PTAaron's English Way Cinema and Bar - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 458Likes

post #871 of 916 Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Nothing new or interesting to report... just enjoying things as they are currently. Watched Ghost in the Shell yesterday - being someone that wasn't familiar with the anime I really liked the movie.

Still have a to do list:
1) finish the bar rail with 4-5 coats of clear coat
2) do the epoxy on the bar top
3) finish the trim on the back of the bar and paint the boards back there black
4) adjust the center channel speaker stand to get the speaker sitting more level - still has a slight upward tilt to it
5) decide if I want to angle my side speakers down just a bit... and if I do, figure out how to do that

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 916 Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I got better sound in my old cinema when angling the side and back surrounds down to point at the MLPs head.
Will do the same in the new cinema.
PTAaron likes this.

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
post #873 of 916 Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
I got better sound in my old cinema when angling the side and back surrounds down to point at the MLPs head.
Will do the same in the new cinema.
My rears angle down... I had always been intending to move my sides down, but now I have decided that won't be happening (it's only been 7 years since I decided I was going to do it) - so giving them a little tilt seems like a good compromise
Tricky part will be implementing it.. they mount on plates, so I probably have to build some small angled supports to go behind the plates.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 916 Old 10-15-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Love it when theater candy goes on sale!

-Aaron
post #875 of 916 Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I can't help but notice the stack of 3D glasses and 3D blu-rays. Do you guys still enjoy watching 3D movies? I really like them, but my current TV was bought before they came out (it's a 50" refurb 710p plasma... lol), and am a little worried that 3D in home projectors is going to go the way of the dodo by the time I finally build a room for one. So as it stands, I have a big collection of 3D movies that I mostly end up watching on my Oculus Rift.
post #876 of 916 Old 10-18-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWilhelm View Post
I can't help but notice the stack of 3D glasses and 3D blu-rays. Do you guys still enjoy watching 3D movies? I really like them, but my current TV was bought before they came out (it's a 50" refurb 710p plasma... lol), and am a little worried that 3D in home projectors is going to go the way of the dodo by the time I finally build a room for one. So as it stands, I have a big collection of 3D movies that I mostly end up watching on my Oculus Rift.

We’re huge 3D fans... still watch them quite a bit. I’m staying hopeful that projectors will continue to support 3D.
At the last home theater get together we watched some 3D on a 165” screen - was incredible!
I’ll be very disappointed if that option ever goes away. We were mad when we found out we couldn’t get a TV with 3D anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Aaron
post #877 of 916 Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
We’re huge 3D fans... still watch them quite a bit. I’m staying hopeful that projectors will continue to support 3D.
At the last home theater get together we watched some 3D on a 165” screen - was incredible!
I’ll be very disappointed if that option ever goes away. We were mad when we found out we couldn’t get a TV with 3D anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I dont like 3D on Television sized screens but I like it a lot on projector screens. Thats what makes it IMO. Yeah Jeremys 160" was awesome. The JVC had a very sharp 3D image as well. Probably the best 3D I have experienced.

DLP's lie yours are really good at 3D also so I bet it looks really good on your setup
PTAaron likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
post #878 of 916 Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
I dont like 3D on Television sized screens but I like it a lot on projector screens. Thats what makes it IMO. Yeah Jeremys 160" was awesome. The JVC had a very sharp 3D image as well. Probably the best 3D I have experienced.

DLP's lie yours are really good at 3D also so I bet it looks really good on your setup

Yeah, it’s not the same on a little screen - I guess it was more the principle of it

It does look really nice on the DLP, I have no complaints at all!

I’m still debating having a small “check out a budget home theater” get together now that the rest of the basement is mostly done aside from some sanding and clear coating on the bar.

-Aaron
post #879 of 916 Old 10-19-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no "budget" , "no budget" GTG's. Its more about the people than the equipment IMO.

Just have plenty of home brew on hand lol
PTAaron and Kevin4730 like this.

