DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1906Likes

post #4381 of 4571 Old 05-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
FYI that I am working on some new panels for in my home office.

I'm getting ready to do the same soon. I have some leftover material that I can make more panels out of, so figured why not. I'll be looking forward to your build and thoughts!
nickbuol likes this.

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-DR3 Gen 3 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4571 Old 05-28-2020, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 912
My problem is that I am not going rectangle, so I feel like whatever acoustical insulation I use I am just going to have a lot of waste. Oh well. For just talking, I can probably get away with cheaper 1" foam panels and cut them to size.
post #4383 of 4571 Old 05-29-2020, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrox View Post
Just thought I'd come over here and share - I got some prints from MyFabricDesigns a little while ago and they look great. I spanned a couple of the posters across two yards of combed cotton, really excited to see how they turn out! I'll keep putting updates here as I build the frames and get some insulation/material put in. Huge thanks to all of you in this thread and specifically Life of Bliss on YouTube for making a video about the topic.
That YouTube video was very helpful for me. When you have a chance take a look at the below and the embedded link within the video. It walks through how I constructed acoustic panels as well as how the movie posters were constructed. I have also added how I merged lettering into the images from movie mania.io. Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
matrox likes this.

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 4571 Old 05-29-2020, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
That YouTube video was very helpful for me. When you have a chance take a look at the below and the embedded link within the video. It walks through how I constructed acoustic panels as well as how the movie posters were constructed. I have also added how I merged lettering into the images from movie mania.io. Let me know your thoughts.
Great video. I love how you got the logos on the posters, if I end up getting any more I'll definitely give it a shot. I used the Paint.NET application (getpaint.net) to do mine and it looks like they uploaded and printed just fine.
post #4385 of 4571 Old 05-29-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrox View Post
Great video. I love how you got the logos on the posters, if I end up getting any more I'll definitely give it a shot. I used the Paint.NET application (getpaint.net) to do mine and it looks like they uploaded and printed just fine.
Thank you.

matrox likes this.

My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
post #4386 of 4571 Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
You don't even need to iron them. As you stretch them, just mist some wrinkle release on them. The folds come right out. Mine had heavy creases, and they came right out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bravo, I love the Jean Reno poster! I thought it was Léon at first glance, but I’ve never seen that art before.

I’m piecing my media room together now, and building a half dozen acoustic panels is on my to do list. I was just going to stretch some black burlap or spandex over them to keep the room totally blacked out, but it’s hard to argue how much character and pop these snazzy movie posters add to the room.
ddigler likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA S1812 x2; MA’s: Crowson x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
PJ: Epson 5050UB
Screen: Silver Ticket 106" HC
post #4387 of 4571 Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Bravo, I love the Jean Reno poster! I thought it was Léon at first glance, but I’ve never seen that art before.
It is a Léon poster.

https://www.moviemania.io/phone/movi...e-professional

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

| 135" SilverTicket AT screen | BenQ HT2050 | (3) DIY 18" Subs - 1 HT18 & 2 PN470 | iNuke DSP6000 amp |
post #4388 of 4571 Old 05-30-2020, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post

I’m piecing my media room together now, and building a half dozen acoustic panels is on my to do list. I was just going to stretch some black burlap or spandex over them to keep the room totally blacked out, but it’s hard to argue how much character and pop these snazzy movie posters add to the room.
It is Leon The Professional.

post #4389 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for you guys - if I took canvas artwork on frames and added sound absorbing material like insulation to the back and sealed them up, would that work?

Or would the canvas be too reflective? I don't want to print and build my own.
post #4390 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane View Post
Question for you guys - if I took canvas artwork on frames and added sound absorbing material like insulation to the back and sealed them up, would that work?

One of the issue you may encounter is that the canvas frames are not thick enough to hold the rockwool thickness available in home stores. With regards to canvas being less or more soundabsorbing the others can pitch in. My understanding is that the sound absorption happens due to the material you put behind it.

BobbyColtrane likes this.

post #4391 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6561
Fabric printed art work covering an absorption panel will slightly reduce the absorption capability. In the over all scheme of things does it matter? No, you don't need perfect absorbtion to achieve your goal of reducing unwanted audio reflections and reverb. You also don't want absorption covering too much of your wall space, a dead room is not a better room.

