Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #391 of 452 Old 05-28-2016, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 106
My wife needed some stuff at Hobby Lobby today and she told me they had a section of theater themed decorative items so I checked them out. They had some neat stuff, marquees, film reels, vintage look metal signs, etc. I bought this one, the regular price was listed as $24.99 but Hobby Lobby merchandise is either always on sale or they always have the 40% off coupon on the website that you can pull up on your phone and use at check out. This sign was on sale for $7.50.

We have another store that may be local only, I know it started in Omaha back in the 70's and I don't think it spread nationally but could be wrong. It is called Gordman's, used to be Richman Gordmans. We were in there as well and they didn't have theater themed stuff but they had a lot of bar themed stuff including some fairly cheap metal signs that had LED bulbs attached:

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 452 Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Cool stuff. Some of my fondest childhood memories were playing in that giant blue elephant in Richman Gordman's.
post #393 of 452 Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Last spring I came up with an idea to expand my garage with a two story addition:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 452 Old 11-11-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The company I hired started the work this week. Hopefully the pictures show up OK.

post #395 of 452 Old 11-11-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #396 of 452 Old 11-11-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Is the expansion garage space or something else?

Exciting either way. I have a walkout house with a garage. Hmmmmmm . . . .
post #397 of 452 Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Garage above and I'm not sure yet what to do with the bottom portion, maybe make that a beer brewing room.

Floor pour went in yesterday:

NickTheGreat likes this.

post #398 of 452 Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Two guys basically finished this thing in 2 days, the siding goes on today. It has been pretty cold here, they are probably motivated to finish it quickly.

BRAD S and Rengozu like this.

post #399 of 452 Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's been a wet couple months but now that things are warming up and drying off I've been making some more progress on the addition. I finished the electrical, insulation and flooring. Hiring out the drywall and the exterior painting. I'll do some finish trim work, paint the inside and then it is done!

post #400 of 452 Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Desertdome came back from a KC trip a few weeks ago and brought me a present - two passive JTR Caps and another Behrenger amp to power them.

They've been sitting in a corner while I've been waiting for a break to have time to play around with them. There is also the matter of having to take down the screen, move the Danley out of the way and then put these in place and re-hang the screen. All of this can't be done with one person.

Last night I had some help and we set aside time for listening tests. The test scene we used was the weapons team bunker assault from Hacksaw Ridge. The first thing we did was set volume to -18 and watch it once through with the Danley in place.

We then swapped out the Danley for one of the Caps and watched it through again. I should note that when DD dropped these off a few weeks ago, he told me that one of them had the polarity reversed and I would need to unscrew the back plate, switch it around and re-mount it. At the time he pointed to the one with the issue, but since then these have been moved around and I had no idea which it was.

After watching the scene about halfway through on the first Cap, we paused and did a quick swap of the polarity on the speaker wires to see if this was the one that was wired wrong. After the swap the bass dropped off so we knew to swap that one back.

Next we stacked the second Cap on top of the first and hooked it up as well.

post #401 of 452 Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I should note that when DD dropped these off a few weeks ago, he told me that one of them had the polarity reversed and I would need to unscrew the back plate, switch it around and re-mount it. At the time he pointed to the one with the issue, but since then these have been moved around and I had no idea which it was.
When you look at the back of both of the subs, the right binding post is positive and the left is negative. The right binding post should also be red and the left black. On one sub, the binding post is reversed and black is on the right and is positive and red is on the left and is negative. You can't just reverse the binding post. You also need to reverse the wiring. Alternatively, you can just connect your positive speaker cable to black and the negative cable to red.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #402 of 452 Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
When you look at the back of both of the subs, the right binding post is positive and the left is negative. The right binding post should also be red and the left black. On one sub, the binding post is reversed and black is on the right and is positive and red is on the left and is negative. You can't just reverse the binding post. You also need to reverse the wiring. Alternatively, you can just connect your positive speaker cable to black and the negative cable to red.

That is what I thought you meant, but then I wasn't sure which was correct and which was wrong. I wound up taking off both sets of plates and checking the wires running to them. In both cases, the black internal wire was going to the black post and the red internal wire was going to the red post. Now that doesn't necessarily mean they are right, it is possible that Jeff wired the black and red incorrectly at the back of the driver, but that seems doubtful and I have no way to check that short of taking out the drivers.

