Coolplazma's HT Den project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Original HT post was 2011. Construction for this project has finally begun... December 2012. Hurray!

Room dimensions are 14.4ft L x 11.6ft W x 9ft H. ceiling. for the rear side alcove add 2ft D x 5.5ft W. The front alcove area is 115" wide (9' 7") by 24" deep.

We are now installing a single 15-light door instead of double doors, and placing the AV console in the rear side alcove instead of front.

Since inception of this HT, the equipment list has evolved a little, basically replacing a 3311 with a 4311:

AV Equipment:
- Denon AVR 4311ci amp
- Definitive Technology speakers:
3 Mythos Tens for the fronts (5" deep)
2 Mythos GemXL as front heights
2 Mythos GemXL for rear side surrounds
1 SVS PB10-NSD (400watt sub)
12 gauge Monoprice speaker wire

2 view screens in this room:

1) a wall mounted Panasonic 50" plasma TV we've had for a few years.

2) a Sony HW30 2D/3D projector shooting to a motorized 110" Da-Lite Cosmopolitan tab-tensioned CinemaVision (1.3 gain). Throw distance from pj to screen will be approx 12ft. The non-AT screen material means the front side speakers will be mounted on the side walls of the alcove likely behind the leading side edges of the screen.

The display screen alcove area will get some black fabric treatment and that will include 1/2" padding material (ie: Fabricmate Track http://www.fabricmate.com/track_profile.php) with onyx/black Anchorage fabric. The intent is 1) improve picture contrast by minimizing reflection, and 2) add some texture to soften the acoustics in that alcove and minimize any cave effect. I have the side fronts (Mythos Tens) drawn about 1 foot from the side walls and toed in. Ultimately I'd like to space them further apart, but the side walls would start to mess up the audio (AFAIK). True?

I quite like the Mythos Tens and find the mid range may be a little fuller than ST towers, probably because the Tens have dedicated mid radiators whereas ST/STS use radiators only for the powered sub section. I have a pair of Mythos ST towers (@ 15" deep), but due to depth constraints in this smaller room I need to keep the projector screen as close to the plasma/wall as possible. So I figure it's best to keep just the SVS in the cinema room for good kicking movie effects and then use the ST towers out in our main living room area (another audio zone) for music only. However, I am still considering adding a 2nd SVS PB10 to place on the right side of the AV console at the front of the room. Would adding a 2nd sub work ok in a room this size, or overkill?

Lastly, I've never used front heights before, but considering the lack of space behind the seating this seems the best approach for a 7ch system. The heights would be mounted near ceiling height on the face of the screen soffit (a 1ft drop).

Attaching some layout images. Looking forward to comments.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Per the mockup images in the OP, the screen alcove area is getting 1/2" Fabricmate Track, and 1/2" poly padding from JoAnn's, covered with 16oz black Commando cloth. The front alcove wall and sides are packed with insulation to hopefully lessen acoustic reverb and avoid a hollow wall sound. Other room treatments include window blinds and curtains and a toupe tone carpet. Seating for now will be a sofa.

Ran a new dedicated 110v circuit to the AV alcove and front. I have a APC H15BLK conditioner for the main components, but the SVS sub and plasma screen at the front will be on their own basic surge supressor rather than running a 30ft extension to it.

I haven't pulled all the rear speaker wires yet as I will first mockup their positions and test before making the runs permanent. I anticipate ending up with 2 front heights and only 2 surrounds, leaving out the option of 2 rears as our seating is close to the back wall to benefit from those.

Room entrance view from the outside hallway. Reno was need to frame in an open archway and have a 32" door installed:

Gas fireplace (for cozy reading room/den). Reno removed an odd assembly of 3 vertical windows from that wall, replaced with gas fireplace (exterior added a full chimney/chase and decorative cap):

Front screen alcove. Reno was needed to remove a small closet from the other side of the wall (old footprint can be seen on the subfloor) and yield a 115" wall for the projector screen. Also raised the soffit height to 98" from floor:

Rear AV component alcove (aka closet area incorporated in the room) and door framing:

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Fabricmate track and carpet installed

Used FS105 1/2" low leg (a new product) for the for front edge facing the seating area. FS100 for the remainder - rear wall and returns from the front FS105s. With only thin drywall in place (I had it backed with insulation to kill the hollow sound), I opted to use screws instead of long staples as the latter would not hold.

Here's a look at the new Milliken carpet installed. It's a taupe color with beige leaf pattern. After some weeks of looking at rather ordinary cut/frieze pile carpets (we have cats with claws so all loop carpets are out of the question) I found this high quality patterned carpet at a clearance warehouse 50% off retail. Installed with a premium pad I'm really happy with the result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moving along. Installed poly batting and did initial setup of plazma TV, motorized pj screen, front speakers, projector...

The 110" diagonal 16:9 Da-Lite Cosmopolitan screen is hanging from two 8" L-brackets at either end, approx 6" from the front wall and bottom is 27" from floor. It was a bit of a b*tch to install the heavy screen by myself and with only 1/8" clearance to the walls on either end of the motor casing. For the motor wire routing, Da-Lite only provides holes on the end of the cap, so I drilled an exit out the back in order to hide and route the wiring as I had no clearance on the side. I find it really strange that Da-Lite would only include an ugly side exit for wiring... who would ever want to look at that?! Another oddity, Da-Lite provides a white wall switch (installed to the right by the door) for the default motor setup. Who would ever want a white wall switch in a projector room? I'll be spray painting that switch and some other items with matte black. For now, it matches the white poly batting. LOL.

