The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1555Likes

post #2971 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish View Post
Come on guys, if you’ve kept up with this thread and his perfectionist tendency , you will know that everything is already meticulously labeled, cataloged, planned, etc etc.

He won’t be needing a circuit finder
Exactly correct. Just a bit of good-natured trolling in my own thread to make sure everyone is on their toes

All the wires are have different color jackets which indicate the wire's function without even looking at the label (with a couple of exceptions to use spare wire lengths from previous installs). And I have all the tools to terminate every type of wire plus all the equipment necessary to test continuity of the connections. I have a buddy who works in IT and can borrow the commercial quality sweep testers for all the Cat wire and signal strength measuring devices for coax. In this way I can verify structured wiring performance and catch any issues.

Part of the structured wiring setup will include what's called a 'site survey' for broadband wireless performance both inside and outside (i.e. the back yard / deck / patio area) the home.

I'm going to bring the equipment room through drywall and primer so I can move the wiring into position and out of my way while simultaneously sorting all the wires into 'like' groups by function or intended piece of equipment. From there I simply bring the bundles into the racks and route to the correct equipment. It's a huge bummer to have to sort and route through the rack at the same time. This way breaks up the task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It's a huge bummer to have to sort and route through the rack at the same time. This way breaks up the task.
My OCD soul-brother...
TMcG likes this.
post #2973 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4580 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish View Post
Come on guys, if you’ve kept up with this thread and his perfectionist tendency, you will know that everything is already meticulously labeled, cataloged, planned, etc etc.

He won’t be needing a circuit finder
Tendency? Tendency? Definition of "tendency": "an inclination toward a particular characteristic or type of behavior".

There is no "inclination" about applying 33 coats of bondo to repair a 1/64" inch nick in the edge of a corner of a sub that will be painted black siting in a dark room behind a screen such that it can not be seen. In fact, when I looked up the definition of perfectionist, Tim's picture was there.

Just sayin'
mikela, James92TSi, RUR and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Tendency? Tendency?

Quote:
I'm going to bring the equipment room through drywall and primer so I can move the wiring into position and out of my way while simultaneously sorting all the wires into 'like' groups by function or intended piece of equipment. From there I simply bring the bundles into the racks and route to the correct equipment. It's a huge bummer to have to sort and route through the rack at the same time. This way breaks up the task.
This seems more efficient than my preferred method of plugging in as I go and leaving a giant tumbleweed of wires behind the entertainment center. But I do have a foolproof method of figuring out whether things are wired correctly. When dialogue is coming out of the top right speaker something is off...
tjambro likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #2975 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 470
I've been going back through Britton's thread anytime I've had the urge to look at some whole house wiring pron. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #2976 of 3085 Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Um, you're selling the subs on HTE?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #2977 of 3085 Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 223
What, not finished yet?

"If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough"

Home Theatre Heaven in Spain - V2.0 - Build thread
post #2978 of 3085 Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recommendation : Sell all of your recently (almost) completed sub enclosures and get ready to install this. 24" drivers are apparently for wusses!!

This is a driver:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.png
Views:	274
Size:	871.8 KB
ID:	2524662  
bigbadbob, OJ Bartley and p3bham like this.
post #2979 of 3085 Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I really enjoy the meticulousness that your OCD drives you to have.
I do have a question though... and this is all in good fun...

Are we, the good natured AVS community, going to see a final product within this decade of starting the thread?
So like when when you started the thread... you had already been in construction for 'Amost 2 years'...

Through all these posts. Through all the details.. I have really enjoyed the story..

There seriously has to be a plan for all of us AVS'ers to make a huge migration to The Stonewater Cinema when the Grande Opening happens. Not sure when.. but need to migrate...

I am making plans now... for hotel.. additional activities.. the whole 9.. because .. this has going to be absolutely EPIC once we reach that moment.

I don't know where I'll be in life in general, but I can tell you.. I would like to be at THE party.