FOR SALE:
post #880 of 916 Old 10-19-2017, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is no "budget" , "no budget" GTG's. Its more about the people than the equipment IMO.

Just have plenty of home brew on hand lol

You are correct sir. I just feel a disclaimer would be necessary after experiencing the previous get togethers. LOL!

-Aaron
post #881 of 916 Old 10-19-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
I’m still debating having a small “check out a budget home theater” get together now that the rest of the basement is mostly done aside from some sanding and clear coating on the bar.
I wish there were more home theater hobbyists in my area.
My friends and family are totally happy with their living room flat screens and maybe a sound bar if going all out.
In the 6 years or so since I was first hooked I have seen three other theaters.
First: A coworker who had a pretty nice setup but contracted the entire thing out. Didn't know much about the room or the gear and wasn't a movie buff.
Second: An actual AVS Forums GTG held four hours away. I wanted to experience the obviously top notch theater, but everyone was there to compare a bunch of different speakers. As with any mixed crowd, I met some great guys, but also a couple self-absorbed center seat hogging a-holes.
Third: I sort of invited myself over to a local AVS member's house. A bit awkward having a stranger introduce me to his wife and kids. He had a nice system and we watched an entire movie. All in all a very good experience.

I suppose all of this is to encourage you to have the Geek Meet (as my wife calls them). 90% of the time this hobby is a solo-affair, but getting a group of enthusiasts together, budget system or not, can be a great learning experience and a lot of fun.
PTAaron likes this.
post #882 of 916 Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PTAaron's English Way Cinema and Bar

Had a “guy’s movie day” last weekend... was a great time but it highlighted an issue I wasn’t aware of: with 6 guys in the room with the projector running and 2 AVRs powered up... and no air returns in the room... it gets REALLY hot in there!! This was the first time I had the room filled up for an extended period of time since adding the projector - and now I need to come up with a CHEAP way to cool the room down.
I was thinking maybe I could add a vent in the ceiling on the wall shared with the furnace room with a fan attached to pull air out (can’t hook into the furnace return, checked it out with HVAC father in law and it would be a major project), and maybe an inlet pulling air from the area outside the door?
I dunno... any thoughts?

Some pics from the movie event:

(themed shots at the bar thanks to my wife )

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 11-09-2017 at 05:34 AM.
post #883 of 916 Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Had a “guy’s movie day” last weekend... was a great time but it highlighted an issue I wasn’t aware of: with 6 guys in the room with the projector running and 2 AVRs powered up... and no air returns in the room... it gets REALLY hot in there!! This was the first time I had the room filled up for an extended period of time since adding the projector - and now I need to come up with a CHEAP way to cool the room down.
I was thinking maybe I could add a vent in the ceiling on the wall shared with the furnace room with a fan attached to pull air out (can’t hook into the furnace return, checked it out with HVAC father in law and it would be a major project), and maybe an inlet pulling air from the area outside the door?
I dunno... any thoughts?

Some pics from the movie event:

(themed shots at the bar thanks to my wife )

Sounds like a fun time and I noticed this on our KC Theater Crawl back in February in some of the theaters it getting hot after being in the room for about 20 minutes. If you have a unfinished room next to the theater near the HVAC system you could probably install a dead vent I think it is called. Basically in the wall in your HVAC room you would build a box for flex duct and a fan to pull air out of the theater room. Do a Google search for dead vent and it will give all kind of ideas how to build one. The Soundproofing Company I think could help you out on how to build one and make it so it doesn't add noise in the room.

This is one major concern I have with building my room and I want to go with a mini split so I cool the room when it gets hot in there or hopefully just adding supplies and returns are enough.
PTAaron likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #884 of 916 Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Sounds like a fun time and I noticed this on our KC Theater Crawl back in February in some of the theaters it getting hot after being in the room for about 20 minutes. If you have a unfinished room next to the theater near the HVAC system you could probably install a dead vent I think it is called. Basically in the wall in your HVAC room you would build a box for flex duct and a fan to pull air out of the theater room. Do a Google search for dead vent and it will give all kind of ideas how to build one. The Soundproofing Company I think could help you out on how to build one and make it so it doesn't add noise in the room.

