AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   #### The ULTIMATE Bass Demo Disc #### (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1412846-ultimate-bass-demo-disc.html)

nickbuol 03-13-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

They were missing because they were never there to begin with. Even when I originally created the disc from multiAVCHD, it only created what you see in the pictures I posted. But thanks for the additional info.

No, I wasn't complaining at all. I just wanted to make sure that everyone had all of the information since some blu-ray players do a file structure check and if some of those folders (even if empty) don't exist, it won't play.

Sorry if I somehow offended you, I was just trying to add helpful information.

art West-VL. 03-13-2013 10:25 PM

This might sound silly in between the bluray discussion, but how can I put these on DVD's?
I don't have a writer for bluray and don't want to buy one because I have no bluray player either.
Thanks.

BBUGSY 03-13-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art West-VL. View Post

This might sound silly in between the bluray discussion, but how can I put these on DVD's?
I don't have a writer for bluray and don't want to buy one because I have no bluray player either.
Thanks.

The file is too big for DVD. 46.5GB

art West-VL. 03-14-2013 03:29 AM

I know bit can I split the stream files up and how do I make it work? Thanks.

superleo 03-14-2013 05:15 AM

With MultiAVCHD you could re do and re arrange the files to fit any media size.

JapanDave 03-14-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Don't know. What kind of disc are you using? I used Verbatim 50GB DL. Burn at 2x speed. When you launch ImgBurn, click "Write Files/Folders to Disc". Click Options tab.

Change Data Type to "MODE1/2048"
File System >> UDF
UDF Revision >> 2.50

The only thing that should have a checked box is "Recurse Subdirectories". Drag BDMV folder into the big white space under Source. Go back to "Information" tab. Click the calculator. Then, burn. Did this help?

I am doing something wrong here.

Do you cut the actual files and put them in the Aux folder? Or do you cut the folders and put them in the Aux folder? And I have no certificate folder? Where is that?

nickbuol 03-14-2013 07:57 AM

IMGBURN should create the Certificate folder if it is missing.

You can check the setting under (going from memory here) Tools --> Settings --> Build and then making sure that creating the Certificate folder is checked.

I know that only partially answers your question though.

art West-VL. 03-14-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

With MultiAVCHD you could re do and re arrange the files to fit any media size.
Downloading now, thanks!
I'll give it a try on a DVD RW when time permits....
I'll post back here when I did.

Louquid 03-14-2013 10:03 AM

I finished downloading this a few days ago and finally got the chance to watch it. Awesome. Thanks for this Jindrak! Now I have more material to impress people with!

Jindrak 03-14-2013 10:42 AM

You should also be aware that by putting this onto DVD removes the lossless HD audio.

@JapanDave

Cut files? You mean the guide I posted on the first page after downloading? If so, you just need to delete all the 0 byte files. Then, cut the files out of the duplicate folder in each section. Then, delete the duplicate folder. IMGburn will create the certificate folder for you.

superleo 03-14-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

You should also be aware that by putting this onto DVD removes the lossless HD audio.

Not correct...

You can actually have HD audio and video onto a DVD... not all players might be able to play it correctly but most will. It needs to be authored as an AVCHD disc, and of course you'll be restricted to 3 or 4 clips (depending on their size) per disc onto a regular DVD, but doable on all respects.

art West-VL. 03-14-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

Not correct...

You can actually have HD audio and video onto a DVD... not all players might be able to play it correctly but most will. It needs to be authored as an AVCHD disc, and of course you'll be restricted to 3 or 4 clips (depending on their size) per disc onto a regular DVD, but doable on all respects.
I don't have experience in writing DVD's but I really want to learn how to, just because you guy's made these awesome discs!!
something I should know to write lossless DVD audio besides authoring it as an AVCHD disc? I presume multi AVCHD can do all that (name gives it away I guess)
Sorry for the stupid questions, just don't know a lot about DVD's. :-s

Jindrak 03-14-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

I don't have experience in writing DVD's but I really want to learn how to, just because you guy's made these awesome discs!!

Except that the reason they were made was for Blu-Ray.

LastButNotLeast 03-14-2013 01:32 PM

No, they were made to demonstrate the awesome bass (hopefully) of a home theater. For that matter, you can play the m2ts files individually on an HTPC. The BD format is a convenience for people with a BD burner (or a friend with a BD burner).

So keep 'em coming!

Michael

jonathanc 03-14-2013 02:16 PM

For those of you using xbmc or other programs to index the disc image in their media library, I created a moviedb profile for this title to allow for easy scraping.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/177279-the-ultimate-bass-demo-disc

It needs some cover art and fan art though. Anyone want to create some cover art ?

art West-VL. 03-14-2013 10:26 PM

I regret you respond that way.
I probably will never buy a bluray player/writer, they will be surpassed pretty soon. LastButNotLeast said it: "HTPC"
I just can't justify the cost of bluray players, writers and discs.

For me, I'm just starting of as a HT- hobbyist. I have my large TV for just a week now. Built a subwoofer a few months ago. (I started a thread here once, no response at AVS, but it's posted on two other forums)
I have a speaker measurement setup. So a lot of DIY for me and a lot of satisfaction building stuff.smile.gif
So these discs are really welcome for me to explore all the features that a HT should have.

JapanDave 03-14-2013 11:37 PM

Alright, I have wasted 3 bluray disks now trying to get this to work.

Can someone walk me through it.... Like I am a 5 year old.

scubasteve2365 03-15-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Alright, I have wasted 3 bluray disks now trying to get this to work.

