3FB's "Foreclosure" Home Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 107 Old 05-19-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Definately brings you back to that 70's paneling look you would find in everyones basement. You'll be happier with it black. If you can get some fidelio velvet it and apply that with spray adhesive, I think that will nicely darken your screenwall.

Just one thing on the Seymour screen, the screen material is next generation so weave seems to be better than the samples you are showing above. Also the price for your size is well under what you indicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Definately brings you back to that 70's paneling look you would find in everyones basement. You'll be happier with it black. If you can get some fidelio velvet it and apply that with spray adhesive, I think that will nicely darken your screenwall.

Just one thing on the Seymour screen, the screen material is next generation so weave seems to be better than the samples you are showing above. Also the price for your size is well under what you indicated.

Good idea with the velvet, thanks!
post #63 of 107 Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post

I will be making custom speaker grilles to cover my speakers in the columns. The grilles will be a rectangular frame of trim wood, with speaker cloth behind it. I need these grilles to be removable. I also need them to float just a bit (1/4"-1/3") to give the speaker some room to move without hitting the cloth. Finally, the bracket will need to be sturdy to withstand vibration from the speakers and even the subwoofers.

Does anyone have a suggestion for brackets, catches or some type of mounting mechanism that could hold these speaker grilles in place?

If you haven't found anything already something like these might be something to consider:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=329-045

or these:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=48957860

I have the magnetic grill guides and they are very strong. Pulling two of the magnets apart before mounting them is a task. The only issue would be whether these would provide that "float" that you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 107 Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks XB1032 for the suggestions! This should solve my problem. I could probably go with the magnets and just surface mount one or both rather than drilling a hole for each and flush mounting them. This should give me the clearance I need to avoid contact with the speaker grill cloth and the speaker.

post #65 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

This week, almost all of the finish carpentry was completed in the HT. The only thing left are the custom made speaker grills, framed in the alder trim to match the rest of the HT.

You can see in these pics a few changes in the trimwork that we made, thicker chair rail trim and a little different base on the columns are on the edge of the stage.

Also installed were the base support forms for the acoustic panels. These will be framed in matching alder trim as well.

Got the speakers in too, I got to order a receiver so I can get these fired up! The problem is the whole house is being painted now and won't be done for a month!

post #66 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Very, Very nice 3FB..

I see you came up with a plan for the Curved top panels.. did you end up deciding to use flex trim or are you taking a different route?

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #67 of 107 Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Very, Very nice 3FB..

I see you came up with a plan for the Curved top panels.. did you end up deciding to use flex trim or are you taking a different route?

Brad

What you see up on the wall for the acoustic panels is simply an inch of MDF that will be the base of support for the alder trim, and also a base to staple the fabric to. Next step is to put a coat of primer on the drywall, install a square of mdf as the base for the wall sconce, put up the linacoustic on the wall, stretch and staple the fabric in place, nail the flex trim in place, and regular pre-stained alder trim on the sides.

The only alternative to flex trim would be to order some custom bent wood, which would have been expensive, take forever, and difficult to communicate exactly what we wanted.

My painter is painting the flex trim, its not easy getting that to look good. He told me its no problem painting the flex trim with the fabric in place. Hopefully it all turns out!
post #68 of 107 Old 06-14-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Looking really good! I want to do the same with the led puck lights in the soffit but, want to use only one between my columns. What spacing do you have between your columns? Is the transformer in a location you can get to and is there any noise? it doesn't look like you are doing complete fabric walls why not paint before the trim and columns are up and then just touch up here and there after? Your theater is very similiar to what I want mine to look like, even the small soffit size.
post #69 of 107 Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Looking really good! I want to do the same with the led puck lights in the soffit but, want to use only one between my columns. What spacing do you have between your columns? Is the transformer in a location you can get to and is there any noise?

I have about 5 feet 11 inches in between the columns, but only about 5 feet near the top because the crown sticks out on the sides of the columns. The transformers are accessible, they are inside one of the columns as you can see in this pic below. A wood panel door will cover this whole, but could be opened. The light switches are also inside this column, and a main control light switch is by the door (using control4 home automation light control system). These transformers don't make any noise whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

it doesn't look like you are doing complete fabric walls why not paint before the trim and columns are up and then just touch up here and there after? Your theater is very similiar to what I want mine to look like, even the small soffit size.

There was a bunch of carpentry being done elsewhere in the house, and it all needed to be done, and sawdust cleaned up, before the painters came in, so that's why its getting painted now, after the columns are in. The walls have a coat of primer on them, next the actual color goes up. I'm going eggshell on the walls, and matte on the ceiling.

Thanks for the encouragement!

post #70 of 107 Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

The theater has been painted and I'm pleased. I went with a grey on the walls and a darker grey for the ceiling.

