"Georgia Theater Build" (Help me build from the ground up!) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hello AVS Family,
I have been thumbing through the forum for a good couple of months and am finally getting to the stage in my build where I need some suggestions. I am in the process of finishing a daylight basement that will end up being about 2k sq when complete. I framed in my dedicated theater room which is 18.5'Lx16w, and a 4x4 component/electric panel closet. I had originally planned to put in French doors in the back of the room which opens up to the middle of the basement, but I am thinking of switching this to a single door next to the component room on the side of the theater. I like the look of the French doors but think it will end up wasting to much space and won’t allow me to have a rise all the way against the back wall that runs the full width of the room. I will upload a simple design that i have drawn up. Here are some of my additional ideas, I am looking for any help and ideas before continuing with the construction..

Ceiling will have soffits on either side or run into a framed in stage on the screen wall. I will insulate and sheetrock the ceiling (after installing conduit and cables)

Stage will be boxed in with square columns on either side of room that will house L/R tower speakers. We are also running framing between the two columns but only 2-2.5 ft high which will house center and subs. This effect will also give me a nice recessed screen wall as well as hiding front speakers.

Riser will be pushed against back wall with a step on either side of the room. 2 rows 4 chairs each or for chairs in front and sofa on riser.

Trim trim and more trim, going for a contemparary look with dark (maybe black) trim and moulding. Carpeted, black screen inlet wall, black or brown celing. Also will be adding 2-3 pillars.

<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/24325" title="Snapshot of room layout. Scale">snapshot.jpg 218k .jpg file

<a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/24326" title="">100MEDIA_IMAG0542.jpg 38k .jpg file

<a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/24329" title="">100MEDIA_IMAG0543.jpg 40k .jpg file

<a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/24327" title="">IMAG0573.jpg 1099k .jpg file

<a class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/24328" title="">IMAG0576.jpg 454k .jpg file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	24325   Click image for larger version

Name:	100MEDIA_IMAG0542.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	24326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0573.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	24327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0576.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	24328   Click image for larger version

Name:	100MEDIA_IMAG0543.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	24329  

Last edited by atolnay00; 04-18-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
Welcome, As drawn the 5 1/2 feet of room length is not enough for reclining theater seating you need 6 1/2
Be careful framing out your screen wall for the speakers that you don't create resonating cavities
Soundproofing?
post #3 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I was planning on insulating the all walls, stage, riser and exterior door with threshhold. I was also thinking about adding acoustical panels at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

that is not soundproofing, that is just thinking you are soundproofing, If keeping the theater quiet and the bass rumble out of the bedrooms is important to you, read the articles at soundproofingcompany.com
atolnay00 likes this.
post #5 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info BIG, I will plan on isolating the walls and ceiling with clips and double 5/8 sheetrock with green glue inbetween. I will also seal the electrical boxes, switches, resessed lights, etc. I decided to go with a side door instead of the french doors in the back of the theater.
post #6 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can you similarly isolate the 4 walls?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #7 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Ted I can clip the four walls . I am most concerned with keeping sound and vibration going up through the ceiling but will isolate the four walls since I am starting from scratch.
post #8 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are still OK with a smaller, single door?

Are there one or two doors in the theater?

Ted

post #9 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I originally framed the room with French doors in the back of the theater that you are able to access from the middle of the basement. I thought this would be ascetically pleasing for the rest of the basement, but ultimately it would take away to much space from the theater room. My plans now are to frame in the door opening (1st pic) and put a single door on the right side of the room more towards the stage. This way it will be right in front of the on the left wall) component room and will allow me to run a riser the full width of the room and pushed against the back wall freeing up more space.

post #10 of 54 Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good plan on the door.

Do you have your HVAC figured out? Will you have any? Connect to main HVAC?

How about recessed lighting?

I'm not seeing the stairwell. Is that nearby?

Ted

post #11 of 54 Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Morning Ted,

Yes I am planning for HVAC and will be tying into the main unit and running returns. I will also be adding a heat pump to help my unit with the workload. I am going recessed in the entire basement and may use led for the theater. I also want to have at least four (maybe 6) bump outs with sconces in the room. Here are some pics to give you a better view of the whole basement. The basement is divided into three long sections the theater will be in the back middle section so will have rooms on either side and the back. I am working on a google skethup of the basement and will post when done.

This is from the stairs

From the back of theater looking back at the stairs (back right)

From the daylight side of the basement (right side of the theater) thi is where the entrance will be and I have already framed in the electrical/component room.

Thanks for the advice!
Adam biggrin.gif
post #12 of 54 Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Other tips for sound containment.

