The Spring Ridge Cinema Build Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 161 Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Updated 6/21/10

EQUIPMENT LIST

Front Projection:
  • Projector: Sim2 HT300E DLP (720P)
  • Video Processor: DVDO iScan Duo
  • Screen: 2.35:1 Dragonfly High Contrast 125" (diagonal)
  • Anamorphic Lens: Panamorph UH380 with MTH1 Manual Transport and AK6 Attachment Plate
  • Ceiling Mount: Chief RPA Mount with 12" CMS Extension Column and CMS115 Ceiling Plate
Audio:
  • Pre Pro: Lexicon RV-5 Receiver
  • Power Amplifier: Lexicon ZX-7 (300W/Channel @ 8 ohms) for Left, Right, Center, Surrounds and Rears
  • Main Speakers: Legacy Audio Focus 20/20
  • Center Speaker: Legacy Audio Silverscreen II
  • Surround Speakers: Triad InWall Silver/4 Surround
  • Rear Speakers: Triad InWall Gold/4 Omni SE
  • Subwoofer: Legacy Audio LFExtreme
Sources:
  • CD/DVD/DVD-A: Rotel RDV-1092
  • HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2
  • Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD80
  • Cable: Motorola DCT-6200 HDTV CATV (Service Electric)
Power Management:
  • Electronics Power Conditioning: Panamax M5400-PM & Panamax M5300-PM
  • Projector Battery Backup: Panamax M1500-UPS-PFP
  • Power Distribution: Panamax InWall MIW-PowerKit-Pro
Equipment Rack:
  • Middle Atlantic 43-Space AX-S In-Wall Equipment Rack
  • Middle Atlantic RSH Custom Rack Shelves
Remote Control/Automation
  • RTI XP-8 Central Control Processor
  • RTI T3-V Remote Control (zigbee)
  • RTI RK3-V InWall Touch Panel
  • RTI CB-8 Connecting Block
  • RTI ZM-24 Zigbee Transmitter/Receiver
  • Leviton Vizia RF+ 1000W Dimmers/Switches (z-wave)

ROOM

Dedicated Home Theater Room:
  • Room Dimensions: 21' deep; 15' wide (screen wall), 17.5' wide (rear wall)
  • Ceiling Height: 7' 6" maximum; 6'0" minimum (standing on riser below soffit)
  • Screen Height: 52" from floor to middle of screen
  • Seating for 6 = 3 in front row, 3 in rear on a 12.5" riser
Approximate screen-to-seat distances:
  • Front row: 11'
  • Back row: 17' 6"
Room color scheme:
  • Lower Walls: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel - Cayman Bay (UL230-19)
  • Upper Walls: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel - Mesa Taupe (UL130-16)
  • Ceiling: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Matte - Delicate Lace (UL130-12)
  • Screen Wall: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Matte - Black Black
  • Floor: Behr Premium Plus Porch & Floor Low Lustre - Rich Brown (PPF-52)

A little background is in order. This will be my second major home theater build. The first was a dedicated room in our Palm Springs, CA home. The outcome was fairly successful for our purposes. I have included a link to my website that has pictures of the construction process here. My second home theater was the conversion of the 2nd bedroom in our apartment. Being an apartment, nothing permanent could be done, and this room was also used for other purposes. The only construction was for the purpose of mounting of small, motorized 84" diagonal 16:9 projection screen. Although we enjoyed the small bedroom theater immensely, it doesn’t really qualify as a home theater “build.” This brings us up to present day.

My wife and I just purchased a new townhome with a full, unfinished basement, pictured here.

As you can see, the basement has its challenges with the location of the HVAC, plumbing and support beam. However, thanks to many of the wonderful suggestions of fellow AVSers, I have settled in on a design for the new theater. In designing the theater area, it was important that the basement maintain an “open” feel to it for entertaining. One of the challenges that I still face are the water lines running everywhere. It is important that the equipment rack and projector not be located right below water/sewer lines that may start to leak some day. I have not yet determined where the equipment room will be located. We also would like to add a bar somewhere into the mix. Here is the initial design that I have come up with:

I currently already have much of the a/v equipment for the theater. I may do some swapping out of individual components, but for the most part the equipment listed above is what I will be using.

