SOWK's Home Theater Build - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 348 Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
[QUOTE=SOWK;58158724]June 2019





Are those NOESIS 215RT's for your front stage?
Mike_WI likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 348 Old 06-09-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Are those NOESIS 215RT's for your front stage?
212RT’s
burton14e7 and llang269 like this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #333 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
femi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Hey @SOWK , how does your Cap 4000's sound being in the corners compare to your old location?

Femi

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
femi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
Hey @SOWK , how does your Cap 4000's sound being in the corners compare to your old location?

Femi
A decent amount better. I did a full REW this time and tried it in at least 10 positions. This one seemed to work the best. My system is sounding pretty incredible to me at the moment, and that is a good thing.
femi, OJ Bartley, llang269 and 1 others like this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #335 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post


Are those NOESIS 215RT's for your front stage?

This was when I had 215RT's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	2578260  

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #336 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Why did you go to the 212RT's? Were the 215's to much?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #337 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Why did you go to the 212RT's? Were the 215's to much?

I had first gen 215RT's and they had some issues when I was sending them LFE channel information


I decided to go with 212RT's as I no longer desire to route LFE to my mains, they are smaller, more efficient, and the horn is at ear level vs the 215RT's
Ladeback likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #338 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Member
 
feistyacorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
A decent amount better. I did a full REW this time and tried it in at least 10 positions. This one seemed to work the best. My system is sounding pretty incredible to me at the moment, and that is a good thing.
I was able to hear the latest upgrades yesterday. Between the 212RT, repositioned subs and added acoustic treatment... I really don't know how you can get much better. All of the hard work paid off Tony!
SOWK likes this.

___________________________________

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
___________________________________

Last edited by feistyacorn; 06-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.
feistyacorn is offline  
post #339 of 348 Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I had first gen 215RT's and they had some issues when I was sending them LFE channel information


I decided to go with 212RT's as I no longer desire to route LFE to my mains, they are smaller, more efficient, and the horn is at ear level vs the 215RT's
Thanks for the info. Wish I could afford the 212RT's. I some old Klipsch kPS-400's with built in 300 watt 15" sealed subs that need some work on the subs since the him like crazy. My center is a Klipsch RC-7. They sound good, I ill jsut have to wait to upgrade years down the road.
SOWK likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #340 of 348 Old 06-30-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I’ll let you decide
My wife and I were pleased to take you up on your offer yesterday, and we both came away impressed.

I have to say that your theater has really reached an experience level that I wouldn't have imagined possible. The integration of the D-BOX system works in a way that really has to be experience. You're no longer simply watching a movie, you're now an active participant.

The demo started with some musical clips, and the sound was just clear, precise, and clean.

Then we got to the movie demos, and this is where the D-BOX kicked in, and I do mean kicked. We had demoed the D-BOX system previously at CEDIA years ago, and neither of us was impressed with it, it just felt like a series of disjointed and distracting movements, and we were happy to give up our seats and let other people try it. It was one of those things that I able to immediately cross off our list of upgrades, considering the cost/effect ratio.

Our opinion has completely changed after visiting Tony's theater. While the system still features shaking movements, they no longer felt disjointed, and matched the sight and sound perfectly. While my wife gets motions sick quite easily, she was fine after her brain adjusted. I normally do not get motion sick, but have to admit getting some twinges throughout the demo. The flight attack scene from Unbroken was incredible. We had demoed this scene at Tony's last GTG before the D-BOX installation, and I thought it was the best showpiece for his system, with the subs hitting just right to pull the viewer into the action. But the addition of D-BOX takes this scene to an all-new level! When thinking of D-BOX my first thoughts were always about the violence of them, and that's a big part of the system. The real standout part of the demo to me was the gentle, gliding effect of the flight scenes. It really felt like you were in the bomber, with air currents slowly, but noticeable, raising and lowering the plane as it traveled on it's journey. The effect was nothing short of incredible.

The other demos were equally effective. Fury was a bumpy ride, and The Incredible Hulk really brought home the violence of the sonic cannon battle scene.

