The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1677Likes

post #3151 of 3209 Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It was an incredible experience, without question, and Rob was the most gracious of hosts. As a Motion Picture Director of Photography, he has an extremely keen eye for video performance and set custom calibrations for each demo clip he played (Gravity (beginning), War of the Worlds (Pod emergence sequence), The Revenant (beginning) and the new UHD release of Lawrence of Arabia which looked like it was filmed yesterday. Audio in the Lawrence of Arabia was a bit rougher as you might expect as a result of a 65 year old recording technology, but the experience wasn't any less enjoyable.

I don't have a count, but I've likely visited close to 50 AVS members' theaters over the years...some several times over. Haven't made it to the Beast - Unleashed (Brolic Beast), Cinemar (Mario), Coffin Build (Doublewing11), Savoy Theater (dlbeck), Signal Hill Theater (LeBon), Plains Theater (J_P_A), Art Sonneborn, Ash Sharma and a handful of other theaters of note. Plus I need to revisit @audioguy now that he upgraded almost every last piece of equipment *since* swearing off upgrades! There's a whole host of others I keep on my short list, but work travel is just that...work...and I don't always have the time to sync up with an AVS member while on the road.

Tim... it’s on my bucket list to visit your HT... you came to mine .... 2015 ??
I may retire 2022, you’ll be done by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3209 Old 10-17-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Tim... it’s on my bucket list to visit your HT... you came to mine .... 2015 ??
I may retire 2022, you’ll be done by then
I can't remember if it was 2015 or 2016. You hadn't quite reached the stage of hanging your new door and patching the carpet. But since you've changed virtually everything in your theater since I was last there, we need to plan another get-together! Unfortunately I'm not in Michigan too often so we will have to pick our spots and sync schedules.

Not sure when my theater will be complete, but you have a standing invite.

By the way, I finally get to check off one of the theater visits I mentioned before sometime next week. I'll post details here.
p3bham likes this.

Last edited by TMcG; 10-17-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #3153 of 3209 Old 10-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Good to see you back Tim. Will be good to see the "finished" product on those subs.

Roll Tide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 3209 Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 3946
Depending on the completion YEAR, I most definitely will invite myself to your home to see what the final room looks like (cosmetics) and experience, I'm sure, an incredible audio and video presentation. The attention to detail is not like anything I have seen previously - at least in a mostly DIY theater (Rob Hahn's would fall into the NOT DIY category).

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #3155 of 3209 Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Depending on the completion YEAR, I most definitely will invite myself to your home to see what the final room looks like (cosmetics) and experience, I'm sure, an incredible audio and video presentation.
Is there a completion year you wouldn't be attending?

Quote:
The attention to detail is not like anything I have seen previously - at least in a mostly DIY theater (Rob Hahn's would fall into the NOT DIY category).
Thanks. Quite an accolade, coming from you. I've actually done everything myself except the CNC of the custom 24" sub boxes and the reconfiguration of the HVAC line sets where you need a specialized license and equipment to handle. Otherwise 100% my own two hands.

Update:
I haven't yet sprayed the sub boxes. I just had too much to do on Friday morning, making time too short for the project before heading to afternoon appointments. I didn't want to rush things. Likely another week or two before I'll get to it, judging by my travel schedule and other priorities.
post #3156 of 3209 Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Likely another week or two before I'll get to it, judging by my travel schedule and other priorities.
Ever get tired of the smell of recycled air on planes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3157 of 3209 Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a completion year you wouldn't be attending?

At my age (actually, at any age) tomorrow is not guaranteed!!

As for attention to some of the small details, that usually falls to the bottom of my "to do"list. Case in point: I had previously spent about 8 or 9 consecutive days, 8 to 10 hours per day, finally getting the wiring mess behind my rack to look as perfect as I know how to do it. Since that time, (and as I have more than once been reminded) virtually everything in the rack has been changed and the wiring is much worse that it has ever been. Every time I look at it, I get mildly depressed - but apparently not enough to actually do anything about it.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
post #3158 of 3209 Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
...... Like last year, I'll take a few minutes to post my thoughts if anyone is interested.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I didn't get to go, so I have to live vicariously through your words on the internet!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #3159 of 3209 Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
At my age (actually, at any age) tomorrow is not guaranteed!!