Dave, the problem might be that the disc, as downloaded, somehow has the file/folder structure goofed up. I'm guessing the torrent creation caused the problem. Anyway, my advice would be to:

A) Get some software that will let you play the disc back on your PC. Until it works on your PC, it's not going to work when you burn it to disc. This will let you test it before you burn
B) Get a RW (rewrittable) disc.

Once you have the disc file/format fixed (See Jindrak's post) it should very easy to burn with IMGBurn. As simple as just dragging the BDMV folder into the input window of ImgBurn. ImgBurn will recognize that it's BDMV and change all of the requisite settings for you.

scubasteve2365 03-15-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

I regret you respond that way.
I probably will never buy a bluray player/writer, they will be surpassed pretty soon. LastButNotLeast said it: "HTPC"
I just can't justify the cost of bluray players, writers and discs.

For me, I'm just starting of as a HT- hobbyist. I have my large TV for just a week now. Built a subwoofer a few months ago. (I started a thread here once, no response at AVS, but it's posted on two other forums)
I have a speaker measurement setup. So a lot of DIY for me and a lot of satisfaction building stuff.smile.gif
So these discs are really welcome for me to explore all the features that a HT should have.

Then I recommend something like a Popcorn Hour/Dune. No need for an HTPC if you're primary purpose is to playback files. Both of those media streamers will do that core functionality much better than an HTPC with easy control integration.

neutro 03-15-2013 11:13 AM

Some media players such as the Popcorn Hour and the WDTV Live are *very* good at playing almost anything you throw at it. XBMC is the same, except that you can scratch "almost" biggrin.gif Seriously, my WDTV Live has problems with some m2ts (not all). XBMC (and VLC for that matter) plays everything fine. The point is a bit moot since we're going to be inundated very soon by cheap Android set-top boxes. XBMC for Android is already out, but native playback is not yet available for every device. I for one will buy the first Android box under $100 that has native XBMC support. In the mean time, I just plug my laptop on my receiver if I want to use XBMC.

On another note... just tested the Pulse server room scene (never saw it before). O... M... G... I already love that demo disc biggrin.gif

LastButNotLeast 03-15-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

On another note... just tested the Pulse server room scene (never saw it before). O... M... G... I already love that demo disc biggrin.gif

Apparently, that's the only part worth watching:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pulse/

Brucemck2 03-15-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

I second this request. I very, very, carefully followed Jindrak's (new) instructions in post #1 and #200 and Nickbuol's in post #197 and the freshly burned disk won't play on an Oppo 93

The title screen comes up with an Avatar destruction of the hometree scene front and center, but there's no navigation or play functionality.

neutro 03-15-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Apparently, that's the only part worth watching:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pulse/

Actually this is the case of a majority of movies with good LFE tracks in my opinion. This is why I'm really grateful for this compilation: I won't have to suffer through the whole movie to experience one minute of outstanding bass.

Brucemck2 03-16-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

I second this request. I very, very, carefully followed Jindrak's (new) instructions in post #1 and Nickbuol's in post #197 and the freshly burned disk won't play on an Oppo 93

The title screen comes up with an Avatar destruction of the hometree scene front and center, but there's no navigation or play functionality.

In the folders/files I am dragging into ImgBurn my top level is not AVCHD and there is no HDAVCTN or Certificate or any of the other folders. My top level is BDMV (with contents identical to the pics in Jindrak's first post)

Is this the cause of my failed attempt? How do I create the various files/folders inside the AVCHD folder, as they were not part of the torrent?

(On the burned disk itself there is a Certificate folder that ImgBurn created. It contains a single folder, Backup, which is empty. The other folder on the disk is the BDMV folder with the exact structure as the BDMV folder in Jindrak's first post.)

art West-VL. 03-16-2013 08:28 AM

Again a big thanks to Jindrak!

Eventually I used 4Media DVD Creator to write the DVD's.
This worked great and the sub got a good workout ... so did I!...eek.gif
Only 15 clips fit on a DVD. (highest quality settings)
It took my laptop over two hours for one DVD.
The software doesn't recognise all the clips and some converted without sound... but most clips worked great.

Thanks!!

nickbuol 03-16-2013 03:37 PM

I finally got around to burning this to disc (using the 50GB Digistor brand discs linked a little bit back) and it worked like a charm.

It was so fun to see and hear these clips in my home theater instead of via my computer speakers.

Thanks again for putting this together.

dondino 03-16-2013 06:47 PM

Another thought for those of us having trouble ... someone who's good at this could make an iso of a fully functional demo disk and seed it somewhere? I know that might be a lot to ask but just tossing it out there. smile.gif

Brucemck2 03-16-2013 06:56 PM

If we can get the "five year old instructions" then I suspect it will burn just fine. The ultimate blu ray disc seed and instructions on another AVS thread worked fine, and I suspect we're close.

Jindrak 03-16-2013 08:36 PM

I would make a different package so that there wouldn't be this sort of problem, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience the current people who are downloading and close to completion. But if enough people want/need it, I could see what I can do. I would hope my instructions on the 1st page would be enough, but they seemingly aren't. I'm currently trying to figure the in's and out's of Scenarist, so hopefully a much better working version can come out soon.

Brucemck2 03-17-2013 04:52 AM

Jindrak, the clips are a great collection of scenes and a welcome addition to this forum.

I'd download again if that was the easiest way to get a working version.

I followed the instructions in post #1 very carefully, along with the post on the proper ImgBurn settings.

Maybe a youtube video with shots of key settings or screens for both the cleaned up files and for ImgBurn (after confirming it works on a non-HTPC player)?

I compared the other AVS forum disk which works on my Oppo to the one I burned using the instructions in this thread. Here are the key differences in the file structures:

1.) There are differences in the two disks CERTIFICATE folders.