The following issues are still to be determined and any input is greatly appreciated:
  1. Where to put the equipment room – I would ultimately like to have enough room for two racks, in the event that I do a distributed audio/video system throughout the entire home.
  2. Storage location for DVDs and CDs – One thought was to locate all the software in the equipment room.
  3. Bar location

The time frame for this project completion no later than December 2009.

AramB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

On the top left side of the picture below, you will note there are three large PVC pipes right where I would like to locate the top plate for framing the wall on this side of the basement. Can anyone provide some suggestions as to how to frame the wall on the this side without having to (a) move the pipes, or (b) placing the wall in front of the pipes (which would substantially reduce the square footage of the room.

post #3 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
PVC pipes would be very easy to shift over. You just have to cut and extend then at each end and then just remount the run closer to the concrete wall. Hardly any work at all. It looks like the other pipes are HVAC/gas related. Those would be a bit more difficult to move. Otherwise, stuff them all into a soffet and call it a day. Personally it looks like the HVAC trunk metal support beam will be the hard part to deal with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
The copper and black pipe (gas) is movable as well, but you'll have to pay a plumber. If you were to move them over next to the white PVC, you could possibly make soffits on either side of the room, and dress them like accents in the room.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods
Javadoc's Theater Build
post #5 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
PVC, AC and it looks like a gas line, move them all over to the far wall on the left. And that HVAC trunk line along with your main support beam?

Maybe not move the HVAC, gas and sewer lines...

What do you plan to use on the ceiling? Drywall or a drop?

Mike
post #6 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I figured, I would probably end up having to move that large sewage line, but was hoping there would be a way to avoid such a "messy" job.

My plan is to drywall the ceiling and put a soffit on either side, somewhat symmetrically, similar to what Brian did here:

post #7 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sewer lines don't look like they are in the way. It's almost right next to the wall.

post #8 of 161 Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sewer lines don't look like they are in the way. It's almost right next to the wall.

The sewer line is right against the wall along with the exhaust lines for the furnace and water heater with no room to mount a top plate against the floor joists to attach the studs for the wall on that side of the room.
post #9 of 161 Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I started the process of analyzing the optimum throw distance for my projector (approx 16') for an image 45" high (92" screen for 16:9 or 106" screen for 2.35:1). I have decided that if at all possible, I would like to go with a 2.35:1 screen. However, based on my current design layout, that is virtually impossible to accomplish because the HVAC trunk running the length of the basement prevents me from putting the projector where it needs to go without lowering it below the HVAC trunk. So I am now considering re-orienting the theater.

I am looking to fellow AVSers for some alternative solutions or designs. Here is the current layout of the basement:

The clearance from the floor to the bottom of the ceiling joists is 93". However, the clearance from the floor to the bottom of the HVAC trunk is 84" and the clearance from the floor to the bottom of the support beam is only 81". So, as you can see I am "height challenged" as well.

Here are some photos:

I am standing at the location of the furnace and water heater.

Here I am standing in the same spot, but looking slightly to the left.

Now I am at the opposite side of the basement looking back at the furnace, water heater and stairs.

Same spot, but looking slightly to the right.

Standing over by the sump pump.

Standing by the stairs.

All suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!
post #10 of 161 Old 02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6021 Post(s)
Liked: 5601
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb View Post

Can anyone provide some suggestions as to how to frame the wall on the this side without having to (a) move the pipes, or (b) placing the wall in front of the pipes (which would substantially reduce the square footage of the room.

Piece of cake. You build the wall just short of the pipes and anchor the top plate to the concrete wall with some stand offs.

When you build the soffit around the pipes it will join up with the abbreviated wall and you will be the only one who knows.
post #11 of 161 Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, BIGmouthinDC. That is a great idea! Should I just use masonry nails to attach the standoffs to the concrete wall?

AramB
post #12 of 161 Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an alternate plan that I worked on today. It requires covering up the window on the wall where the screen is located. I will have to build a removable stage that will cover up the sump pump. I also have to determine a location for the equipment racks.

Thoughts anyone?

post #13 of 161 Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6021 Post(s)
Liked: 5601
Quote:

Should I just use masonry nails to attach the standoffs to the concrete wall?

I would use either the power drivers or the concrete anchors that you drill a hole than insert a sleeve that expands when you tighten the bolt.

