Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #871 of 884 Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjscho View Post
This room is inspiring and has given me new hope for my room. I have a room with almost identical dimensions. 26' x 17' x 8'9" ceiling. I also have a 4 foot span of beam, ductwork, and plumbing that crosses the center of my room. I'll have to cover this with a soffit. The lowest point is the beam at 7'10". I expect that after framing my soffit will be 7' 8" or 7' 7" floor to ceiling. This puts the base of my projector at about 7'...which is a bit lower than I'd prefer.

Do you recall the height of the beam in this room? The final height of the base of the projector? I'm just trying to get a sense of how tight the projector is in the bar area of this room.
I was wondering if this ever got answered. I one of my designs for a dedicated theater I have two beams to deal with and was wondering how low the projector was placed. My room would be 24'-6"x16'x 8'-8" finished walls. The height under the beams would be 7'-7" I believe you used a projector with lens shift to get it set right on the screen?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 884 Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6512 Post(s)
Liked: 6352
you need a clear line of sight from the lens to the top of the screen in any installation. So if that means you have to mount your projector a little lower then that is what your do. Keep in mind that some projectors do not have vertical lens shift and you would not be able to hit the top of the screen from a lowered position. Tilting a projector is not advised. Yes we used lens shift.
Ladeback likes this.
post #873 of 884 Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you need a clear line of sight from the lens to the top of the screen in any installation. So if that means you have to mount your projector a little lower then that is what your do. Keep in mind that some projectors do not have vertical lens shift and you would not be able to hit the top of the screen from a lowered position. Tilting a projector is not advised. Yes we used lens shift.
Jeff - Sorry if this is buried in the threads somewhere but do you recall the following:

1) how deep are the columns
2) how much space between the front of the columns and the bar top?
3) How big is the screen?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 884 Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6512 Post(s)
Liked: 6352
this is what I remember, the columns on the back wall were considerably less deep than the sides, we recessed the back half of the speakers in the wall for more room at the bar. The result was maybe a 6 inch deep column. I think the screen was 130 wide. Maybe Giantsfan will put a tape on the items for definitive answers, PM him.
post #875 of 884 Old 07-01-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I love this room. Being a basement, I thought a similar room would be possible for me, but my ceilings are no where near 105 inches tall. One of my biggest gripes with basements is ceiling height.

Beautiful theater, one of my favorite designs. Excellent work.
post #876 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I love this room. Being a basement, I thought a similar room would be possible for me, but my ceilings are no where near 105 inches tall. One of my biggest gripes with basements is ceiling height.

Beautiful theater, one of my favorite designs. Excellent work.
We got somewhat lucky when we bought our house in 2007 in that it had ceiling height in the basement around 106" unfinished. I just have to work around a beam and a column though.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #877 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
We got somewhat lucky when we bought our house in 2007 in that it had ceiling height in the basement around 106" unfinished. I just have to work around a beam and a column though.
That’s incredible and unheard of around where I live. 106” is higher than any ceiling in my house. I’m jealous of you guys that don’t live in an overpriced city area.
post #878 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
That’s incredible and unheard of around where I live. 106” is higher than any ceiling in my house. I’m jealous of you guys that don’t live in an overpriced city area.
I live in Kansas City, Mo and houses here are not as expensive as on the cost or mountains. Our living room ceilings are 12' tall, our kitchen and dining rooms are 10' high and out bedrooms are 9' high. Our house is a 2600 sqft ranch style home. Now it is more house then I wanted, but the wife loved it and we are making the payments and hope to be paid off in about 8 years. I are in a mid to upper area for house, but have nicer houses near use that go for in the high 6 figures to low 7 figures.