Plan a design that minimizes penetrations in the drywall bunker, locate switches, outlets and light fixtures inside the room using columns, (What you call bump outs) stage and riser as locations for electrical boxes. If you must install an electrical gang box or recessed lighting, plan for backer boxes or putty pads to avoid turning your room into swiss cheese. Bring all your wiring into the theater through small holes and caulk around the holes and wires.

Think about your HVAC. Plan duct work that doesn't transfer sound to the rest of the house. Plan to address the holes you cut into the room to bring the ductwork into the theater. If you can run your duct work and plenums inside soffits running longitudinally and separated from the entrance points you can reduce the sound escaping. Line the soffits with acoustically absorbent material. Plan enough HVAC, you will need to cool the theater in the winter. Be aware that air flow through the ducts and vent grills can be very noisy in a otherwise quiet theater room You need to oversize your ductwork and plenums to avoid this problem.

Frame and drywall a basic box first. Build the stage, riser, soffits and columns inside the drywall bunker

Fill the stage with sand and leave a gap between the framing and the finished walls.

Buy a 1 3/4 thick solid core door on a custom jam to accommodate your extra thick walls. Plan for perimeter door seals and an automatic door bottom. See Ted.

Other things, Use a 4x4 ft (or bigger) piece of 5/8 plywood as the first ceiling layer in the area where the projector will be hung. Put an outlet in the plywood with an old work box and back butter it with a putty pad just before you lift the plywood into place. Run a 1 1/2 to 2 inch electrical conduit from the equipment location to the projector area. Cut a hole in the plywood for the conduit.
PoopShoe, cdika17 and hagsi like this.
post #13 of 54 Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Big Great info!
I am sure all that was somewhere in the forums so I appreciate you reiterating. I will try to implement as much of you're suggestions as possible.
post #14 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Rather than making the attempt to "implement as much" as you can, why don't you stop doing any work on the project at all. Draw up your plans, incorporate what you think you need to implement in those plans and the post the plans. Those that have gone through this process before can turn out to be very helpful and guide you away from "oh damns" which waste time, effort, money and perhaps lead to a disappointing result at the end.

Dennis Erskine
post #15 of 54 Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Dennis,
I have actually halted any additional framing and will be framing out the rest of my basement first before continuing with the theater. I want to keep the costs down at this stage of the build but it seems that soundproofing is not expensive just needs good planning and implemention. I am learning how to use google sketchup and will post plans soon for review before I continue.

Thanks
post #16 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update for the thread. I am still in the process of writing up some plans for floor-plan, stage, speaker layout, riser, and columns. I will post soon to get some feedback before I continue framing the room. In the meantime I just ordered the BIC F12 after reading searching for the best budget woofer on the forum, I will probably end up using it (at first) in the theater room once completed.
post #17 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Floorplan below. I will post more specific plans for the stage, riser, and columns soon. Any thoughts?
post #18 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Looking at the riser. You will not be able to position the seats in front of columns as shown and still have enough room to recline. Plan 6 1/2 for the seating plus the depth of the columns. It also looks like a very tight squeeze between the side columns and the front row seating. Side speakers are in the wrong columns. Your little 12 inch sub will have a hard time filling this size theater. Your L/R channel speakers located so close to the side walls may require some acoustical treatments on the side and may benefit from angling into the room.
atolnay00 likes this.
post #19 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think the 1' depth colums may get in the way, I will have to play around a bit with the depth and type of speakers I want to install to get the right size. As far as the riser goes i should be able to make it 6.5 or even 7 no problem, I accounted for the recline in previous plan attemps but totally missed it with this draw up! I was originally planning on putting sconces on the columns but nixed the idea, because I really want to hide the speakers and dont want to drill into the shell. I am still framing out the rest of the basement which will include 2 large bedrooms,1 bath, large bar/family room. After those rooms are framed I will go back to the theater and finish frame, put up 1st layer of sheet, and start on the stage and riser. Thanks for the help BIG, i am glad i posted before continuing to frame, I would have made some very critical mistakes! confused.gif
post #20 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Making alot of progress with framing, we are about 75% complete with the whole basement. Once framing is complete I am going to build the riser so and after that we will be running the boxes,cans, switches etc. I am planning on putting up the drywall shell behind and sides of the riser before building but leaving the rest of the drywal alone until the rest of the electric, hvac are run and plumbing is roughed in

Plans for riser:
6'x16'
Built with 2x12
Two inner steps on either side with BIG's 8$ xmas bulb setup
4 outlets, two on top and two in front for chairs etc.