IMO a hammer driven masonry nail doesn't have the pull out resistance that you need.
post #14 of 161 Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Today has been a productive day. This morning the HVAC guys came and re-routed some of the ductwork that was problematic. However, moving the entire HVAC trunk was simply not a possibility. They also added some vents in the basement so now there is heat down there!

This evening I took the projector and my HD-DVD player down to the basement and decided to see how things would look with the various setups that I have envisioned - mostly to see if poles, beams and other obstructions would be an issue. After not getting satisfactory results with the original two designs that I sketched above, I decided to project an image perpendicular to the support beam and HVAC trunk. Originally, I completely discarded this idea as I thought these would be obstructions that would not permit the projector to be mounted high enough. Well, I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. No obstructions, and much more width is available (so speakers don't have to be crunched into corners) AND, I actually gain more DEPTH for seating (up to 24' if I want it). I was so pleased with the results, that I decided to take some pictures to post below.

Lights off... 2.35:1 aspect ratio with 106" wide image:

Here the lights are on and as you can see the HVAC is really not an issue:

The markings on the wall are for 106" wide 2.35:1 screen and 16:9 screen:
post #15 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

This weekend I put some blackout curtains in the basement. I realize it is a little premature to be hanging drapes before the construction is complete, but I wanted a little privacy from "nosey" neighbors! It also helps keep the basement a bit warmer.

I am still not 100% convinced that I have come up with the best arrangement/use of the space. I am toying with the idea of having a contest and offering $100 to the best design from a fellow AVSer. Do you think there would be any interest in something like that?

post #16 of 161 Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my latest layout design for the home theater. Suggestions anyone?

post #17 of 161 Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

post #18 of 161 Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How many rows of seating? Are you doing risers?

-----------------
A/B Pre-Build Thread
post #19 of 161 Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am doing two rows of seating... one in front of the platform shown on the SketchUp drawing above and another row on the platform itself. I have not decided what type of seating I will get... probably three Berkline theater seats in each row.

Aram
post #20 of 161 Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I did a Sketchup rendering as well...

Aram,
I have a very similar layout to yours with a lovely beam and pole that cannot be outside of room. Think I have finally decided to shoot pic parallel to beam in my case as give me 24' depth and can mount projector to shoot under beam (same height exactly as you for joists/beam etc) to allow max room width. I like the final layout you show here as makes best use of space for seating and biggest screen to view.
Good luck,
Greg
p.s. I always like using Transformers HD-DVD to 'test' out options too
post #21 of 161 Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

I originally wanted to shoot the projector parallel to the steel I-beam and HVAC trunk as well. However, due to the size of screen that I decided on, it just wouldn't give me the depth of seating that I needed. Although not perfectly ideal, I think this solution is the best compromise. I may make some minor modifications (if I can figure out how to engineer it), such as moving the wall that is perpendicular to the left side of the screen farther to the left.

Of course, I have not yet started cutting wood, so... I am still open to suggestions!!!
post #22 of 161 Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I also like your latest design best aramb,

Like you said above if you could move the wall a little further left that would be good. But also moving the door or entryway a little further left on that wall so it basically lines up with the opening on the other side of the room, it would make the room look more symmetrical. Not sure if the ductwork is an obstruction though.
post #23 of 161 Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Could you possibly move the support pole closest to the riser in your latest pic? Maybe move the pole to the left corner of the riser, then shift your HT to the right by removing the equipment room walls to the right of the riser and rightside of the screen wall. Then, you could hide the new support pole location inside of a new equipment room location. Or, if you really like the window there, you could hide the new pole location in a new bar that would have line of sight to the screen. If you put the bar there, maybe you could use a small portion of the room on the left of your latest drawing to build a closet to access an in wall eq rack that faces the HT on the left wall? That is, if you can move the support pole. I'm pretty sure Gonzo moved the same type of pole in his build so it can be done. Here's a link to his thread if you're interested: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719146

Good luck.

