The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1619Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 3148 Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Zimmerman MN
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
...It's in the pictures but I didn't specifically mention that I used sanding sealer on any exposed MDF edges to get better finish consistency. For the two 24" subs, this was primarily with all the beveled edges. And never pictured, but I also used a fine glazing putty (red in color) to take care of any hairline gaps in the seams. Worked beautifully.
I would like to use this process on my theater door edge that I added 2 - 1/2" layers of MDF and GG too. Can you elaborate on the "fine glazing putty" you used? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4843.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2603046  

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
pkinneb is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 3148 Old 08-14-2019, 11:23 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Yeah no problem I'll do it.
Thanks. I’d also appreciate info on your spraying setup. I’ve used a drywall texture gun with decent results.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
post #3123 of 3148 Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
I would like to use this process on my theater door edge that I added 2 - 1/2" layers of MDF and GG too. Can you elaborate on the "fine glazing putty" you used? Thanks!

Drywall spackle is also recommended for seams and imperfections before painting with Duratex.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3124 of 3148 Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,982
Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6891 Post(s)
Liked: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Drywall spackle is also recommended for seams and imperfections before painting with Duratex.
I think sanding sealer is better than drywall speckle. I've used drywall speckle and still found edges difficult. The sanding sealer took one coat and completely sealed up.
pkinneb likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3125 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I think sanding sealer is better than drywall speckle. I've used drywall speckle and still found edges difficult. The sanding sealer took one coat and completely sealed up.
Two different things to me but I guess with your MDF, the seam isn’t noticeable from a physical perspective though that isn’t often the case with plywood. So to make the imperfections disappear, I use lightweight drywall spackle. I agree with you that sanding sealer stops the dry and thirsty MDF from requiring so many coats. Thanks for sharing. Your results look really nice.
pkinneb likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
post #3126 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,982
Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6891 Post(s)
Liked: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Two different things to me but I guess with your MDF, the seam isn’t noticeable from a physical perspective though that isn’t often the case with plywood. So to make the imperfections disappear, I use lightweight drywall spackle. I agree with you that sanding sealer stops the dry and thirsty MDF from requiring so many coats. Thanks for sharing. Your results look really nice.
Yeah I use the speckle to fill voids and brad nail holes...

All tools on the belt really!
pkinneb likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #3127 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
I would like to use this process on my theater door edge that I added 2 - 1/2" layers of MDF and GG too. Can you elaborate on the "fine glazing putty" you used? Thanks!
HERE is a link to Bondo corporation glazing putty.

In generic terms, it's a one-part putty similar to Bondo but exceptionally good at filling really tiny pinholes, slight scratches and small gaps. I would equate its filling properties to drywall spackle, only this putty is non-porous, non-shrinking, permanently flexible and easier to get a much nicer finish surface prior to paint. Spread it straight from the tube, smooth, sand 30 minutes later.

NOTE: I only used glazing putty for the small edge seam butt joints, small dings, pinholes and the like...NOT for the MDF edges. As noted above, for the edges I used 3 coats of sanding sealer applied with a small foam brush, lightly sanding by hand with 110 sandpaper after each coat.
p3bham and pkinneb like this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3128 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Zimmerman MN
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

In generic terms, it's a one-part putty similar to Bondo but exceptionally good at filling really tiny pinholes, slight scratches and small gaps. I would equate its filling properties to drywall spackle, only this putty is non-porous, non-shrinking, permanently flexible and easier to get a much nicer finish surface prior to paint. Spread it straight from the tube, smooth, sand 30 minutes later.

NOTE: I only used glazing putty for the small edge seam butt joints, small dings, pinholes and the like...NOT for the MDF edges. As noted above, for the edges I used 3 coats of sanding sealer applied with a small foam brush, lightly sanding by hand with 110 sandpaper after each coat.
Perfect thanks!!

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
pkinneb is online now  
post #3129 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
HERE is a link to Bondo corporation glazing putty.

In generic terms, it's a one-part putty similar to Bondo but exceptionally good at filling really tiny pinholes, slight scratches and small gaps. I would equate its filling properties to drywall spackle, only this putty is non-porous, non-shrinking, permanently flexible and easier to get a much nicer finish surface prior to paint. Spread it straight from the tube, smooth, sand 30 minutes later.