Questions:
Are the 2x12's overkill, can i get away with smaller boards stacked and save money?
Should i fill sand, insulation, or both.
What is the best way of turning it into a decent bass trap? (I know I will need to vent the sides and back)
Should i have an underlayment?

I have some good ideas but just wanted to get some more perspective on these questions.
See pics below for my inspiration for the riser.

post #21 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Not sure why you would want the riser framed and built before drywalling the rest of the room. If you are using a drywall lift you won't be able to use it in sections of the theater. It just gets in the way. Even if you are planning to selectively put some drywall on the walls before you build the riser it doesn't make a lot of sense, you are just creating extra work.
atolnay00 likes this.
post #22 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

My main reason is to run the electric into the riser when i do the rest of the basement. Once framing is complete I am running all my lines and cans (other than the cans in the theater riser. I am planning on having the sheetrock done by a pro but maybe I will do the whole shell and just wait to have it mud and taped with the rest of the basement. I suppose I am just eager to get startd on one of the theater rom projects! biggrin.gif
post #23 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
IMO, take BIg's direction. Drywall first. I also want to move so fast with mine, but then slowed down as common sense took over. There is just no benefit to doing the riser before drywall. Good luck!
post #24 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you want to prewire for the riser fine, bring your wire into the theater and take it to where it needs to go and cut. If there are multiple outlets or lights just take it to the closest of each. Coil it up and leave it sitting next to the wall. When you drywall you cut a hole in the drywall for the wire and pull it through. Caulk any remaining gaps in the hole with acoustical caulk. When you build your riser you drill holes in the framing before you bring it next to the wall, again passing the wire through the framing. At that time you can take some wire and run the connections between the first outlet and the others.

Having said all of that if the back side of the wall will be accessible, don't bother run the wires later.
atolnay00 likes this.
post #25 of 54 Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Having said all of that if the back side of the wall will be accessible. don't bother run the wires later.
For sure. You avoid the hassle of working around the wires, the worry of their being too short, and the potential problems caused by damaging the wires while building around them.
post #26 of 54 Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all, I will take BIG's advice (as always biggrin.gif), I guess I am just eager to push forward but don't want to create mistakes that can easily be avoided. We just opened up the basement with a 61/2 knockout last night, my goal was to let the daylight come all the way through the basement and open it up as much as possible. So when you come down the stairs and walk through a 6ft wide hallway the knockout will be on you're right. Can't wait to get to work on the theater but still enjoying working on the rest of the basement. The back of the theater will be accessible (left side of the pic below) Thanks again!

post #27 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

More soundproofing questions and concerns!
Next week I will be framing the playroom which will be to the left of the theater and finishing up a few more walls in the hallway. In the meantime I have been making some changes to the theater and may need some advice before moving forward. After reading Landshark1's 2.0 build I think I am i the same boat when it comes to soundproofing the room. The theater is going to be below the far end of our upstairs kitchen (hardwood floors) and is on the complete opposite side of the house from the master bedroom and the 2 kids rooms (only have one but plan on a second baby). I was planning on soundproofing the entire room but am thinking it will not be worth the expense. 95% of the time I will either be watching movies with the wife or by myself while she is at work and our son is sleeping upstairs (she is an RN works nights). What I am wondering is whether or not soundproofing is all or nothing? Would I get any benefit by adding 5/8 drywall with GG in between the joists of the ceiling and then just finishing the rest of the room as normal? I thought that it is inexpensive enough and may damper some of the footfall and sound between the upstairs and basement, would this be worth it? I don't have any concern from sound escaping into the rest of the basement but I would like to dampen the noise from/too the upstairs.
post #28 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Soundproofing is commonly referred to as an all or nothing proposition, but that's simply not true. You can cut a lot of the sound and leave the rest as an acceptable low level that escapes

Ted

post #29 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ted, Good to know that my efforts to dampen will have can have an effect. I am not decided either way but want to weight all of my options before continuing with the build.
post #30 of 54 Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
In the 2.35 forum, I saw the post with your theater layout. Saw several things wrong and was going to post, but decided to look and see if you had a thread and see if those items have been address. Big (post 18) addressed the items that really stood out as problems. If you are going to leave the mains so close to the corners of the room, then along with treatments on the side walls, I would build so that you can put a healthy amount of toe in on the speakers. I would also seriously consider going with one row, so that you do not have seating up against the back wall. Many people find that they rarely use all the seats in their theater. I would rather optimize sound and viewing for my family, than compromise so much just for the occasional use by others. Anyway, just my two cents. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page