As for attention to some of the small details, that usually falls to the bottom of my "to do"list. Case in point: I had previously spent about 8 or 9 consecutive days, 8 to 10 hours per day, finally getting the wiring mess behind my rack to look as perfect as I know how to do it. Since that time, (and as I have more than once been reminded) virtually everything in the rack has been changed and the wiring is much worse that it has ever been. Every time I look at it, I get mildly depressed - but apparently not enough to actually do anything about it.
Chuck,

Me being 74 years old already I don't put off doing things.
I spend as you know a great many hours in the H/T and that's usually 7-days a week.
My thinking is that's what I enjoy and after all the time, energy, planning, and certainly monies spent on it I'm going to use it.
If in my case I got into a H/T project or any other project that starting today in 2019 and it was still not completed in 2016.
I simply don't really, honestly think I have that many years left to at some point past 2016 to finally get to even turn on the H/T system.
I would be like maybe 82 years old and maybe even older.
The good thing is for a fellow like Tim being so much younger and given hopefully a normal life span he can do his Custom Home Theater how ever many years it's actually going to take.
I wish Tim the best on his H/T project starting back in 2012 but for a guy my age the time frame just wouldn't work out I don't think.

Terry
post #3160 of 3209 Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Ever get tired of the smell of recycled air on planes?
The only time it really bothered me was during the summer when departing out of Rome or Brussels, two major hubs for Africa, Middle East and India. Different hygiene standards tended to ...uh... "sweeten" the air after being sealed up for 9-11 hours. Fortunately, company policy allows me to fly business class for flights longer than 6 hours which takes some of the sting out of the harder travel. Funny how flying to California now seems like going to the convenience store down the road. It used to feel like the longest flight ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I didn't get to go, so I have to live vicariously through your words on the internet!
You got it! I'll likely have time Wednesday night or Thursday to summarize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I spend as you know a great many hours in the H/T and that's usually 7-days a week.

I wish Tim the best on his H/T project starting back in 2012 but for a guy my age the time frame just wouldn't work out I don't think.
Hey Terry. Thanks for checking in. If I had a theater like yours already up and running, there's no doubt I would be using it every chance I get. Fantastic dynamics and so easy to listen to at reference for hours on end without fatigue.

I'll repeat it because I feel I have to...I started the theater but went on a 3.5 year+ pause because it was looking like I was going to sell and move for my job. That never happened, but after tearing out the old I've been truly at it about 2.5 - 3 years off-and-on. Having kids 6 and 3 is the biggest happy distraction from working long weekends in the basement, but I wouldn't change a thing. Some days I say I should just do a 'quickie' finish job with just paint and surface mount acoustic panels just to get things done and enjoy it for a while, but it's not what I want. What I want will take time and I'm looking forward to cutting my teeth on new skills with veneering and finishing when the time comes. I hope all is well with you and the Mrs.! AND that red rocketship you bought!
chirpie and tigerhonaker like this.

Last edited by TMcG; 10-23-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #3161 of 3209 Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:

Hey Terry. Thanks for checking in. If I had a theater like yours already up and running, there's no doubt I would be using it every chance I get. Fantastic dynamics and so easy to listen to at reference for hours on end without fatigue.

I'll repeat it because I feel I have to...I started the theater but went on a 3.5 year+ pause because it was looking like I was going to sell and move for my job. That never happened, but after tearing out the old I've been truly at it about 2.5 - 3 years off-and-on. Having kids 6 and 3 is the biggest happy distraction from working long weekends in the basement, but I wouldn't change a thing. Some days I say I should just do a 'quickie' finish job with just paint and surface mount acoustic panels just to get things done and enjoy it for a while, but it's not what I want. What I want will take time and I'm looking forward to cutting my teeth on new skills with veneering and finishing when the time comes. I hope all is well with you and the Mrs.! AND that red rocketship you bought!
Hi Tim,

Just so you know I don't post on your dedicated thread simply because there is nothing I could possibly add to it IMHO that would be helpful.

And I do understand you wanting your H/T to be exactly as you wish it to be and your willing to take all the time necessary to have it "Your-Way".
It's great you have the talent necessary to do it yourself.

