New Guy! New Theater build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been reading for a while now, and have used some of the great info on here to develop my plan (of sorts). I purchased the house I grew up in from my parents last year and have been doing several necessary updates before getting to the fun stuff. We've remodeled 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a dinning room and hardwood through the whole house since we bought it. We finished the basement/bar remodel last week and now it's time to start on the dedicated theater. In the basement, we have an old garage that is now obsolete. This will serve the purpose. The bad side of this is the ceiling height(seems to be a common theme in here. We're building a room inside a room to isolate from the rest of the house. I will post a picture of the floor plan for scrutiny probably tomorrow. The room is roughly 12'6x14'6 that we are planning on building. I'm looking at two rows of reclining seats and a 6" riser in the back. Here's where I'm starting:

The outside post will remain, the one to the left in the picture will be removed once the back wall of the theater is in place. The one that will remain will be inside the wall not to be seen. We are planning on building a chase in front of the water pipes with room to change the water filter/water heater, etc. So there's my starting point, like I said I'll have a DWG of the layout up tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Liked: 28
Always fun to plan a new build! Good luck!

Are you sure you have room for two rows of recliners?

My HT Build Thread: Brodie HT Build Thread
post #3 of 33 Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKZ51 View Post

The room is roughly 12'6x13'8 that we are planning on building.

What is the ceiling height? I have the same issue

Character is who you are when no one is looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I updated my original post it's 14'6 x 12'6 so I believe there's room for 2 rows, but we'll see what it looks like when we get closer. I won't order anything until we see how much room we have.

yyztmmb:
The ceiling in the room is 7' so it's pretty tight, but it's 6'8 in the rest of the basement so I think we'll be okay.
post #5 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the plan we're working with, anyone see anything majorly wrong here?
post #6 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Liked: 28
How big are you planning to make your screen (and how close is the front row to the screen?)

Are you sure you want your rear seating so close to the back wall?

16:9 screen or 2.35:1?

My HT Build Thread: Brodie HT Build Thread
post #7 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbrodie View Post

How big are you planning to make your screen (and how close is the front row to the screen?)

Are you sure you want your rear seating so close to the back wall?

16:9 screen or 2.35:1?

The front seat should be roughly 6'-6" from the screen, according to some of the online calculators 100"-120"(16:9) is about as big as I can go. In reality the back seats will be probably be straight and a little further from the wall. I've been doing floor plans for 15 years and have laid all the spacing issues out. But of course it's always different once everything is built.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You should really consider pushing that rear wall out to get the 2nd row of seats off of it. I would also consider making the theater space at least another foot wider.
post #9 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6023 Post(s)
Liked: 5612
First thing is that front wall is really wasting a lot of space. Yes you have a sump pump but there have been plenty of theaters documented here where the pump well is inside the theater hidden under a trap door in the front stage area. If you did this you would gain a lot of space and could do a really nice false front wall (Fabric) hiding the speakers. You could also do an acoustically transparent screen and put the speakers behind it.

I would move the water filter, but it could stay there if you don't know how to sweat copper pipes.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Are you soundproofing the room? If so, you'll want to consider double stud walls, a double door, and consider the ventilation isolation.

If the noise isn't an issue, then these points are not a consideration.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #11 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloslug View Post

You should really consider pushing that rear wall out to get the 2nd row of seats off of it. I would also consider making the theater space at least another foot wider.

The poles are pretty much limiting the width. Unfortunatly the sub-par contractor that built the house forgot to properly brace the main beam. When we started remodeling the bathroom above we noticed that the floor was lower in one corner. (3" across 6') So we installed the post to lift the corner of the upstairs floor. It's not perfect(3/4-1" across 6') The Post will be inside the wall so we won't even notice that it's there...other than it limiting the width. I did manage to squeek another 6" in there so we're @ 15'x12'6. That should give me room to move the chairs further away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

First thing is that front wall is really wasting a lot of space. Yes you have a sump pump but there have been plenty of theaters documented here where the pump well is inside the theater hidden under a trap door in the front stage area. If you did this you would gain a lot of space and could do a really nice false front wall (Fabric) hiding the speakers. You could also do an acoustically transparent screen and put the speakers behind it.

I would move the water filter, but it could stay there if you don't know how to sweat copper pipes.

