Looks great!!

THANKS!

There are two steps which lead into a foyer type area which is where the door to the HT is. There are more pics in the build thread which would probably give a better idea of what it looks like.
The HT is 2 feet deeper than the rest of the basement since it is under a garage.
rms8 is offline  
post #1222 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 01:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It feels awesome to see some of the HT builds here. Even if people like me can't afford to have such design, nevertheless it's still feels so great to see them... keep them coming ...
ellisr63 likes this.
murlidher is offline  
post #1223 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,470
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidher View Post
It feels awesome to see some of the HT builds here. Even if people like me can't afford to have such design, nevertheless it's still feels so great to see them... keep them coming ...
It is not as expensive as you may think... Depending on how handy you are and to what level of a HT you want. Buying used equipment, and doing most of the work yourself can allow you to build a dream setup without breaking the bank.
rms8 and murlidher like this.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #1224 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
It is not as expensive as you may think... Depending on how handy you are and to what level of a HT you want. Buying used equipment, and doing most of the work yourself can allow you to build a dream setup without breaking the bank.
If I told a contractor what I had in mind for my home theater and let them do it all, I can honestly say my room would have easily cost 6 figures. Doing it myself the room ended up a fraction of that. Plus, when doing it yourself, if there are any "shortcuts" made, YOU know where/what they are. If a contractor makes them, you'll have no idea.....but still get stuck with the bill as if they hadn't.
ellisr63 and murlidher like this.
rms8 is offline  
post #1225 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Here are a few pics of my completed build. You can see a ton more in my build thread (link in sig below).
Great job! A very unique and classy style.
rms8 likes this.
jjcook is online now  
post #1226 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
rms8 is offline  
post #1227 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
ChadA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Below are pics of the theater in our old house. We completed it in 2007 and moved a few months ago. Other than hanging the drywall and laying the carpet, it was completely DIY. We left all of the equipment in place so that we could start with a blank slate at the new house.

The screen is a Severtson 119" 16:9 screen paired with a Sony VW-Pro1 projector.


The seats are all reclining pieces from Lazyboy. "Back in the day," there weren't a lot of affordable theater seating options. :-)
rms8, ellisr63, GetGray and 5 others like this.
ChadA is offline  
post #1228 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
IanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, SK Canada
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
^^ Chad .. very nice! What kind of ceiling is that? It doesn't look like the usual 'star-y' scenes.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
IanR is offline  
post #1229 of 1978 Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ChadA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
^^ Chad .. very nice! What kind of ceiling is that? It doesn't look like the usual 'star-y' scenes.
Thanks! The ceiling was just" a mural painted by a very talented muralist. She didn't use any luminescent paint, but the ceiling looked really great in the dark with the rope lighting on.
ChadA is offline  
post #1230 of 1978 Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,062
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadA View Post
Below are pics of the theater in our old house. We completed it in 2007 and moved a few months ago. Other than hanging the drywall and laying the carpet, it was completely DIY. We left all of the equipment in place so that we could start with a blank slate at the new house.
Spoiler!
WOW-that is pretty impressive. May I ask about your film reel tables...if you made them, what stand/base did you use below the reel? I am looking to update mine and which from the floor lamp I re-purposed for the base.

Last edited by rboster; 03-12-2015 at 08:51 AM.
rboster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off