This is one major concern I have with building my room and I want to go with a mini split so I cool the room when it gets hot in there or hopefully just adding supplies and returns are enough.

Yeah that’s kind of what I was thinking as far as the dead vent into the HVAC room nextdoor. I could set up a trigger for the fan from my AVR or I could install an Insteon controlled outlet for it. I’m wondering if a similar vent without a fan coming from the adjacent space (bar/pool table/arcade) would be helpful as a source to pull fresh air. The whole basement has a drop ceiling so access is easy.

-Aaron
post #885 of 916 Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Great work! Nice thread updates. I hadn't seen the bar progress until now.

I'm in the middle of re-building my bar and a snack bar in the TV viewing area (at the same time). I'll have to take some pictures and update my thread. I was considering using unstained wood flooring (3/4") for a bar surface, but it seems like that may be extra effort not worth the end result. Do you have any thoughts either way on whether you like the flooring vs. a stained plywood surface?

Also - do you rebuild arcade machines? My cousin is building a 60-1 for me now out of an old Galaga cabinet and is just waiting on a monitor to become available. I haven't been pushing him because I need to finish the bar and flooring first. But, if you know of any monitor sources or tips, that would be great!

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #886 of 916 Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post
Great work! Nice thread updates. I hadn't seen the bar progress until now.

I'm in the middle of re-building my bar and a snack bar in the TV viewing area (at the same time). I'll have to take some pictures and update my thread. I was considering using unstained wood flooring (3/4") for a bar surface, but it seems like that may be extra effort not worth the end result. Do you have any thoughts either way on whether you like the flooring vs. a stained plywood surface?

Also - do you rebuild arcade machines? My cousin is building a 60-1 for me now out of an old Galaga cabinet and is just waiting on a monitor to become available. I haven't been pushing him because I need to finish the bar and flooring first. But, if you know of any monitor sources or tips, that would be great!
Oh Wow, sorry I missed this post! I’ve been away from AVS for a bit because the bar build kind of burned me out.
I am very happy that we went with the prefinished flooring for our bar top. The pattern and varied shades of the wood really give it a nice look that I don’t think I would have been able to get with just stained plywood. Although on my bar the sides are stained plywood and they look nice too.

I don’t rebuild arcade machines - closest I’ve come was replacing capacitors in the CRT monitor for my wife’s machine I built, and I needed my father in law’s help to get it working again after I “fixed it”.

I got my monitor (27/29” makvision CRT) at an arcade auction... I don’t think that’s helpful though.

If you’re looking for a crt look on Craigslist and sometimes you’ll find cheap ones that just need a cap kit. I don’t know enough about them to know which ones work for what applications though. Someone else just told me what to go out and buy for my wife’s machine (running MAME with around 10,000 games)
BasementHT5 likes this.

-Aaron
post #887 of 916 Old 01-21-2018, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PTAaron's English Way Cinema and Bar

Finally did something semi theater related... added an electric fireplace to the “lobby” area!

Of course this addition makes me realize that I REALLY need to add some wainscoting or SOMETHING to that wall... looks kinda crappy compared to the bar
Going to have to find a stain that is somewhere between the mahogany of the bar and the cherry of the fireplace so they both blend.

Maybe I should have a few Michigan folks over to brainstorm... maybe that will help get me motivated again.
brian6751 and Jk7.2 like this.

-Aaron
post #888 of 916 Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Stone veneer maybe?

FOR SALE:
post #889 of 916 Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stone veneer maybe?

That’s a cool idea!

Whatever we do on that wall we’re also going to do behind the bar up to the point where the laminate flooring ends at the edge of the bar... kind of differentiate the bar from the “arcade” area. In my head that will look cool
Jk7.2 likes this.