I put linacoustic in the wood frames and the fabric has been stapled on. After that the wood trim and flex trim was nailed in place. Now the flex trim just needs to be stained and the acoustic panels will be done.

sorry for the bad pics, when its all done I'll do it better justice:

post #71 of 107 Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 5404
post #72 of 107 Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big. It is really the exciting part to see the paint and everything come together. Next week the carpet goes in.

I found a whole roll of my fabric at a remnant store for $175, I think that was a pretty good deal considering it appears to be high quality fancy stuff.

My Panny 4000 and Denon AVR-3311CI reciever is waiting for me when I get home from work, can this day go any slower?
post #73 of 107 Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room is looking great!! The wood and fabric you've chosen go together perfectly. I trust that your panny and denon arrived ok?
post #74 of 107 Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

^ Thanks. The PJ and receiver arrived safe and sound, I'm still waiting for my screen to arrive and then its party time.
post #75 of 107 Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great job, looking really good. The fabric looks really classy and I want something similiar in pattern. Does the fabric have enough transparentcy? I can't wait to see what the puck lights look like. I want to use them in between my columns & highlight the acoustic panels. The only thing different I will be doing is putting my sconces on the columns.
post #76 of 107 Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

^

The fabric is not specialty acoustic fabric, I originally thought that it had to be acoustically transparent, but some folks on the forum said that fabric was only necessary for placement in front of speakers. I suppose the idea is that its okay that the fabric absorbs sound, that is the goal right? I guess you just don't want fabric that would be reflective and not let the duct liner underneath do its job. Puck lights should be in this week.
post #77 of 107 Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

The screen wall is done, I think. I treated the area behind the screen with a 1" generic brand duct liner. The cavities for the speakers were also treated, and I wedged the mdf speaker boxes inside tight with high density foam. The idea was to have the speakers "float" in the absorptive foam, so as to lessen sound transmission through the wall to the upstairs. I only could do this with the speakers up front, but better than nothing I suppose.

post #78 of 107 Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

So here is my question, its probably a stupid one but here goes: is it a problem to have the fiberglass duct liner behind the AT screen exposed to open air? Would circulating air pick up fiberglass and carry it in the room, as a potential health hazard? I suppose I could buy a roll of cheap fabric and cover it. Thanks for any input.
post #79 of 107 Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have the faced side towards the room it won't be a problem. It is "duct liner" used in duct work right? Can't get much more airflow than that to a house. Nice progress BTW...the panels look really nice.
post #80 of 107 Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looking good

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #81 of 107 Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

If you have the faced side towards the room it won't be a problem. It is "duct liner" used in duct work right? Can't get much more airflow than that to a house. Nice progress BTW...the panels look really nice.

I do have the faced side towards the room, but the faced part seems to be made of a stiff layer of fiberglass as well, rather than fabric. This is the stuff I used, and the manufacturer says it can handle air flow, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/com...ose%C2%AE.aspx

post #82 of 107 Old 07-06-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a screen wall shot with the speakers installed. Oops, left the dust cover on them before taking the shot.

post #83 of 107 Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice! What speakers are you using?

*Edit* found the speakers on page 1.
post #84 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Here is an idea of the masking job the painters had to do for each acoustic panel: A serious pain in the butt, but painting flex trim to look like real wood wasn't something I wanted to tackle. Take my advice guys, don't show your wives these curved acoustic panels, it will save a lot of time and money!

post #85 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

But even though these curved acoustic panels were a pain in the butt, I have to concede the end product was worth it:

post #86 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Seymour AV 133" screen is now in. I went with a 16:9 screen because the shape of my wall accomodated it best. If I had a wider room, I would have done 2.35. Oh yeah, and as you can see, the carpet is in too, and I love it. I'll get a better picture of that later.

post #87 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I also got my reciever installed and fired up the sound system, AWESOME. The two Velodyne subs provide a very even distribution of low end throughout the room, and the Tru-Audio LCR and surround bad-boys don't dissapoint. And I love my Emotiva UPA-7 amp, best 7 channel amp for the buck, HANDS DOWN!

http://www.emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

Coming down the home stretch, I still need to:
  • Make GOM covered covers for speakers, mini-bass trap, subwoofers, and electronics.
  • Install Niles gaming jack
  • Get wife to decide on some wall sconces
  • Hang Panasonic projector
  • Buy some theater seats.

Anyone have any ideas for theater seats that have a bit classier/traditional look than Berklines? Nothing against the Berklines or other major brands, and I may end up going with them, but I'm trying to check out my options, and I'm looking for something that doesn't look quite so "Lazy-Boy recliner" and looks more traditional/classic for my theater.

I'm very open to ideas, please!

P.S. do you like how I'm hanging the projector last? Give me some props!
post #88 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Looking great!
post #89 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Lookin good. Better be done before I come down in September!
post #90 of 107 Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
3FB, your theater is looking great! Did you do anything clever on the curved flex molding to make them match the rest of the wood? It's hard to tell but it looks like you added some faux knots.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page