post #879 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I live in Kansas City, Mo and houses here are not as expensive as on the cost or mountains. Our living room ceilings are 12' tall, our kitchen and dining rooms are 10' high and out bedrooms are 9' high. Our house is a 2600 sqft ranch style home. Now it is more house then I wanted, but the wife loved it and we are making the payments and hope to be paid off in about 8 years. I are in a mid to upper area for house, but have nicer houses near use that go for in the high 6 figures to low 7 figures.
That's incredible, 2600 sqft. Mine is currently 1364 sqft lol. I plan on adding an extension in the future as well as doing a full dormer upstairs. That should bring me to 2000 + sqft. The 2 reasons I bought my house is the area, and the potential it has. The lot is slightly bigger than the average lot around here so I won't lose my yard when I add an extension, and it's a "wideline" cape, that isn't dormer-ed at all. The bones of the house are fantastic. But my highest ceiling isn't even 9 feet lol. Not until I add the extension, which will have vaulted ceilings.

My area has a lot of houses like mine, as well as a few new construction 7 figure houses down my block. Any new construction homes are all huge and in the very high 6 figure to 7 figure range.
post #880 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We don't need to add on. I am working on finishing the basement, with the theater and a half bath. Looking at finishing 1500 sqft. Our house set on a little more than a half acre with no one behind us and some woods.

Here is are living room. It is currently a 4 bedroom with 2 and half bath and 3 car garage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #881 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We don't need to add on. I am working on finishing the basement, with the theater and a half bath. Looking at finishing 1500 sqft. Our house set on a little more than a half acre with no one behind us and some woods.

Here is are living room. It is currently a 4 bedroom with 2 and half bath and 3 car garage.

Half an acre..... that's a dream for me. Must be nice to have that space, I'm jealous. Your house on Long Island would be over a million for sure.

3 car garage!!!!??? That's another dream of mine. I'm lucky I have a one car that actually fits my car. I have a little room to bump it out and make it a 1.5 car garage, but that's about it. I want to be able to get around my car and work on it in the garage.
post #882 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My cousin from California a few years ago and couldn't believe how much house and land we got for our money. Her dad's house near Oakland is worth over a million, but he bought it many years ago for a lot less.

post #883 of 884 Old 07-02-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My cousin from California a few years ago and couldn't believe how much house and land we got for our money. Her dad's house near Oakland is worth over a million, but he bought it many years ago for a lot less.

Exactly, the west and east coast is ridiculous, especially Long Island and anything in proximity to NYC. One area that we beat California in is property tax. A house similar to mine sold around the block, but the owners never grieved their taxes (common practice around here) and they were paying $17,000 a year in property taxes. That's for a 1300 sqft cape on a 60x100 lot with an unfinished basement and 1 bathroom.
post #884 of 884 Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Just an update for those who have followed this theater for years. We dropped in a MiniDSP Dirac box into the NYGIANTSFAN23 ‘s rack last weekend and let Dirac do its thing. After some calibration and minor tweaking (and some hurdles with the miniDSP gain levels), this room sounds beyond phenomenal. His current amp only has five channels (with the rears and second set of side surrounds being powered by his new massive Denon receiver) so he went ahead and ordered a couple more amps w/ the appropriate cabling so we can do the full room calibration this weekend. I really can’t wait, because what I heard with just 5 channels blew my mind. He thought I left the rear surround channels connected by accident—that’s how good the 5.1 soundstage was. And vocals were through the roof! He’s running three JTR Noesis 212’s across his LCR, two Hsu VTF-15’s for his subs, and six DIY Soundgroup speakers.

What sparked this whole audio calibration is the fact that he was starting to notice some system limitations—he had a company come in and do a calibration but he still wasn’t fully satisfied. When he mentioned that, we hypothesized that he might be approaching speaker capability constraints. I mentioned that there’s this company called MiniDSP and if he wanted to get top notch sound out of his existing gear, this was probably his best and certainly most cost-effective bet. And wow—it was. I would recommend his speaker configuration to anyone in the market. Audyssey wasn’t doing the room justice—but Dirac with some tweaking of the curves....changed the entire character of the room. Dynamics are out of this world!

Will report back after we add the rears to the mix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page