AVS Forum banner

Beam and Pole interruptus NOT - BIGmouthinDC and NYGiantsFan23 launch - The Rawlinsway Theater

215K views 886 replies 141 participants last post by  Skillet 
#1 ·
Some time ago NYGF23 posted pictures of a great space for a theater in his unfinished basement except for a stupid, pole. So he grabbed his check book hired an engineer and now we have space, But it still has a low hanging beam that we intend to disguise.

Original Space:

AS is CUSTOM now that the theater project is complete a couple of finished shots are previewed here:

See less See more
#727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...-the-rawlinsway-theater/700_100#post_23886199

I bought some a couple weeks ago at Home Depot. They had 100s in stock on the shelf in the metal framing section. They come bundled in group of 10 but there will be loose ones laying there as well. Don't pay attention to the Pro-Track name, it is a basic steel framers commodity and sold under different names.

Thanks Big - one other question - (I also posted this in theSound Containment - Air Cavity - soffit. thread a few days ago) - is this now your preferred way to build soffits versus using 3/4" MDF?

#728 ·
MDF works, So does Drywall. I don't do drywall finishing so If I bring in someone for that task They can hit the soffit, I'm lazy and have no love for sanding MDF soffits and breathing the dust.

#729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...-the-rawlinsway-theater/700_100#post_23888963

MDF works, So does Drywall. I don't do drywall finishing so If I bring in someone for that task They can hit the soffit, I'm lazy and have no love for sanding MDF soffits and breathing the dust.

Big - When you are doing MDF soffits are you gluing and screwing or just attaching to the 2x2s etc. with just screws?

#735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wru2006  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/720#post_23930423

NYGiantsFan,

did you ever gather costing for this project? this is a beautiful room - i'm sure you're enjoying it!

Hey wru2006, I decided in the beginning of this project that I would not pay much attention to the cost because I knew that it would drive me crazy Just wondering how and why would I spend that kind of money on something that does not yield a monetary return. With that said, I did have a budget of 30k and I did exceed that limit. I do have all of my receipts and Im certain that someday I will check the raw numbers, but for now I will just enjoy and keep spending.....

#737 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/450#post_23572973

Lets talk about the contrasting color frames.

Big I have to ask. did you staple the fabric onto the black painted strips? this is what i assumed but looking at this pick it looks like the fabric is stapled to the wall. Was this just a few missed staples?

Thanks

#739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/720#post_23937081

I tried to hit the wood, but sometimes the angle was such that it didnt happen. I have some panels on my ceiling that were stapled just to the drywall and covered with molding not an issue.

BIG. thanks for all the responses. sorry to ask so many questions. Just want to get it right the first time from the expert.

Can you please provide the staple gun and staple type used for this project?

Thansk again

#741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...-the-rawlinsway-theater/600_100#post_23662495

We used a cheaper fabric that is actually easier to work with by the novice. Acousticmac DMD. it is discussed earlier in the thread.

When you ordered the DMD - did you order "fireproof" or just the standard fabric on the web site?

#748 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/720#post_24062863

No smoking at least not for another 2 years!!!!!!.............

LOL!!!!!

#749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/720#post_24062863

No smoking at least not for another 2 years!!!!!!.............
LOL--counting down already bro? lolol

#750 ·
Oppo problem solved. Feels good to be able to hear my rear speakers again. They said the server board went bad somehow. They were extremely apologetic and they took care of the problem in 4 days. they paid for shipping both ways, updated my software, and gave me a courtesy call to make sure everything was alright after i hooked the system up again. Aside from making a great product, the customer service was awesome. I would definitely Go oppo again in the future.

#751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptu...unch-the-rawlinsway-theater/720#post_24097213

Oppo problem solved. Feels good to be able to hear my rear speakers again. They said the server board went bad somehow. They were extremely apologetic and they took care of the problem in 4 days. they paid for shipping both ways, updated my software, and gave me a courtesy call to make sure everything was alright after i hooked the system up again. Aside from making a great product, the customer service was awesome. I would definitely Go oppo again in the future.
Oppo is the industry standard in everything from performance to customer service.  The same way MBA students study Toyota's "Lean" Method is the same way Sales professionals should study the "Oppo" method of doing business.  I'm hoping they announce something 4k related at CES this January (fingers crossed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.