For guys like myself that have zero-talent for such things we depend on A/V Shops.
I will say in sadly many cases what I end up with is not always what that shop or I was promised.
Especially according to where one lives and the availability of professional shops with super-qualified-technicians.
Here as in Nashville, TN. there are hardly any Brick & Mortar A/V Stores left and have not been for a great many years.
Luckily for myself I have been dealing with one owner and his senior tech for years doing my H/T in all it's Major Up-Dates.
And because of that ^^^ I will say my H/T to any normal Non-Picky person their opinions are it's awesome for Audio & Video.

BTW,
Speaking of the Bright Red New 2019 Audi RS-3 it now has a whopping 1,020 miles on it. LOL !!!
I think you might enjoy a spin in it ..........

Lastly,
Tim I do follow your progress on this thread I just don't post as like I said I have nothing helpful to add.

Terry
PreciseD likes this.
post #3162 of 3209 Old 10-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Lol, I raced an Audi A3 sedan this morning from a stop light in my 2000 Toyota Solara SEV6 automatic. He couldn't catch me until the top of 3rd gear. I've been talking trash to my wife about racing her 2016 Volvo S60. I just installed new coil plugs on the Solara and she's running like a champ!
impreza276 and tigerhonaker like this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #3163 of 3209 Old 10-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Speaking of the Bright Red New 2019 Audi RS-3 it now has a whopping 1,020 miles on it. LOL !!!

I think you might enjoy a spin in it ..........

Terry
Hey a fellow Audi enthusiast!

I have been eyeing the RS3 for my daily, but worried about the legroom.. hard enough to fit the kids in the A4 and Q5..

You keeping yours stock or going with some IMS goodies?

-Chris
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #3164 of 3209 Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Lol, I raced an Audi A3 sedan this morning from a stop light in my 2000 Toyota Solara SEV6 automatic. He couldn't catch me until the top of 3rd gear. I've been talking trash to my wife about racing her 2016 Volvo S60. I just installed new coil plugs on the Solara and she's running like a champ!
I read you my Good-Man.

Don't ever try that with the RS-3 as it does 0 to 60 MPH in 3.5 seconds !!!
I'm speaking of the USA Model with 400 H/P of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
Hey a fellow Audi enthusiast!

I have been eyeing the RS3 for my daily, but worried about the legroom.. hard enough to fit the kids in the A4 and Q5..

You keeping yours stock or going with some IMS goodies?

-Chris
Hi Chris,

Well in the front there is not as you might already know issue at all for leg-room ...........
Leg room is zero issues ^^^ .......
But, if the driver and say passenger were both like 6' tall means that they are having their seats moved further to the rear.
And given they did that ^^^
The rear passengers even children would honestly have to be smaller in size.
Just keep this in mind on the RS-3 it is actually referred to as a "Sub-Compact-Sedan".
It's not IMHO meant to haul 4-larger size people around at all.
Young-Small children, yes, larger children, no !!!

I love the RS-3 guys and when I say I have owned a lot of different brands and makes since the mid 60's trust me that's not an exaggeration.

Sorry Tim about taking this Main Thread of your's Off-Topic buddy.

Terry
post #3165 of 3209 Old 10-23-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Well in the front there is not as you might already know issue at all for leg-room ...........
Leg room is zero issues ^^^ .......
But, if the driver and say passenger were both like 6' tall means that they are having their seats moved further to the rear.
And given they did that ^^^
The rear passengers even children would honestly have to be smaller in size.
Just keep this in mind on the RS-3 it is actually referred to as a "Sub-Compact-Sedan".
It's not IMHO meant to haul 4-larger size people around at all.
Young-Small children, yes, larger children, no !!!

I love the RS-3 guys and when I say I have owned a lot of different brands and makes since the mid 60's trust me that's not an exaggeration.

Sorry Tim about taking this Main Thread of your's Off-Topic buddy.

Terry
Yeah I tested one out, but as I am 6' there was absolutely no leg room in the back.. Guess I will have to wait for the 2020 RS4 to go on CPO in 2023 lol... It is a shame becasue I just love the noise of that 2.5 5cyl!!