We've talked about doing that, the limitng factor there is the fact that the water main comes in right there and most of the water distribution lines are right there. I can't even imagine the cost to relocate 40% of the copper piping in the house. Plus, If there ever was a problem with any of the water pipes or the sump in that area, it would be a nightmare. I spoke to the builder today and he highly suggested against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Are you soundproofing the room? If so, you'll want to consider double stud walls, a double door, and consider the ventilation isolation.

If the noise isn't an issue, then these points are not a consideration.

We probably will have some in-room noise cancelling, but noise isn't really a issue. We don't have kids, and don't have plans for kids so no one to disturb but me & my wife.

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming!
post #12 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm going to give it one more try. I don't see anything in this picture that you can't get to and service through either access panels or a trap door. The resulting extra 3 ft in your theater length can be priceless.

Sounds like your builder is lazy and just wants to put up a plain wall in the middle of nowhere. It's the least labor intensive route for him to take and once he has your money he could care less. Your room is too short for a two row theater with anything other than a dinky screen. You are looking at an 8ft first row viewing distance. When you look at all that wasted space in the basement to put in a theater room I can't stress enough the need to totally re-think this before you waste your money.

Aside from the general utility there will be such limited resale value to someone who looks at how you carved up that valuable real estate. Your plan results in a 181 sq ft room inside a 495 sq ft area or a 36% space utilization.
post #13 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm going to give it one more try. I don't see anything in this picture that you can't get to and service through either access panels or a trap door. The resulting extra 3 ft in your theater length can be priceless.

Sounds like your builder is lazy and just wants to put up a plain wall in the middle of nowhere. It's the least labor intensive route for him to take and once he has your money he could care less. Your room is too short for a two row theater with anything other than a dinky screen. You are looking at an 8ft first row viewing distance. When you look at all that wasted space in the basement to put in a theater room I can't stress enough the need to totally re-think this before you waste your money.

Aside from the general utility there will be such limited resale value to someone who looks at how you carved up that valuable real estate. Your plan results in a 181 sq ft room inside a 495 sq ft area or a 36% space utilization.

I appreciate the advice, really I do and I know I asked for help so I'm not complaining. However, I do know your assumption about the builder is wrong. He's a close friend and has been for a along time, not a random builder from craigslist. I think he's looking from aspect of ever having to replace the sump or the water main or the overhead lines. That being said, I will speak with him again to see what we can do about the space.
If it's too short for two rows then we'll figure something else out, it's really not the end of the world. This is nowhere near the budget of a lot of the builds on this forum. It's just a nice place to entertain the me/wife and couple of friends. The room has been a waste of space for 30 years any use is a major improvement. Besides, If the house was ever sold, I'll be dead and gone anyways, I doubt that I mind what it goes for.
post #14 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The front seat should be roughly 6'-6" from the screen, according to some of the online calculators 100"-120"(16:9) is about as big as I can go. In reality the back seats will be probably be straight and a little further from the wall. I've been doing floor plans for 15 years and have laid all the spacing issues out. But of course it's always different once everything is built.

Wow, 14 feet long with 2 rows of recliners and a 110" (average) screen width at 16:9, with the first row at 6'6" away. That's awfully close.

My screen is 110" diagonal at 16:9 and my first row is 10'8" away, and it is ALMOST too close. On top of that, my room is 20 feet long and I can BARELY fit two rows of recliners. You don't want the rear seats right up against the back wall, and you need at least 3 feet between rows to allow them to recline.

Looking at numbers in a spreadsheet is one thing. But sitting 6 feet away from a 110" screen is another story altogether. The "numbers" say it's on the edge of being acceptable, but in reality it's too close.

That's just my opinion, of course. You're free to do what you want. I like a big screen just as much as the next guy, but I can't even imagine sitting 6 feet away from my screen. There's no way I'd be able to enjoy it.

And if you have your back row seating right up against the rear wall, you'll have all sorts of acoustic issues to deal with.

Anyways, just something to think about.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #15 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why can't you just make the theater 16' X 24' with a pole in it?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #16 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Why can't you just make the theater 16' X 24' with a pole in it?

Didn't really want to deal with the lighting from the Window and the French Doors...not a big fan of having a pole in the middle of the room unless we have a singles changer and a couple of girls to dance around them

Update: I laid out the theater with the back wall moved all the way back....gonna have to sleep on it. Believe me, I'm all for it I just have to figure out how to cover the filter/ball valve/sump pump and still keep it symmetrical. I hate the look of an offset in a room.
post #17 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

I have to agree with everyone else, 14.6 is too short for two reclining rows comfortably. Maybe one row of straight back chairs in the rear and one reclining front row would work.