The side Mythos 10 speakers are positioned just in front of the screen to allow clearance for the bottom bar on the motorized screen, and toed in (right speaker to left seat, left speaker to right seat). The center channel Mythos 10 front is flush with the screen face and angled up at maybe 20 degrees. I fashioned some L-brackets to hang the speakers from the walls and achieve the desired angles simply by hammering the brackets to the bend needed.

Initially I had intended to mount the side speakers with the tweeter (center) up at screen mid-point (56" from floor), but that seemed way higher than optimal for seated position (and the mid TV height of 48") so compromised with a tweeter height of 50". Aesthetically, the speaker bottoms align with the top of the wainscoting trim you see on the side walls.

The front height GemXL speakers are mounted using two Adam Hall SPSG3B Wall Mounts. These are metal brackets are the most solid I have seen... far better than any plastic mount. Minor caveat is to discard the flimsy "safety cable" as it is useless. I bought 4 of these items for less than $15/ea and was astonished to receive 4 pairs (8 total) for under $60. Great deal! Current price is $26.50 at Amazon so perhaps I scored a better than normal price smile.gif

Here is the Sony HW30 mounted at screen center and minimum height allowable above the rear window. Lens center at 89.5" from the floor nets 5" above screen top which is at 84.5". Lens center is 18" from the 9ft high T&G ceiling. Throw distance from lens to screen is 12' 3".

$40 AV shelf is from Peerless. Sure I could build a basic shelf with brackets for $10-15, but that would need to be 20 inches wide which is much bulkier than this minimalistic looking Peerless shelf which almost looks like the projector is hanging in mid air. Laying on top of the HW30 is a black microfiber cloth I use to drop down over the pj lens when it's not in use, instead of messing with the lens cover and misaligning focus, etc.

Due to the wood ceiling and window headers in the rear wall I decided not to get too cute with the projector wiring. I'll run the power, hdmi and ethernet along the wall corners to the AV stack where my power center/conditioner resides.

TBD:
- Currently waiting for a shipment of black 16oz Commando cloth from ScenicSource to complete the fabric treatment in the screen/tv alcove.
- Install AV console/cabinet in rear alcove and connect wiring.
- Add window treatments (aka curtains). Have legacy curtains on hand, wife needed new sewing machine (of course) to complete her hemming task.
- Mount the same type of curtain on a swing arm or track for the glass pane entrance door. I would have done this even if we had installed a solid panel door as the finish sheen needed to be subdued regardless and black paint was not a WAF option.
- Add some furnature (toss in a legacy couch and hope the WAF promotes getting new seating smile.gif
- Mock up surround and rear speaker (all GemXL) locations before fishing wire through walls. Need to decide if rear surrounds are in or out and adjust surround locations accordingly. Likely the main seating will be close to the back wall so rear speakers may not be optimal (per discussions in Audyssey threads). Have enough speakers and amp channels to do either 7.1 or 9.1 setup.
- Find optimal location along front wall for the SVS sub, likely somewhere between 2ft from either side wall.
- Tidy up wiring.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Question about acoustic testing and treatment options, especially for the small rear alcove in this room?

I did a little "hand clap" resonance test after installing curtains over all windows (still to add curtains over the glass pane entry door) and added a couple larger sized upholstered chairs for temporary seating. Most of the room seems to have a flat acoustic response to hand claps, but I am concerned the rear alcove acoutics are not good as there is a definite attenuation of ringing/echo (resonance bump?) when clapping in this area of the room. The ringing seems to be of a higher pitch, not low tones.

Currently my only means of testing is this hack hand-clap approach. My Denon 4311 has the Audyssey xt32 for tuning the speakers, but I'd first like to get the room acoustics to a more uniform and acceptable state. I do have a sound meter I use for verifying sub level/response, but not sure if I should try using this for the alcove issue and how?

I suspect this boxy area will need bass traps in the upper corners and/or fabric on its back wall. I'm not sure whether to try pricier options like LENRD bass traps in the upper alcove corners, or acoustic boards and fabrics on those walls, or investigate other options.

For clarity, I am talking about this area of the room:

as shown in the upper right of the floorplan:

Suggestions?

post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Why poly batting? If for acoustic absorption, it won't be too effective - rigid fiberglas covered with acoustically transparent fabric will work better if the intent is to deaden the front wall.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ True, but the the front screen wall area had limited space (eg: 1/8" clearance for the Da-Light motorized screen case length) so I didn't even consider trying to add 2-4" of rigid fiberglass. That wall didn't turn out to be much of an acoustic problem especially with the projector screen lowered. The 1/2" poly batting there is for a little softening of those walls, but mainly intended as a simple backing for the black commando cloth to-be-installed as light treatment around the screen.

The biggest glaring acoustic issue to resolve is the rear alcove which resonates a nasty PRANG (high pitched ringing echo) with the hand clap test. Get this... I mocked up the following "corner treatments" which fixed the PRANG problem...

The above 2'x2'x1/2" interlocking floor mat pieces completely eliminated the "PRANG" reverb. I demonstrated the effect and solution to my wife, who ever the economist told me to go ahead and mount them to the wall and be done with it. This was after explaining to her how expensive "real" acoustic traps cost. Sometimes the WAF can be skewed when $$ are mentioned wink.gif

Comparing results of running through Audyssey xt32 tuning confirmed the need and effect of adding treatments to the rear alcove corners. With the mats in place, the EQ profiles for my 9.1 spearker config (with surrounds & rears installed on walls - not as shown in photo above) is far more uniform with much less range skewing.

I may install more of the fabricmate track here and use this mat material as the 1/2" fill under the cloth cover since the mats appear to be very effective at resolving the response issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page