NOTE: I only used glazing putty for the small edge seam butt joints, small dings, pinholes and the like...NOT for the MDF edges. As noted above, for the edges I used 3 coats of sanding sealer applied with a small foam brush, lightly sanding by hand with 110 sandpaper after each coat.
I haven't used the Bondo glazing putty but I'm a big fan of Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Actually discovered it while a buddy of mine and I were setting up his pool table - and the YouTube guy we were following used it for filling the seams between the pieces of slate. Really works well and is easy to work with. Just mix water into it to the consistency you want and smooth it out. Dries very quickly and sands really well.
pkinneb likes this.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is online now  
post #3130 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
James92TSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
HERE is a link to Bondo corporation glazing putty.

In generic terms, it's a one-part putty similar to Bondo but exceptionally good at filling really tiny pinholes, slight scratches and small gaps. I would equate its filling properties to drywall spackle, only this putty is non-porous, non-shrinking, permanently flexible and easier to get a much nicer finish surface prior to paint. Spread it straight from the tube, smooth, sand 30 minutes later.

NOTE: I only used glazing putty for the small edge seam butt joints, small dings, pinholes and the like...NOT for the MDF edges. As noted above, for the edges I used 3 coats of sanding sealer applied with a small foam brush, lightly sanding by hand with 110 sandpaper after each coat.
Another technique for sealing MDF edges is to apply oil-based primer. I used Zinsser Cover Stain on the various MDF edges in my build - including routed roundovers on my speaker columns and crown moulding. It gives a nice high build and totally hides the furry MDF edge. I did two coats, then sanded with 120, vacuumed, tack ragged, and it was ready for paint.

For filling seams I used wood putty initially because I had it on hand, then switched to MH Ready Patch which did not have shrinkage issues and was generally easier to work with. MH does need to be covered with primer or it can telegraph through your paint. (Not a problem if you are doing fill -> sand -> prime -> sand -> paint.)

I would use both Cover Stain and MH Ready Patch again in a heartbeat - they worked very well.
pkinneb likes this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
James92TSi is offline  
post #3131 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
I'm a big fan of Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty.
I've used this for years but was trying to avoid anything water-based with unsealed MDF. I just didn't want to risk any swelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
Another technique for sealing MDF edges is to apply oil-based primer.

...then switched to MH Ready Patch which did not have shrinkage issues and was generally easier to work with. MH does need to be covered with primer or it can telegraph through your paint.
I had left over sanding sealer from my back box build which is why I used it vs. an oil-based primer. Last time I used that oil-based primer, though, I recall it being very smelly and was tacky for 2-3 days before it was fully dry and sandable. Was that your experience?

I avoided the MH Ready Patch for the this reason...as in I didn't prime. I also had Bondo on-hand but it was fussy for the small gaps and pin holes, making glazing putty my pick.
pkinneb likes this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3132 of 3148 Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
James92TSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Yes - the Cover Stain primer needed to harden for at least a day before sanding, and good ventilation and/or a respirator is needed. It definitely lent its odor signature to my entire house... though it did dissipate reasonably quickly, maybe an hour after I was done painting.
pkinneb likes this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
James92TSi is offline  
post #3133 of 3148 Old 08-16-2019, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
I've used this for years but was trying to avoid anything water-based with unsealed MDF. I just didn't want to risk any swelling.
Good point that I didn't consider. Makes sense. I actively avoid MDF whenever possible as the dust just murders me even with the very good dust collection I have so if I ever build sub boxes I'm either going to have to suck it up and buy Baltic Birch or wear a damn full body suit lol. Same thing happens to me with Red Oak - but not White Oak - for some reason.
pkinneb likes this.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is online now  
post #3134 of 3148 Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Pictures taken yesterday....but sadly, this is how they've sat since March 25th...





I had completely used up my one gallon of Duratex and haven't yet ordered any more to finish the final coat on the 24" sub boxes which only have one coat. The other boxes have 2-3 coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8573.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2607736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8571.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	2607738  
mikela, GPM, OJ Bartley and 2 others like this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3135 of 3148 Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 3683
I forgot. What drivers are you going to be using in these subs!
audioguy is online now  
post #3136 of 3148 Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Pictures taken yesterday....but sadly, this is how they've sat since March 25th...
It always strikes me how small those other boxes in the back are. Until I remember that the ones in the front are the size of a refrigerator and it's just the comparison that makes them look small....