How about an exterior door that swings outwards instead of inwards? This would free up a lot of room in the proposed rear. Or you could spin the room 90 degrees at that point and have an 18.8 long room to work with. The Bar door could be your entrance and the wall it is on could be your screen. The sump pump side could be your equipment closet and a storage area.

PeaPod7
post #18 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't have to sleep on it, after some prodding and research, I believe I've found a way to make it work. I'll run it buy the builder Thursday and post up some pics tomorrow! Thanks for the help and the inspiration guys, looks like 18' -3 might actually work out after all.
post #19 of 33 Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

I think he's looking from aspect of ever having to replace the sump or the water main or the overhead lines.

In my plan the sump is totally accessible for repairs it is also in an area where you will notice immediately if it fails. It would be inside a moat that is the stage framing and protected with a battery powered water alarm. You tuck it back in that corner and it will be days before you notice a problem. If you have to replace a water main or the overhead lines you do it just like everyone who lives in a two story house and has to replace plumbing lines. You cut holes in the drywall/plaster do your repairs and patch the walls. It usually isn't the lines that fail but rather the valves. Any valve should have an access panel. The filter would have a panel. You won't see it because it will be behind the false screen wall.
post #20 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what I came up with last night:
post #21 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

YES! That sliding stage piece looks doable, but might get a little heavy. If it is you could build the frame in place and just make a removable access panel. If you leave the stage frame portion in place you could turn it into a moat around the sump pit by caulking it to the floor. Before you button it up, throw in a battery operated water alarm.
post #22 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

YES! That sliding stage piece looks doable, but might get a little heavy. If it is you could build the frame in place and just make a removable access panel. If you leave the stage frame portion in place you could turn it into a moat around the sump pit by caulking it to the floor. Before you button it up, throw in a battery operated water alarm.

Will do, and thanks for the guidance! Framing starts today!
post #23 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Excellent solution!

I have to say, if it were my space, I'd extend the theater to the doors on the back wall. I'd spend come money to have some blackout shades custom made to block ALL light from the doors. I would also have them made so they are removable (slide up or pull off) for those times when I wanted to watch a movie in the space.

My screen is a monster. I have a 130" wide (142" diagonal) 2.35:1 screen in my space. The front row is at 11.5'. It is almost too large, but then I hear the recommendations of the forum "go larger". I love it!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #24 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 PM

If you are going with the sliding wall panel, you could build the stage floor portion of the frame so you have some casters hidden by the skirt edge of the stage floor. This would allow easy moving of the whole unit in and out. Essentially, you would build the stage floor with the casters attached to the bottom, and then attach your finish trim on the front bottom edge of the stage floor. Position it so it is maybe a 1/4" off the floor, and it will hide the casters behind it.

PeaPod7
post #25 of 33 Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

post #26 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Very nice solution, good thing you kept at it.

I'm pushing the boundaries with 16' of usable space and 2' behind an AT screen with speakers and subs behind it. I have 2 reclining rows, with a total of 7 seats and a 120" scope screen which is about 9 and a half feet from the first row. I like the envelopment of the 1st row but some may consider (the wife) it a bit close.

Funny thing, my rear row is about 6-8" from the back wall and I always thought this would be an issue for me to live with as far as surround sound. Recently I've noticed how good the sound actually is in the rear row... I always figured front and center would be the money seat, actually though the surround is a bit more recognizable in the back and I can really feel the rumble of the subwoofer on the riser as well.

I really like the klipsch surround surround speakers I purchased as they have tweeters facing either side at a 45 degree angle which aids in the surround effect dispersion even though the seats are far back. Perhaps consider speakers with similar design.

I wish I noticed the thread a little sooner. I would have suggested for you to consider a third row bar opportunity in that back wall since sound isn't an issue. Wouldn't need to change much just change the framing so that people sitting back there would have an opening to view thru. It could easily be closed off with curtains as well to deal with the light issues from the double doors.
post #27 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

third row bar opportunity?
post #28 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, framing that back wall like something in this thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=row+bar

There is a paticular thread out there I am thinking of though. I'll see if I can find it.
post #29 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #30 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19364940

This is my bar that is literally 20' from the theater. I really like the way that is done, but I already had the bar in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page