Audio: Marantz AV7702mkII / Marantz MM8077 / Emotiva UPA-7 for 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
Video: Sony VPL-VW600ES & SI Black Diamond 133" 2.35:1 CIH for 4K UHD
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Mede8er 600d with Synology ds716 NAS (28tb), PS4, DirecTV
7. Paradigm Studio 20 v5 (L, R, FW), CC-590 v5 (C), Sonance VP63 (SS); 2. DIYSG DA HO 18" (4); PSA S3000i (3); 4! Infinity Entra One (FH), Sonance VP65R (TR)
Lewis Family Cinema 2.0, Lewis Family Cinema 1.0
post #24 of 161 Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here are two alternate layouts for the room... the difference being with seating. One option is two rows of theater seating with the back row on a riser. The other option is to build a bar behind the first row and put bar stools for the back row. I also have not yet determined what to do with the space to the right of the riser/bar. This is where my equipment racks will be located. I am currently considering two options here as well. The first option is to build out an area that is just large enough to house the equipment racks and use Middle Atlantic In-Wall AX-S racks that can slide out on tracks for working on the rack and adding equipment, wiring, etc. The other option would be to build a larger area or room that the racks could be house in. This would allow the use of cheaper Middle Atlantic Slim5 equipment racks, but will require the space be carefully configured. All of the walls, windows, and doorways on these two drawings are pretty much what I have determined will work for my space.

Sorry about not posting the pictures directly, but they are in PDF and when I convert to jpeg, they are unreadable.

Option A

Option B
post #25 of 161 Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, as of yesterday, I have finally started to build the new home theater. The first order of business was to move the freon lines that go from the air conditioning unit outside to the inside unit. I temporarily mounted a top plate where my screen wall will go so that I knew how far where I would need to move this line. As luck would have it, the air conditioning line fit perfectly above the existing white PVC pipes.

Today I worked for about 4 hours and framed out the front wall of the theater upon which a 115" wide 2.35:1 screen will be mounted. This wall is 15 feet wide. Ignore the screen outline in blue tape on the concrete behind the wall. It is not in the correct location (or aspect ratio).

I got to try out my new pneumatic framing nailer today, which really made the work go fast. However, I got off to a slow start initially because the compressor that I purchased had 1/4" NPT connections and I discovered that the nailer had a 3/8" connection. It took some time to locate an adapter, but I finally got something that worked at a plumbing supply house.

Here are a couple of other angles. As you can see, the cat is inspecting my work.

post #26 of 161 Old 03-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I did a Sketchup rendering as well...

Man, that's a tough one Aramb. Have you figured out the dimensions of your platform yet? Once I know your thoughts on that in terms of width, depth, and distance from screen, I might be able to offer some ideas.

Tom

Video: JVC RS540 w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One X
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 EX (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X Theater Pics / Desktop
post #27 of 161 Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

The platform will be 10' wide, 5'6" deep and 7-1/2" high (for now). The platform is 13'6" away from the screen. The support pole will be at the right corner of the platform. I have decided to build a smaller equipment closet (only 30" deep) and use a Middle Atlantic AX-S-43 space slide-out equipment rack (20" deep). This should provide a larger walkway between the equipment rack closet and the platform and pole. And, as luck would have it, positioning the platform this way centers it perfectly with the center of the screen! Sometimes I get lucky.

Now, I just have to figure out how to conceal the sump pump in the lower left hand corner behind the platform.
post #28 of 161 Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
FYI if you are going with HT recliners you probably want your riser to be at least 6' deep. You may need a little more depending on the seats that you actually end up with, unless you plan the front row to be at least a foot away from the riser.
post #29 of 161 Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Oman. That is good to know. I have not yet decided whether I will go with a couch on the riser or Berklines. I have almost three more feet behind the riser, so it should not be a big deal to enlarge it. In fact, it probably makes more sense to run the riser all the way to the back wall. I don't plan to build the riser until near the end of the project so that I know exactly how much room I have available. I do plan to keep the front part of the riser in line with the pole, just for aesthetic reasons.
post #30 of 161 Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hello Aramb,

Nice design of your HT.
I didnt notice any mention of sound control, so i dont know if it is a concern of yours. some thing you may want to consider before framing additional walls is using the Risc-DC04 Clips to attach your walls to your floor joists.
I think this is one of your "Biggest Bangs" for the buck items when it comes to sound isolation.

as a side note.. i wish i had done this.. i framed my walls before i found this forum.. now Im kicking myself and trying to decide if i want "deconstruct" what i already constructed.

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page