Also acoustic treatments don't need to be "sealed up" you just need to get the good stuff on the wall for it to function properly
nickbuol likes this.
post #4392 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
One of the issue you may encounter is that the canvas frames are not thick enough to hold the rockwool thickness available in home stores. With regards to canvas being less or more soundabsorbing the others can pitch in. My understanding is that the sound absorption happens due to the material you put behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Fabric printed art work covering an absorption panel will slightly reduce the absorption capability. In the over all scheme of things does it matter? No, you don't need perfect absorbtion to achieve your goal of reducing unwanted audio reflections and reverb. You also don't want absorption covering too much of your wall space, a dead room is not a better room.

Also acoustic treatments don't need to be "sealed up" you just need to get the good stuff on the wall for it to function properly
thank you both for your responses. I'm going to try it and see how things change.
post #4393 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

However I wouldn't go to all the trouble of using off the shelf art work from WalMart/IKEA to construct a home theater panel. Invest in the custom printed art work on fabrics that have been peer reviewed. If the canvas is thick, covered with paint and doesn't pass air it will not be a good choice.
nickbuol and matrox like this.
post #4394 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The performance knit cloth seems to have good reviews. I first constructed my acoustic panels with rockwool and spandex and then wrapped the custom pictures on it. For more details of how I did it check out my video.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 05-31-2020 at 08:18 AM.
post #4395 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyColtrane View Post

Do not do this. I know it seems like a quick experiment, but others have been there and I don't want to see you waste your time trying it. You are spot on that you are blocking a lot of frequencies using a solid canvas as not only is the fabric used more dense and blocking, but many times it is covered with paint and a protective layer that closes in any of the true transparency left.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a number of "professional" products using really thick material over their panels, and while they might still work for the most part, they aren't letting the acoustical insulation do what it is designed to do.
post #4396 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Jeff. How did you happen to stumble across our little part of the AVS forums? Usually you are neck deep into room design/construction/advice work? Happy to have you here.
post #4397 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 09:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

thanks, I've actually visited his thread probably 20 times to see what is up, just had something to say today.
nickbuol, 4fit?, DougUSMC and 1 others like this.
post #4398 of 4571 Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Definitely get some custom prints. I'm really happy with my prints from My Fabric Designs.
I'm waiting on the Rockwool for my posters right now - Currently putting the frames together and getting ready to put the panels together!
post #4399 of 4571 Old 06-01-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally, after all of these years, I just placed my first actual product order from MyFabricDesigns. LOL

fabric25 worked for 25% off my (first) purchase, which basically covered shipping plus a couple of dollars.

In my home theater I have Performance Knit from Spoonflower back before they stopped being the printer of choice and then dropped their Performance Knit product. It will be interesting to see the MFD Performance Knit for a comparison.

We shall see how long it takes to get here. Order was placed at 11:00pm central time in the U.S. on June 1st...

I bet they have no idea that I have sent so many people to them over the past few years.
blister64 likes this.
post #4400 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Finally, after all of these years, I just placed my first actual product order from MyFabricDesigns. LOL

fabric25 worked for 25% off my (first) purchase, which basically covered shipping plus a couple of dollars.

In my home theater I have Performance Knit from Spoonflower back before they stopped being the printer of choice and then dropped their Performance Knit product. It will be interesting to see the MFD Performance Knit for a comparison.

We shall see how long it takes to get here. Order was placed at 11:00pm central time in the U.S. on June 1st...

I bet they have no idea that I have sent so many people to them over the past few years.
My past 2 orders, took around 14 days. Not business days, all days.

nickbuol likes this.
post #4401 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I just put in my order for some printed fabric and will be treating my room.

Room is 15’ x 16’ x 10’ I plan on doing 10 2” x 2’ x 4’ panels on the wall, an additional 9 2”x 2’ x 2’ panels on the wall (under the tv and under a window) along with 12 2” x 2’ x 2’ suspended from the ceiling. A little unconventional, but I have about a 2’ x 2’ x 10’ bulkhead running up one of the back corners and when I was wiring the room I stuffed it with insulation to act as a bass trap. Otherwise with all the equipment I won’t have room for any other bass traps.

I was able to source OC 703 from a specialty insulation supply company which saved a ton on shipping. My plan for the panels is simple, just a wood frame stuffed with the 2” OC 703 covered by the performance knit fabric for the 6 prints and otherwise covered with guilford of Maine acoustic fabric for the other panels.

Anything I am missing?

-Trevor
post #4402 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
I just put in my order for some printed fabric and will be treating my room.