1.a) Your disk has a single empty folder, "BACKUP", inside the CERTIFICATE folder.
1.b) The working disk has "id.bdmv" inside the BACKUP folder (that is inside the CERTIFICATE folder) and also has "id.bdmv" inside its "CERTIFICATE" folder.
..... So, maybe the errors are in the ImgBurn instructions?

2.) There are also differences in the two disks BDMV folders:

2.1.a) In your disk there are two files inside the AUXDATA folder: "multiAVCHD" and "sound.bdmv"
2.1.b) In the working disk the AUXDATA folder is empty

2.2.) In the META folders:
2.2.a) Yours has an ES folder.
2.2.b) The working disk does not have an ES folder

Otherwise the two disks have identical structures.

BobBart 03-17-2013 04:57 PM

Anyone using media portal to play this? I made an iso using image burn and the menu will not work. I can pick individual clips but that is it.

dondino 03-17-2013 08:27 PM

I've followed the directions from the OP and am trying to burn this ... I am using a BD-RE DL in case it bombs out but am showing the disk is about 176 mb short on space. Is there some additional overhead on a BD-RE DL that I don't know about? Unfortunately, I don't have any write-once discs to compare to...

I verified the files are correct. I'm an IT Pro for almost 25 years so I know a little about this stuff ... wink.gif

Does imgburn have an overburn feature?

This dang disc cost me $20! lol

Jindrak 03-17-2013 09:55 PM

Might be the disc you have. I've burned on both regular and RE BD's and they burn just fine.

dondino 03-17-2013 10:05 PM

Could it have something to do with the files that were added/removed? I'm short 178mb according to ImgBurn and verified everything. I'm showing 46.5 GB (49,951,342,651 bytes) as the size of the BDMV folder. 1402 files/14 folders

JapanDave 03-17-2013 11:46 PM

Can someone in the know please give a detailed explanation on how to do this.

Pretty please, with sugar on top...

BobBart 03-18-2013 03:25 AM

Got it working on media portal, seems I forgot to transfer a few files. Nice work. Only had chance to watch a few but it looks and sounds great!

LastButNotLeast 03-18-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

I've followed the directions from the OP and am trying to burn this ... I am using a BD-RE DL in case it bombs out but am showing the disk is about 176 mb short on space. Is there some additional overhead on a BD-RE DL that I don't know about? Unfortunately, I don't have any write-once discs to compare to...

I verified the files are correct. I'm an IT Pro for almost 25 years so I know a little about this stuff ... wink.gif

Does imgburn have an overburn feature?

This dang disc cost me $20! lol

You probably need to reformat the disc. The long way. Yes, hours, but that should get you the space you need.

Brucemck2 03-18-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post

Could it have something to do with the files that were added/removed? I'm short 178mb according to ImgBurn and verified everything. I'm showing 46.5 GB (49,951,342,651 bytes) as the size of the BDMV folder. 1402 files/14 folders

Mine shows exactly the same prior to ImgBurn. The burned disk would take more, as there also has to be room for the Certificate folder

When I create an ISO image file to my hard drive the ImgBurn calculator says:

Total File Size: 49,951,342,651 bytes and 24,391,331 total file sectors
Total Image Size: 49,960,386,560 bytes and 24,394,720 image sectors

I am using a Verbatim BD -R DL disk. In the properties on my (failed to work) disk it shows only 49,960,321,024 as capacity. Appears there are too many video files, to the tune of 65,536 bytes, to work properly on a normal BD -R DL disk?

art West-VL. 03-18-2013 10:16 AM

Can't you just erase the one scene you like the least and burn that?

Brucemck2 03-18-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Can't you just erase the one scene you like the least and burn that?

I don't know.

Are there "hard sequences coded" or similar in the indexing that would cause it to hang when it gets to the missing scene? Disks are around $10 apiece, so I'd like to get the second one exactly right

neutro 03-18-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Might be the disc you have. I've burned on both regular and RE BD's and they burn just fine.

Indeed. It could be some blank BD-R/REs have a bit more space (overburn capacity) than others. Also it might be differences between players.

Brucemck2 03-18-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I finally got around to burning this to disc (using the 50GB Digistor brand discs linked a little bit back) and it worked like a charm.

It was so fun to see and hear these clips in my home theater instead of via my computer speakers.

Thanks again for putting this together.

Nickbuol,

Any chance you can try your disk in another brand of player (or two)? ...

Also, what was the size of the original files you burned (did your file and byte count match what Dondino and I reported in Post #238) and the size on the disk after burning (does that match what I reported in Post #238 too)?

I'm trying to figure out if this is an Oppo/player issue, or a blank media issue, or, whether Dondino and I happened to make exactly the same error in converting the torrent files.

Brucemck2 03-18-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Jindrak,

Any chance you can try your disk in another brand of player (or two)? ...

Also, what was the size of the original files you burned (did your file and byte count match what Dondino and I reported in Post #238) and the size on the disk after burning (does that match what I reported in Post #238 too)?

I'm trying to figure out if this is an Oppo/player issue, or a blank media issue, or, whether Dondino and I happened to make exactly the same error in converting the torrent files.

grhopper 03-18-2013 04:24 PM

I've downloaded everything, moved the files, and created an iso file. I was able to play the iso with xbmc, but no sound came out. Any idea what to check first?

neutro 03-18-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

I've downloaded everything, moved the files, and created an iso file. I was able to play the iso with xbmc, but no sound came out. Any idea what to check first?