Roll Tide.
p3bham is online now  
post #3137 of 3148 Old 08-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
BP1Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Basically!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
BP1Fanatic is online now  
post #3138 of 3148 Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I forgot. What drivers are you going to be using in these subs!
24s are Stereo Integrity BHS-24, the 18s are Mach 5 Audio UXL-18 I picked up when they went on an AVS group buy several years ago.
TMcG is offline  
post #3139 of 3148 Old 08-31-2019, 01:05 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
24s are Stereo Integrity BHS-24, the 18s are Mach 5 Audio UXL-18 I picked up when they went on an AVS group buy several years ago.
That’s some nice firepower...to level a house. Since I have lived with similar, you really need to hurry up already. Giddy. Giddy I tell you, every time you play...pretty much anything.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is offline  
post #3140 of 3148 Old 09-04-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Finally got off the dime and ordered a gallon of the SPRAY Duratex. The 24" boxes are definitely getting two more coats each, but I'll probably end up shooting all the boxes one last time since everything will be set up and ready to go.

In for a penny, in for a pound...right?
DougUSMC, p3bham and pkinneb like this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3141 of 3148 Old 09-04-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 3683
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
That’s some nice firepower...to level a house. Since I have lived with similar, you really need to hurry up already. Giddy. Giddy I tell you, every time you play...pretty much anything.
I've just spent 3 days re-arranging my rear 4 Seaton F18s. I had them lined up against the back wall, but ended up with 3 of them in a corner (a soffit in the way of stacking 4 but since corner are our friends, 3 give more than enough output). I also faced the drivers into the wall so got an extra 5 or 6 dB boost at about 95Hz. Net result: Best bass I've had in my room - and easily reach >125dB peaks at even below reference.

So given the LFE fire power you will end up with, BE PREPARED!!!!
dgage likes this.
audioguy is online now  
post #3142 of 3148 Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
That’s some nice firepower...to level a house. Since I have lived with similar, you really need to hurry up already. Giddy. Giddy I tell you, every time you play...pretty much anything.
Thanks. My 'giddy' comes and goes depending on my work travel schedule and two young boys as first priorities. Also trying to wrap up those outside fall projects before the weather turns. I am impatient by design, but also realistic about the hours I can squirrel away to work on this thing. Pace should pick up once the main part of the basement and the theater ceiling is complete. At this point, what's another year to finish, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I've just spent 3 days re-arranging my rear 4 Seaton F18s. I had them lined up against the back wall, but ended up with 3 of them in a corner (a soffit in the way of stacking 4 but since corner are our friends, 3 give more than enough output). I also faced the drivers into the wall so got an extra 5 or 6 dB boost at about 95Hz. Net result: Best bass I've had in my room - and easily reach >125dB peaks at even below reference.

So given the LFE fire power you will end up with, BE PREPARED!!!!
Like your setup, it's all about the overhead! Eliminates room modes, lowers THD...just makes the home theater experience much better when properly calibrated. Even with my planned LFE, it still won't compare to Rob Hahn's theater with his sixteen 24" subs and all the other balancing subs tucked here and there. It was an experience in brute force LFE with a clarity I've never experienced prior or since.


UPDATE
* Duratex is being delivered today. I might....*might*...try to get everything sprayed tonight with all required coats and let cure for the next week before finishing these things and putting them into storage until I build the front baffle wall in the theater.
* I'll try to post some of the other 'historical' pics I have lurking in my photos. Not sure if anyone noticed, but I chamfered the front baffle roundover edge to the DIYSG boxes. I also discovered photos of the boxes with glazing putty for those of you interested. HIGHLY recommend glazing putty to fill the small holes, gaps and imperfections. It does a perfect job.
NotShorty, DougUSMC and pkinneb like this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3143 of 3148 Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Even with my planned LFE, it still won't compare to Rob Hahn's theater with his sixteen 24" subs and all the other balancing subs tucked here and there. It was an experience in brute force LFE with a clarity I've never experienced prior or since.
I can't believe you actually got to sit in that one. It had to have been an incredible experience - essentially the reference standard for what can be done when money isn't an object and the best people are involved with a homeowner who has a passion for home theater.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is online now  
post #3144 of 3148 Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,688
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
I can't believe you actually got to sit in that one. It had to have been an incredible experience - essentially the reference standard for what can be done when money isn't an object and the best people are involved with a homeowner who has a passion for home theater.
It was an incredible experience, without question, and Rob was the most gracious of hosts. As a Motion Picture Director of Photography, he has an extremely keen eye for video performance and set custom calibrations for each demo clip he played (Gravity (beginning), War of the Worlds (Pod emergence sequence), The Revenant (beginning) and the new UHD release of Lawrence of Arabia which looked like it was filmed yesterday. Audio in the Lawrence of Arabia was a bit rougher as you might expect as a result of a 65 year old recording technology, but the experience wasn't any less enjoyable.