Because no matter what we do.. and all the flaws that we have had to deal within our own builds.. , my hat is off to you my good sir, because my drive towards this long of a build, I would have given up by now

I WILL continue to watch your show
TMcG likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.02
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #2980 of 3085 Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Are we, the good natured AVS community, going to see a final product within this decade of starting the thread?
So like when when you started the thread... you had already been in construction for 'Amost 2 years'...
It's been mentioned before, but I was with a company which was constantly reorganizing. Constantly. The first two reorgs I knew I (and many others) still had a role...the last 3 or so years it was completely up to the whims of the management team whether there were going to be strategic shifts in the business unit, divestiture or merely a required relocation. This explains much of the huge gap in the timeline in the 6 years this thread has been active. I didn't want to invest a penny into a theater when there was the risk of job loss or a move. I finally had enough and found a great position which I hold until this day.

Once I knew I was going to stay, that's when I made the decision to upgrade the construction to a soundproof fortress commensurate with the equipment I had been collecting along the way. I'm still indebted to @24Changer for his help removing the limited amount on construction I had done up until that point. Once I had a clean slate, rebuilding to what you see today has been an enjoyable side project.

Add in two brand new kids, a heavy work travel schedule, the normal honey-do list and 'life' in-general and you can see my time is extremely limited and I end up working on this project at very odd hours which doesn't disrupt family time. Given all of these time constraints, I actually think I'm making fairly decent progress.

Quote:
Through all these posts. Through all the details.. I have really enjoyed the story..
Thanks! Someday I will create an index and embed all the photos previously uploaded to Photobucket to make things even easier since the construction and certain design detail discussions have not been linear to physical progress.

Quote:
There seriously has to be a plan for all of us AVS'ers to make a huge migration to The Stonewater Cinema when the Grande Opening happens. Not sure when.. but need to migrate...
Because I travel, I've had the good fortune to visit dozens of fellow AVS members over the years if the timing is right. Some several times and most have become friends. Point being I don't think you're alone in wanting to make the pilgrimage when everything is complete...AND...

Quote:
I am making plans now... for hotel.. additional activities.. the whole 9.. because .. this has going to be absolutely EPIC once we reach that moment.

I don't know where I'll be in life in general, but I can tell you.. I would like to be at THE party.
...AND...this is exactly the plan. Bring your wives / significant other and make a full 3-day weekend of it with plenty of activities outside the theater as well. Come one day, come three days, come one hour, come one afternoon...it's totally up to each person. I sincerely appreciate the effort for anyone to visit - especially those who are travel significant distances. I'll hope to have the back yard 'party zone' set up by then as well.

Quote:
Because no matter what we do.. and all the flaws that we have had to deal within our own builds.. , my hat is off to you my good sir, because my drive towards this long of a build, I would have given up by now

I WILL continue to watch your show
I appreciate the compliments and am very glad you derive some sort of entertainment from my posts. I've likewise enjoyed your build and like the new additions you're putting into your own theater! I occasionally go to Houston and nothing beats seeing a great build in-person and having the opportunity to hang out with a fellow AVS-er for a night.
chirpie, dgage and sirjaymz like this.
post #2981 of 3085 Old 02-13-2019, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
I've been going back through Britton's thread anytime I've had the urge to look at some whole house wiring pron. Been looking forward to this for a long time.
Link? Would like to check out 'the competition'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Recommendation : Sell all of your recently (almost) completed sub enclosures and get ready to install this. 24" drivers are apparently for wusses!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Um, you're selling the subs on HTE?
The two 24" subs are sold and I'm moving to a quad WOW-32 setup. New boxes will be made from MDF right from the start. Of course I now have to enlarge the two rear sub openings significantly.

Now please pick your jaw back up as this is not really happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
What, not finished yet?
We all don't have your mad progress skills!!
beastaudio likes this.
post #2982 of 3085 Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
The two 24" subs are sold and I'm moving to a quad WOW-32 setup. New boxes will be made from MDF right from the start. Of course I now have to enlarge the two rear sub openings significantly.

Now please pick your jaw back up as this is not really happening.
Don't do that to me I was so excited!!!

Quote:
...AND...this is exactly the plan.
I'm so in on this...