Sound settings wink.gif Seriously, how do you listen to the image? Are you trying to bitstream to your AVR?

grhopper 03-18-2013 05:09 PM

i've never used xbmc before, just downloaded it for this b/c I don't have a blu-ray burner. I can hear sound playing youtube just fine. I plugged in an hdmi cable connected to my tv and the sound is going through my tv to my hdmi cable. I do not know if my problem is with the iso file or the way I have the settings on xbmc. the good news is that my 13 month old daughter is dancing to Sail by awolnation.

dondino 03-18-2013 06:40 PM

I did a full format of my BD-RE DL and it still shows short on space. Trying the burn anyway but I doubt it'll work. If it doesn't I'll author my own disk and trim a scene or two off so it'll fit. Again, OP, I hope our frustration isn't being misconstrued as ungratefulness. I'm sincerely grateful you went through all this trouble for the community. Kudos.

grhopper 03-18-2013 06:56 PM

Figured out my problem, but not how to fix it. If I don't have a hdmi cable plugged into my laptop, then xbmc plays the sounds when the audio is set to analog. When I plug in the hdmi cable, the sound still comes out of my laptop speakers, not through the hdmi cable into the avr. When I switch the audio option in xbmc to hdmi, I don't hear any sound coming out of anywhere. Any clue what's wrong?

dondino 03-18-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Figured out my problem, but not how to fix it. If I don't have a hdmi cable plugged into my laptop, then xbmc plays the sounds when the audio is set to analog. When I plug in the hdmi cable, the sound still comes out of my laptop speakers, not through the hdmi cable into the avr. When I switch the audio option in xbmc to hdmi, I don't hear any sound coming out of anywhere. Any clue what's wrong?

Check the sound icon in your control panel ... might be somewhere in there to tell it to route sound through your HDMI. Which laptop chipset? If it's AMD, there's a driver (I believe) you can download to output your sound through HDMI. YMMV.

grhopper 03-18-2013 07:07 PM

Intel Core i5 running Windows 8. When watching youtube videos on google chrome browser the sound automatically switches to hdmi sound when the cable is plugged in.

redsandvb 03-18-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

I second this request. I very, very, carefully followed Jindrak's (new) instructions in post #1 and #200 and Nickbuol's in post #197 and the freshly burned disk won't play on an Oppo 93

Brucemck2,

Do you have a USB hard drive available? You could put the BDMV folder on it and connect it to your Oppo and play it, and save blank discs while you're at it. I finished the d/l moved and deleted the folders around as directed in the first post of this thread (I did not find any 0-byte files, though...wierd), put it on a 2TB WD Passport and played it on my BDP-93.

After the player fully boots, press the Home button, select Movie, select your hard drive, select the BDMV folder, I think it then showed me an AVCHD folder...select it. The menu came up, I only tested a short clip (MI:4 Kremlin explosion) but it worked. After the clip finished it went on to the next clip, though. Had to press Top Menu to get back to the menu.

Hope this helps!

Edit: BTW, is the firmware up-to-date on your Oppo?

Also, Thanks to Jindrak for making this!

dondino 03-18-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Intel Core i5 running Windows 8. When watching youtube videos on google chrome browser the sound automatically switches to hdmi sound when the cable is plugged in.

Ah I see. Then it appears to be an configuration issue with that playback software you were using. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with it ... check this out: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58258

Jindrak 03-18-2013 10:23 PM

No, you cannot erase any scenes, as that would make the whole disk unplayable. The way the disc and menu are formatted makes it so that everything must be together. Removing 1 thing, anything, will kill the disc. The imgburn settings you have shown, I have gotten the same thing. But I can successfully burn, even with the disc capacity being that close.

Brucemck2 03-19-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

No, you cannot erase any scenes, as that would make the whole disk unplayable. The way the disc and menu are formatted makes it so that everything must be together. Removing 1 thing, anything, will kill the disc. The imgburn settings you have shown, I have gotten the same thing. But I can successfully burn, even with the disc capacity being that close.

Mine appeared to complete a successful burn but does not play: ImgBurn finished the job and didn't report an error or ask for another disk to be inserted.

Will yours play in other players (ideally testing in an Oppo)?

Brucemck2 03-19-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

Edit: BTW, is the firmware up-to-date on your Oppo?

Also, Thanks to Jindrak for making this!

Ditto on the thanks to Jindrak. Yes, my firmware is up to date.

Can anyone who burned one successfully try it in an Oppo player?

neutro 03-19-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the delay grhopper. I'm not familiar with Win8 but I'll assume it's close to Win7 where audio is concerned. There are many ways to get audio out of XBMC. I assume you're using the latest release of XBMC (i.e. v12 "Frodo")? That version is able to output audio either through Window's mixer, or to take control of the HDMI output and send bitstream (i.e. non-decoded) audio to your receiver. This is probably what you want unless you're listening on a computer speaker setup.

The first step is to ensure that the HDMI Audio output is detected and enabled in Windows. Once your HDMI cable is connected to your laptop, go in the Sound control panel (assuming it's still called the same in Win8). There in the Playback tab, you'll see the various devices that can output audio. You should see something like "ATI HDMI output" for example if your laptop has an AMD/ATI graphic card. If you don't see it, right-click in the panel and check "Show disabled devices" and if needed, enable the HDMI output. Once it's enabled, right-click on it, and set it as your default device (note: you may have to select the speakers as the default device when you unplug the HDMI cable -- else your volume buttons won't affect the speakers!). Select the HDMI output and click configure; follow the wizard and set your audio channels according to your receiver's capabilities. E.g. if you have a 7.1 receiver but only 5.1 speakers, I suggest you select the 7.1 setup there. 7.1 sound will then be streamed to your receiver and the receiver will downmix it to 5.1. Click test to ensure everything is right. When you're out of the wizard, right-click on the HDMI output device and click "Properties". In the Advanced tab, ensure that the box where it says applications can take exclusive control of the device is checked.