What we did last night was wire up the first one normally, play it and listen to the level. Then swap polarity and listen again. The level audibly dropped off so we swapped it back to "normal".

Then we added in the second speaker, we assumed this was the wrongly wired one, so right at the start we set the red wire going to black and the black to the red post. We then watched some of the movie and again paid attention to the level of bass, we then paused the movie, swapped the wires around, and listened again. This time there was a noticeable INCREASE in bass, so we left it alone. That seems to mean that both of them are wired up correctly internally, but one of them simply has the entire plate flipped in a 180. If that explanation makes no sense, I'll show you next time you are over.

Now that you have me thinking about it, and it has been years since we wired up that Danley, it could be that one of the Danley sets of wires is reversed at the back of the amp. Those internal drivers are in a push/pull configuration right? I can't remember if I swapped polarity at the amp side or at the Speakon side.

Last edited by nebrunner; 04-26-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #403 of 452 Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Nice build thread @nebrunner . It really came together well for you.

I had a few questions; first one is on the HVAC, did you tie into existing system or part in a second system just for the basement? I have been going back and forth on whether to just tie into my existing system which is big enough or have a second system installed or a mini split. I worry about in the winter time if you get to many bodies in the room and the main house is set on heat there will be no way to cool the room except to leave a door opened. Your thoughts? I am planing on finishing my whole basement with a full bath and the theater at some point I hope to start after the first of the year.

I have a makeshift theater for now and am using my 20+ year old Klipsch speakers that still sound good to me, but am interested in the 1099's you built. How do the sound to what you had before? Do they take a lot of wattage to sound good or are they like the Klipsch in a little goes a long way?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #404 of 452 Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The basement and the main floor of the house are both on the same HVAC. There is a zone for each. I keep the fan going 24/7 in the basement but it never needs heat.

I think it is critical that you at least have zones if your theater doesn't have its own dedicated system. I can guarantee you that this weekend when I have a bunch of guys over to watch a movie in the basment, I will be blasting the AC on that zone, while the heat will be going on the main floor zone.

That means the damper is kicking in an the system is alternating between levels, but at least my wife on the main floor isn't sitting through air conditioning upstairs, that would not go over very well.

Proper ventilation and air flow is critical if you are doing an enclosed room, I have seen too many great looking rooms that don't get used because they get hot and stuffy as soon as the door is shut.

1099's sound great, I am running mine with an older Onkyo receiver but it was the high end model for its year so it puts out quite a bit of power. You can get better speakers than the 1099 but that is going to cost you!
Ladeback likes this.

post #405 of 452 Old 05-02-2018, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #406 of 452 Old 05-04-2018, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Right now I'm using standard 7.1 and the layout has never been ideal for the two side surrounds. The main listening position is the front row and as you can see in this diagram, the sides are behind the main listening position:

post #407 of 452 Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My side surrounds for my ghetto 5.1 are behind my front row that is the MAP and I don't mind it at all. You would have to do a lot of work to move those columns wouldn't you?.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #408 of 452 Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't move the columns, there is the front set already there as shown in the diagram. Although the front columns are slightly in front of the main listening position, which also isn't ideal.

post #409 of 452 Old 05-13-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Monoprice speaker wire came in yesterday. I'm going to do what I should have done from the start and run extra wire just in case. I'll add the two front height channels behind the screen, two sets of extra wire to each of the currently empty front columns, one set of extra wire to the back columns for rear heights.

post #410 of 452 Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Do you find the lighter colored fabric panels a distraction when watching movies? I'm considering using a different color on mine (gold instead of dark red) but I am conflicted on how much they will effect the video performance or if they will be a distraction.
post #411 of 452 Old 05-14-2018, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Do you find the lighter colored fabric panels a distraction when watching movies? I'm considering using a different color on mine (gold instead of dark red) but I am conflicted on how much they will effect the video performance or if they will be a distraction.

I had the exact same concern. I decided to make the first panel on each side using the black GOM instead of the lighter, as seen in this photo. I think it worked out well.

post #412 of 452 Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I had the exact same concern. I decided to make the first panel on each side using the black GOM instead of the lighter, as seen in this photo. I think it worked out well.