After the official demo, Tony was kind enough to indulge my love of Star Wars by playing a few specific scenes from The Empire Strikes Back. This is one of my favorite films of all-time, and there were three specific scenes that I thought would meld well with the D-BOX system. The first is the morning after Han rescues Luke from the freezing conditions of Hoth. That scene, with the snowspeeders flying towards Han and Luke's shelter, always conveyed a convincing feeling of flight, especially when the ground drops from underneath Rogue Two's speeder. Now, when paired with D-BOX, that feeling is present through most of that entire sequence. Just amazing. The other two clips were the battle on Hoth, with the speeders flying around the AT-AT's and between their legs, and then the asteroid field chase.

Even being very familiar with this material, I have to say that I got literal chills watching them in Tony's theater, a feeling I've not had since seeing them in the theater for the first time. The experience was just that transformative.

After the demo, I no longer consider the D-BOX system a superfluous indulgence. While the price point is beyond what most of us would ever be able to justify, the effect is something special. It would be hard not to just sit down and rewatch every movie one owns just to reexperience them, looking for the most spectacularly transformative scenes. It's so good, in fact, that we now have independent witnesses that heard my wife say that it's something that we could consider for the future. That's something that I would never have expected before the demo, and remarkable in and of itself.

Hats off to a fantastic addition to your already incredible home theater!

Addendum 1: I should mention that for those of you fortunate enough to visit Tony's theater in the future, be sure to check you pockets before you leave. No, he's not secretly financing his upgrades by pickpocketing guests, but the power of the D-BOX system was actually powerful enough to jostle my cell phone out of my pocket.

Addendum 2: I think it would be an interesting experiment to have someone with a Fitbit or similar watch to see the same clip twice. The first time without D-BOX turned on, and the second time with it engaged. I'd be willing to bet that even though it would be the second viewing, therefore less-engaging movie-wise, the D-BOX viewing would show an increased heart rate of at least 20-30%. Let's put some science into AVS!

Scott


Last edited by srw1000; 06-30-2019 at 05:22 PM.
srw1000 is offline  
post #341 of 348 Old 06-30-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
@srw1000

That was a seriously humbling post. I truly appreciate it. So thank you very much. It means a lot to me.

And if you ever want to make a day of it with Nicki, I am more than willing to do a triple showing of the original Star Wars movies.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #342 of 348 Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
My wife and I were pleased to take you up on your offer yesterday, and we both came away impressed.

I have to say that your theater has really reached an experience level that I wouldn't have imagined possible. The integration of the D-BOX system works in a way that really has to be experience. You're no longer simply watching a movie, you're now an active participant.

The demo started with some musical clips, and the sound was just clear, precise, and clean.

Then we got to the movie demos, and this is where the D-BOX kicked in, and I do mean kicked. We had demoed the D-BOX system previously at CEDIA years ago, and neither of us was impressed with it, it just felt like a series of disjointed and distracting movements, and we were happy to give up our seats and let other people try it. It was one of those things that I able to immediately cross off our list of upgrades, considering the cost/effect ratio.

Our opinion has completely changed after visiting Tony's theater. While the system still features shaking movements, they no longer felt disjointed, and matched the sight and sound perfectly. While my wife gets motions sick quite easily, she was fine after her brain adjusted. I normally do not get motion sick, but have to admit getting some twinges throughout the demo. The flight attack scene from Unbroken was incredible. We had demoed this scene at Tony's last GTG before the D-BOX installation, and I thought it was the best showpiece for his system, with the subs hitting just right to pull the viewer into the action. But the addition of D-BOX takes this scene to an all-new level! When thinking of D-BOX my first thoughts were always about the violence of them, and that's a big part of the system. The real standout part of the demo to me was the gentle, gliding effect of the flight scenes. It really felt like you were in the bomber, with air currents slowly, but noticeable, raising and lowering the plane as it traveled on it's journey. The effect was nothing short of incredible.

The other demos were equally effective. Fury was a bumpy ride, and The Incredible Hulk really brought home the violence of the sonic cannon battle scene.