Once the HDMI output is enabled, configured and tested, go in XBMC -> System -> Settings and choose the Audio Output settings. There select HDMI output and select the formats your receiver can decode. Those will go in pass-through mode to the HDMI output. For the Audio Output at the bottom of the screen, select the HDMI DirectSound output: the non-passthrough formats will use that, i.e. Windows DirectSound will mix in sound from system notifications and other apps. For The Passthrough Output, select the HDMI WASAPI output: WASAPI exclusive mode will bypass Windows DirectSound and send bitstream output directly to your receiver. *Feww* You should be all set like this.

Note that setting the sound to "Analog" instead of "HDMI" will simply send the stream to Windows DirectSound to be decoded, and you may get acceptable playback this way too. But I found bitstreaming directly to the receiver to be preferable.

Good luck!

jonathanc 03-19-2013 04:50 PM

I think he mentioned he's running HDMI to the TV. If that's the case, it likely wont decode DD-HD or DTS-HD. TV's are software coded to not pass through DTS or anything more than stereo usually.

He needs to plug the hdmi cord directly into a HD audio capable device, or tell xbmc that the audio device is only capable of playing whatever it can play (2.0 dolby digital) and let xbmc downsample it accordingly.

redsandvb 03-19-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

I did not burn one, but it does play off a USB HDD with my Oppo BDP-93. It treats it like a disc, as far as I know.

neutro 03-19-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

I think he mentioned he's running HDMI to the TV. If that's the case, it likely wont decode DD-HD or DTS-HD. TV's are software coded to not pass through DTS or anything more than stereo usually.

He needs to plug the hdmi cord directly into a HD audio capable device, or tell xbmc that the audio device is only capable of playing whatever it can play (2.0 dolby digital) and let xbmc downsample it accordingly.

In that case he should simply use the "analog" audio output type and let Windows decode and downmix. The TV may be able to decode Dolby digital 5.1 but I don't think any of the scenes use that. Not sure if TVs support decoded multichannel audio in LPCM; if not the LFE channel will be downmixed as well. Certainly not the optimal way to listen to the Ultimate Bass Demo Disc...

EDIT: unless he has a TV and AVR with Audio Return Channel, in which case it might be possible to still bitstream to the receiver through the TV?

JapanDave 03-19-2013 11:27 PM

4 disks down the drain. I have 6 left in this pack.

Brucemck2 03-20-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

4 disks down the drain. I have 6 left in this pack.

Do your file and byte counts of the raw (unburned) material match what I got in Post #238? Does your post burn not working disk also match what I got in Post #238?

What brand of disk, burner hardware, and player are you using. (In my case, Verbatim, LG, and Oppo)

I'm trying to sort out if those of us not succeeding are having disk/burner incompatibility issues, or, player issues, or both.

grhopper 03-20-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

In that case he should simply use the "analog" audio output type and let Windows decode and downmix. The TV may be able to decode Dolby digital 5.1 but I don't think any of the scenes use that. Not sure if TVs support decoded multichannel audio in LPCM; if not the LFE channel will be downmixed as well. Certainly not the optimal way to listen to the Ultimate Bass Demo Disc...

EDIT: unless he has a TV and AVR with Audio Return Channel, in which case it might be possible to still bitstream to the receiver through the TV?

I do have a TV and AVR with the ARC setup. I got it to work after trying a few different setting and unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable. Only got to play with a for a little while until the wife got home. Enjoyed what I was able to watch.

BBUGSY 03-21-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

I got one burned successfully with Jindrak guide. The disk can play well on a Oppo 105.

Brucemck2 03-21-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUGSY View Post

I got one burned successfully with Jindrak guide. The disk can play well on a Oppo 105.

What brand of disk and burner?

What is the size of the file (folders and bytes) before burning and then on the burned disk itself?

This will help me debug my issues.

BBUGSY 03-21-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

What brand of disk and burner?

What is the size of the file (folders and bytes) before burning and then on the burned disk itself?

This will help me debug my issues.

Pioneer BDR-207EBK, the writer I got it from Taiwan. The model is different. US side should be 2207.

Verbatim BD-R DL 50GB 4X, got it from ebay Japan.

I used ImgBurn to burn.

File System Information:

Sectors: 24,394,720
Size: 49,960,386,560 bytes

Hope that helps.

Brucemck2 03-21-2013 07:18 AM

BBUGSY .... what are you showing for the raw BDMV folder prior to burning it? Does it show 49,951,342,651 bytes as the size of the BDMV folder, with 1402 files/14 folders?

I strongly suspect that those of us having problems have disks/burners that won't write the full file size properly, and, that ImgBurn isn't giving an error message about that

BBUGSY 03-21-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

BBUGSY .... what are you showing for the raw BDMV folder prior to burning it? Does it show 49,951,342,651 bytes as the size of the BDMV folder, with 1402 files/14 folders?

I strongly suspect that those of us having problems have disks/burners that won't write the full file size properly, and, that ImgBurn isn't giving an error message about that

I got that from Imgburn screen, sorry showed the wrong details.

From my BD drive, the disc properties shows

The BDMV folder contain 1402 files/ 14 folders.

Beside it is the Certificate folder.

Size: 49,951,342,651 bytes.

I used nickbuol's guide at post #197, Jindrak's at #200.

Brucemck2 03-21-2013 07:43 AM

Thanks!

Given that I have exactly the same starting point prior to burning, but different after burning, it's almost certainly an issue with my LG burner and/or Verbatim disks. I'm going to try a different brand of disk, and if that doesn't work, a different burner.