Room is 15’ x 16’ x 10’ I plan on doing 10 2” x 2’ x 4’ panels on the wall, an additional 9 2”x 2’ x 2’ panels on the wall (under the tv and under a window) along with 12 2” x 2’ x 2’ suspended from the ceiling. A little unconventional, but I have about a 2’ x 2’ x 10’ bulkhead running up one of the back corners and when I was wiring the room I stuffed it with insulation to act as a bass trap. Otherwise with all the equipment I won’t have room for any other bass traps.

I was able to source OC 703 from a specialty insulation supply company which saved a ton on shipping. My plan for the panels is simple, just a wood frame stuffed with the 2” OC 703 covered by the performance knit fabric for the 6 prints and otherwise covered with guilford of Maine acoustic fabric for the other panels.

Anything I am missing?

-Trevor
From what I read there seems to be some light filtration in just wrapping with one layer of fabric. My panels are wrapped in black spandex and then a performance knit on top and there is no light leakage.

trevordj likes this.

post #4403 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
From what I read there seems to be some light filtration in just wrapping with one layer of fabric. My panels are wrapped in black spandex and then a performance knit on top and there is no light leakage.

What do you mean by light leakage? Do you mean you can see the insulation under the fabric? I have a bunch of black speaker grill cloth I could use to combat that.

-Trevor
post #4404 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
What do you mean by light leakage? Do you mean you can see the insulation under the fabric? I have a bunch of black speaker grill cloth I could use to combat that.

-Trevor
Yes I heard a few people say that they could see the light going through.

trevordj likes this.

post #4405 of 4571 Old 06-02-2020, 09:27 PM

Awesome, thank you for that. I actually need to use that grill cloth anyway so I will plan on adding that as well.

-Trevor
post #4406 of 4571 Old 06-04-2020, 11:18 AM
abs

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Are there any concerns about any fibres leaking out from the panels into the air. Thinking for my projector mainly. Another thing I've asked a couple of guys on you tube who have shown their build videos, when importing your image into gimp and then resizing why can't I create a size for the panel in looking at making, eg 1200 x 600 mm? When I input these dimensions the software changes these measurements. So basically do you base your frame build on the measurements given out on the software?
post #4407 of 4571 Old 06-04-2020, 12:24 PM
abs

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Finished my Star Wars posters and can confirm I love the performance knit. No issues. Even if stretched, no artifacts or image degradation.
Looks really good.. Where did you get your images from with all the names etc?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
post #4408 of 4571 Old 06-04-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
Are there any concerns about any fibres leaking out from the panels into the air. Thinking for my projector mainly. Another thing I've asked a couple of guys on you tube who have shown their build videos, when importing your image into gimp and then resizing why can't I create a size for the panel in looking at making, eg 1200 x 600 mm? When I input these dimensions the software changes these measurements. So basically do you base your frame build on the measurements given out on the software?
It derived the y dimension when you enter the x. You can unlink it by clicking on the button next to it which will allow you to control each dimension independently but that can lead to distortion. I would recommend doing what I did by following the standard dimensions and adding fillers like a title In the bottom. See my video.

abs likes this.

post #4409 of 4571 Old 06-04-2020, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Minimal concerns about the fibers (or fibres ) with the panels if using rigid acoustical insulation. The main place that they could go into the room from would be the back, so it is recommended just to cover the pack of the panel with some sort of cheap fabric. Really anything will do. Then all fibers will be contained within the frame and front/back fabric.

As for GIMP changing your numbers, do you mean that you change one and the other changes too? genaccmiller is spot on if that is the case. You have to un-link the X and Y axis.

Be aware though that depending on the starting image dimensions, this could really distort the final image. Take a 300 mm x 200 mm image, enlarge the 200 to 600, and you end up with a 900 x 600 image that looks right, but isn't what you want. If you manually unlink the X and Y numbers, you are effectively stretching that by 300 more mm in the one direction.

Your other option would be to make it 1200 mm as desired, and then take the other dimension and crop it down to 600 mm. You throw away a lot of the image, but maybe it isn't critical.

Or, you keep something at 900 x 600 (as an example) and then add a movie title or something in the other 300 x 200 part of empty space to fill it to 1200 mm. That is what I've recommended a few times and was just done and pictures posted here by someone else just recently.
post #4410 of 4571 Old 06-04-2020, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check out my acoustic panels video where I show you how everything is held in place. I used landscape fabric.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page