I don't have a count, but I've likely visited close to 50 AVS members' theaters over the years...some several times over. Haven't made it to the Beast - Unleashed (Brolic Beast), Cinemar (Mario), Coffin Build (Doublewing11), Savoy Theater (dlbeck), Signal Hill Theater (LeBon), Plains Theater (J_P_A), Art Sonneborn, Ash Sharma and a handful of other theaters of note. Plus I need to revisit @audioguy now that he upgraded almost every last piece of equipment *since* swearing off upgrades! There's a whole host of others I keep on my short list, but work travel is just that...work...and I don't always have the time to sync up with an AVS member while on the road.
p3bham likes this.
TMcG is offline  
post #3145 of 3148 Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OJ Bartley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Wow, agreed. The Rob Hahn theatre would be at the top of my list to see in person. You're a lucky guy!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
OJ Bartley is online now  
post #3146 of 3148 Old 09-06-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,448
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4873 Post(s)
Liked: 3683
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
IPlus I need to revisit @audioguy now that he upgraded almost every last piece of equipment *since* swearing off upgrades!
Now I’m “swearing off”, “swearing off upgrades”.

I could never visit Rob Hahn’s theater. And not due to how awesome his video might be. I just don’t want to experience THAT level of audio excellence! The “lust factor” would be far too destructive!!
TMcG and p3bham like this.
audioguy is online now  
post #3147 of 3148 Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
I don't have a count, but I've likely visited close to 50 AVS members' theaters over the years...some several times over. Haven't made it to the Beast - Unleashed (Brolic Beast), Cinemar (Mario), Coffin Build (Doublewing11), Savoy Theater (dlbeck), Signal Hill Theater (LeBon), Plains Theater (J_P_A), Art Sonneborn, Ash Sharma and a handful of other theaters of note. Plus I need to revisit @audioguy now that he upgraded almost every last piece of equipment *since* swearing off upgrades! There's a whole host of others I keep on my short list, but work travel is just that...work...and I don't always have the time to sync up with an AVS member while on the road.
That's impressive. If you do ever make it down to the Plains Theater let me know as I'm in Birmingham and would love to meet up as well. I'm a member of quite a few forums online - a couple woodworking and the Pelican Parts Porsche forum - but none have the sense of community that AVS does except maybe PP, where people just not only go out of their way to help another forum member but often open their homes to people they only really know by screen name. It's such an amazing resource and community we have here.
tigerhonaker, J_P_A and TMcG like this.

Roll Tide.
p3bham is online now  
post #3148 of 3148 Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It was an incredible experience, without question, and Rob was the most gracious of hosts. As a Motion Picture Director of Photography, he has an extremely keen eye for video performance and set custom calibrations for each demo clip he played (Gravity (beginning), War of the Worlds (Pod emergence sequence), The Revenant (beginning) and the new UHD release of Lawrence of Arabia which looked like it was filmed yesterday. Audio in the Lawrence of Arabia was a bit rougher as you might expect as a result of a 65 year old recording technology, but the experience wasn't any less enjoyable.

I don't have a count, but I've likely visited close to 50 AVS members' theaters over the years...some several times over. Haven't made it to the Beast - Unleashed (Brolic Beast), Cinemar (Mario), Coffin Build (Doublewing11), Savoy Theater (dlbeck), Signal Hill Theater (LeBon), Plains Theater (J_P_A), Art Sonneborn, Ash Sharma and a handful of other theaters of note. Plus I need to revisit @audioguy now that he upgraded almost every last piece of equipment *since* swearing off upgrades! There's a whole host of others I keep on my short list, but work travel is just that...work...and I don't always have the time to sync up with an AVS member while on the road.
Yea...you start working through some of those, I don't even want to be on your "Long list" in my paltry little basement HT.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off