BBUGSY 03-21-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Given that I have exactly the same starting point prior to burning, but different after burning, it's almost certainly an issue with my LG burner and/or Verbatim disks. I'm going to try a different brand of disk, and if that doesn't work, a different burner.

DVD Rom ? Had one in my desktop, I was goggling high and low on the burning part.

Then decided to get the Blu ray burner from Ebay to rest my worries.

Why not ask the guys who burn successfully send a copy to you, at least can save on the disks. Damn they are expensive.

Brucemck2 03-21-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Why not ask the guys who burn successfully send a copy to you, at least can save on the disks. Damn they are expensive.

I'm hoping for a series of three or four blockbuster hits, so rather than rely upon the goodwill of others I will crack the code.

That being said, the next disk should have a clip or two cut out so that even LG burners and Verbatim disks have enough capacity smile.gif

nickbuol 03-21-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

I know "someone" who offered another person here (think The Dark Side) to burn a copy for them, but hasn't heard back yet.

Maybe that person would be kind enough should someone need it.

In my opinion, having a good disc to not only use for viewing/listening, but also to look at the file structure, could be helpful to see where things went wrong.

However, there is something rewarding to figuring it out yourself.

Jindrak 03-21-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping for a series of three or four blockbuster hits, so rather than rely upon the goodwill of others I will crack the code.

That being said, the next disk should have a clip or two cut out so that even LG burners and Verbatim disks have enough capacity smile.gif

There is nothing wrong with the Verbatim discs. I have burned multiples of them. It is most likely a burner issue and/or software issue. The burner I use is the ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G, as seen here http://www.amazon.com/External-Blu-Ray-Burner-BW-12D1S-U-BLK/dp/B0051UY168/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363911215&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+blu+ray+burner

venkatesh_m 03-21-2013 05:22 PM

I managed to get the torrent, cleared all the 0kB files and cleared the folders as was discussed. Burned an iso using ImageBurn and loaded the iso to a HDD. Played fine on the Oppo BDP-93 (older firmware iso capable). However, the bdmv folders and the iso could not play on my Dune D1. BDMV folder would start and exit, the iso would say no playlist.

Not sure why its so. Also when playing in the Oppo, after each clip it would continue to next clip. Navigation from top menu was slow as well.

However, its an awesome collection of clips for bass freaks.

raaj 03-24-2013 11:10 AM

Many many thanks to Jindrak for compiling this disk, and going to great lengths to pay for a seedbox for the community. In light of the issues some people have been having creating a usable disk, would it be better if Jindrak, or someone with a problem-free disk, create an ISO of the disk for download? This would probably eliminate chances for many user-errors. With Jindrak's permission, would someone upload an ISO image, please? Thanks. I am downloading it currently with an ETA of 5 weeks. redface.gif

power 03-24-2013 05:18 PM

+1 for raaj.

Even though the instructions seem clear seems many are still having issues. Whether it's the content being slightly too large for the disk, not knowing what to delete, etc.

It would be so much easier if we just downloaded an ISO and preferable a compressed ISO for a smaller download. 50Gigs is alot for me to download and if I can't burn it for whatever reason i would be disappointed for sure. Even with the walkthroughs some are having issues which is making me tentative about the whole thing. I only have 60 G bandwidth per month.

scubasteve2365 03-25-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

+1 for raaj.

Even though the instructions seem clear seems many are still having issues. Whether it's the content being slightly too large for the disk, not knowing what to delete, etc.

It would be so much easier if we just downloaded an ISO and preferable a compressed ISO for a smaller download. 50Gigs is alot for me to download and if I can't burn it for whatever reason i would be disappointed for sure. Even with the walkthroughs some are having issues which is making me tentative about the whole thing. I only have 60 G bandwidth per month.

You can't compress that which is mostly compressed to begin with. After many hours of processing, a 46gig .iso might become 45.7gig. Hardly worth it.

The disc is fine, I understand many are having problems, but people had problems with my discs as well (although not to this degree) and I released an .iso. It is what it is. The recommendation to use BD-REs were given over and over.

raaj 03-25-2013 10:32 AM

After the 5 week ETA notice when I last replied, some angels came by with big fat upload pipes, and my download completed in a little more than 8 hrs. smile.gif I am returning the favor by seeding the torrent, and my connection can go as high as 500 kB/sec.

I am going through the motions of cleaning up the file structure as per instructions and will create an ISO using Imgburn. If everything works out well, I will post a Youtube walkthrough of the procedure, all they way up to creating an ISO.

I guess for the Volume 2 of this disk, Jindrak would consider uploading the ISO instead of the individual files. Is there a specific reason why it was done the other way around for this volume?

power 03-25-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

You can't compress that which is mostly compressed to begin with. After many hours of processing, a 46gig .iso might become 45.7gig. Hardly worth it.

The disc is fine, I understand many are having problems, but people had problems with my discs as well (although not to this degree) and I released an .iso. It is what it is. The recommendation to use BD-REs were given over and over.

Yes your right, obviously not worth it if only minimal compression. I am downloading the demo disk, getting decent speed, should be done in total 2 days or less. Thanks to everyone for their hard work.

+1 on the youtube tutorial.

Jindrak 03-25-2013 09:28 PM

Stay tuned folks...... I'm currently working on a Version 2 of this Demo Disc with Scenarist, which should make the menu and disc functionality much better. Whenever this does get completed, I'll upload it as an ISO. More to come soon.

neutro 03-26-2013 03:42 AM

This is very nice of you Jindrak. Now I totally hate making any request on top of that, but if you rework the menus, could you just post the new menu files for those who already downloaded the video files? Will that simply be an updated MovieObject.bdmb file or am I being a bit naive?

