Much bigger than originally planned 2.35 build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 86 Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Definitely get that figured in BEFORE you go any further. I'd hate to move again and leave another theater behind. And I'm not DIY'ing a 3rd one, so if my wife wants to move, she better have a good reason and a good salary to fund the hired construction of a new one.
So I thought this thread looked familiar - this was my post back in 2013. Sure enough - here it is about a week from 2015 and my 3rd is nearing completion. Thankfully a lot of the room was completed so this one was much easier to work on.

@trancemitr - room and screen looking good! I like the color palette you chose.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD

Last edited by blipszyc; 12-26-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
blipszyc, that's funny you're working on your third. Of course I'm not done yet, but I'm already quite sure the next place will have a theater. However, I don't know that I'll do all the work myself or take on finishing the whole basement. It's a lot of freaking work. Having to install things like bathroom vanities and closets keeps taking away time from finishing my theater!

Thanks for compliments on colors. While it's not a cave, I'm lucky my wife wanted muted colors. I do wish the ceiling could be darker, but at least it's not stark white.
post #63 of 86 Old 12-31-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemitr View Post
I figured it might be nice to show some work being accomplished. This week I built the screen. I used 1x4 poplar and a Kreg pocket hole jig to make a "flush border" screen. Screen material is Seymour XD (which apparently they're no longer going to sell for DIY), and the border is SyFabrics' triple plush. The viewable dimensions are 120"x60" (2.0:1 aspect ratio). With the lens memory on the JVC I plan to do constant image area viewing with some (to be built) manual masks.

I don't think I've ever seen a flush border done, but when I got the idea it seemed like the thing to do. It will make masking especially easy as there will be no gap that way between the screen and the mask/curtain/whatever. The trick to it was using the same thickness of screen frame and border frame materials and then joining them using the pocket holes. I placed braces at the corners to keep them at the same "elevation." I could have done this with more pocket holes and screws if I'd thought to drill the holes before I put on the velvet. Overall, I'm very pleased with how it looks, and the whole thing is light and sturdy.

Now it's time to build the "pillars" for the screen wall. The fun never ends.

I thought about posting this part on the DIY screen forum, but some folks get very upset when you call using an actual screen manufacturer's material DIY. Anyway, enjoy the pics.
Nice! Interesting to see a different way of attaching a frame that what I did on my screen. My problem was I made my screen first and used it for a while thinking I would replace it with a commercial one before deciding to keep it and add a frame after the fact. Have never looked back!

How did you end up hanging it on the wall - french cleats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 86 Old 01-01-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
How did you end up hanging it on the wall - french cleats?
As it turns out I haven't hung it yet. I got pulled away to work on getting the bathroom ready to have my father-in-law come hook up all the plumbing. He comes over tomorrow. If we finish the sinks and toilet I should be able to get the screen false wall going this weekend. Any recommendations for hanging the screen? I've seen the French cleat idea, and Big mentions zbars...
post #65 of 86 Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemitr View Post
As it turns out I haven't hung it yet. I got pulled away to work on getting the bathroom ready to have my father-in-law come hook up all the plumbing. He comes over tomorrow. If we finish the sinks and toilet I should be able to get the screen false wall going this weekend. Any recommendations for hanging the screen? I've seen the French cleat idea, and Big mentions zbars...
I used French cleats and recommend it. Made my own, easy to hang and take down/rehang when necessary, and sucks that screen right up against the wall!
post #66 of 86 Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
First, happy to see another Ferris Bueller disciple according to your avatar

As I read early comments in your thread regarding basement and footfalls (and this might be too late), I'd highly recommend using DC clip and hat channel for the ceiling. I found that using the clips and hat channel, which was really easy to install, cut down sound from the floor above very well. My son juggles his soccer ball in the room above my theater and sound is fairly quiet, compared to when he does it in the second floor and the house sounds like it is coming down. You could do the hat channel across your entire basement ceiling and help eliminate footfall sounds throughout your space.

I used RSIC-V clips and steel furring channel from Home Depot.

Good luck with your continued build!
post #67 of 86 Old 01-02-2015, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

helmsman -- I'll look into the French cleat. Shouldn't be too hard to make.

empirebuilder -- Yes, I am a fan of Ferris Bueller. The avatar software on AVS annoyingly cut out Cameron, but oh well. As to the clips on the ceiling, it's far too late for that. I do believe I'll do something like that in the next place, where I can have more of a dedicated theater space. But it just didn't seem worthwhile in the current configuration, especially when you consider it's just the two of us and we'll be moving in a few years.
post #68 of 86 Old 01-02-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
You can have the french cleat that came with my screen if you want it. Its made out of aluminum

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #69 of 86 Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Scott, thanks for the offer. I think I'll take you up on it. I'll PM you about getting together.
post #70 of 86 Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright you have been keeping us in the dark. updates Man we need updates

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #71 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, it was a while ago that Scott asked for updates, so here goes. IT'S DONE!
Well, as much as anyone on here's theater is ever "done." There are still some tweaks I want to do, but I've been enjoying it for about a month now. The wife and I are very pleased with the results... me ESPECIALLY!