If you like build threads here is one on my 580 AWHP B6 A4

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...EFR-7670-Build
post #3166 of 3209 Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah I tested one out, but as I am 6' there was absolutely no leg room in the back.. Guess I will have to wait for the 2020 RS4 to go on CPO in 2023 lol... It is a shame becasue I just love the noise of that 2.5 5cyl!!

If you like build threads here is one on my 580 AWHP B6 A4

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...EFR-7670-Build
Wow, Super-Nice-Build

I agree the RS-3 is not the 1st choice for anyone that has children or multiple adults to be in it.
But ...........
For a family of only the hubby & wife it's a Bad-Boy-Machine !!!

Terry
PreciseD likes this.
post #3167 of 3209 Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wow, Super-Nice-Build

I agree the RS-3 is not the 1st choice for anyone that has children or multiple adults to be in it.
But ...........
For a family of only the hubby & wife it's a Bad-Boy-Machine !!!

Terry
Agreed!

One day I will get one when I get rid of some of the toys I already own.. Kind of hard to tell the wife I need another car I wont use lol..

Anyways, enough thread jacking...

Enjoy that RS3!!
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #3168 of 3209 Old 10-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
It is a shame becasue I just love the noise of that 2.5 5cyl!!
Me too! My son has a 2.4L i5 NA in his 2001 S60. i5's and V10's are some of the best sounding engines!
tigerhonaker and PreciseD like this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #3169 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Since its being talked about, I have a 2008 Audi TT 3.2l VR6 Quattro Coupe with a Turbo setup tuned down to 400hp for my daily driving but I can tune it up to 600hp.
tigerhonaker and PreciseD like this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #3170 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
That's interesting. It probably had a lot to do with driver skill
post #3171 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Talking

Lol, I can't drive his car for him!

post #3172 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Since its being talked about, I have a 2008 Audi TT 3.2l VR6 Quattro Coupe with a Turbo setup tuned down to 400hp for my daily driving but I can tune it up to 600hp.
I work with guy who was considering getting 1 of the last TTRS. He had a 2008 350z convertible auto (slowest configuration possible). He ended up getting a 2019 Mazda6. He's going to wait until his kids finish school to upgrade. He has a buddy with like an 800hp Audi RS7. He stops me in the hallway monthly to tell me their car stories. I actually work with his wife. She wouldn't let him get a $12k supercharger kit for the 350z. I tried to talk her into it but she wasn't trying to hear it...lol!

post #3173 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Seeing impreza276 reminds me of 1 of the stories where RS7 guy buys his teenage son a brand new WRX STi so the kid could beat the 350z.
impreza276 likes this.

post #3174 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol, I can't drive his car for him!
True! He'd have to get his engine in boost to stand a chance. I love the Solara V6 anyways, it's a torquey beast.

I've never owned an Impreza, though I've had an Evo 1. That Subaru burble is to die for. It's a bucket list car for me!
post #3175 of 3209 Old 10-29-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I work with guy who was considering getting 1 of the last TTRS. He had a 2008 350z convertible auto (slowest configuration possible). He ended up getting a 2019 Mazda6. He's going to wait until his kids finish school to upgrade. He has a buddy with like an 800hp Audi RS7. He stops me in the hallway monthly to tell me their car stories. I actually work with his wife. She wouldn't let him get a $12k supercharger kit for the 350z. I tried to talk her into it but she wasn't trying to hear it...lol!
I can't fault him for his choice. I looked hard at getting the 350z convertible some time back. Open top experience, which is all the better to hear one of the sweetest engine soundtracks around.

Last edited by impreza276; 10-30-2019 at 06:05 AM.
post #3176 of 3209 Old 10-30-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy that we're talking about 350z and Mazda 6 in the same conversation as the RS7??
James92TSi and PreciseD like this.
post #3177 of 3209 Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Lmao!

post #3178 of 3209 Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am I the only one who finds it amazing that the last 18 posts have absolutely nothing to do with audio or video or this theater or the guy who is building it or ....?
warwwolf7 and p3bham like this.

post #3179 of 3209 Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

He brought his beautiful car into the conversation!

post #3180 of 3209 Old 10-30-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He brought his beautiful car into the conversation!
Actually Tim didn't - Tiger did. Not a big deal just fascinating that all of those posts were about auto vs audio
J_P_A and warwwolf7 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page