Jindrak 03-26-2013 04:41 PM

No, I cannot just post that, it's impossible. The menu is directly tied to the rest of the blu-ray structure. Everything is created as one.

jonathanc 03-26-2013 08:22 PM

While I liked Jindrak's efforts for creating a menu, Eventually I just moved all the video files to a directory on my NAS, and named them accordingly. I just use xbmc to browse the file names. It works well enough.

Jindrak 03-26-2013 09:20 PM

Well hopefully the next ones will be far better than the freeware program I was limited too.

neutro 03-27-2013 06:11 AM

Jindrak -- I suspect the problems reported in this thread are mainly due to the image being just a tad too large for some discs or players.

As for the problems with the menu in XBMC, it's not your fault at all: XBMC 12 only supports 1 of 3 possible menu types. Hence I may very well adopt jonathanc's solution. While a working menu would be nice it's not much of a problem in the current state.

0blar 03-27-2013 07:25 AM

Hi

Any idea for the availability of cover art and fan art ?

Jindrak 03-27-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Jindrak -- I suspect the problems reported in this thread are mainly due to the image being just a tad too large for some discs or players.

As for the problems with the menu in XBMC, it's not your fault at all: XBMC 12 only supports 1 of 3 possible menu types. Hence I may very well adopt jonathanc's solution. While a working menu would be nice it's not much of a problem in the current state.

I can also say that for the version 2, I will remove the Avatar - Destruction of Hometree scene, which will free up about 2.3 GB of space. While ripping the various clips out would work, it just seems to me that that just cheapens the amount of work that went into the compilation, kind of just reducing this to no more than a repository of audio clips. (Which, I guess it is if you get down to it, but) But I can understand as the current menu/disc is far underpar compared to the other efforts that other members have made.

McStyvie 03-28-2013 06:38 AM

Is anybody still streaming this? I am at work now, but am going to start the torrent tonight, and hope to have some good download speeds and get it over the weekend.

Jindrak, thanks in advance for your efforts!

Agreed with the removal of the Avatar tree scene, subpar compared to some of the other scenes on the discs TBH.

Cheers,

McStyvie

neutro 03-28-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

I can also say that for the version 2, I will remove the Avatar - Destruction of Hometree scene, which will free up about 2.3 GB of space.

If image size is the culprit, this should do the trick. That scene is also present on the Reference Blu-ray demo disc (bass) so for me it's a non-issue.
Quote:
While ripping the various clips out would work, it just seems to me that that just cheapens the amount of work that went into the compilation, kind of just reducing this to no more than a repository of audio clips. (Which, I guess it is if you get down to it, but) But I can understand as the current menu/disc is far underpar compared to the other efforts that other members have made.

I think you underestimate the value of building such a repository / compilation. While the menu is a nice portal to that compilation, I think your efforts regarding its selection, edition, and distribution is spectacular and what makes the project interesting for me. The blu-ray format is simply a handy way to handle / distribute / present the compilation.

This sparks an idea, which I won't do myself because I lack time / willpower / money / etc. to realize. Maybe we could build up a repository that is not limited by file size limits of the blu-ray format. That repository could be built and distributed in smaller chunks (e.g. 5-10 GB torrents), and would simply be .m2ts files (or mkv!) with appropriate names and/or accompanying metadata. This way anyone could grow the demo repository, and make blu-ray ISOs out of their favorite scenes. People with HTPCs and media players could simply browser a huge rep filled with demo scenes.

scubasteve2365 03-28-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

This sparks an idea, which I won't do myself because I lack time / willpower / money / etc. to realize. Maybe we could build up a repository that is not limited by file size limits of the blu-ray format. That repository could be built and distributed in smaller chunks (e.g. 5-10 GB torrents), and would simply be .m2ts files (or mkv!) with appropriate names and/or accompanying metadata. This way anyone could grow the demo repository, and make blu-ray ISOs out of their favorite scenes. People with HTPCs and media players could simply browser a huge rep filled with demo scenes.

The problem is that is too small a market to get great participation. The universal market for all of us is BDMV.

I don't know if you tried my disc, or leo's, but I can ensure the menu navigation with pop-up is superior to trying to navigate in a file explorer. You also gain advantages such as playlists when using an authored menu. (I.e., play all clips from LFE category)

power 03-28-2013 02:17 PM

After deleting all the 0 byte files and duplicate folders I have 1402 files and 10 folders, not 14 folders as posted earlier in the thread.

The image to be burned has 17 folders, I am assuming so it can write the JAR and BDJO folder (as seen in first screen), and certificate folders I would assume. Hopefully this is correct...Or do I have to add them manually myself before creating the image? As far as I know I did exactly as instructed, not sure why I ended up with 10 folders but I didn't create the JAR and BDJO folders since nothing was mentioned about it.

neutro 03-28-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

The problem is that is too small a market to get great participation. The universal market for all of us is BDMV.

I don't know if you tried my disc, or leo's, but I can ensure the menu navigation with pop-up is superior to trying to navigate in a file explorer. You also gain advantages such as playlists when using an authored menu. (I.e., play all clips from LFE category)

You're totally right on all points. However I expect the first issue to evolve rather rapidly. And while I totally agree that a nice menu makes the experience much more pleasant, I still consider it a "nice to have". For me, simply being able to quickly access a large number of demo scenes is the biggest appeal of Jindrak's, Superleo's and your discs. The selection, edition and distribution of those collections makes it worthwhile alone -- the menus, art, etc. are simply cherries on the metaphorical sundae for me biggrin.gif

McStyvie 03-28-2013 11:51 PM

Hi,

I am getting 17kb download rate on this, anyone care to seed it for me so it goes quicker? Would much appreciate it!