The first pic is of the SEOS 12/DNA 360/TD12M speakers I built. They start to roll off around 80hz, but that's what the 4x SI 18s are for. Those can be found in the second picture with everything else behind the false wall. The third pic shows the utter blackness of the Mellotone speaker grill cloth I used to surround the screen and hide the speakers. For the seats I went with the Fusion Jive from RTheaters. We got the bonded, and they're great. You can see the JVC RS-4910 in the same pic. It's got a gorgeous picture, and I'm really glad I went with a PJ that has the lens memory. I do, however, need to see about having someone play with the colors. I don't know what I'm doing with that stuff, but I've noticed there's just too much red in certain movies.

I still want to work on a manual masking system. I went with a 2.0:1 screen to get more of a constant area (making use of the lens memory), and I love it. But the surrounding wall is so dark that I really want to blacken out the gray bars when I have to deal with them. I also want to work on calibrating the audio more. I played around with REW and my MiniDSP enough to get the subs sounding decent, but I think I can do better given some time and patience.

Anyway, I'll have to have the Omaha crew over some time soon. It was seeing all of your guys' stuff that made me say I really wanted to do it.

Equipment list:
Front L/C/R speakers: DIY SEOS 12/DNA 360/TD12M
Rear/surround speakers: Yamaha NS-IC800
Subs: 4x DIY Stereo Integrity HT18 in 16cuft sonotubes tuned to 16hz
Sub EQ: MiniDSP Balanced 2x4
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1523-k
Sub amp: Cerwin Vega CV-5000
Projector: JVC RS-4910
Screen: DIY 2.0:1 aspect ratio, Seymour Center Stage XD material, surrounded with Black Plush Triple Velvet from SyFabrics
Screen wall: DIY 1x2 MDF frame covered in Mellotone speaker grill cloth
Source: Windows 7 HTPC running MediaBrowser, all media stored on server
Seats: Fusion Jive in black bonded leather
Cables: all sourced from MonoPrice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front speakers.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	690289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the screen wall.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	690297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen wall.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	690305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking at the back of the room.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	690313  
post #72 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
hows the jive loveseat setup? enough space? i was thinking of using something like that for my first row. seeing them in bonded leather, they look great!

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
post #73 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Looks greag Kevin, for a guy who never framed a wall, your theater turned out very nice!

How bout some pics with some Actuon on the Screen?
post #74 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks really awesome Kevin! I bet those subs rumble, any complaints from the neigbors' yet?
post #75 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
hows the jive loveseat setup? enough space? i was thinking of using something like that for my first row. seeing them in bonded leather, they look great!
lpnaz - I actually got the Jives because my wife and I didn't want monstrous chairs (we're both pretty slender). They're narrower and have a more modern look than most. I recently had a pretty large friend and his three kids over. He and I shared the front seats, and we still had plenty of "guy room" between us even without the extra armrest. There are surely chairs that "cradle" your backside more, but we're very pleased.
lpnaz480 likes this.
post #76 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm ready for a invite

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #77 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post
Looks really awesome Kevin! I bet those subs rumble, any complaints from the neigbors' yet?
Anders - No complaints yet. I may have to try Art of Flight at reference some weekend while my wife's away. From what I've heard so far they'll do the job.
post #78 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
I'm ready for a invite
The next couple weekends are no good, but I'll certainly set something up on the Omaha thread before long. The basement has definitely come a long way since the last time you saw it.
post #79 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Crawl

We need to get together and do a Omaha Crawl of our Theaters this fall. Maybe around September or October. I should have my basement completed entirely by then.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #80 of 86 Old 05-01-2015, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know how many folks would be interested in going from the "hub" of homes in west Omaha down to Bellevue, but I'm game to host.
post #81 of 86 Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 521 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
post #82 of 86 Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kevin

Plenty of the guys would love to see what you put together. I think we need to start planning one for this fall.

I was thinking of putting something together for a Saturday at my house. Food Beer and a movie

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #83 of 86 Old 05-02-2015, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
What's your thoughts on the 4 18's how do they sound. Have you had them turned up pretty loud yet please tell...
eng,
I'm really glad I went with four. It's a huge room, and I don't know that fewer would quite do it for me. That being said, at my "comfortable" listening volume I've still got plenty to play with, and that's while I've got the sub level set pretty high. I still want to play with placement and such, but I'm happy. The one thing I missed on the first few movies (before playing with the miniDSP and REW) was the tactile feel. It's much better now, but it's still not what I'm used to in my living room upstairs. Earlier this week, however, I realized I hadn't even tried watching anything from the second row of seats on the riser. The difference from those seats to the ones down on the concrete was very noticeable. All in all I'm very pleased. It makes me think how incredible these things would be in a normal sized room, especially on a suspended floor.
post #84 of 86 Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
Kevin

Plenty of the guys would love to see what you put together. I think we need to start planning one for this fall.

I was thinking of putting something together for a Saturday at my house. Food Beer and a movie
Scott,
This next Saturday wouldn't work for me, but I always enjoy movie night at your place. As to another theater crawl, I guess we just need to get on the Omaha thread and see about a time that will work for everyone. As far as Bellevue goes, Jason may be up for hosting folks, too.
post #85 of 86 Old 05-02-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kevin
I was just throwing that out there not sure what Saturday but I would love to have the gang over for some food & fun

If you and Jason were up for a demo on a crawl that would be 3 theaters we would only need a few more to round out the day. I was thinking September or October for a Theater crawl.

I think i'll post up a thread to see what kind of interest we can generate for a GTG

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #86 of 86 Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hey Kevin I have a question for you. What is the best way to get hold of you?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page