Help With HDMI Handshake (?) Issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just received my new Marantz SR5007 to use in my home theater setup. It replaces a NAD unit I've had for many years. My main reason for getting the SR5007 was HDMI switching between my satellite box (Dish), my blue ray (Samsung), my SACD player (Denon), and my media server (a Windows 7 computer). All those connect to my 6 year old Westinghouse LVM-42w2 HDTV (with HDMI).

The audio works great, but on the various HDMI video inputs (specifically the Blue ray & Sat box), the video blinks on & off with a period of about 10 seconds. From what I've been able to find on the internet, it acts like some sort of 'handshaking" issue. If I connect the various units directly to the TV, they seem to work fine. If I do various combinations (doesn't seem consistent) of powering various units off/on, I can get the video to work (and the picture is great). If I connect my daughter's 24 inch HDTV, it works fine. It seems to be the combination of the brand new SR5007 and my old HDTV.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this issue without 10 minutes of powering down/up the various components (and the resultant cussing)? I could go back to the HDMI switcher I had with my NAD (which would not do HDMI), but that would mean at least one more remote and the loss of the very high resolution audio signals you can only get via the HDMI cable. It would also defeat the MAIN reason I finally upgraded my amp (the NAD sound was great, just no HDMI switching or ingesting).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

HDMI Issues

As it turns out, I had to replace my TV. The Westinghouse had such a primitive standard of HDMI, that it wouldn't work with the other "modern" items I had. As it turns out HDMI is a very "touchy" standard and there are just SO MANY ways things can screw up and you have no sound/video.

I hate HDMI...

Last edited by Doug47; 07-22-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Did not mean to quote
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...nnector-world/

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
The other thing I would suggest is to upgrade all HDMI cables to 2.x specification cables. 1.4b and such can cause significant issues with handshaking as far as timings and signalling.

Older equipment , as you identified, didn't follow the spec to the 'T' ,so when you start integrating newer equipment that does with older equipment that does not... highly recommended to upgrade the cables as well.

Somethings I ran into as well on my journey in AVS and audio video equipment.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II

Last edited by sirjaymz; 07-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
The other thing I would suggest is to upgrade all HDMI cables to 2.0 specification cables.
Sadly, all the cables are 2.1. When I put together my new Home Theater Wall, I made sure to get all new cables, including the patch cables. Even with that, I'm having issues.

Thanks for the suggestion, however. I could see a 1.4 cable sneak in there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page