Well, what a marathon that was... but finally the ceiling is operational. I put in a 11h day today to get the thing wired up, trimmed and to shoot some pics.
The main job was to fit every individual fiber (about 1000 of them) into the illuminator box. The unconnected bundle in this picture is my second comet position above the bar in case the original position becomes too obnoxious. I used almost all of the 3 miles of fiber! The shooting stars and comet were especially time consuming due to deciphering my markings to get the order correct.
And the carnage:
Then the final step was to trim all the fibers in the ceiling. Fosi recommends using a hot wire so the ends of the fiber mushroom and have a wider angle of light output. I really didn't want to risk burning my fabric panels (hot wire cuts GOM FR701 very well indeed
) so I made another ghetto tool to keep the snip length constant and eliminate the chance of burning the panels.
Then spent another hour on the ladder carefully trimming. My 8yo daughter took this shot so I promised to show it.
The result is that all the fibers end up looking like this which are invisible in even a slightly darkened room:
Then the moment of truth and the results of the past two weeks of labor (I also discovered just how hard it is to photograph with a little snappy camera!)
Here's a couple more.
The second one is of my 8 yo. She thought the ceiling looked so real she disappeared for a few minutes, then came back with blanket, drinks, snacks and a orange glow stick (for a fire).We both sat under the stars and had a picnic! Totally cool!!
I'm going to bed with a big smile on my face tonight.