DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1918Likes

post #4531 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Come on.

The snarky crap needs to stop.

As for some useful info, there is actually a good amount of sound energy in the 125Hz range that can still bounce around our rooms, but I'll say it again, if that is where someone has to "compromise" for cost and ease of purchase, those different coefficient numbers aren't screaming bloody murder and you will still do fine.

@blazin912 , that design looks nice, but is more work than it is worth. There was a mindset about 8+ years ago that the sides of absorption panels should be as open as possible to allow more sound energy into the panel. Seems very logical, and I was on that train too.

Then people started testing it and found that the impact of an open sided frame was barely measurable and certainly not worth any additional work to do. You have a bigger impact with the absorption material you pick than the measurable difference of open vs. solid panels, and again, we aren't terribly concerned as long as it follows the target of 3lb rigid insulation guidelines. If you want a real measurable difference, put an air gap between your insulation and the wall.
post #4533 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 374
[quote=nickbuol;59844756]Come on.

As for some useful info, there is actually a good amount of sound energy in the 125Hz range that can still bounce around our rooms, but I'll say it again, if that is where someone has to "compromise" for cost and ease of purchase, those different coefficient numbers aren't screaming bloody murder and you will still do fine.

@blazin912 , that design looks nice, but is more work than it is worth. There was a mindset about 8+ years ago that the sides of absorption panels should be as open as possible to allow more sound energy into the panel. Seems very logical, and I was on that train too.

Then people started testing it and found that the impact of an open sided frame was barely measurable and certainly not worth any additional work to do. You have a bigger impact with the absorption material you pick than the measurable difference of open vs. solid panels, and again, we aren't terribly concerned as long as it follows the target of 3lb rigid insulation guidelines. If you want a real measurable difference, put an air gap between your insulation and the wall. [/quote @nickbuol was there anything "snarky" about me saying there was a pandemic, and that's probably why they are slower with orders??? I'll respect your opinion, but I saw NOTHING that was "snarky".

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Come on...was there anything "snarky" about me saying there was a pandemic, and that's probably why they are slower with orders??? I'll respect your opinion, but I saw NOTHING that was "snarky".
Quote:
Yeah, you really provided some great info, by saying you haven't received your prints yet.
Snark

Quote:
I'm sure My Fabric Designs will look in this thread and get right on it for you.
Snark

Quote:
You must be really thin skinned if you think by me saying there was a pandemic, and that was probably holding your order up, was a snarky response.
Snark

Quote:
Do you sit down when you pee?
Snark, and potentially offensive as all hell. Not to me, but likely the majority of the rest of the planet.

I hope that cleared things up for you, this PSA is free of charge.
Again, Karma working out for me like a beast.
nickbuol likes this.
post #4535 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@nickbuol was there anything "snarky" about me saying there was a pandemic, and that's probably why they are slower with orders??? I'll respect your opinion, but I saw NOTHING that was "snarky".

I never said your name specifically, I am just trying not to let this discussion get into the toilet like I've seen happen elsewhere with other topics/hobbies.

@DougUSMC does have some valid points in his last post though...
b_scott likes this.
post #4536 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Come on.

Then people started testing it and found that the impact of an open sided frame was barely measurable and certainly not worth any additional work to do. You have a bigger impact with the absorption material you pick than the measurable difference of open vs. solid panels, and again, we aren't terribly concerned as long as it follows the target of 3lb rigid insulation guidelines. If you want a real measurable difference, put an air gap between your insulation and the wall. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Awesome, very helpful. I will try to do so. How much of a back gap is useful? 1/2" sufficient? Thinking the 1x4 is 3.5" anyway and allows for 1/2" air gap
post #4537 of 4582 Old 06-22-2020, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
Awesome, very helpful. I will try to do so. How much of a back gap is useful? 1/2" sufficient? Thinking the 1x4 is 3.5" anyway and allows for 1/2" air gap
Anything up to about 3" is helpful, the sweet spot being about 2".

For example, 2" of OC703 + 2" of air gap = performance close to 4" of OC703. Beyond that it starts to diminish. Other insulation may take a little more to gain similar level of performance

Anything helps, but the bigger the gap, the lower the frequencies it improves.
bubbrik likes this.
post #4538 of 4582 Old 06-23-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Wait, what??? There's a pandemic going on?!?!?! That's completely new information, thanks for sharing!!