Cool! The 50" in front of my screen will also be blacked out with velvet!
post #413 of 452 Old 05-26-2018, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Atmos receiver came today. It has a lot of functionality that didn't exist when my Onkyo 976 was made but it is missing two key things. There is no direct input for IR that I can see. It probably has an IR window that I can hit with a little emitter but the Onkyo was better in that regard - it had a direct input port on the back. It may be that the Denon app can be used to power on and off the receiver, if so I may be able to get by without IR on this one at all.

The bigger thing it is missing and the one I'm not sure how I can get around, is a switched AC output on the back. The Onkyo and just about every other high end receiver has one. No idea when or why they stopped building those in, or if I got unlucky and it is only this particular Denon that is missing one. I need that to activate my Fuhrman power ports to switch on the sub amps.

self edit - it DOES have an IR out jack, I didn't see it on first glance. It does not have a slave AC out but it does have some sort of 12v trigger mini jack. Maybe I can hotwire that into my Fuhrmans without burning my house down.

Last edited by nebrunner; 05-26-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #414 of 452 Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I started running the upgrade cables last night. When I built the room I left a length of conduit behind a trapdoor just in case I ever needed to upgrade. Took off the trapdoor and it is still there and ready to go:

I am adding cables for 6 additional channels, I had to bundle them all together in order to get it to fit:

Took a few tries to get it done. My fault for not starting with a sturdier guideline, but we did eventually get it through:

post #415 of 452 Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The side surrounds have now been moved forward to the frontmost columns and that has been a positive change.

The front atmos modules are sitting on top of the L/R speakers and are set to fire up and reflect off the ceiling. The rear atmos modules are mounted in the back columns at ceiling height and firing forward and down.

The Denon comes with Audyssey XT32, an upgrade over my old Onkyo receiver. I purchased the $20 Atmos app to allow some customization and visualization of the frequency response. I ran some sweeps, which are problematic on the app as it is consistently losing connectivity with the receiver, crashing, etc. If you keep at it long enough, you do get it to complete. I did so and found issues with my sub curve:

post #416 of 452 Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I spoke to our local audio expert; @desertdome and he thought the delay on the horn subs might be causing me issues. It is possible that the Denon is only "seeing" the Growler and determining that my bass response extends down to 50hz and not to 15hz. I wound up ordering a usb microphone so I can run REW and figure out what is happening. It showed up yesterday, I'll spend some time this weekend troubleshooting things.

post #417 of 452 Old 06-09-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I re-ran Audyssey, this time completely bypassing the DCX and using only the Danley as the sole subwoofer. The Audyssey provided the "good" curve this time, basically confirming @desertdome theory that the prior sweep was only seeing the Growler.

I ran REW three times, once with the old curve and both subs going. Once with the new curve and the Danley only, and once with the new curve and the DCX feeding and EQ'ing a signal to both subs. The chart is below. The blue Danley only line looks pretty good. The purple, post calibration fully EQ'd and both sub engage line has me completely puzzled.

post #418 of 452 Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I returned the Denon and hooked everything back up to my old Onkyo 7.1. No Atmos right now but everything sounds good again. I may try out a Yamaha receiver, have never owned any Yamaha equipment with the exception of some pretty high quality Yamaha headphones I bought at a fancy audio shop in Saudi Arabia in 1990.

post #419 of 452 Old 06-16-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So you moved your side surrounds so that they are in front of you first row? I have never done that and will have to test it out. I have had them either even or behind my front row and liked them there.

On the Denon, did you also add Atmos speakers? If so did they not sound good either? At least you are saving some money. I have thought of getting a Yamaha AVR, but there aren't always deals on them like Denon or Marantz. I have had a 5.1 Marantz AVR that i liked till I wanted to up grade to HDMI switching, and that had been interesting.

@JDontee here in KC has a nice sounding 7.1 system that I wish i could have. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...e-theater.html

post #420 of 452 Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The surrounds are better in the front column now for the front row of seating, but not as good for the back row, a bit of a tradeoff but overall it is an upgrade.

I will still need to update my receiver but that Denon was just not cutting it. Going to avoid Denon/Marantz, Onkyo supposedly is not what they once were so I guess that leaves me with Yamaha.

The Atmos speakers are still mounted and wired, just not running as my old Onkyo was pre-Atmos. They will get hooked up again once I get a new receiver.

For now I need to sell my spare projector and sub so I can clear out some storage room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Theater Solutions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page