Roll Tide.
post #2983 of 3085 Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Link? Would like to check out 'the competition'.
This is the thread from @BrittonYoder . So much unhealthy excess in here. One of my favorites.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ove-stuff.html
cowger likes this.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #2984 of 3085 Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Don't do that to me I was so excited!!!
Me too!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #2985 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
This is the thread from BrittonYoder. So much unhealthy excess in here. One of my favorites.
Ok, first off, definitely a cool thread. Lots of rack cabling and home connectivity p0rn in there. Dude has skills and a lot of really cool projects.

That being said: Did I miss something, or are there only like 3-4 theater-related posts in the whole 21 page thread?
James92TSi and p3bham like this.
post #2986 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Did I miss something, or are there only like 3-4 theater-related posts in the whole 21 page thread?
I couldn't find but a few as well
post #2987 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Did I miss something, or are there only like 3-4 theater-related posts in the whole 21 page thread?
Yeah it was definitely HEAVY on the home automation part. But man the guy has some skills. I found it a bit lacking in the theater department but as good of a whole home thread as I've seen.

Roll Tide.
post #2988 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The thread was primarily around the automation and wiring. He didn’t get a lot of traction when seeking input in theater related questions.

-

post #2989 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I agree. Not trying to take credit away from an awesome system, but it's in the Dedicated Theater Design area, and comparing that to Tim's is ridiculous!
post #2990 of 3085 Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Technically my thread is/will be a mix of theater construction / whole house structured wiring and equipment / automation / subwoofer building all wound into one. I find it hard to find the time to update one thread let alone two or three!

Having extensive experience myself in this structured wiring area I have to say I like my chances of giving Britton a run for his money. Biggest difference is I generally don't use those back cans behind every flat panel - not because I don't think they are super useful (because they are), but because I'm cheap when it comes to those things. I use Quickport connectors and will mount any baluns directly to the wall in an optimal spot instead. There's usually a bit of tilt with most displays, allowing the room. If I was going for ultra, ultra, ultra low profile then the back can is the way to go, without question.
BllDo likes this.
post #2991 of 3085 Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updates are coming....when I have a minute to organize my photos and thoughts...stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2ukjfa.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2530892  
post #2992 of 3085 Old 02-25-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Updates are coming....when I have a minute to organize my photos and thoughts...stay tuned.
ERMAGHERD!! That pic, I'm worried that you're going to start killing off my favorite characters!!
post #2993 of 3085 Old 02-25-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:

Updates are coming....
All good, as long as they don't brick the system
post #2994 of 3085 Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
ERMAGHERD!! That pic, I'm worried that you're going to start killing off my favorite characters!!
The 24s have had a fatal encounter, and will be replaced with eight 21s in full size horns...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
DougUSMC likes this.
post #2995 of 3085 Old 02-26-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
The 24s have had a fatal encounter, and will be replaced with eight 21s in full size horns...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
MMM skhorn!!!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #2996 of 3085 Old 02-26-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't seem to upload photos to AVS...it's not accepting the attachments. I tried every way possible to upload from drag-and-drop to managing the attachments and nothing seems to be working at the moment.

I guess the updates will have to wait. @impreza276 - Looks like I might have bricked the system. Sorry. Hmrph.
impreza276 likes this.
post #2997 of 3085 Old 02-26-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	2531460

Huh. No issues here with attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
texpilot likes this.
post #2998 of 3085 Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Despite having logged out and then logged back in several different times with my valid login credentials, I keep getting the errors and nothing is uploading. Admins have been contacted regarding the situation. Hopefully they can clear the issue in the near-term.
post #2999 of 3085 Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 AM

Come on AVS get it together we need updates...

Roll Tide.
post #3000 of 3085 Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Can't seem to upload photos to AVS...it's not accepting the attachments. I tried every way possible to upload from drag-and-drop to managing the attachments and nothing seems to be working at the moment.

I guess the updates will have to wait. @impreza276 - Looks like I might have bricked the system. Sorry. Hmrph.
Can you try some less impressive updates? Yours may be overwhelming the system.
HopefulFred likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page