OR

Maybe you could see that I'm responding to an ongoing topic throughout the thread, started by Nick a week or so ago:

I responded to this that mine was a couple of days behind his, so hopefully I'd see it soon. What I was doing was updating about a week later to show that I was still waiting for mine. I was also updating any new thread followers to the fact that they're more than 2 weeks out now, so they could have reasonable expectations for their own projects.

Thanks for letting me know things are a bit crazy out though, that's good information to have! I don't care what anyone says, you're alright!
Please explain to me how my answer was even remotely "snarky", and deserved this long winded, smartass response? It's funny how that response is just overlooked.

post #4539 of 4582 Old 06-23-2020, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just remember there's a pandemic going in right now, so they might be short handed. Be patient, they'll come soon.

I see nothing wrong with my comment, or anything "snarky" about it. Why it set him off, I have no idea. This is the last time I'll post about it.

Last edited by biglen; 06-23-2020 at 05:10 AM.
post #4540 of 4582 Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please explain to me how my answer was even remotely "snarky", and deserved this long winded, smartass response? It's funny how that response is just overlooked.
It's simple: I'm not stupid, and don't need you educating me on how the current global crisis is impacting manufacturing and shipping. The fact that you felt you needed to explain both of those things to someone you don't know is insulting and condescending.

If you'd bothered to read the last bunch of pages, you'd see that many that are following the thread have wondered how COVID is impacting the vendor's ability to receive and deliver on orders. You'll see that I had an order in and delivered already in the last few months, and reported on how COVID has impacted their delivery timelines. You'll see that Nick and others have done the same thing. You'll see that I used Nick's most recent order as a baseline for my own expectations. You'll see that I updated my own timeline a week later, to help baseline others' expectations. Lastly, you'll see a response where someone thanked me for doing so.

Now, instead of asking how I found your answer "snarky" (which was TBH the most polite way I could think of describing your rudeness), how about you try this: Why don't you let us all know why you felt the need to explain to me that COVID was happening and impacting shipping times? As I look at it, there's only four options:
1) You felt the need to preach
2) You thought I was a complete idiot and unaware
3) You didn't read through the last few pages of posts and were unaware of everything I outlined above
4) Your social graces in online forums are lacking and you didn't understand 1-3

IMO, any of those four are unacceptable, and push your response into the realm of "snarky".

If you want help with #4 , feel free to ask. Please lets not derail the thread any more though, and ask in a PM to save others the grief. Otherwise, if it's 1-3, I'm writing off helping you understand as an exercise in futility and that's MY last comment on the topic.
nickbuol likes this.
post #4541 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news, mine shipped last night, and should be here Thursday.

Final answer: Ordered 6/3, shipped 6/23 - 3 weeks real time, 14 business days.
nickbuol, b_scott and pkinneb like this.
post #4542 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 290
nice. How many did you order? I ordered 10, and my order was 6/17. Seems like I should be expecting mine the second week of July

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #4543 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Apparently my files were wonky. They reached out to confirm. Glad they didn't ship garbage.

Good customer service!

Still don't know what happened with the files, but 2nd upload seems ok. It's be great if they were corner justified rather than floating in the middle.

That ruler thing is hard to read
DougUSMC and pkinneb like this.
post #4544 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin912 View Post
Apparently my files were wonky. They reached out to confirm. Glad they didn't ship garbage.

Good customer service!

Still don't know what happened with the files, but 2nd upload seems ok. It's be great if they were corner justified rather than floating in the middle.

That ruler thing is hard to read
I think they will be corner justified if you don't click center, but it's better that they're away from the edge in case you need that extra space for stretching.
nickbuol likes this.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #4545 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
nice. How many did you order? I ordered 10, and my order was 6/17. Seems like I should be expecting mine the second week of July
I only ordered two. The first was a replacement for one I already made, that I messed up the scale on. The second is a test run of a design I'm considering.

UPS says they should be here tomorrow!
nickbuol likes this.
post #4546 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for some quick advice. I’m a long time follower of this thread who finally decided to follow the example of others on this board and cross this off of my to-do list. I spent yesterday learning GIMP 2.10 and I successfully created multiple prints. Each print includes 3 movie images. The total size of each print (the combined 3 images) is 56” wide x 33.6” high (this includes 4” black border on all sides). Bursting with confidence, I went to MFD to place my order only to discover that the maximum dimensions of basic combined cotton are 54”wide. So my options seem to be the following:

- Shrink my dimension size to fit 54” wide – more work
- Rotate my image 90 degrees so it fits and purchase 2 yards per print – which increases the cost
- Print on a different fabric such as performance knit, which has a 60” width

So my question – my apologies for taking so long to get to it – is has anyone printed on performance knit or anything other than basic combined cotton and if so, are you happy with it? I don’t mind shrinking my images but I thought I would ask before going that route.

