Originally Posted by HopefulFred
^^This makes me crazy. How did you set the dado stack height? Just sneaking up on it?
Once you get it set for your test piece, you have to readjust three or four times and then come back to your actual work-pieces. Then to avoid resetting the blade eight times, you have to run all the edges through one step at a time - never seeing the final result (aside from the test piece) until you've fully committed both of your work-pieces. (me --> crazy)
And wait a second - the top panel is curved?!
All fair points, Fred. But it wasn't necessary to make the angled dado cuts that exact, plus the panels hadn't yet represented much time nor expense, so if I blew it, it was just back to the lumberyard and start again...
I did need to make some adjustments on the dimensions:
The score marks are part of my dado blade set -- the outsides of the outer blades have a little horn that sticks up which I believe is there to intentionally sever the wood fibers ahead of the cut. I experimented with just running the inner parts of the dado blades -- which are perfectly flat on the tops of the teeth -- and that seemed to work fine.
First step was to create that rounded shoulder on the router table. The straight passes down the sides were trivial, but I needed to figure out a way to make that cut on a curve, make sure it matches the arched frame of the door itself, and to make sure that it was smooth and even. Then it dawned on me that I already had the perfect "fence" for the router table:
Step 1 done on both sides of both panels:
The 90 degree dado was also pretty easy, and was sized so that the resultant tongue fit nicely into the door frames -- about 5/8" thick:
As you can see, I was even able to run the arched edge through that process, although it wasn't super precise and burned the shoulder of the panel a bit. All okay, though -- the thickness of the tongue was what mattered, and that was right on.
Then over to the workbench, earplugs out, and time for some hand tools. I ended up just making 2 passes for the angled dado cuts, leaving a small ridge of wood:
I have a little rabbeting plane that took that off in just a few seconds:
And a few more passes with that brought the beveled surfaces pretty close to where they needed to be:
Next, I made a little sanding sled:
And that took care of the final marks left by the rabbeting plane:
The last step was to deal with that arch, with quite a bit of material to remove:
But a block plane really made pretty quick work of that -- maybe 5 minutes a side:
That didn't get quite all the way, though, so from there it was a bit more work with the rabbeting plane, a hand scraper, and finally the sanding sled, which worked okay, even around the arch.
The door dry assembled:
And a shot of the tenons:
That brings us to present day. This weekend I'll do a bit more sanding of the machined parts of the panels (would be impossible to sand later), and then I'll glue the whole thing up. It's supposed to dump rain here in northern California this weekend so it'll be good shop weather.