I finished my black velvet project awhile ago and did not post updates in my thread. So here is a blow by blow. It was quite a chore. But, it was worth it in the end.
Here is before
I ordered the Royalty 3 velvet from Jo Annes. I had them ship it since the local stores did not have enough. It was $11.99 after sale price.
I was paranoid about sag so I thought I would build panels. Well, after putting my first panel up I discovered that there is a small section of the very front of my room that does not have good substrate to fasten to. So I abandoned that plan in favor of stretching smaller sections and rolling with a contingency plan that I will explain.
Here is the ill fated panel. Man it looked so good all stretched. Oh well....
Here was my basic set up. I used a table and put a long wide board on top to cut on. The large drywall T square will make sure your cut is straight.
I found this Olfa roller blade worked well to cut long sections. Only cut once and make sure it is tight against the T square. You may need to cut some threads that don't go through the first time.
My trusty Porter Cable US58 fabric staple worked like a champ again. This is highly recommended because you can see exactly where each staple is going to get everything as precise your skills allow.
These were not easy to track down but I special ordered some black staples and it saved me having to paint all of them myself. Well worth it. The staples never jammed once in my US58.
Here is half way done. The difference is very large.
I decided to take my diffusors out for the time being and I just lined the insides of the vent cut outs in the ceiling. It just disappears. This pic is not done but I did an outline around the vents first.
The can lights were removed and I put up a sheet over them and felt where the edges were so I could staple around it before cutting out the fabric in the middle of the stapled outline. It worked really well. Then just replaced cans.
This is with the flash on.
I also found that any surface that gets direct reflections was in need of treatment. So my side panels were soon wrapped. Here is a comparison shot with the GOM Black AT fabric that was on them previously.
And here is where those panels reside. The side panels get a lot of reflections in that location. The panels on the front wall that are parallel with the screen are not as critical. And the other AT fabric panels that cover my speakers thankfully are also not critical. They are just to the left of the black velvet panel.
Finished product close up of ceiling. Flash on and off for detail.
Just to be super anal I discovered that I was bothered by being able to see a very small part of my black can lights above the screen. So I made some small sections and placed them just in front using tacks. I used thick tape to hold it together and make prevent any light from shining through.
Can't see the can now.
I found that my black carpet has quite a sheen to it so I decided to make velvet treatments for it as well. I bought a different brand. This time it was the Triple Velvet from Hobby Lobby. I compared it to the Royalty three that I used on my entire ceiling. To my horror the Triple had less sheen to it than the Royalty. You can see this in the pic but it is a larger difference in person.
Now after I fired up my projector my fears were quelled as my ceiling completely disappeared. It turns out the small amount of extra sheen did not make a real world difference. However, I would still go with the Triple because you never know. Maybe in your application it will make a difference. I will use the Triple for my floor and possibly a few more side panels if I get real nutty.
The effect is that the image is completely floating in space! Sorry I could not resist the "floating in space" pun!
This was a drawn out and frustrating endeavor. So painful. Some of that was my fault for being very picky and changing my mind so many times about how to do it. It was WELL WORTH it in the end. The effect is fairly dramatic. Worth every stretch and staple.
My contingency plan if I do get sagging is to wrap 1/2'' x 2'' trim pieces in fabric and place a few across the room in the middle of the stapled sections. That should do it and it will be so much easier to wrap and staple the trim pieces than doing anything on the ceiling. I recommend having 2 people. I was going solo and it was quite difficult.
So happy and now I want to turn my iris down even more!