After the official demo, Tony was kind enough to indulge my love of Star Wars by playing a few specific scenes from The Empire Strikes Back. This is one of my favorite films of all-time, and there were three specific scenes that I thought would meld well with the D-BOX system. The first is the morning after Han rescues Luke from the freezing conditions of Hoth. That scene, with the snowspeeders flying towards Han and Luke's shelter, always conveyed a convincing feeling of flight, especially when the ground drops from underneath Rogue Two's speeder. Now, when paired with D-BOX, that feeling is present through most of that entire sequence. Just amazing. The other two clips were the battle on Hoth, with the speeders flying around the AT-AT's and between their legs, and then the asteroid field chase.

Even being very familiar with this material, I have to say that I got literal chills watching them in Tony's theater, a feeling I've not had since seeing them in the theater for the first time. The experience was just that transformative.

After the demo, I no longer consider the D-BOX system a superfluous indulgence. While the price point is beyond what most of us would ever be able to justify, the effect is something special. It would be hard not to just sit down and rewatch every movie one owns just to reexperience them, looking for the most spectacularly transformative scenes. It's so good, in fact, that we now have independent witnesses that heard my wife say that it's something that we could consider for the future. That's something that I would never have expected before the demo, and remarkable in and of itself.

Hats off to a fantastic addition to your already incredible home theater!

Addendum 1: I should mention that for those of you fortunate enough to visit Tony's theater in the future, be sure to check you pockets before you leave. No, he's not secretly financing his upgrades by pickpocketing guests, but the power of the D-BOX system was actually powerful enough to jostle my cell phone out of my pocket.

Addendum 2: I think it would be an interesting experiment to have someone with a Fitbit or similar watch to see the same clip twice. The first time without D-BOX turned on, and the second time with it engaged. I'd be willing to bet that even though it would be the second viewing, therefore less-engaging movie-wise, the D-BOX viewing would show an increased heart rate of at least 20-30%. Let's put some science into AVS!

Scott
srw1000, that is a great write up. I also had the opportunity to experience SOWK theater last weekend I don't live that far from Tony so I am lucky enough to visit his theater several times over the last 3-4 years and it has always been a fun and well set up system.

Talking with Tony recently I knew he was having good progress integrating the new JTR set up and additional sound treatments are almost always a plus as is the case here. I will not repeat all of srw100 post because it is spot on, and I also agree no matter how well you try to describe this experience at SOWKS theater it has to be experienced. I would not have believed the command the dbox has over the physical movement of the chair unless I experienced it. Not even just the power but the programming is time aligned flawlessly. I truly was never much a fan of bass shakers. Believe me this is not that! WOW is all I can say. I have also heard if not done properly it can be disjointed but not here. Tony did tell me he believes the whole system has to be capable to make it seemless and JTR speakers seem to really fit the bill here.

If you are lucky enough to get an invite to this theater you should take it. Not only is the equipment great but the thought behind the demo sequence is flawless (and funny at times!) This the pinnacle of HT experience. The equipment, design and integration is A++
srw1000, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
lbrown105 is offline  
post #343 of 348 Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Member
 
AMarinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Belo Horizonte - Brazil
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Beatiful home theater and great lobby! Congrats!
SOWK likes this.
AMarinho is offline  
post #344 of 348 Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,972
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
2019


Moar Black Please
Ladeback and pkinneb like this.
Rgb is online now  
post #345 of 348 Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Moar Black Please

I can always turn off the lights in the room.
Mike_WI and feistyacorn like this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is online now  
post #346 of 348 Old Today, 07:12 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,972
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I can always turn off the lights in the room.
A Singularity called and wants it's Black Hole back...

Rgb is online now  
post #347 of 348 Old Today, 07:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,972
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I can always turn off the lights in the room.
...or just use...

...wait for it...

Black Lights!
Rgb is online now  
post #348 of 348 Old Today, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
A Singularity called and wants it's Black Hole back...




Scott apparently named it correctly then. It was featured as HT of the month and he called it the Black Hole:


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-co...lack-hole.html

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; Today at 07:37 AM.
SOWK is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off