-Aaron
post #890 of 916 Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I was looking at a Facebook arcade machine group and happened to catch someone posting up some Megatouch machines for sale for a great price... ran over to his arcade and came home with 2!
My wife has wanted one for as long as I’ve known her... so these are actually hers - but still!

Once she decides which one she likes better, we’ll be finding a spot for it in the bar area and selling off the other one.

-Aaron
post #891 of 916 Old 02-14-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sweet!

I’m already planning to build a Rasberry pi arcade machine for my basement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOR SALE:
post #892 of 916 Old 02-15-2018, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sweet!

I’m already planning to build a Rasberry pi arcade machine for my basement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a retropi setup too... our basement is turning into an arcade! LOL!
brian6751 and Waterboy77 like this.

-Aaron
post #893 of 916 Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Been away a long time... I've had a lot of craziness going on this year, so the theater is getting no attention.

Only update I have for the theater is that sometime between last night and today my Insteon hub has died... Discovered that tidbit when I couldn't control my lights with my remote anymore while friends were showing us "slides" from their vacation.

I've read that this is common and there is a specific capacitor I need to replace to revive it - but it should also still be under warranty so I'm hopeful I can just get a new one. Hopefully without having to recreate all of my scenes...

Lately my spare time has been taken up with a new project. My dad decided in May that he wanted to get rid of his 1975 MGB buy handing me the keys and the title! Complete and total shock... definitely not something I expected or even really wanted at the time, but I'm really happy about it now

So I've been spending most of my "spare" time doing little things to the new toy:

brian6751 and Ladeback like this.

-Aaron
post #894 of 916 Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
[QUOTE=PTAaron;56524610]Been away a long time... I've had a lot of craziness going on this year, so the theater is getting no attention.

Only update I have for the theater is that sometime between last night and today my Insteon hub has died... Discovered that tidbit when I couldn't control my lights with my remote anymore while friends were showing us "slides" from their vacation.

Wait, did you say slides? I didn't know you could still get slides and who uses real film these days. That's old school.

Getting the car film your dad is pretty awesome. The old MGB's are cool.
PTAaron likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #895 of 916 Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Ladeback;56524700]
Quote:
Been away a long time... I've had a lot of craziness going on this year, so the theater is getting no attention.

Wait, did you say slides? I didn't know you could still get slides and who uses real film these days. That's old school.

Getting the car film your dad is pretty awesome. The old MGB's are cool.

Haha!
I put it in quotes because it was actually digital photos being shown on the projector over AirPlay ... just old school slide show style.

-Aaron
post #896 of 916 Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Lately my spare time has been taken up with a new project. My dad decided in May that he wanted to get rid of his 1975 MGB buy handing me the keys and the title! Complete and total shock... definitely not something I expected or even really wanted at the time, but I'm really happy about it now

So I've been spending most of my "spare" time doing little things to the new toy:
Thats awesome PTAaron..... I miss my old MGB
PTAaron likes this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #897 of 916 Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thats awesome PTAaron..... I miss my old MGB

Thanks!
What year was yours?

-Aaron
post #898 of 916 Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Insteon is providing me with a shipping label to send my hub in for repair... apparently this problem is common enough that they will repair or replace the hubs even if they are out of warranty (mine is still in warranty).
Down side is I can’t control my lights for about the next 2 weeks... up side is it’s getting fixed for free

-Aaron
post #899 of 916 Old 07-23-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Thanks!
What year was yours?
1978.... Blue rubber bumper
PTAaron likes this.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #900 of 916 Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
1978.... Blue rubber bumper

Nice, I really like the blue ones.
If I somehow come across spare $ I’ll be lowering mine a little. The exhaust needs some work too... back in 2003 we put on a supercharger, headers, a larger exhaust, and a glass pack type muffler. That muffler is harsh... tone is a bit too high and it’s very loud. I need to find one that can lower the tone a bit and maybe quiets it down a notch.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Basement Bar , english way cinema , Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page