BTW – thanks to all you have contributed to this thread, it really helped me get to this point with minimal effort!
post #4547 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5150 View Post
Looking for some quick advice. I’️m a long time follower of this thread who finally decided to follow the example of others on this board and cross this off of my to-do list. I spent yesterday learning GIMP 2.10 and I successfully created multiple prints. Each print includes 3 movie images. The total size of each print (the combined 3 images) is 56” wide x 33.6” high (this includes 4” black border on all sides). Bursting with confidence, I went to MFD to place my order only to discover that the maximum dimensions of basic combined cotton are 54”wide. So my options seem to be the following:

- Shrink my dimension size to fit 54” wide – more work
- Rotate my image 90 degrees so it fits and purchase 2 yards per print – which increases the cost
- Print on a different fabric such as performance knit, which has a 60” width

So my question – my apologies for taking so long to get to it – is has anyone printed on performance knit or anything other than basic combined cotton and if so, are you happy with it? I don’️t mind shrinking my images but I thought I would ask before going that route.

BTW – thanks to all you have contributed to this thread, it really helped me get to this point with minimal effort!
Performance is the preferred cotton so I’d go fir that. People here like it

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 12pk of 703 Owens Corning for $192 shipped...
nickbuol and pkinneb like this.

post #4548 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I just bit the bullet and ordered a 12pk of 703 Owens Corning for $192 shipped...
b_scott - Thank you for the response. Performance it is!
nickbuol likes this.
post #4549 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if it's too late, and you already placed the order, but you can save some money by using this exact 703 substitute by ATS. I used it, and it's great. Maybe you can still cancel the 703 order, and save a few bucks.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/item--A...oard--AB2.html

nickbuol and b_scott like this.
post #4550 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks - it would save me $20 but I'm not sure I can cancel. I will see if I can.
post #4551 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks - it would save me $20 but I'm not sure I can cancel. I will see if I can.
Did you order the 703 from ATS? If it hasn't shipped yet, hopefully they'll work with you and let you switch your order.

post #4552 of 4582 Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you order the 703 from ATS? If it hasn't shipped yet, hopefully they'll work with you and let you switch your order.

I did. Though honestly I'm not even sure it's worth the headache for $20. I might just keep that in mind for next time in case I need more.
biglen and pkinneb like this.

post #4553 of 4582 Old 06-29-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

703 ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DAB2286-BD2C-4B1E-8DF0-491F8340838F_1593464603919.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2750764  

post #4554 of 4582 Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New poster came in last week, and was mounted. They did a great job printing this one, but I don't know that it'll last. I think I'm chalking it up as "great idea, not so impressive in execution". For the record, this is ~ 72" by 28".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPoster.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2751084  
post #4555 of 4582 Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
...I think I'm chalking it up as "great idea, not so impressive in execution".
Care to elaborate?

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #4556 of 4582 Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Care to elaborate?
Sure. Basically I was really excited about the project while I was working on it. Taking each guitar, editing them down, cropping them, laying them out, making the arc, placement in the big field, getting ALL 9 Dragons in the same image, etc.

When I put it up on the wall, I just don't love it. The scale of the guitars to the whole looks off, IMO. They each look more like Ukuleles than guitars, the whole of the picture is more "busy" than "detailed", the background dominates too much.

I guess I can't really put into words why I just don't love it?
pkinneb likes this.
post #4557 of 4582 Old 06-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I've never seen a double neck Ukulele before.
DougUSMC likes this.
post #4558 of 4582 Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
New poster came in last week, and was mounted. They did a great job printing this one, but I don't know that it'll last. I think I'm chalking it up as "great idea, not so impressive in execution". For the record, this is ~ 72" by 28".

I think it looks pretty cool!
post #4559 of 4582 Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think it looks cool as well! You obviously went to a lot of time and effort and it shows...
post #4560 of 4582 Old 07-01-2020, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ordered 10 prints on 6/17. They shipped today 7/1. Should be here Friday 7/3.
nickbuol and DougUSMC like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page