Cheers,
McStyvie

GatorPharm 03-29-2013 06:15 AM

Hello everyone! I finished download the file earlier in the week and converted the BDMV into a AVCHD file via multiAVCHD and placed it on a USB flash drive that I had. Unfortunately I do not own a BD burner so I opted to try it out this way. I have not yet played through all of the clips but I have noticed on several clips, all of the Dark Knight and some of the Dolby Demo material for example, that no sound comes out of my speakers. This is weird because when I access the PS3 display information it shows data being transferred for both audio and video, but unfortunately only the video shows up. Also to note, that on the clips that play successfully, my Denon receiver will display the audio format, e.g. DTS-MA, but for the files that are not playing successfully, it only shows either PL-II or stereo.

Everyone on this thread has been very helpful and I thank you in advance. I appreciate all of your hard work and I am very excited to put my subwoofer through this workout.

jonathanc 03-29-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

The extra work put into menus is appreciated, however, for those of us who store our libraries in central locations, it becomes redundant to use a menu system to then open up a new menu system (BluRay ISO opened within XBMC.)

It isn't just a file browser. One can set up a smartlist to make it look good, with fanart and descriptions via .nfo files. With that said, it isn't portable. Its not easy like popping out the disc and taking it to a friends house, so that he can test out his Bose setup.

GatorPharm 03-30-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorPharm View Post

Hello everyone! I finished download the file earlier in the week and converted the BDMV into a AVCHD file via multiAVCHD and placed it on a USB flash drive that I had. Unfortunately I do not own a BD burner so I opted to try it out this way. I have not yet played through all of the clips but I have noticed on several clips, all of the Dark Knight and some of the Dolby Demo material for example, that no sound comes out of my speakers. This is weird because when I access the PS3 display information it shows data being transferred for both audio and video, but unfortunately only the video shows up. Also to note, that on the clips that play successfully, my Denon receiver will display the audio format, e.g. DTS-MA, but for the files that are not playing successfully, it only shows either PL-II or stereo.

Everyone on this thread has been very helpful and I thank you in advance. I appreciate all of your hard work and I am very excited to put my subwoofer through this workout.

I seem to have solved my own problem, although still confused as to why this is happening. Currently I have two separate USB flash drives that I use to load both Superloeo's and Jindrak's demo material. I noticed last night that only the clips that use Dolby TrueHD as the audio file were ones that were not playing via my PS3 / Denon. I went into the PS3 audio output mode and changed it from "bitstream" to "Linear PCM" and all of the audio began to play masterfully. I am happy to be able to play the clips now but it still leaves me with the question as to why on both Superleo's disc as well as on Jindrak's disc does the DTS-MA play fine through the Denon but not the DolbyTrueHD?

LastButNotLeast 03-30-2013 07:01 AM

You don't say which Denon you have. Perhaps it doesn't support TrueHD, which is a relatively new format. Glad you found a work-around (though it's probably not as hi-def as it could be).

scubasteve2365 03-30-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

I seem to have solved my own problem, although still confused as to why this is happening. Currently I have two separate USB flash drives that I use to load both Superloeo's and Jindrak's demo material. I noticed last night that only the clips that use Dolby TrueHD as the audio file were ones that were not playing via my PS3 / Denon. I went into the PS3 audio output mode and changed it from "bitstream" to "Linear PCM" and all of the audio began to play masterfully. I am happy to be able to play the clips now but it still leaves me with the question as to why on both Superleo's disc as well as on Jindrak's disc does the DTS-MA play fine through the Denon but not the DolbyTrueHD?

It's likely nothing you did. DTSHD and TrueHD are handled very differently by their respective developers. TrueHD is simply a trickier best and multiAVCHD can have issues dealing with it and setting the corresponding flags.

neutro 03-30-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Depending on the PS3 version you have, it may not be able to bitstream the lossless formats. I own a "fat" PS3 and in order to listen to DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD, I must let the PS3 decode the stream and send it as LPCM to my receiver.

Also, I think Dolby TrueHD is indeed trickier to decode than DTS-MA. Even if my WDTV live simply bitstreams the audio through HDMI, it chokes on Dolby TrueHD files but plays DTS-MA ones alright. The same is true with older versions of VLC on my laptop.

GatorPharm 03-30-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

You don't say which Denon you have. Perhaps it doesn't support TrueHD, which is a relatively new format. Glad you found a work-around (though it's probably not as hi-def as it could be).

Quote:

It's likely nothing you did. DTSHD and TrueHD are handled very differently by their respective developers. TrueHD is simply a trickier best and multiAVCHD can have issues dealing with it and setting the corresponding flags.

I was with you in thinking that my Denon was the culprit, but then I got to thinking that it is a Denon 2113 and has no problems at all when watching Blu-ray Discs and decoding Dolby TrueHD. I think ScubaSteve must be right in that Dolby TrueHD is somehow more complex in their algorithm when compared to DTS-MA and when using the program multiAVCHD to build my disc, it somehow cannot place the right flags in order for my Denon to read it correctly. I don't feel like I am getting cheated at all because in my understanding of Bitstream vs. Linear PCM, there really is no difference. In bitstream, the PS3 sends the raw data to the receiver to decode while in PCM, the PS3 does the decoding and sends all of the information to the receiver. Oh well, it just gave me a little heart attack thinking that something was broken. Thanks for the replies!

McStyvie 03-31-2013 04:14 AM

Been downloading this since Thursday, and am at 2.7%...at 15k/second average, I am about to give up...could anyone please seed this so I can finish the download?

Thanks again!
McStyvie